PDA

View Full Version : whats the idea behind low carb diets?

dblockspky
01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I never really understood this. For some reason when I hear my mother or other women talking about how they can't eat carbs because it's bad for them I just can't comprehend how it makes sense. To me, if you stay under the alotted calories that you've set up to lose the desired amount of weight, then you will lose the weight whether you eat no carbs or all carbs. In my head i'm thinking... You can have 6 slices of white bread all day, but if thats all you eat all day for a week than you can't tell me you aren't going to lose weight. Obviously that is not the best dieting method but thats just my rational.
Doesn't it make sense that you can eat whatever you want as long as you don't surpass the amount of calories you set for yourself?
Or is there something deeper that I don't know about the intake of carbs and fats?

Unholy
01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
If you were to eat pure carb's your body would get 0 protein. Every time you ate your insulin would spike. Carbs are neccasery for a balanced diet but some people lose fat alot faster when on a low carb diet.

RedSpikeyThing
01-08-2007, 12:05 PM
This is my understanding of the matter.

Your body doesn't need carbs to function. Believe it or not, it will get everything it needs from strictly fat and protein. Eliminating carb intake throws the body into ketosis, which causes the body to use bodyfat as a primary source of energy. Hence why the atkins diet is sucessful.

Now from a sanity/practical point of view, I don't think it is not a good idea to eliminate carbs.

Also, when some says "carbs aren't healthy" they don't know what they are talking about. It's like when people say butter isn't healthy - it is healthy, just not when you eat a stick of it every day.

dblockspky
01-08-2007, 01:46 PM
So I guess the whole idea of it is that your body uses carbs as its primary source of energy. So if you aren't taking in carbs then your body uses fat? This is pretty confusing lol. Doesn't your body use what you eat for energy? So it's not like just because you don't eat a certain thing your body is going to use the fat in your body for energy. Or does it? ahh I think i'm going to take a nutrion course in school so I can understand this stuff, or maybe it will just leave me more baffled.

Vapour Trails
01-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Red's got the basic idea, forcing the body to utilize fat for energy. Of course this will take place when you are eating carbs but are consuming less than maintenance calories also.

It gets deeper though and one of the main reasons for low carb is lowering insulin levels. I feel appetite is far easier to control when blood glucose is stable.

Unholy
01-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Vapour is right, you feel a lot more satisfied eating slowly digesting proteins and fats on a low calorie diet rather then carbs which leave you feeling hungry.

Hardgainer82
01-08-2007, 06:09 PM
I'd say the posts above are right on. Carbs are the first thing your body looks for for energy. If your supply of carbohydrates is exhausted your body will look to fat and proteins to burn.

This is the reason atkins works, without carbs you're burning fat like crazy.

Your Central Nervous System uses Carbs to operate. Some effects of a no carb diet include being tired and slower thought processing. Pretty rough I'd say, and if you come off it fast you're definitely going to store up all those carbs you begin taking in.

You are definitely right that a balanced diet with monitored caloric intake is the best way to control your weight and stay healthy.

whiteman90909
01-08-2007, 08:40 PM
It's like when people say butter isn't healthy - it is healthy, just not when you eat a stick of it every day.

So I shouldnt eat the whole thing?

malkore
01-09-2007, 03:47 PM
So I guess the whole idea of it is that your body uses carbs as its primary source of energy. So if you aren't taking in carbs then your body uses fat?

a very simplistic, but accurate description. you don't give yourself enough carbs to create the energy you actually need, so the body has to get energy from somewhere.

restricting carbs and hitting the cardio while eating a sensible number of total calories helps really burn the fat off.

then you lift heavy weights on the other days to retain the muscle you already had.

nzk
01-09-2007, 10:05 PM
i dont completely agree with the above...

the primary energy source of the entire body is glucose. neurons prefer glucose more than the rest of the body does, if need be both can use ketone bodies (fat breakdown). if the body is deprived of carbs and all of the glycogen is consumed, then the body will first turn to protein for a source of glucose for the brain and nervous system. it will use fat for the energy needs of the rest of the body. after about 48 hours, the brain will switch to using ketone bodies as well, preserving whatever glucose is left over. the brain does not function well in ketosis, thats why most people feel like trash when on a no-carb diet. but the key point i want to make here is that protein will be used first whenever glycogen stores run out.

coconut
01-10-2007, 05:54 AM
but I heard that low carb diets can make you loose more muscle when cutting..correct me If I'm wrong

for me carb cicling is working wonders eating a lot of carbs onde afther, during and before lifthing weigths, I'm loosing fat and my stregth went up a bit

coconut
01-10-2007, 05:58 AM

the primary energy source of the entire body is glucose. neurons prefer glucose more than the rest of the body does, if need be both can use ketone bodies (fat breakdown). if the body is deprived of carbs and all of the glycogen is consumed, then the body will first turn to protein for a source of glucose for the brain and nervous system. it will use fat for the energy needs of the rest of the body. after about 48 hours, the brain will switch to using ketone bodies as well, preserving whatever glucose is left over. the brain does not function well in ketosis, thats why most people feel like trash when on a no-carb diet. but the key point i want to make here is that protein will be used first whenever glycogen stores run out.

so if I eat enougth proteing I don't have to worry about looosing muscle??? but still no carbs during weigths= doom

Marnie
01-10-2007, 09:40 AM
The point of losing the carbs is that they arent essetial for muscle management, whereas protein and fats are. Therefore, carbs are good to drop to lose calories. Obviously if you are eating enoug hfatis and proteins, and are going to lose too many calories by cutting out lots of carb, eat jsut enough to be 20% under your maintenance. (can you tell I've been learning from Built?)

nzk
01-10-2007, 10:39 AM
so if I eat enougth proteing I don't have to worry about looosing muscle??? but still no carbs during weigths= doom

well in theory u would have to eat protein every few hours to keep ur body from burning up valuable muscle. but then u wont be burning much fat either...

just forget the carb craze and go with what we know works, lift hard, eat balanced but below maintenance, get enough protein. cut calories from carb and fat as needed to achieve desired results.

Vapour Trails
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM

Yes, but all you have to do to prevent this is eat a little carbs, for instance about 50g per day. We are talking about low carb, not zero carb.

Vapour Trails
01-10-2007, 12:01 PM
well in theory u would have to eat protein every few hours to keep ur body from burning up valuable muscle. but then u wont be burning much fat either...

Why wouldn't you be burning fat if you are still below maintenance and eating protein every few hours? That doesn't make sense.

Eating every few hours isn't even necessary either. Casien shakes supply aminos for hours and hours.

ironman1964bc
01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
All a low carber is doing is eliminating one fuel source and forcing the body to burn fat instead. The key is to eat alot of fat. Alot of first time low carbers will make the mistake of cutting back carbs and fat too, which will lead to disaster and passing out in front of the hershey's chocolate candy bar rack. I keep my fats about 60%, protein 35%, and carbs around 5%. I hardly ever go over 50gms of carbs/day and I don't cycle them either, although that works well for some people. A little cottage cheese and a NO drink will easily get me through 2 hour workouts all at a cost of about 20gms of carbs. I also agree with Art Devany that post workout carbs are bad too because you just busted your butt in the gym for 1-2 hours and your body is in a fat burning mode, so why drink a high carb drink and instantly shut down the fat burning process.

I used to do alot of road biking (4000-5000 miles every summer) and ate a high carb/high protein/low fat diet and would end up looking like a 12 year old girl despite continuing to pound the weights. The only way I have been able to stay lean and muscular is by eating low carb and doing sprints (no endurance). On high carb, I was either small and weak (178lbs in 1995) or strong and fat (255lbs in 1994 with a 660 squat) depending on what time of year it was and how much aerobics I was doing. On low carb, I can stay around 205lbs year round with no aerobics at all.

Just make sure your fat intake includes mct fats. My favorite is cococnut oil, and I don't take a nitrean drink without a tablespoon of coconut oil. CLA is good too. MCT's almost act like carbs in the body....they are a very fast burning fuel great for anaerobic work.

An old timer at my gym told me something about 7 years ago that has always stuck in my mind. It was the most important lesson that I have ever been taught in regards to diet and nutrition. He said "if you eat carbs, you burn carbs.....if you eat fat, you burn fat".

dblockspky
01-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks everybody. I think im getting the gist of it now

Minotaur
01-11-2007, 11:54 AM
CKD - cyclic ketogenic diet. Fat loss, muscle sparing. http://www.c-k-d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3053