PDA

View Full Version : glycemic index

homeboy7600
01-06-2007, 02:37 PM
does any have any good articles explaining the glycemic index and how to use it? i keep looking it up on search engines and keep gettting program promotions

ArchAngel777
01-06-2007, 04:10 PM
The glycemic index is only useful if you are only eating carbohydrates. If you mix a high GI food with some fats and protein, it will slow the digestion speed down and would probably digest slower than a lower GI food. I really don't have the exact numbers, but if you are eating a balanced meal you shouldn't need to worry about it so much.

But anyway, GI is measurement used to determine how long something a certain carbohydrate will take to convert to glucose. Right before and after a workout you would want a high GI carb, because you need the energy then and there, not 2 hours later... Another reason you don't want to trust the glycemic index to much is that Fructose is a low GI, so people think they should load up on it... That isn't true though, because fructose will spill over into fat if you eat to much of it. According to Lyle, the body can only synthesize 50g of fructose in a 24 hour period. So 50g of fruit sugars a day, or 100g of candy bar sugars. Table Sugar (Sucrose) = 1:1 ratio of Fructose and Glucose. Glucose is what you want, so table sugar is 1/2 good, 1/2 not so good... Basically, avoid high intake of table sugar or fructose and you shouldn't need to worry to much about carbohydrates so much, unless you live on them solely...

FireRescue
01-07-2007, 11:43 AM
The glycemic index is only useful if you are only eating carbohydrates. If you mix a high GI food with some fats and protein, it will slow the digestion speed down and would probably digest slower than a lower GI food.

Right before and after a workout you would want a high GI carb, because you need the energy then and there, not 2 hours later...

I also find GI research and information interesting. I have not read too much about the impact of fats and proteins consumed with high GI carbs. That is an interesting thought and logically it makes sense. I guess I will have to read up on it a bit.

One question, in the statements I quoted above from your post aren't they somewhat contradictory since most people also consume protein post workout?

ArchAngel777
01-07-2007, 12:36 PM
One question, in the statements I quoted above from your post aren't they somewhat contradictory since most people also consume protein post workout?

The protein that they consume is generally in the form of "whey" which is very fast digesting. Generally speaking, any liquid will be processed much faster than any solid. If you were to eat a can of tuna fish along with some dextrose, then it would somewhat defeating as a post workout shake. Though some even argue if high GI carbs are even worth it ever, meaning, will getting glucose 15 to 30 minutes faster really make a difference in composition and or performance? That is subject to debate...

Holto
01-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Once you understand the fundamentals of digestion you realize that GI is nearly irrelevant.

If you are going to research something use glycemic load and digestion.