PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shake late at night

SaintStephen
01-12-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm currently on a cut and trying to do the normal things i.e. lose fat and retain muscle. Assuming it doesn't increase my caloric intake for the day, does a protein shake an hour or two before I go to bed help or hinder my progress?

getfit
01-12-2007, 06:14 AM
i don't see the problem.Try some cottage cheese as well.Do you mix your shake with water?

SaintStephen
01-12-2007, 06:26 AM
I have done it with water lately, I used to use milk, but figured water was probably better due to less sugar.

Unreal
01-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Total calories matter. A shake before bed or if you wake up during the night is a good idea to keep your body from burning LBM.

Unholy
01-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Ide have a slower digesting protein then whey. Cheese is good.

Mr. D
01-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Id prefer to eat cottage cheese. More satisfying.

Davidelmo
01-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Slower digesting protein before bedtime is a fantastic idea. ALso, perhaps eating a small portion of fat would help too. I know cottage cheese is a good one, but I think it's disgusting. Currently I have a whey+casein shake in milk with a handful of almonds.

I also have4g of BCAA capsules sitting next to my water glass, so if I wake up at 4am, I take them and go back to sleep! :D

SaintStephen
01-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Right now I'm not really concerned about taste, so I can down some cottage cheese instead of a shake if it makes a difference.

Unholy
01-12-2007, 11:13 AM
CC is a better idea =)

FireRescue
01-13-2007, 08:05 AM
I have a question that sprt of relates to this topic. I hope it is appropriate to post it in this thread vs. starting a new topic.

On a cut, how late would you want to eat the CC before going to bed. I thought you did not want to eat immediately before bed so would it be best to eat 1/2 hour before going to bed? 1 hour?

Thanks.

Superman250
01-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Total calories matter. A shake before bed or if you wake up during the night is a good idea to keep your body from burning LBM.

Probably a newbie question.....but what is LBM short for?

Unholy
01-13-2007, 10:32 AM
I have a question that sprt of relates to this topic. I hope it is appropriate to post it in this thread vs. starting a new topic.

On a cut, how late would you want to eat the CC before going to bed. I thought you did not want to eat immediately before bed so would it be best to eat 1/2 hour before going to bed? 1 hour?

Thanks.

As long as your within your caloric intake you can eat right before sleep, it keeps you from going catabolic in the middle of the night.

Unholy
01-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Probably a newbie question.....but what is LBM short for?

LBM = lean body mass

FireRescue
01-13-2007, 12:19 PM
As long as your within your caloric intake you can eat right before sleep, it keeps you from going catabolic in the middle of the night.

Thanks.

FireRescue
01-15-2007, 01:37 PM

I was reading some info the other day that suggest not eating, especially carbs, to close to sleeping because the insulin response from the food will inhinit the natural GH production we have while we sleep.