PDA

View Full Version : deer meat

DHSBigD03
01-08-2007, 01:59 PM
i like to hunt at my dads house and lately we've been experimenting with some different recepies for jerkey. We found these little seasoning packages at walmart to make deer jerkey with. we tryed out the hickery smoke flavor. It turned out really well. and it takes all of an hour and a half (once the steak is thawed) to make. Although it may be a little high in the sodium, it still teasts great, is inexpencive, and is very high in protein. just an idea. lemme know if you know of any other recipies for deer meat.

DHSBigD03
01-08-2007, 02:01 PM
i just realized that this is in the wrong section of the forum ..woops

getfit
01-08-2007, 02:10 PM
i put it in the receipe forum

getfit
01-08-2007, 03:01 PM
my bf loves deer meat.He buys it all the time

kkwik1212
01-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I like to sautee ground deer meat with onions, green peppers, and garlic, then mix it with white rice. It tastes great and is low in fat.

01-08-2007, 10:51 PM
i like to make tacos and sloppy joes with my ground deer

how do you make jerkey?? i tied once and filed miserbley

RedSpikeyThing
01-09-2007, 08:59 AM
I had it once in a restaurant and really enjoyed it. Not something I can afford to eat regularly, unfortunately.

Jordanbcool
01-10-2007, 02:04 PM
making good jerky is harder then you'd think.

Just dry it out in the sun for a few days. I think the hardest part would have to be finding the right spices.

zen
01-10-2007, 02:23 PM
i like to make tacos and sloppy joes with my ground deer

haha, for some reason "ground deer" made me crack up.

ground bambi burgers!

teenathlete3030
01-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I got a couple deer this year. When butchering I set aside the backstraps for later. All the other meat gets processed into jerkey, sausage, sticks, etc. As for the backstraps, I cut them into maybe 1 inch steaks, so you get quite a few of them. Then for breakfast I'll thaw out a couple and fry them up in a couple minutes. Maybe add some seasoning or A1. Yum... And to think, it's the equivalent of filet mignon in beef. I have a basicly unlimited supply.

beochie
01-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I had it once in a restaurant and really enjoyed it. Not something I can afford to eat regularly, unfortunately.

It cost like 30cents a round :D

Clifford Gillmore
01-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Venison taste like poo poo to me.

RedSpikeyThing
01-20-2007, 11:55 AM
It cost like 30cents a round :D

not here, if I can even find it :(

beochie
01-20-2007, 05:19 PM
round=bullet:bash:

DHSBigD03
02-01-2007, 08:23 PM
8.8 i tried your idea with a twist. i made the ground deer with taco seasoning and made a salad with differen't cheses, vegitables and salsas. Worked really well. thanks

Gettin' Big
02-09-2007, 06:36 PM
If you have the time to make it, venison stroganoff is my favorite. I usually take flank steaks and cut them into cubes. Then bread them in frying magic and cook them in olive oil in a frying pan. Then just put them atop some noodles and top with gravy. Its awesome.

cassio
03-06-2007, 09:51 AM
deer jerky is the best... esp if you harvest it yourself.

rabidracin
03-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I use about a 1/4 -1/2 cup fat free italian dressing in the bottom of a cast iron skillet and let it cook. I have also used apple sauce and babeque sauce.

Angler
03-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Venison taste like poo poo to me.

Many will state it taste to gamie for them. Deer just like any other animal need proper care if youíre going to eat them. Also what they eat has an effect on the taste. Say a deer living in deep woods compared to a deer feasting on corn all night long.

They need to be cleaned and drained of blood immediately. If itís to hot to hang like when I start my bow hunting here in CT in Sept I need to find a walk in freezer or butcher the deer into roast size cuts and freeze it to break down the blood. It is one of the healthiest meats you can find.

Iíll post some jerk recipes later. My personal recipe books are at home. A good brine is the key to a good jerky. Can be done in an oven or smoker.

I arrow a bunch every year. On the ground up close and personal like.

One of my little Doeís from this season.
Please DON'T look if you don't want to see a dead deer.

http://www.cthuntnfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=1479&sid=b354e8688594ade4a1c531a646a36a2c

Jay

manowar669
03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
I bowhunt also (for about 22 years now). People claim they can tell the difference between deer and beef, but I fool people all the time. It's in their head. Deer is just really lean, and they are used to fatty beef. Lean meats (deer, beef, anything) need to be cooked really fast (grill, broiler), or really long (stews, crockpot), anything in between is dry and tough. Those seasoning packets from walmart aren't too bad, along with the dehydrators you can sometimes get for like $15.

smokinHawk
03-29-2007, 12:10 PM
never realy liked deer buger as it was to dry for my taste.
its also hard to cook because of its low fat which makes it taste dry.

Angler
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
This is why you must add fat when using it in burgers, sausages, meatloaf, and such. Veal works very nicely with Venison. As others have said it is very lean and needs to be cooked in a flash. I drop a 2Ē thick tenderloin on the Weber for about a minute on each side.

Iím a big time bow hunter/fishermen type. I have had venison that I loved cooked by others but most sucked. Not because of the kind of meat but because it was not properly handled prior to cooking or the cooking it self.

I wish I could have everyone that says they donít like venison to have a meal at my Archery club (Algonquin Archers) during any event. We have several guys who can really cook including me. About half the people that show up now come just for the food. Theyíre not even archers.

I have to go get ready for a NRA Dinner now but Iíll post some recipes and maybe links to hunting sites with venison cooking information when I get a chance.

Jay

Angler
03-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Couple links.

I like to use a brine on many meats, birds, and fish. This explains a Brine and what it is used for. Basically itís a solution made of water (or juices) and 1 cup of salt for every gal of liquid. No you donít taste the salt when itís done. This brine will remove most of the water from the meat and then reverses that action and take in up to a third more moister along with all the spices and flavors you added to your brine. Just about every store bought bird you buy has this done to it. It does not work as well if it was done once prior to you buying it from the store. It should be on the label. At least it will state water weight added. This is how they add it.
I do this with Turkeys every Thanksgiving. I make my brine with apple cider instead of water. Never open the oven. Donít baste the bird and it cooks quicker. Everyone that tries it say the same thing. Moistest bird they have ever had.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html

http://www.whitetails.com/recipes/recipes.cfm

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/springfield/recipes.html#Homemade%20Jerky%20-%20Oven

http://www.familyhaven.com/cooking/venison.html

http://www.pabucks.com/Cooking_Venison.html#Methods%20used%20to%20cook%20venison.

BCorn
03-30-2007, 01:13 PM
I actually just finished a big ol' plate of deer steaks.....mmmmmmm.....awesome! can't wait till deer season again to re-stock the freezer with some lean meat.

Smooth23
03-31-2007, 12:33 AM
I was just about to do a search and found this thread. Venison is a godsend. I pretty much use mine however I would use beef. I like the italian dressing in the pan idea too..

JIG
04-04-2007, 12:19 AM
venison bacon burgers top with feta cheese....mmmm I make 30# of venison summer sausage (with cheese and jalapeno (sp)) eat all summer (hehe) long....jerky is very taste....salt, pepper, garlic powder, cure salt...into the smoker for 2-3 of smoke (hickory) then dry heat tell done....shoulder steak in the crock pot with mushrooms, onion, carrots, bell peppers, celary and red wine.....backstrap diane....the list goes on....

SDS
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I cooked a venison butt in the smoker this weekend. It was very good.

gonzo11
04-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Anybody know the approximate nutritional values for deer sausage? Mine is a 50/50 mix of deer and pork. I want to add it to my Fitday.

The forums at huntingnet.com have a lot of good recipes for deer.

JIG
04-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Gonzo.....what I did was divide it.....I just made some venison/bacon burgers 2:1 (2# venison:1# bacon)...in fit day I put .8oz venison .1 slice bacon per patty....I make venison summer sausage with more venison than pork...90% venison.....I like it better this way.....deer sausage the same...smoke & dry heat until done......then I can eat it like snack sticks.....snack sticks are good too...

xlerate9
04-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I LOVE deer steak. I hope I get a deer this year so I can eat some again.

JIG
04-26-2007, 08:58 AM
I get a deer every year....I plan on getting 3 this year....limit is 5 for me....3 bucks & 2 doe...but that's to much meat for me....