PDA

View Full Version : tell me about chains please

biggimp
01-04-2007, 12:19 AM
so i want to start incorporating chains into my workout. it should be fun doing this at 24 hour fitness by the way hahaha.

anyways, how big of chain do i need? should there still be some chain resting on the floor when my arms are fully locked out? and do you just drape it over the bar? do you usually supplement a chain lift with regular plates on the bar as well? how heavy of chains should i use if i am benching in the 305-315 range for a single right now?

thank you very much!

WBBIRL
01-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Chains are usually on collars that slide over the end of an oly barbell. Chain weights and lengths and even weight per link vary by who made them. I've used them in highschool but havent since (our football team had chains). They increase the weight as you go up.

They vary quite alot. Chain weight to use is whatever you fell it should be. Some use them to shake things up. IE with chains and 315 pounds of plates on the bench I could easily do bench press because at the bottom which is the hardest part of the lift for me I'm good for at most 355-360, but through the middle and at the top I'm good for atleast 405.

stepto180
01-04-2007, 01:06 AM
at my gym we have chains that are about 8-10 ft long we dont have collars attacted to them we just have another little chain with link that hooks we use the little chain as a collar...
you can just do chain in half hanging from the bar
or if you want more resistance you can take the ends and loop it back thru the loop
the ends should be close to touching the floor when fully locked out if not actually touching
add the chains to weight on the bar

NickW
01-04-2007, 04:51 PM
adding chains when benching is great for building the shoulders and your other stabilizer muscles, if you want so true torture add both chains and bands.......a lot of fun until you wake up the next morning.

Chris686
01-04-2007, 06:33 PM
adding chains when benching is great for building the shoulders and your other stabilizer muscles, if you want so true torture add both chains and bands.......a lot of fun until you wake up the next morning.

I've always been curious about why one would use chains.

Is it just to work out stabilizers?

Sensei
01-04-2007, 06:47 PM
A good set of chains is attached to the barbell sleeves by a connector chain so that at the bottom of the movement all of the heavy chain is on the floor (and the weight is deloaded from the bar).
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/johnnymnemonic/5a4a79e7.jpg
As you stand, the chain will come off the floor and add resistance.

There should also be at least a link or two left on the floor to limit the swaying of the chain.
Here's a video of squatting w. chains: http://media.putfile.com/squat-w-chain--chop

edit: (I forgot to mention) the basic idea is the same w. bench press. The chain I use is 5/8" diameter chain - it's cut into 5' lengths that weigh about 20lbs each. You can also use tow chain that is 3/8" diameter and 14' lengths and it weighs about the same.

waynedang
01-04-2007, 08:14 PM

Nick that is just wrong and mean to suggest that:evillaugh . One or the other is bad enough sometimes but both :eek: .

I may add chains to my bands on fri day for fun. As my lock out could always use more work.:)

Wayne

NickW
01-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Nick that is just wrong and mean to suggest that:evillaugh . One or the other is bad enough sometimes but both :eek: .

I may add chains to my bands on fri day for fun. As my lock out could always use more work.:)

Wayne

start light bro, its a bitch on the shoulders (but boy does it help the lockout and force you to stay tight). I only do this maybe 2-3 (at most) during a 12 week training cycle. ETS really does make these days more bearable.

Sensei, the swaying of the chain is what makes it fun....really gets those stabilizers working, lol.