PDA

View Full Version : The Road to <12% Body Fat

SaintStephen
01-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm currently trying to cut down to 10-12% bf. I started about 2 months ago when I decided I would not allow myself to get fatter over the holidays. So far I've lost about 25 pounds from a high of 220, which puts me at 195 as of today.

My routine:

Day 1: Back

5 sets weighted pullups (8-10 reps)
4 sets barbell rows (8 reps)
3 sets dumbbell rows (8 reps)

Day 2: Off

Day 3: Chest/Triceps

4 sets Decline Press (6-8 reps)
3 sets Incline Press (6-8 reps)
3 sets Tricep Extensions (8 reps)
3 sets Flys (8 reps)

Day 4: Legs

4 sets Squats (8 reps)
3 sets Leg Extensions (8 reps)
3 sets Leg Curls (8 reps)

Day 5: Off

Day 6: Shoulders/Biceps

4 sets Behind the Neck Press (8 reps)
3 sets Lateral Raises (8 reps)
3 sets Dumbbell Curls-Alternating Arms (8 reps)
2 sets Dumbell Concentration Curls (8 reps)

Day 7: Off

Diet: About 2000 calories a day give or take 100.
Protein:150-180g from Shakes, Chicken, Tuna, Steak, Eggs, and Dairy
Fats: Try to keep them clean, eat nuts, olive oil etc.
Carbs: mostly complex carbs, some fruit, and whole wheat bread

DCF
01-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Nice! Good luck.

SaintStephen
01-09-2007, 12:40 PM
These were taken yesterday.. so this is where I am starting from at this point:

full body:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/papahobo/IMG_2379.jpg

front:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/papahobo/IMG_2381.jpg

front double bi:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/papahobo/IMG_2380.jpg

back:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/papahobo/IMG_2383.jpg

back double bi:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/papahobo/IMG_2382.jpg

Unholy
01-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Looking good man, cant wait to see your progress. Welcome to journal land and enjoy your stay it can be very motivating.

SaintStephen
01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Today is an off day for me. I am considering adding some light cardio to my routine. I can't decide if this is really good or even necessary as I am already steadily losing weight. I don't want to do it if it is going to contribute to more muscle loss. The first 2 months I lost around 25 pounds, and I am sure there was a few pounds of water loss at the beginning. Right now I would say I average around 2 pounds of weight loss a week.

Sticking to the diet today.

Breakfast:

Protein Shake
Oatmeal

Unholy
01-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Dont worry about cardio unless you are doing it for your heart.

SaintStephen
01-12-2007, 06:16 AM
Yea, I've decided I'm not going to do any cardio for now. I'm still losing without it so no need at this time.

Workouts for the past 2 days have been good. Stuck to the plan, felt like I lifted as hard as possible. My Bench is currently at 315 for 5 reps which is down from 8 reps when I was 220. This is bothering me a little as I know I have lost some muscle but I'm not sure it can be helped if I want to get my bf% to 10%.

Other than that I am having some pain in my left forearm extending from my elbow. Not sure what that is all about, it doesn't feel like the muscle either. Seems to bother me the most when I rotate my wrist.

Meals have been good, right at 2000 calories and 180 grams of protein. Weight has remained constant the last few days, so I need to see a drop soon or I am going to start getting frustrated.

Unholy
01-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Lookin good man. Keep up the work and you'll hit that goal before you know it.

SaintStephen
01-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks man.

I'm trying to keep my head into it. Today is my cheat meal day, so I'm headed to the Outback. How I love Blooming Onions! I've been pretty good the rest of the week so I think I can go a little crazy for a meal and not set myself too far back. I feel like a need a little jolt from some carbs right now anyhow.

SaintStephen
01-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Had a really really bad cheat meal+ on Saturday night (Blooming Onion, Lots of Bread with Butter... really really good bread mmmmmm, and about 4 cups of Coke, Alice Springs Chicken, sweet potato, and cheesecake). Followed this up with a not so great lunch on Sunday (Steak Fajitas and Tortilla Chips).

As of Sunday night I was back on course. I was up about a pound on the scale this morning though. I did have a great workout yesterday, all of the extra calories really gave me more energy than I have had in about a month. I pushed out 2 extra reps on about everything I did for back day.

Today is off for lifting, it will be interesting to see if the extra energy carries over to tomorrow for chest day. My bench has been steadily declining over the last 6 weeks of weight loss.

Unholy
01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Good stuff, and the whole Idea of a cheat meal is that if you are going to cheat you might as well enjoy it right?

SaintStephen
01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Yea, i did really enjoy it, and I ate so much that I was glad to get back to my regular diet food. Up til this point I had probably been a lot stricter on my diet and had been losing 2.5+ pounds a week. From here on out I'll be happy with 1 pound a week. If my calculations are close that should put me near 12% bf or slightly under in 12 weeks or less.

SaintStephen
01-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Weight was down this morning, stepped on the scale and hit just under 192! I did legs today and felt like I had more energy thanusual , so I may keep up the carb ups on weekends as long as my energy stays up and weight is going down. I figure at this point I am still about 10 pounds of fat from my goal. I don't want to dip under 180 at my leanest, so I really need to be careful not to lose muscle either.

Another couple of weeks and I'll post some pics again.

SaintStephen
01-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Weight down again this morning 191. Starting to think my body is looking a little different in the mirror.. probably because the fat around my midsection finally seems to be coming off a little. I was very busy yesterday so I didn't eat a lot and had an abbreviated workout for shoulders+biceps. There is definitely something wrong with my left bicep, doing barbell curls right now is a no-no. I could only do dumbell curls and still felt some minor pain doing them.

I'll be gone to the coast the next couple of days and will probably eat too much, but I had a couple cheat meals planned this weekend anyway. No workout again until Sunday Night.

Unholy
01-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Grats on the weightloss, keep this up and you will be a lean mean machine in no time.