PDA

View Full Version : UD2 slight emergency question

Don Birnam
01-11-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm in Japan of all places right now... here for a couple months, and I can't find dextrose/glucose anywhere. They don't sell the stuff as far as I can tell! No corn sugar, no maltodextrin, no malt extract... I found some Gatorade powder but it's a label that I don't think they have in America ("Gatorade Xtra") and it's produced by a local company called Suntory. When I got someone to read the ingredients to me they said sugar, then glucose, then sodium were the first 3 ingredients listed. So I assume sugar means sucrose. Lyle recommends glucose/glucose polymers after the Thursday workout, so it looks like this is primarily sucrose and lesser glucose. How bad is it for me to use this stuff after the Thursday workout?? I don't have time to ship anything from the States until at least next week's workout so should I go with the Japanese Gatorade or is there something else I can use?? Thanks.

Don Birnam
01-11-2007, 04:27 AM
I see that grape juice has about a 1:1 ratio of fructose to glucose. I guess I will use a combo of grape juice and the gatorade stuff for now and make do...

ericg
01-11-2007, 05:29 AM
Did you try posting this on his message board?

Isaac Wilkins
01-11-2007, 07:59 AM
You can try to find a brewing store to look for corn sugar, it's dextrose. They may or may not have them there, depending on how big your city is.

I'm sure there's a rice sugar floating around. I would bet that it's low in fructose, although don't hold me to that.

He's trying to avoid fructose, that's why you don't want the sucrose. Sucrose is a glucose molecule and fructose molecule bonded. The grape juice would be the same thing, if it's about 1:1.

If you have no other choice, then go with that. Otherwise I'd look for lots of white rice, personally.

Don Birnam
01-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks, well I probably duffed the shake this week, I'll try to do better next time by ordering dextrose online or getting some rice sugar. Japanese food labels don't generally break down ingredients super-well so there's guesswork as to how much glucose, fructose sucrose etc. there is... Oh well it'll work out I'm sure.

Vapour Trails
01-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Consider just eating complex carbs if the right kind of sugar isn't available. Slower digestion but at least the type of sugar is correct.

Y0yo
01-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks, well I probably duffed the shake this week, I'll try to do better next time by ordering dextrose online or getting some rice sugar. Japanese food labels don't generally break down ingredients super-well so there's guesswork as to how much glucose, fructose sucrose etc. there is... Oh well it'll work out I'm sure.

You can get dextrose at some of the bigger pharmacy stores in Japan. MATSUMOTO is one of them, but they sell it in small broken cube like shapes. To the people working in the store, it's ALL sugar, they don't know the difference. If you ask a trainer at the gym, or someone who looks like they know what they are doing, they can tell you where to get it. It's around, just not as easy to find as it's not popular to use here...