PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for FitDay, but need help please.

Hardwareman
01-10-2007, 08:11 PM
I just found this site and entered some information into it and was amazed at how much fat I'm eating!
So far my total count:
Total 1729 calories (have'nt had my last protein shake yet though)
Fat 71g
Carbs 155g
Protein 135g

What's really amazing is this showed me that I need to change my diet hardcore. Will it help me to switch to low/nonfat milk instead of whole milk for my protein shakes? I guess no more Mayo either. Which is the worst fat, saturated?
I had a roast beef sandwich today with the thin sliced deli meat (guess it's more chicken breasts for me now), but you know I really need to clean up my diet. I love this site! Guess I'll go workout now. I'll check back later.

Thanks for any advice.

Allen

Fredd
01-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Im not sure changing milk will make a difference.
what are your goals, how much BF, weight, height , would help.

Unholy
01-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Are you cutting? You still need fats in your diet but rather then mayo etc you need healthy fats =P

Mr. D
01-10-2007, 09:50 PM
71g of fat is not that high. Check out Built and her profile. She is a gal and eats that regularly daily. Fats and protein are essential macros, carbs are not, but are nice for comfort.

Hardwareman
01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Actually Holy, I was looking at your "what I eat" link and that's how I got to that website.

Half of my fat calories are saturated fat calories. Is'nt that bad? I'm at 39%fat/33%carbs/28%protein. This is for today only though and it's my first time EVER actually trying to keep track of what I eat. I KNOW diet has a lot to do with training and what is trying to be accomplished.

Any advice in the right direction is appreciated. I think I have too much saturated fat in my diet right now, and could use more protein. I'm 5'11" and weigh 195lbs right now. I think my frame would carry 180 with about 15% bodyfat nicely. That's what I'm trying to acheive by mid June.

I just have'nt worked out with weights for quite some time until I started the WBB1 routine this Monday. I just did my arms/shoulders and will do legs on Friday. When I said switch milk what I meant was eating high protein lower fat content foods. Thanks.

Allen

Hardwareman
01-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I actually only drink milk primarily with my protein shakes. Forgot to mention that.
I actually need to lose some fat. I have some excess chest/stomach fat. I would guess I'm about 10-15lbs overweight and out of shape. I figured if I started hitting the iron again it would fall into place. I just don't understand dieting all that well.

Allen

Mr. D
01-11-2007, 03:22 AM
Saturated Fat should make up roughly 1/3 of your total fat intake. So switching to lowfat or skim milk would make sense and adding mono sources like olive oil or poly sources like fish oil.

Dont look at percentages, look at numbers. Lets assume 25% bf:

Your lbm is 146. This means you should be getting AT LEAST 146g of protein a day and 73g of fat a day. Take your maintence calories (the amount of calories you can eat and not gain/lose weight) and drop that by 20%. Once you have your protein and fat minimums in, fill the rest with carbs.

Btw 1729 cals seems too low for a guy your size, you risk losing too much muscle at that level.

Assuming a maintence level of 2827 (14.5x195), a good cutting level might be around 2262 cals. Those are just guesstimate numbers,but you need to find out what your maintence cals are first. The 2827 just might be a good starting point. Eat that for 2 weeks, and if no weight gain or loss (make sure you are exercising of course), then drop down by 20%.

Check out Builts signature. You can get help with a routine and see a sample meal plan in there.

Built
01-11-2007, 03:58 AM
Hey there

Diet link is in my sig.

Also, read Mmmmm Fat! (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284) - I include an example of why a ratio approach to macronutrients isn't very sound.

Unholy
01-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Heya mate. Yea basically if you clean up your diet just a tad you can get more protein and healthy fats in. Try to shoot for 1800-2000 cals if you want to do a slow cut for summer. Try to get 190g protein a day. If you seem to be losing weight to quickly bump your cals a few hundred till it levels off. If you are not losing weight then drop your cals a few hundred and track progress for a while before making any adjustments. Hope this helps.

Hardwareman
01-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Oh yeah, you guys are a big help to me. Ok thanks for the information bro, it's very informative.

I will check out Builts signature for a sample diet, but I think I'm ok as far as my program for now because I should make gains no matter what since I have'nt hit iron in such a long time. Thank you very much.

Allen