PDA

View Full Version : head spinning with too much information!!!!!

Slushy
01-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I know! I know!:whiner: for me...:newbie:

I'm working on changing my diet. I've given up soda and fast food. I'm improving my diet and starting the WBB workout.

My confusion is about diet and supplements. I've read so many threads about this that my head is spinning. I read about fish oil, protein supplements, nitor or other products for burning fat. Confusion reigns right now for me.

I'm trying to lose 15-20lbs and become more fit. Should I look at using fish oils, supplements and fat burning stuff or just focus on a regular diet and working out?

Questor
01-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Where's Anthony's sig when we need it?

Eat lean meats, nuts, seeds, some fruit (not fruit juice), moderate fats (restricted saturated fat, no trans fat), whole grains, no sugar, and fish. Fish oil is good for you. A multivitamin is fine. Creatine helps. Protein powder if you need it. I don't trust the other suppliments.

ddegroff
01-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Fix your diet then add suppliements.

Your making the first strides.

Focus on eating healthy and working out.

Slushy
01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
thanks...what are some examples of moderate fats?

RedSpikeyThing
01-11-2007, 01:33 PM
thanks...what are some examples of moderate fats?

"Moderate" refers to the amount you intake, not a particular type of fat. The minimum amount of fat you should be eating is 0.5 g / lb LBM. I'm not sure where "moderate" falls from there, but don't worry about it for now. Focus on getting your minimum amounts of fat (0.5 g / lb LBN) and protein (1 g / lb LBM). Also make sure to get your total caloric intake under control. Once you've got this figured out, do some research about supplements and figure out you want to use from there.

Questor
01-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I tend to go for 25% of my total caloric intake as fats. I split those grams 33/66 between sats and unsats. That's just me. Others might go 20-30%.

RedSpikeyThing
01-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I tend to go for 25% of my total caloric intake as fats. I split those grams 33/66 between sats and unsats. That's just me. Others might go 20-30%.

Read built's article called "mmmmmmm fat". It explains why ratio approaches aren't necessary and why the "g / lb" (for lack of better term) is better.

Questor
01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
I think I tried her method once, but I ended up with fewer fats than my 25% rule, and that made me sad. :( lol. I'll reread it.

Built
01-11-2007, 08:19 PM
How would you end up with too little fat? Nothing says you can't increase it - just make sure you hit your minimum per pound LBM. Anchoring it as a % of total calories only makes sense if you do nothing but maintain.