PDA

View Full Version : favorite fiber supplement?

PoutineEh
01-10-2007, 07:18 PM
just wondering what people use as a fiber supplement. i know i should ideally get my fiber from veggies and bran etc., which i do, but no way am i going to get the RDA amount from that. anyway, i have tried fiber sure and benefiber and i can say benefiber is a ton better. i mix alittle with every protein shake throughout the day (except PWO). this might stop a little bit of protein from being absorbed, but i dont see myself drinking straight benefiber.
so are there any other fiber supplements people enjoy?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-10-2007, 07:21 PM
You're better off just eating more oats or various other high fiber foods. For example, I'd have to take like 60 Metamucil capsules to meet daily requirements. That's ridiculous. I've also noticed that fiber supplements mess up my digestive tract. Foods high in fiber don't.

PoutineEh
01-10-2007, 09:39 PM
i dont use the capsules, i use the powdered ones. i have great deuces with it

Beast
01-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Benefiber. It's not thick at all.

Questor
01-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Eat Bran and avocados.

getfit
01-11-2007, 08:23 AM
broccoli,green beans

zen
01-11-2007, 08:29 AM
most mornings I mix coarse-milled psyllium with orange juice (OJ totally drowns the fiber), but I take it every day because I feel unhealthy if I don't have things moving through atleast once per day, and from everything I have read, this is true. If you don't take your fiber within a few hours of any important suppliments, it should not affect their uptake. However, I don't take a lot of suppliments... just some a multivitamin, some fish oils, milk thistle, and the ocasional vitC. I am a strong believer that the body can process the vast majority of the proteins it needs, and I have even gone vegetarian while lifting without detriment to my strenght, so I don't do shakes.

FireRescue
01-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Generally I am not a fan of processed foods but what are the thoughts about Fiber 1 cereal? It seems like a quick, convienient way to really up your fiber intake.

1/2 Cup:
60 calories
25g carbs (14 fiber, 1 soluable fiber, 0 sugar, 11 other)
2g protein
1g fat

The other thing I do not like is that it is sweetened with aspartame.

deeder
01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
most mornings I mix coarse-milled psyllium with orange juice (OJ totally drowns the fiber), but I take it every day because I feel unhealthy if I don't have things moving through atleast once per day, and from everything I have read, this is true. If you don't take your fiber within a few hours of any important suppliments, it should not affect their uptake. However, I don't take a lot of suppliments... just some a multivitamin, some fish oils, milk thistle, and the ocasional vitC. I am a strong believer that the body can process the vast majority of the proteins it needs, and I have even gone vegetarian while lifting without detriment to my strenght, so I don't do shakes.

Ever hear of essential amino acids?

deeder
01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Oats do the trick for me!

zen
01-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Ever hear of essential amino acids?

Yes I have. Those are the ones that the body does not synthesize.
I am just saying, to my own suprise (and trust me, I was very nervous about it), I went vegetarian for about 6 weeks with no protein suppliments (I thought about getting soy or whey protein) with absolutely no problems. However, realize that I was allowing myself eggs, and eggs are a great protein source.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-11-2007, 10:00 AM
and eggs are a great protein source.No, they are the best protein source. :thumbup:

ADT
01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
My suggestion would be Fiber One cereal. If you are going to eat any cereal, this would be the cereal to eat. There is zero sugar involved. I must warn you - you probably need to start off slow because the fiber "works" if you know what I mean. (Your bowel movements, habits, frequency, etc. may change - for the better.) No more than one cup of Fiber One for the beginner. You have been warned...
:fart:

Some mention All Bran cereal as an alternative, however, this is sweeted by using High Fructose Corn Syrup, which may or may not be even more detrimental than the aforementioned Aspartame noted in the Fiber One cereal.

Get your fiber from whole food sources if possible. Oatmeal would be my first choice, followed by vegetables, nuts (peanuts),then Fiber One cereal. Good luck, and it must be mentioned that large amounts of fiber in your diet can lead some to feel "full" and no longer hungry which may or may not help considering your food intake goals.

Best,
Andrew

ericg
01-11-2007, 12:23 PM
just wondering what people use as a fiber supplement. i know i should ideally get my fiber from veggies and bran etc., which i do, but no way am i going to get the RDA amount from that. anyway, i have tried fiber sure and benefiber and i can say benefiber is a ton better. i mix alittle with every protein shake throughout the day (except PWO). this might stop a little bit of protein from being absorbed, but i dont see myself drinking straight benefiber.
so are there any other fiber supplements people enjoy?

You are not eating enough veggies then.

galileo
01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
- Fiber One is great
- Psyllium Husk powder does the trick

djreef
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Fiber One tastes like wet cardboard. 1 tbspoon of psyllium w/ water, though slightly less unpleasant, helps me considerably with my business.

DJ

galileo
01-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Fiber One tastes awesome, particularly with a minor amount of fruit.

djreef
01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Does not!!!!!!!!!!

DJ

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah. Fiber One is pretty nasty. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

galileo
01-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I even gave it to my girlfriend who eats cake like it's a profession and she liked it. Maybe it's different here in the mountains.

Questor
01-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Or whatever bloats your floater.

Beast
01-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Fiber One tastes awesome, particularly with a minor amount of fruit.
Yeah, that's my main source of carbs. It has the best macronutrients out of other bran cereals. I just put a packet of Splenda on top... definitely not for everyone, though.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Oh wait...I was thinking of BeneFiber or something. If Fiber One is a cereal, then no...I've never tried it. I'll have to check it out.

galileo
01-11-2007, 06:34 PM
BeneFiber and All Bran suck.

Beast
01-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Benefiber the fiber supplement is ****ing awesome. Dissolves almost completely in water - you can throw it in your protein shake and it won't make it taste any different. Psyllium turns water into mucus.

galileo
01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I like mucous. :cool:

drwost
01-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Napolina

wannabeabigboy
01-13-2007, 02:07 AM
no one uses metamucil?

PoutineEh
01-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Benefiber the fiber supplement is ****ing awesome. Dissolves almost completely in water - you can throw it in your protein shake and it won't make it taste any different. Psyllium turns water into mucus.

same here. i also had fiber one cereal for a few weeks while i was back home and my deuces didnt compare to the ones i get with benefiber. just so much easier and also larger and more frequent. sorry to get into poop details, but its a good way to get fiber while i cut without having to eat oats or massive amounts of vegetables to get the same fiber amount.

greekboy80
01-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Try,

Fiber One Honey Clusters

or

All Bran Yogurt Bites

I have one or the other every morning followed be a protein shake. There actually pretty good. Not like the regular Fiber One(NASTY) and All Bran(NASTY).

Its a good breakfast, lots of fiber, good carbs, and good protein.

malkore
01-17-2007, 11:05 AM
veggies
but I do put a teaspoon of Fiber Sure in my nitrean shake (not the PWO meal shake though)

its inulin, not psyllum husk, so its tasteless and non-thickening. you can bake with it too.

Mad Martigan
01-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Generally I am not a fan of processed foods but what are the thoughts about Fiber 1 cereal? It seems like a quick, convienient way to really up your fiber intake.

1/2 Cup:
60 calories
25g carbs (14 fiber, 1 soluable fiber, 0 sugar, 11 other)
2g protein
1g fat

The other thing I do not like is that it is sweetened with aspartame.

I just bought a box.

Mad Martigan
01-17-2007, 01:44 PM
You're better off just eating more oats or various other high fiber foods. For example, I'd have to take like 60 Metamucil capsules to meet daily requirements. That's ridiculous. I've also noticed that fiber supplements mess up my digestive tract. Foods high in fiber don't.

My problem is that I've also noticed that foods high in fiber usually taste crummy. I like raisin bran, but it gets old and only has 8 or so grams of fiber.

malkore
01-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Fiber One is good stuff.
i toss it into my cottage cheese sometimes.

Mad Martigan
01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
My suggestion would be Fiber One cereal. If you are going to eat any cereal, this would be the cereal to eat. There is zero sugar involved. I must warn you - you probably need to start off slow because the fiber "works" if you know what I mean. (Your bowel movements, habits, frequency, etc. may change - for the better.) No more than one cup of Fiber One for the beginner. You have been warned...

I just ate a bowl. How long do I have? :help:

Mad Martigan
01-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Omg Nevermind

Majestic
01-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Try,

Fiber One Honey Clusters

This is funny.....I just stumbled on to this cereal about a month ago. It is INCREDIBLY tasty, considering how much fiber it has. It's ridiculous!

Holto
01-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Even when I'm eating a ton of fiber from my food I use two teaspoons of psyllium before bed. That and one capsule of Acidophilus seems to be the winning combo.

I also subscribe to the theory that we should eliminate 2-3x/day.

greekboy80
01-19-2007, 08:18 AM
This is funny.....I just stumbled on to this cereal about a month ago. It is INCREDIBLY tasty, considering how much fiber it has. It's ridiculous!

Dude, you should also try All Bran Yogurt bites. Its just like it. I go back and forth with them...

It's MUCH, MUCH better than eating the regular. With just aboutthe same amount of fiber! :nod:

greekboy80
01-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Even when I'm eating a ton of fiber from my food I use two teaspoons of psyllium before bed. That and one capsule of Acidophilus seems to be the winning combo.

Man! I only eliminate once a day. Its pretty big, but only once.

If its not too personal, how big are your "eliminations"? I just cant seem to be able to do it that much...

Why is that?

Mad Martigan
01-19-2007, 08:34 AM

All I have to do is eat 6 or 7 smaller meals instead of 3 and I'm crapping all day.

arcgremlin
02-25-2007, 01:54 PM
you eliminate every day??

joke??

Unholy
02-25-2007, 01:58 PM
100% Rolled Oats

the doc
02-25-2007, 02:22 PM
flax meal is great

sherrylouz
11-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Our body needs a 30 to 40 grams of fiber a day for optimum health. High fiber foods can clean our digestive system. some types of fiber bind with fats and toxins helping to cleanse your entire body.

natediesel
01-03-2010, 07:41 PM
almost started a new thread but anyways...

metamucil daily has got to be ok right? like not hurting me long term? i look and the main ingredients are just the Psyllium Husk and Gelatin... natural
opinions on this? i never get enough veggies but like the taste of this (it's like tang lol) so...

Bosch232
01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I just discovered Metamucil about 3 weeks ago, and it's like being a born again Christian.

However, there are things to be aware of with it: http://ezinearticles.com/?Psyllium-Husk-Side-Effects---What-Are-You-Missing?&id=2105875

Mercuryblade
01-04-2010, 11:39 AM
100% Rolled Oats

Oatmeal in the morning and lots of veggies and fruit throughout the day seem to get the job done.