PDA

View Full Version : Weight lifting is boring.

jurzysfinest
01-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I cant stand weight lifting. It is just so boring in my opinion. I do it and push through it, but i just do not like it. I know it will help me get better at football and look better, but its bery boring. How do you guys cope with it? Do you guys think it is fun or do you just push through it? If you push through it what are some ways to make it more fun?

Unholy
01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Take up Ballet.

Shark
01-10-2007, 04:00 PM
I think most people around this board love lifting weights... i know i do.

jurzysfinest
01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I think I should rephrase. I can stand weightlifting and I do push through it, but it is boring. I do it in my basement by myself so that is probably why I dont like it.

Unholy
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Probably, find a lifting partner and join a gym >.<

Optimum08
01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
play some music or something. if its boring then your not going heavy enough. i don't have any effort to be bored cuz im lifting heavy and getting tired.

BigRic
01-10-2007, 04:07 PM
I've never lifted by myself so I can't relate, but like others have said join a gym or lift with your football teamates and get a good competitve atmosphere going. You should enjoy it more.

Beast
01-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Try some new exercises or something.

KevinStarke
01-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Just quit

getfit
01-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I think most people around this board love lifting weights... i know i do.

absolutely! find a training partner.Make your workouts enjoyable.Grunt a little more ;)

jkirkpatrick
01-10-2007, 04:28 PM
To each their own.

method115
01-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Well i listen to music personally, I used to just sit in my room and listen to music for 1-2 hours depending on how many albums i wanted to listen to. I do the exact same thing now except I lift weights at the same time.

What's real funny is now when I hear music and a song comes on that I, I just have to hit the weights its all I wanna do I start getting pumped its funny.

Anyways if music isn't good enough don't know what to tell you.

Tofer
01-10-2007, 04:40 PM
If you find it boring then there's no way you're going to keep up with it in the long run. You would probably be better off quitting now.

jurzysfinest
01-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Well I love listening to music. I listen to music quite often anyway. I might aswell lift with music. Good idea.

Stray
01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
I turn on the Indiana Jones theme song. Then, I cover the gym floors with snap pops to make each session a little action adventure movie where I'M the star and no one else.

Oh and I wear the hat.

Detard
01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
how can you lift in the quiet? put on the radio at least.

getfit
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Well I love listening to music. I listen to music quite often anyway. I might aswell lift with music. Good idea.

stick around more, we'll get you going.

Unreal
01-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Fun? I rather go squat or deadlift then sleep with a hot chick.

Unholy
01-10-2007, 05:51 PM

:windup:

OneBadUnit
01-10-2007, 05:52 PM

I'm addicted, but not THAT addicted

Built
01-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Alone? Okay, well, maybe put up a lot of mirrors and lift naked.

;)

accuFLEX
01-10-2007, 05:56 PM
You need to stop making these stupid posts and start reading. You've been a member for 7 days and already have close to 100 posts.

reloaded
01-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I personally hate the *act* of lifting weights. But I feel awesome when I get out of the gym, so it's all worth it.

jurzysfinest
01-10-2007, 06:22 PM
yah i just tried a quick workout with music. You are right it makes a huge difference. It is pretty fun

bjohnso
01-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I turn on the Indiana Jones theme song. Then, I cover the gym floors with snap pops to make each session a little action adventure movie where I'M the star and no one else.

Oh and I wear the hat.

Do you have the whip?

deeder
01-10-2007, 06:57 PM

Me too! No really... Ask Kristen! :strong:

SpecialK
01-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I like lifting in general but I have to periodically take a week off and change up my routine a bit, otherwise I start to get very bored of it and feel like I'm just going in the gym to "put in my time".

Chris686
01-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, if you don't have the motivation to lift, you probably never will. Give it up and be fat like most of America :)

JamesBOMB
01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Take 1000mg caffeine and 50mg ephedrine, you wont think its boring after that, trust me. Then again you probably wont sit still for half a day either after that

Unholy
01-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Take 1000mg caffeine and 50mg ephedrine, you wont think its boring after that, trust me. Then again you probably wont sit still for half a day either after that

Bad idea. You say it as a joke some 14 year old kid will read that and think you are being serious.

SpecialK
01-10-2007, 09:19 PM

I have a pretty high tolerance to stimulants. One day I gradually worked myself up to 600mg C and 50mg E. That made me go crazy. Unforunately it wasn't a focused energy - it was more of a crazy, can't concentrate for more than 5 seconds energy ;)

KingJustin
01-10-2007, 11:29 PM
I think that really heavy lifting, switching up exercises, and doing everything with extremely high intensity makes things less boring. Work out with a parter/partners and it should help you out.

01-10-2007, 11:40 PM

Oh and I wear the hat.

um can we get a video of this!!!!????!?!?! NOW!!!

Rock Steady
01-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Well i listen to music personally, I used to just sit in my room and listen to music for 1-2 hours depending on how many albums i wanted to listen to. I do the exact same thing now except I lift weights at the same time.

What's real funny is now when I hear music and a song comes on that I, I just have to hit the weights its all I wanna do I start getting pumped its funny.

Pavlov's dog... lol - I like it.

zen
01-11-2007, 08:41 AM
some days I am up for lifting and hit the weights with bells on. Some days I'm not so up for it and have to coax myself to go, but once I put my hands on the bar, I'm fine. :)

I recently took a week off, and I missed it.
Then, the day after my monday workout, I was like "Ahhh yes, I miss this". I don't get 'sore' anymore, but I do often feel that nice tight sensation in my muscles, and I've been working out for so many years, it just FEELS RIGHT, and I miss it when I don't have it.

O RLY?
01-11-2007, 09:11 AM
To each their own, but it sure doesn't bore me! The day before I lift I'm always really excited, thinking about outdoing my previous week's lifting. I guess it helps to have an Excel sheet or something with all your lifts on it so you can see how you progress, or at least, it helps me. Then I turn up the music and get lifting. I will admit though I'm not all that wild about leg day. Once I get started though, it's alright.

I love the soreness, and I love hiting my lifting goals. I remember how sore I was after the first day of lifting. God how I loved it. I knew I was hooked from that moment. Sometimes it makes me feel like a junkie chasing that first high. Gotta work hard, gotta make those muscles a bit sore, because I know it makes me grow! And it feels GOOD!!! :)

VDubb
01-11-2007, 10:55 AM
um can we get a video of this!!!!????!?!?! NOW!!!

I'd rather have a vid of this:

;)

:p

EvanH
01-11-2007, 11:59 AM

;)

Maybe I will try this. I don't think the other people at my gym will appreciate it though.

Jordanbcool
01-11-2007, 12:35 PM
If you dont like weightlifting you better find another sport.

There are times when I would rather weight lift then go out with a girl or even with my friends. Of course thats not all the time but the gym is really important to me. Most people don't understand it. I wouldn't even consider myself that dedicated.

Its something thats hard to describe but its mostly an overwhelming feeling of pride and accomplishment at your goals being broken left and right. Its the feeling of satisfaction when you've pushed yourself to the limit.

Anyways, I'm rambling. I would try working out at a gym. That should motivate you more.

Unholy
01-11-2007, 12:41 PM
its Simple Jordan for me Weightlifting = Crack I need my fix every day.Offdays are the worst unless the DOM's are so bad that you know you lifted the day before.

VDubb
01-11-2007, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=Jordanbcool;1579660]
There are times when I would rather weight lift then go out with a girl or even with my friends. Of course thats not all the time but the gym is really important to me. Most people don't understand it. I wouldn't even consider myself that dedicated.
QUOTE]

I'm the same way........my friends often wonder why I never want to go out until after 10pm (ironically the same time my gym closes!):dj:

Three
01-11-2007, 01:04 PM
I look forward to every lifting day. My coworkers can always tell when it's a lifting day cause I'm like a kid on the last day of school...bouncing off the walls and just plain hyper. I'm sure they get tired of me sending them IM's saying "Hey guess what today is? LIFTING DAY!" every time, but I don't care. I lift in my garage and the only music is the clanking of iron and the grunts of sheer determination.

Jordanbcool
01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=Jordanbcool;1579660]
QUOTE]

I'm the same way........my friends often wonder why I never want to go out until after 10pm (ironically the same time my gym closes!):dj:

I agree.

My gym closes at 9.

I never want to hang out until around 10.

P.S. People seem fascinated with wanting to achieve something. Most of my friends think I'm weird for wanting to weight lift so much. I only lift for 3 hours a week and they think I'm some crazy steroid using meat head. I guess thats why people are so obese and overweight.

neon
01-11-2007, 02:40 PM
i wasnt exactly getting bored with my old routine, but it wasn't as exciting as it once was. Now that I've switched to Rippetoe's routine, the day drags by because im so pumped knowing that i get to hit the gym that day.

Especially tracking what I do now and having everything written down. Thats one of the best things I ever did. Knowing exactly what you did last time you were in the gym and working to beat it.

Oh, and to me, theres nothing like being in a room with 10 other guys all doing some variation of a curl, and setting my PR for deadlift a few feet away from them....that is definately an awesome feeling.

WillKuenzel
01-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Some of the best times I've had have been in the weight room. From either high school to college to the Arnold Classic to lifting with some of the big names in powerlifting, its definitely a good time. Its bad enough that sometimes my wife gets jealous of the gym. That's why we're getting a power rack at home. ;)

WBBIRL
01-11-2007, 03:37 PM
I'd never go to the gym over sleeping with a hot chick, or even over takeing one out somewhere. But on the same hand I'd never give up lifting for any woman.

The feeling, its electrifying when you hit a new PR. Its a game, its you against the weight... one vs one and its win or lose no in between. No one can take a PR away from you, you've earned it and its something that only you yourself can let go. Knowing that I've improved myself, in any way, is one of the greatest feelings in the world. It in turn raises my self esteem, my self worth and my mood in general. After I hit a big bench PR or squat PR I'm one of the happiest guys you'd ever meet. Generally I do get into a very bad mood for an hour or so after I miss any big lift attempt.

Weight lifting isn't boring, in fact I'm always looking at the clock saying "it couldn't have been this long already". Most times I usually feel that half the time has gone bye that really has gone bye. I'll be in there for an hour some days and its like I just started.

Plain and simple, you have to want it and I WANT IT. Right now more then anything else my fitness/strength goals are #1 with a tie for second between chicks/education.

Looks like you've got your mind made up, so take up dancing or something.

Detard
01-11-2007, 03:46 PM
i already did a heavy leg session today. thinking about doing some upper body work a little later on. yeah i love lifting.

D Breyer
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Definately find someone/some people to train with. Music helps too.

BFGUITAR
01-11-2007, 04:19 PM
When I was lifting light I hated it but I knew once I started to get into the higher weights id like it more. And now that im entering the "not strong but not weak" category im really enjoying it. Its fun to set goals.

jurzysfinest
01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
well im not doing weightlifting as a sport. Im doing it to get better at football. But yah music does help me alot. and lifting witha freind is alot of fun 2.

JamesBOMB
01-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Well I can see why you think its boring. Your doing it for a sport not yourself. I do it for myself not a sport, id rather be homeless than not lift weights

bill
01-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Set some goals for your lifting. Many people start lifting for sports and then sort get the "iron bug".

phreak
01-12-2007, 02:03 AM
If you dont like weightlifting you better find another sport.
To you, and all other people who are telling him to quit: I have more respect for jurzysfinest than for you. It's dead simple to work out if you enjoy doing it. He's doing it because he has to, yet he isn't taking the easy way out. That deserves a whole lot more respect than what he's getting here.

Guido
01-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I think I should rephrase. I can stand weightlifting and I do push through it, but it is boring. I do it in my basement by myself so that is probably why I dont like it.If you lift with friends, especially when your friends are dedicated and can push you, it's way more fun. You just need to find a good lifting crew.

bill
01-12-2007, 10:10 AM
2nd Guido
Find the right crowd to lift with and its fun just like anything else.

WillKuenzel
01-12-2007, 02:13 PM
To you, and all other people who are telling him to quit: I have more respect for jurzysfinest than for you. It's dead simple to work out if you enjoy doing it. He's doing it because he has to, yet he isn't taking the easy way out. That deserves a whole lot more respect than what he's getting here.I agree to a certain extent. I don't really feel that there is any wrong reason for working out as its a good thing all the way around but I do feel that if you find some way to enjoy it you'll reap better and quicker rewards. If I give somebody the best routine in the world but they hate it and only put 80% into it then they won't get near the results than if they had even a crappy routine that you love. Find some way to enjoy it more. Something... anything. If you put 100% into the worst routine you'll see results. I hate to see people working out with terrible routines but if its what you love to do and keeps you working out, for whatever reasons you have to workout, then by all means, keep doing it.

If you lift with friends, especially when your friends are dedicated and can push you, it's way more fun. You just need to find a good lifting crew.I'll second this. This definitely helps to make things much much better and easier. I've been lifting by myself for years but some of the best workouts I've ever had have always been with somebody else there. They're more fun, which again, makes things much easier.

Paul Stagg
01-14-2007, 03:00 PM
I cant stand weight lifting. It is just so boring in my opinion. I do it and push through it, but i just do not like it. I know it will help me get better at football and look better, but its bery boring. How do you guys cope with it? Do you guys think it is fun or do you just push through it? If you push through it what are some ways to make it more fun?

In another post, you say you haven't started yet.

Please stop posting things like this, and spend some time reading.