PDA

View Full Version : Thrillhouse's Journal

thrillhouse
01-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Today's as good a day as any to start the journal. It's my 36th birthday, and my cut begins today in earnest.

So...I'm 36, 5'11", 234 lbs. Some starting pix:

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/thrillhouse/forlizzardback.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/thrillhouse/forlizzardback2.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/thrillhouse/forlizzardback3.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/thrillhouse/forlizzardlegs.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/thrillhouse/forlizzard.jpg

I suppose these sorts of requests are better saved for picture threads, but I don't want to be a post whore...can anyone guesstimate my body fat percentage? My scale says 24%, but really the only places I carry fat are on my midsection.

If anyone has some areas I should work on (other than abs, of course!), I'd be up for suggestions.

My primary goal is to hit around 220lbs, without dropping much in the way of mass. After that, I'll re-evaluate things and see where I am. My plan is to basically not change my workout (mostly fairly heavy combo sets and multi-joint compound exercises) at all, but control the diet & drinking.

thrillhouse
01-08-2007, 09:17 AM
OK, apparently I have to have 10 posts to post links.

Unholy
01-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Looking pretty good. I would say shoulders a tad and chest. Its hard to tell though. When you lean out you can get better critique on proportions. As far as body fat is concerned I would guess you to be about 18-20%

TwiloMike
01-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Welcome to journal land!

I would guess your bf% to be <20% by a fairly significant amount: you seem to be love-handle-free.

TwiloMike
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Oh, and :birthday:

Organichu
01-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, definitely below 24%. I'm thinking about 17-18%. Legs are looking great.

Looking big.

thrillhouse
01-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Upper body tonight. Didn't drink last night, ate well (salmon w/ broc & cauli). Looking forward to tonight.

Unholy
01-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Looking forward to seeing your lifting. You sure look like a badass.

thrillhouse
01-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Ate well yesterday, enough to be juiced for my workout, and a lite dinner afterwards. Probably should have had more protein with dinner, but didn't feel like cooking. No alcohol, two nights in a row! :D

Upper body workout went well. All work done with no spotter or equipment and with barbells unless otherwise noted.

Combo set: Bench Press and weighted pull ups.
BP: 275x5, 295x5, 315x5
PU: 25x5, 25x5, 25x5

Notes: Could have done more 25x8's on the PU, but shoulders were a bit tweaked.

Combo set: Incline Bench Press & Bent-over rows.
IBP: 235x5, 255x5, 275x3
BOR: 225x5, 225x5, 225,5

Notes: IBP...Gave out on 275. Bar wobbled, and I couldn't recover. Could have gotten 4 solo, 5 w/ spotter. Am still recovering from wrist problems.
BOR: Should have done 225x8x3.

Combo set: Dumbbell flyes & standing curls
DBF: 70x8, 70x8, 70x8
SC: 70x5, 70x5, 70x5

Notes: Need do go up to 75 for DBF.

Combo set: Seated Close Grip Rows, Rope Press Downs
SCGR: 185x8, 195x8, 205x5
RPD: 100x8, 110x8, 110x7

Notes: Biceps were too pumped up from PU and SC to get more than 5 reps at 205. Good feeling. RPD: awkward motion. On a different pulley system, I can go much higher.

I did some light ab work while waiting for an elliptical machine to clear up so that I could do some HIIT. Nothing major, concentration crunches, side crunches, leg lifts (to full L position and hold at top), and some 1-minute planks. The machine never cleared up (too many New Years Resolution-ists), so I left.

Tonight will be lower body & shoulders.

Unholy
01-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Oh snap nice work. Do you purposely work using antagonist pairs? Its something I recently learned about and I am looking to incorporate it into my own workouts.

thrillhouse
01-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks. I like the workout quite a bit. It keeps me moving the whole time I'm in the gym. Finish a set on the Bench, and straight over to pull ups.

It's more difficult to do for legs, though, as the hamstrings are more incorporated into most of your quad movements than your back is when you bench...and that's to say nothing of changing out the equipment, etc.

Tonight's lower body....squats, lunges, STDL, calf raises. I also do shoulder work on leg day. They're just too spent otherwise. I don't do a helluva lot for shoulders (and apparently it shows!). Mostly just overhead DB presses and shrugs. I've never been a big fan of raises.

If it weren't for my wrists acting up, I'd do some cleans. :mad:

TwiloMike
01-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Nice work, thrill! The pressing looks mad heavy (I'm still jealous). 315 makes me faint.

thrillhouse
01-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Last night was Leg night. I wasn't really feeling it, so I didn't go very heavy, and I skipped shoulders.

Squats: 315x8, 315x8, 315x8
Lunges: 225x8, 225x8, 225x8
Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 225x8, 245x8, 245x8
Calf Raises on leg press: 675x15, 855x15, 945x15

As I said, I was pretty beat, so that was all I did.

Didn't feel like cooking so I met a friend at the pub and had a Chicken wrap & 4 pints for dinner.

Alcohol will be my biggest battle.

TwiloMike
01-12-2007, 06:37 AM
“Here's to alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

thrillhouse
01-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Heh! I love (live?) that quote? I wish I could just quit for a month and work out hard core...I think that would really put me over the edge, I think. I'm working on cutting back on drinking, but it's really hard. Had about 6 pints last night. :(

Today is upper body.

Stumprrp
01-13-2007, 08:26 AM
wow nasty triceps dude! your a big guy and very impressive pressing numbers. nice beer consumption too! :D

thrillhouse
01-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Heh. Thanks man. Those pictures don't really show them off very well, but I'm hoping when I finish my cut that they really pop.

Being Irish/Navaho...jeez, alcohol is practically a way of life.
:mad:

Stumprrp
01-13-2007, 08:43 AM
haha hey us italians like our alcohol also man

thrillhouse
01-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Just got back from the gym. Had a kickass workout.

Upper body workout went well. All work done with no spotter or equipment and with barbells unless otherwise noted.

BP: 280x5, 300x5, 320x5 <---went up 5lbs in all!!!!! :)
PU: 25x5, 25x5, 25x5

Notes: I got the bench, even with the higher weight, no spotter, no problem. I'd love to max soon. I'll have to get my brother to come & spot for me.

IBP: 235x5, 255x5, 275x4 <---got 1 more at 275, the rest felt great

Notes: This set really wears me out.

DBF: 70x8, 75x8, 80x8
SC: 70x5, 75x5, 80x3

Notes: on the SC, at 80x3...I just didn't care enough to try for four. I was pretty spent.

SCGR: 180x8, 200x8, 220x5
RPD: 100x8, 100x8, 100x8

Notes: Biceps were too pumped up from PU and SC to get more than 5 reps at 220. It was a good pull though.

After my strength training, I did 30 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical machine. 5 Minute warm up, 1 minute at ~ 85% max effort, 2 minutes normal pace...repeat for 7 reps and cool down for a few minutes at the end.

I feel like I could move mountains right now, but in reality, I'll probably have a hard time running the vacuum cleaner later.

thrillhouse
01-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Legs tonight. Was feeling pretty good, so I did some extra work.

Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 225x8, 245x8, 245x8
I was still feeling energetic, so I burned out on deadlifts at 225. Twice.

Calf Raises on leg press: 8 PPS, 9 PPS, 10 PPS, 11 PPS

I still had juice left, so I did 30 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical machine.

Spinach salad & chicken breast for dinner, so I did pretty well today.

thrillhouse
01-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Chest tonight. Hit it hard, followed it up with 30 minutes of HIIT.

I've been eating like crazy lately...craving salt.

TwiloMike
01-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Chest tonight. Hit it hard, followed it up with 30 minutes of HIIT.

I've been eating like crazy lately...craving salt.

Are you pregnant? ;)

Nice workouts so far. What did you do for chest?

thrillhouse
01-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Are you pregnant? ;)

Hehe. No, there's a prerequisite to that that has not been filled in a while.

:mad:

Nice workouts so far. What did you do for chest?

It was the same as what I did on the 13th, with HIIT afterwards.

Today is chest again, but I'm going to change things up a bit. I'll be lowering the weight a bit but increasing volume via reps. I'm going to try sets of 15 just for fun, to see if the extra volume and change can kick start things a bit.

Unholy
01-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Keep it up man. Beast that workouts. 30 minutes of HIIT after lifting is intense.

thrillhouse
01-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Jesus, that was a workout.

Upper body today. I've been reading a lot about high volume training and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Combo set: Bench Press and pull ups.
BP: 225x15, 225x15, 225x15
PU: 15, 15, 15

Notes: This was brutal. My chest was OK on the BP, but my triceps gave out around the 13th rep on the last set. I couldn't do the pullups non-stop, the last set ended up being 8, 4, 3 reps with just a few seconds of rest.

IBP: 185x15, 165x15, 135x15
BOR: 135x15, 135x15, 135x15

Notes: IBP: My triceps were good and spent from the flat bench earlier. I felt like a total wuss having only 135 on the bar on the last set...until I did the set. The pump was ridiculous.
BOR: Not much to say here, I could have gone a bit higher, but I was almost panting after these combo sets.

DBF: 40s x15, 40s x15, 40s x15
SC: 40s x15, 40s x15, 40s x15

Notes: I was so pumped at this point that I had a hard time getting the weights to touch at the top of the flyes and I could barely get it up to my pecs when I was doing the curls.

SCGR: 145x15, 145x15, 145x15
RPD: 50x15, 50x15, 50x15

Notes: Interesting side effect of being so pumped. I really felt the rows across my back. It was impressive.

Overall, the workout was amazing. I felt like I was doing cardio with weights strapped on. It was ridiculous. I tried to do HIIT at the end, but I just didn't have it. Just had a quick sandwich and now I'm going to collapse.

thrillhouse
01-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Wow. Actually sore this morning in my pecs.

Legs today. This will be brutal.

kraceykat
01-21-2007, 07:38 AM
your journal is coming along nicely. you lift quite a bit! keep up the good work, im sure you'll get to where you want to be, even with the beer! ;)

Stumprrp
01-21-2007, 07:45 AM
dude, that is a brutal workout LOL!! i would of looked like a balloon! how was the pump? 225 x 15 for 3 sets is sick dude 225 x 15 is my max lol, i also have a hard time doing pullups non stop for more then 12 or so reps.

keep it up BIG MAN

TwiloMike
01-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow, 4 huge combo movements in a row.... you're strong, dude. I am very impressed. Glad you found your pump. :)

thrillhouse
01-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

To be honest, I don't think I'll be doing that workout again anytime soon. It was just...not fun. I don't know how else to put it, it just didn't feel good. It was brutal, but not really in a good way. I had a hard time getting my heart to slow down between sets, and that was a bit scary.

Today was lower body, shoulders, abs, and HIIT.

Lower body:
Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 225x8, 240x8, 245x8
Deadlifts: 225x8, 225x8, 225x8
Calf Raises on leg press: 855x15, 945x15, x1035

Shoulders
Combo sets:
Overhead Presses 80x8
Shrugs 100x8

Followed up by a bunch of ab work and 30 minutes of HIIT.

TwiloMike
01-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Nice workout again.

How is the shredding coming along?

thrillhouse
01-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Nice workout again.

How is the shredding coming along?

Not well at all. :mad: It's been a month of holidays, birthdays, football playoffs, and various celebrations. I've actually gained weight.

Today, I started counting calories again. This weekend, I'm hosting a party at my house (complete with BBQ), for a local celebration, so that'll be caloric.

Cutting sucks. I know the reward will be worth it, but damn.

One thing that's really bothering me of late is that my legs are getting bigger. I've been very consistent in my workouts, and I'm gaining muscle on my already bulky legs. They feel bulky, anyway. I'm hoping with the cut they'll shrink, but it's not fat I'm gaining, so I'm a bit concerned. I really like what all the leg work has been doing for my er...rear, but I don't want giant quads. I have a hard enough time finding pants as is.

TwiloMike
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Not well at all. :mad: It's been a month of holidays, birthdays, football playoffs, and various celebrations. I've actually gained weight.

Today, I started counting calories again. This weekend, I'm hosting a party at my house (complete with BBQ), for a local celebration, so that'll be caloric.

Cutting sucks. I know the reward will be worth it, but damn.

One thing that's really bothering me of late is that my legs are getting bigger. I've been very consistent in my workouts, and I'm gaining muscle on my already bulky legs. They feel bulky, anyway. I'm hoping with the cut they'll shrink, but it's not fat I'm gaining, so I'm a bit concerned. I really like what all the leg work has been doing for my er...rear, but I don't want giant quads. I have a hard enough time finding pants as is.

:whiner: Boo hoo my legs are too big. Spare me, girlfriend. :whip:

The beginning of a cut is difficult but then it becomes a habit. Good luck with that!

thrillhouse
01-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah, the beginning of the cut sucks. It's just particularly difficult right now with all the planned celebrations, holidays, parties, and birthdays.

I know I'm making excuses, but dammit, they're good excuses! :smoke:

Anywho....tonight was upper body.

BP: 275x8, 295x7, 315x5, 315x1
PU: Body weight x 10 for each set

Notes: The gym was really fracking packed, and some other gym rats were using the weight belt.

IBP: 235x5, 255x5, 275x4

Notes: IBP...Still can't quite get the 5th rep on the last set of inclines at 275. Maybe if I had a spotter...my triceps just give out. Need to build some strength there.

Worried about going higher in reps on the BOR...it's just enough weight to make me strain, and sometimes I feel it in my upper back, right between my shoulder blades. I've had neck problems stemming from pulled muscles in that region before, so I don't want to push it too much.

On the other hand, I tried a closer grip than normal, and the effect was NICE. I could feel this much better in my lats than normal. Usually, my hands are just outside shoulder width, but today, I brought them slightly in. It rocks.

DBF: 75x8, 75x8, 75x8
SC: 75x5, 75x3, 75x3

Notes: Felt pretty good. Could still feel the slightest tenderness from Saturday's insanity.

The gym was getting so packed that I just lost interest in being there. I hate that. This is why I usually work out on Wed/Thurs, Sat/Sun...there's just too many people. I did some incline ab work and skipped the normal Seated Close Grip Rows, and Rope Press Downs.

Not so funny story:

While I was doing my bench work, there was this dork in an obviously brand-spanking-new work out outfit on the next bench. He wasn't skinny, not fat, just kinda average, but around 6'1", maybe 2 bills. Anyway, he asked me for a spot, so I said sure. I look over at the bar, and he had 245 on. Mind you, he was grunting and swearing at 225.

I told him how I spot someone. "Do you want a lift out?" He nodded. "OK, I'll help you get it out, then I won't touch it unless you stop moving it." He responds with, "OK, I'm doing eight." Me: Riiiiiight. I'm doing a lot of the lifting on his third set. Whatever.

I went over to do my inclines & BORs, and he followed me with two medicine balls. As I'm setting up the Incline, he was doing pushups on the balls, then asked if he could work in with me. I look over at the empty incline not a foot away, and just kinda gave him a look. "Well, this way I won't have to keep asking you for a spot." Got news for you buddy, I'm not spotting you when you're lifting your 85 lbs. So I explained that I was going to be doing combo sets and that I'd be moving really fast and lifting heavier than he was. "Oh, fine, whatever" and he stomped off. Sorry kid.

Icing on the cake: when I left, the same kid was waiting for the elevator. Our parking garage at the gym only has three floors.

Takes all types, I guess.

thrillhouse
01-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Oh yeah. I didn't drink anything last night! Baby steps, right? I'm not drinking tonight either, but I have a date tomorrow night and we're going to a wine bar.

Ah well.

thrillhouse
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Legs today.
Lunges: 185x8, 185x8, 185x8
Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 225x8, 225x8, 225x8
Deadlifts: 225x8, 225x8, 225x8

The damned gym was packed...again. God, I hate this time of year.

I was doing my squats and people kept walking this -> <- far behind me. That really screws you up when you're looking in the mirror and trying to watch your form and some yahoo tries to slide underneath your plates. Jesus.

I hate those idiots. Give me some room, you moron. Oh, and then there's this "trainer" hammerhead working out some chick and he insisted on working out right next to me. And when I say right next to me, I mean when I finished a set and turned around, there he was.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just in a crappy mood.

:swear:

thrillhouse
01-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Did upper body Friday...and I just didn't have it. I did my bench & weighted pull-ups like normal, but gave out pretty hard on the last set.

I'm a firm believer in listening to your body, so I left the gym and skipped the rest of the workout. It was my fault, I hadn't eaten properly.

Today is supposed to be lower body day, but I'm exhausted from Gasparilla yesterday, so I may just rest.

Stumprrp
01-28-2007, 08:23 AM
295 x 7 on bench is sick man!

i hear you on the people getting in the way, ive had that happen a few times but most of the time they stay FAR away

thrillhouse
01-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Well, I'm bored silly with my routine. In truth, I've been on it for about the last 10 or so weeks...usually, I can only stand about 6-8 weeks, TOPS. So, to alleviate the boredom, I've decided to do something new for a month or so.

I'm finally getting to the end of the holiday/party season. For me that lasts from Thanksgiving to the Super Bowl. There's just too many things going on...Thanksgiving, friend's birthdays, NCAA championship games, Sunday NFL, NFL playoffs, Xmas weekend, different friend's birthday, New Years, my birthday, yet another friend's birthday, Gasparilla, and finally, the Super Bowl. Whew, I got bored just writing all that.

Anyway, I'm hoping this new routine will kick start my cut--not that it's anything revolutionary or anything, it's just different for me, so my body will have to respond. I'm moving from my two day twice weekly upper/lower split to this:

Tuesday: Deadlifts, moderate cardio (5 minute warm up, 2 mile run, 5 minute cool down)

Wednesday: Chest & Back
Bench & Weighted Pull ups (combo set)
Incline Bench & Bent Over Row (barbell) (combo set)
Flyes & One Arm Dummbell Row (combo set)
Dips & bodyweight pull ups
30 minutes HIIT on the Elliptical machine

Thursday: Arms, Abs, Cardio (haven't figured what yet, maybe stair steppers or sprints) Haven't nailed down the Arm routine yet, but it'll be sure to include heavy seated incline curls as the meat & potatoes of the workout.

Saturday: Legs, no cardio
Squats
Barbell Lunges
Romanian Deads
Calf raises

Sunday: Shoulders, Abs, Cardio
Clean & Press
Arnold Press
Shrugs
Something for rear delts, haven't decided what yet

For the Ab work, I'll be mixing up weighted decline situps, decline alternating situps, pikes, L's, leg lifts, and hanging running man, some on one ab day, the others on the other. I do my ab work very intensely, blowing most of my breath out during the contraction...it's just a left over habit from my martial arts days.

thrillhouse
01-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Damn, today sucked. A bunch of crap going down at work (won't bore you here), and I came home to find out that my plumbing is out.

And...since I had to work late, I' won't be able to make it to the gym until wayyyy late, and it'll be packed.

Hell with it. I'll go tomorrow.

thrillhouse
02-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Did Chest & Back today. I have a Ganglion Cyst on my wrist that is flaring up right now, so I had to use a compression wrap for my hand.

Chest & Back

Bench: 275x5, 295x5, 315x5
WPU: 25x5, 25x5, 25x5

Notes: Felt pretty good. Did my normal sets, but wrist kinda gave out on the last rep of the last set. The weighted pull ups were easy. Need to add more weight.

IB: 225x8 for all three sets.
BOR: 225x5 for all three sets.

Notes: Felt good. Had nice pump going. Would have gone heavier & done my normal sets, but wrist was hurting.

Flyes: 70x8x3
DBR: 100x5x3

Notes: Arms were getting pretty pumped with the Pullups, rows, and DBRs.

Couldn't do due to wrist

30 minutes HIIT on the Elliptical machine

EVERY single piece of equipment was taken. I hate my gym. I'm going to break out my stationary from the garage and do an hour.

On the down side, I'm pretty sure I'm getting sick. That sucks, as I have a date for Spam-a-lot tomorrow night. I'll bike, hit some cold medicine, a long hot shower, then it's off to Tylenol PM induced sleep.

:)

thrillhouse
02-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Shoulders and Arms

Overhead Dumbbell presses & Dumbbell Shrugs Combo Set
OHP: 85x5, 85x5, 90x5, 90x5, 95x5
Shrugs: 100x10, 100x10, 100x10, 100x10, 100x10

Seated Incline Curls & Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extensions Combo Set
SIC: 60x5, 60x5, 60x5
OTE: 80x10, 90x10, 100x10

Standing Overhead Presses & Upright Rows Combo Set
SOP: 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
UR: 135x5, 135x5, 135x5

Triceps Pressdowns
TP: 100x10, 115x10, 130x5

Preacher Curls
PC: 95x5, 95x5, 95x5

HIIT on the elliptical machine: 30 minutes.

Notes: Got a crazy pump today.

thrillhouse
02-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Did Legs today.

Squats: 315x8x3
Lunges: 225x8, 235x8, 245x8
Stiff legged deads: 235x8, 255x8, 275x8
Calf raises on the leg press: 945x15, 1035x15, 1125x15

30 Minutes HIIT on the elliptical machine

Notes:

I could squat higher, I know. I used to have knee problems, so I'm a bit worried about it.

The lunges were tough with the extra weight, but the stiffies weren't too bad. Moving Deadlifts to their own day was a good idea, I think, since I can focus on them a bit more.

The HIIT back-to-back days was tough, I came home drenched. In a good way. :)

thrillhouse
02-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Chest & Back today.

Bench: 275x5, 295x5, 315x5
WPU: 25x5, 25x5, 25x5

Notes: Felt pretty good. Did my normal sets, but wrist kinda gave out on the last rep of the last set. The weighted pull ups were easy. Need to add more weight. Hell, same notes almost exactly as last workout.

IB: 225x5, 255x5, 275x3
BOR: 225x5 for all three sets.

Notes: Gave out on the last set.

I'm dropping these from the workout. I question the value of flyes and I don't really like the motion of the One Arm DB Rows.

Dips: 15 for 3 sets
Pull Ups: 5 for 3 sets

Arms got pretty pumped, and the pull ups were getting pretty difficult (due to pump).

Once again, all the cardio machines were taken. I didn't really want to do any anyway though, so it was OK. Still, I'm going to go and check out Extreme Fitness, the only other "real" gym tomorrow. I'd gladly switch if there's a bit more room. My current "gym" is turning beginning to suffer from "health-club-itis", stuffing in more and more crappy machines and stupid equipment. To make it even better, they make room for all that by losing a bench, and stuffing the others so close that there's barely enough room between bars to put weights on it. Dammit, i hate that.

Anyway, overall, it was a good workout.

Detard
02-07-2007, 04:16 PM
great workout thrillhouse. killin the weights!

TwiloMike
02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Great workouts, thrill! Your numbers make me want to cry. :( Hope you find a decent gym, though. My gym has also been health-clubby lately. Today someone actually asked me what the rack pulls were for (as in, what makes them different from deads).. which was kind of nice: someone cares about stuff.

thrillhouse
02-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Thursday night I did Deadlifts. 315x5x3.

No biggie, but it felt good.

Today was Shoulders & Arms.

OH DB Presses & Shrugs combo
OH DB Presses 90xt5, 95x5, 100x5
Shrugs 100x15 each set.

Could have gone higher, but 100s are the heaviest my gym has.

OH Barbell Presses
135x5, 165x5, 185x5

Hate this motion. Not because it was hard, but mostly because it was just awkward.

Seated Bent Over Dumbbell raises. 45x8. Easy, but again, I hate this movement.

Press down/pull up combo (hands facing each other). 115x8x3, bodyweight x 5 for each pullup set.

Then for fun I repped out on push ups....25 reps for three sets.

Decent workout and I was definitely sweating when it was done.

thrillhouse
02-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Did Legs today.

Squats: 315x5x3
Stiff legged deads: 235x8, 255x8, 275x8

I wasn't feeling it today, so I skipped the calf raises and hiit. Just didn't have it.

thrillhouse
02-14-2007, 04:45 PM
OK, so I'm getting too big on this other routine. I swear, I can actually see new size in my legs after only a couple of workouts. OK, maybe not, but it damn sure feels like it. My legs burn and are pumped forever, and my knees are aching.

In practice, I don't really like this routine very much. It takes away any flexibility and I find it very limiting. So....back to the upper/lower split twice weekly.

Today was upper.

BP: 280x5, 300x5, 320x5,
PU: 25x5x3

Notes: Wrist problems limited my strength here, but I still went up 5 lbs in every lift on the bench.

IBP: 235x5, 255x5, 275x3

Notes: IBP...Dammit. I still just can't get that 275. I think I'll drop the weights and start going up workout to workout with the same weight. There has to be a way.

Combo set: OH Dumbbell Presses (seated) and Shrugs
OHDBP: 85x5, 90x5, 100x5
SH: 100x15x3

Notes: Someone was doing triceps extensions with the 95's so I skipped them. Got the 100's no problem.

Combo set: Incline DB Curls & OH Triceps Extensions
IDBC: 60x5x3
SH: 100x10x3

At this point the gym was packed, so I left.

thrillhouse
02-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Legs tonight. Changed up the order, and it felt pretty good.

Squats: 315x5x3
Deads: 315x5x3
Lunges: 185x8x3
Stiff Leg DLs: 245x8x3
Calf Raises (on the leg press): 9pps, 10pps, 11pps, 12pps

thrillhouse
02-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Skipped upper body yesterday. I just didn't have it. To be honest, I think I was fighting a bug of some kind...I spent most of the day on the couch.

To make up for it, I'll do a full-body today. Hard and heavy. Bench, Weighted Pull Ups, Squats, Deadlifts, and OH presses.

Kinda looking forward to it.

thrillhouse
02-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Oh, weight wise, I've been logging in the 232 range this week...then this morning, I hit 235.

I know I'll be back down tomorrow, but still. :bang:

thrillhouse
02-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Today was one of those great days that makes you remember why you work out.

I did a full body workout since I missed yesterday's workout.

Bench Press & Weighted Pull Up Combo Set

BP: 285x5, 305x5, 325x3, 325x2
PU: 35x5, 35x5, 35x5

Notes: Felt great. The pull ups were fantastic, I got them all, with no problems. Awesome pump.

Overhead Presses & Shrugs Combo Set
OHP: 90x8, 95x8, 100x5
SH: 100x15, 100x15, 100x15

Notes: Good set. The Shrugs are too light, but my gym doesn't have any heavier DBs, and I don't want to do them in the squat rack (Don't want to be that guy.) Maybe I can work them into legs or deadlift day.

Deadlifts

DL: 315x5, 315x5, 315x5

Notes: Felt great. Since I've been doing DLs on a regular basis, they're pretty much tied with Bench Presses & Pull Ups as my favorite exercises.

I would have squated first, but the squat racks were taken.

Squats

SQ: 315x5, 315x5, 315x5

Notes: Very odd squatting after doing deads. My legs were a bit shakey (hadn't eaten properly, had done DLs) when I started, but I got through them OK.
--------------

By the time I was finished, I was soaked in sweat, my legs were quivering, my shins were scraped bloody from the Deads, and I had a bruise across my traps from the squats.

I felt like a total badass when I left the gym.
:thumbup:

thrillhouse
02-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Nothing much to say. Pigged out at lunch (my bad, I didn't eat properly)...30 minutes HIIT on the elliptical.

thrillhouse
02-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm going back to my strength building routine. I've kinda plateaued out on my bench.

BP: 290x5x3

Notes: Miscalculated my first set on the bench and did 305x5. Whoops.

Incline Bench Press & Bent Over Rows Combo Set
IB: 245x5x3
BOR: 225x5x3

Notes: I can't seem to keep my form going any higher than 225 on the rows. Any suggestions anyone? My upper body just comes up, and I can't help it. Am I using too much weight?

Decline Bench Press & T-bar Rows
IB: 225x8x3
Tbar: 135x8x3

Notes: The gym just added the Tbar machine, and I was feeling froggy, so I added the declines and the tbar. I'd forgotten how much I like declines. They just make my chest feel full and well rounded through out. And the T-bar...I haven't used it in ages. I used a wide grip, and was loving it.

Overhead Dumbbell Presses & Shrugs Combo Set
OHP: 90x8, 90x5, 90x5

Notes: Lost control of the DB on the second set...hottie walked behind me in the mirror, and broke my concentration. :)

Incline DB Curls & OH DB Triceps Extentions
IB: 60x5x2
BOR: 100x8x2

Notes: I would have continued the sets, but felt a sharp pain in my forearm. Always listen to your body. I just walked away.

Today, I'll be doing legs.

thrillhouse
02-25-2007, 06:52 AM
Pretty Standard Lower Body Workout...all natural, no aids. No gloves or wraps or belts.

Squats

315x5x3 (working sets)

Notes: I know I can do more, but honestly, I'm a bit concerned without a spotter. I guess I just need to man up. On the plus side, as my strength has been increasing, my form is improving drastically. Yesterday, all sets and all reps were darn near perfect form.

Deadlifts

315x5, 340x5, 365x5

Notes: These were great. Heavy, but great. Not too bad, considering that I've only been DL'ing seriously for a month or so.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts

225x8, 250x8, 275x8

Notes: These felt pretty good. I'm not sure I really need them doing (for me) heavy deadlifts. They're a nice way to burn out the hammys though.

I skipped calf work, as I was trying to get home so I could get ready for a date. :thumbup:

thrillhouse
02-27-2007, 05:10 PM
2nd workout on the strength building routine.

BP: 295x5x3

Notes: Felt great. The weight was not problem, and the pump was awesome.

IB: 250x5x3
BOR: 225x8, 225x7, 225x5

Notes: Form was better on the rows. Probably could have done more reps on the last set, but my form was starting to go.

Decline Bench Press & T-bar Rows Combo Set
IB: 245x8x3
Tbar: 180x8x3

Notes: I'm really enjoying this combo set. Great pump in chest, lats, and arms.

OHP: 90x5, 90x5, 90x5

Notes: Nothing much to say. The set was good.

IB: 60x5x3
OHDBE: 100x8x3

Notes: Felt good, controlled the weight the whole way through.

Stumprrp
02-27-2007, 05:12 PM
your a beast big Thrill

thrillhouse
02-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks Stumprrp! It was a really good workout. I had an apple and a PB & Honey Sandwich around 3 or so, so by the time I got to the gym @ 4:30, I was energized.

thrillhouse
03-01-2007, 06:09 AM
My Air Conditioning unit broke yesterday, so I had to stay home. Lower body tonight.

thrillhouse
03-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Pretty Standard Lower Body Workout...all natural, no aids. No gloves or wraps or belts.

Squats

315x5x3 (working sets)

Notes: Weight it getting easier...time to go up.

Lunges

225x5x3

Notes: I could have done more, but was trying to save juice for Deadlifts.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts

225x5, 250x5, 275x5

Notes: As Above.

Deadlifts

315x5, 340x3, 365x2

Notes: Heavy. Ran out of gas.

Calf Raises on the Leg Press

9pps x 15, 10pps x 15, 11pps x 15, 12 pps x 15

Notes: Felt ok, but feet were stiff.

thrillhouse
03-03-2007, 03:43 PM
3rd workout on the strength building routine. DAMMIT! Should have gone up in weight.

BP: 295x5x3

Notes: Felt great. The weight was not problem, and the pump was awesome.

BOR: 245x5x3

Notes: Finally went up on BOR. Cheated a bit on the third set.

Tbar: 180x5x3

Notes: I'm really enjoying this combo set. Great pump in chest, lats, and arms.

OHP: 90x5, 90x5, 90x5

Notes: Probably 95's next time

IB: 60x5x1
OHDBE: Skipped

Notes: Sharp twinge on first set, right arm. Stopped.

muscle chic
03-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Nice work!!

thrillhouse
03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks MuscleChic! Now if I could only get my diet in order. :(

Didn't feel like it tonight...some guy was on the bench and slapped 275 on. No big deal, that's what I start with. He was a bit shorter than me, and not quite as thick. He went from 275 to 315...to 365....to 405...to 455...to 495. Jesus. He was using all kinds of crappy form after 365, and was only hitting for one rep, but still.

Anyway, lower body tonight.

Squats

315x5, 340x5, 365x5

Notes: Went up in weight. Felt fine. I could have probably even gone higher.

Deadlifts

315x5, 340x5, 365x3

Notes: These felt great. I could have gotten all five at 365, but my grip slipped.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts

225x5, 250x5, 275x5

Notes: Felt great. No problems.

I skipped calves...the machines were packed, and I was in a bit of a hurry.

muscle chic
03-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Diet is the hardest part!! You're looking good anyway though!!

thrillhouse
03-07-2007, 05:08 PM

BP: 300x5x3

Notes: OK, that's completed the first ladder. I started at 275, added 5 lbs per workout for five upper body workouts (300). Now I'll drop back down to 285 and work up to 305....And so on...and we'll see how high I can get.

BOR: 245x5x3

Notes:

Tbar: 180x5x3

Notes: Still loving this set.

Overall Notes: I ate OK today, but my 3pm snack was cookies. :bang: Needless to say, I didn't have the juice to get all the way through my workout. I'll eat well tomorrow.

thrillhouse
03-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, I've still been keeping with my routine. I've been lagging a bit in updating my journal.

thrillhouse
05-11-2007, 05:43 AM
I've been working on bringing up my incline/decline bench lately. It's been working well.

I've been totally slacking on the journal front, but I really need to post more consistently . I've missed the occasional workout...girlfriend taking up too much time.

=)

TwiloMike
05-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Holy crap! Look who resurfaced! :) Welcome back. How's the slimming down going?

thrillhouse
05-11-2007, 03:53 PM
It's been up and down. Over a two week period, I lost about 5 pounds...then the next week I got sick, couldn't lift (a finger, much less a weight) and gained about three. I think overall I'm down about a pound or so. Not so great.

On the plus side, my girlfriend thinks she needs to lose weight (she doesn't) and is going on a diet...which means less eating out & drinking for both of us. That should help things a bit.

EDIT: This morning I weighed in down around six pounds. Go me!

thrillhouse
05-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Chest & Back yesterday.

Today was Deadlifts and Shoulders.

Yesterday sucked. Bad. I'm just not fully recovered from my cold.

Today, however, was much better. Felt good & strong.

thrillhouse
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Squats & Stiff Legged DLs tonight. Felt pretty good, but my back is still tweaked, so I went easy.

thrillhouse
07-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Quick Update:

The past few months have been really odd, both in my personal life and my training life.

First, I've met someone pretty special. She's a great girl...things have been going better than I could have hoped. Unfortunately, this has led to lots of eating out and drinking.

I've also set up a home gym and been working out much of the time there. My routine has been really...odd, I've still not settled into anything that I'm very happy with. Things at work have been pretty chaotic too, so I haven't really had much time to be consistent.

As a result, I've been pretty stagnant. My weight is still around 234-236, and I go between good weeks and bad.

Then it happened. My GF and I were going away for the weekend to Amelia Island. The resort we were staying at offered horseback riding, and we wanted to go. I looked into booking it online, and discovered this notice on their website:

To protect the safety of our horses, we have a weight limit of 230 lbs.

:(

My weight has never, ever hindered me from doing a normal activity before.

:(

SO....that's it.

I'm all in. I'm going to go hardcore for a while...my diet will be clean. Meals will be nutritionally balanced, 3-400 calories, and between 5 or 6 a day. My basic meal plan:

Oatmeal/eggs in the morning, no sugar in my coffee.
Snack (almonds or beef jerky or cottage cheese)
Lunch (6 oz. chicken or fish, fill the rest of the plate with steamed veggies or salad)
Snack (same as above, or PB & Honey on WHole Wheat on training days)
Dinner (6 oz. chicken or fish, salad)
Snack (protein shake)

I'm planning on changing my training around a bit. I've found that I do enjoy this split:

Chest/back
Deads/Shoulders
Squats/SLDLs

My plan is this:

Chest/Back, incline ab work, HIIT (30 minutes elliptical)

Deads/SHoulders (30 minute run, slow)

Squats/SLDLs, abs (undetermined cardio or skip it)

Extended PT

The first three days will be at the gym, while the Extended PT will be done in my garage gym. It usually consists of a weird circuit training...push-ups, BW squats, box jumps, jump rope (including double unders), and boxing.

I'm at roughly 235...I would love to see 190 eventually. My short term goal though is to drop about 20 lbs and find my plateau weight--and by that, I mean a weight where my body maintains itself with a regular lifestyle and eating habits. I'm guessing it's about 212-217.

I'm trying really hard not to be depressed about this stuff. Wish me luck.

Oh, also...any comments on the plans above? Thanks all!

thrillhouse
07-24-2007, 06:15 AM
Flat Bench & Weighted Pull-ups Combo Set

3 sets of
Flat Bench:275x5
WPU: 25x5

Incline Bench & Pull-ups Combo Set

3 sets of
Incline Bench:225x8
PU: 8

Decline Bench & T-bar Rows Combo Set

3 sets of
Decline Bench:225x8
T-Bar: 4 Plates x 8 reps

Incline Bench Flys

Incline Bench Fly :65x8, 70x8, 75x8

Followed up with 15 minutes HIIT on the elliptical.

NOTES:

I could easily have gone for longer on the elliptical, but honestly, I hadn't showered and was worried about the safety of the guy next to me. :redface:

thrillhouse
07-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Nothing much to say. Ate OK...did 45 minutes of cardio on my stationary bike.

On the plus side, I only had one drink last night (vodka and diet coke). I felt the urge to get a second one, but resisted.