PDA

View Full Version : Protein sources 'carbs'?

j-dearden
01-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Hey

this has been causing me some grief for a while now, well wouldnt call it grief exactly. any how, when i am putting me daily count into fitday, carbs protein fat, i was wondering, does the total amount of protein from carbs count towards your total daily intake of protein?, i know this may seem like a stupid question, but im kinda lost. does the protein that comes from carbs get absorbed the same as protein from lean meat, u see lets say for example, 1 bagel according to the packet has 9grams of protein, and if you think about it thats quite alot considering.

could any one shine some light on this one for us...

cheers ;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Protein doesn't come from carbs. Protein is protein. A carb is a carb. If you mean carb sources like bagels, bread, veggies, fruit, etc... Then that depends. Meat contains all the essential amino acids you need while things like rice or beans contain only partial essential amino acid profiles. It's best to eat meals that are combined to have all the essential amimos, but your body will utilize what you need.

Still not sure what you're asking. Hope I didn't confuse you even more.

j-dearden
01-13-2007, 02:51 AM
I understand what your saying, this is quite difficult to explain.

id do get my protein from meat and the odd whey, what i mean is. say i try and eat 200g of protein a day, thats 200g from sources like meat and whey, but then if u add the bits on from carbs and fiberous foods like veggies throughout the day your more likely to be around the 220 + range, so the total calories from protein is going to be higer than needed hnce, your going to be over on our calories from protein.

hope this clears it up a little.

Slim Schaedle
01-13-2007, 08:14 AM
I understand what your saying, this is quite difficult to explain.

id do get my protein from meat and the odd whey, what i mean is. say i try and eat 200g of protein a day, thats 200g from sources like meat and whey, but then if u add the bits on from carbs and fiberous foods like veggies throughout the day your more likely to be around the 220 + range, so the total calories from protein is going to be higer than needed hnce, your going to be over on our calories from protein.

hope this clears it up a little.

Count all the protein.

Although you ingest a protein having a particular amino acid sequence, that will not be the sequence one the AA's are digested, abosrorbed and synthesized to new proteins. Even if a food does not contain all 20 AA's, it is still still going to contribute to the AA pool and AA's throughout the body.

j-dearden
01-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Cheers for the reply m8 cleared things up a little.

n1

TTT
01-13-2007, 03:53 PM
I think what he's asking is, does the energy from the protein in whole foods (bagels, beans, veggies, etc.) count towards your caloric total as listed on fitday.... is that right?

If so, then I'm assuming it does. In terms of energy, it doesn't discriminate between macronutrients.

j-dearden
01-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Sort of, im speaking more in terms of biological values. where sources such as Whey and egg protein have a biological value of 100+. The higher the number the more the protein is utalized by the body for building muscle.

This is where i am getting confused when it comes to counting it in fitday, because protein from carb sources has a low biological value, around 40, so this would mean that a great percentage of this protein wouldnt get used for the purpose of building muscle, well as much as protein from meat would.

So say my total intake is 200g, including the protein from the carbs, a percentage of those proteins wont be getting used as much as the ones with highr biological values, sucjh as egg and meat.

so my actual intake would be arounf 150g for the day (roughly).

i know i may be well of course here, if so let us know. Any way for now i guess il just go with what fit day says, and trust it.

cheers

hope i havnt confused u all ;)

TTT
01-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Ok, well in that case, re-read Slim's post. :)
As long as you're eating all kinds of stuff within a few hours of each type of food, it doesn't matter whether some of them aren't great on the 'biological availability' scale.