PDA

View Full Version : the worlds STRONGEST man

levronefan
01-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Of our time ??? who would you give it to?

i pick zydrunas savickas as the STRONGEST man currently......

i think the metrx events have way too many agility tests....

SaVvY
01-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Zydrunas Savickas no doubt about it 100% all the way - his performance at the arnold was absolutely amazing! basically runs with a 1115lb weight on his back, strict presses a 200lb bell like its not even there, an the 995lb world record pull was just plain sick

Prodigy06
01-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Savickas is a beast. Maruisz is a beast. And Andy Bolton just deadlifted over 1k... damn, it's a hard choice. Who has the highest total? That'd be the guy.

bill
01-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Kaz, was a monster in his day.
Siders was impressive in some events.
All the guys Prodigy
Phister, lots of good ones.

vdizenzo
01-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Savickas! I would love to see him go back to the WSM and take the whole thing. I don't think the IFSA athletes are allowed to in the WSM anymore.

Prodigy06
01-13-2007, 10:52 AM
This sounds stupid but is WSM drug tested? That Phister guy claims to be "drug free! :)".... ;/

Stumprrp
01-13-2007, 10:54 AM
no its not drug tested but im sure some really are drug free.

betastas
01-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Alive or Dead?

Paul Anderson perhaps?

levronefan
01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
of our time..

Prodigy06
01-13-2007, 11:22 AM

I knew it. No way a drug free guy beats Mariusz.

Natetaco
01-13-2007, 12:03 PM
mariusz for the win. absolute insane strength.

bill
01-13-2007, 12:06 PM
I think it is drug tested, whatever that means.

levronefan
01-13-2007, 12:11 PM
mariusz for the win. absolute insane strength.

savickas crushes him in brute strength events all time time.... log press, apollos axon press, squat, the inch press....

Stumprrp
01-13-2007, 01:12 PM
glenn ross is one of the strongest, his strict pressing power is almost as strong as Savickas and his dead strength is almost the same too. savickas is much more in shape.

SaVvY
01-13-2007, 03:30 PM
yeh glenn ross is very VERY strong, too many people look at him an think hes just a fat ass but if you look again, the dudes also got a ***** load of muscle under the fat, the mans a straight up bear - hes raw benched 295kg for a double, raw deadlift 410kg an raw squat somewhere around 400kg also, maybe more i dont know

a cousin of his trains at my old gym an hes freaky strong also, seen him damn near raw bench 600lbs an seated strict pressed 400 above head

Prodigy06
01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
savickas crushes him in brute strength events all time time.... log press, apollos axon press, squat, the inch press....

So true. Maruisz is cool, but Savikas is plain just stronger. He's has 8 world records, his total is 2398, he's def the strongest strongman ever.

vdizenzo
01-14-2007, 07:12 AM
WSM are not tested for AAS. I believe Phister in that he is drug free.

bill
01-14-2007, 07:28 AM
V He's one I would believe too. I did notice he looked thicker this year though. Would think he finally gave in or just put on more muscle?

waynedang
01-14-2007, 08:46 AM
V He's one I would believe too. I did notice he looked thicker this year though. Would think he finally gave in or just put on more muscle?

He was training with Siders some so maybe that helped.

Bob
01-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I think it depends on if you believe strength should come with some athletism? I also think that the events that we see on TV are too quickly contested! We understand that they have to be that way for the local audience - they don't want to sit around for days of nothing. But a strongman needs rest.

So what I would like to see to figure out the strongest of the strong.. is to have a 3 month contest - where you bring the top 50 guys from around the world together - the first 2 months, they get to train on all the equipment that will be used for the contest - conans wheel, fingal fingers, odd shaped stones, cars to flip or deadlift or carry, a train or truck to pull, logs to press, etc.. with a couple of trainers and the best support available around to keep them healthy & strong.

Then it would be a month of competitions:
>>2 days, 6 events - cut the 50 down to 35
>>rest 5 days
>>2 days, 6 events - cut the 35 down to 20
>>rest 5 days
>>2 days, 6 events - cut the 20 down to 10
>>rest 5 days
>>Championships: 4 days, 10 events

Where each of the 6 events would include: 2 max effort events, 2 athletic events, 1 grip event, 1 event would either be a PL or OL lift - only one event per round would be a surprise

And scoring would be:
>>Reverse position scoring - 1st place would be worth 50 pts in the round of 50, last place would be worth 1 point.
>>However, there would also be negative scoring - where you get negative points for not coming within a certain % of the winners number: Say -1 pt for less then 90%, -3 pts for less then 80% and -5 for less then 75%. This would eliminate taking events off, or being "weak" in a certain area.
>>>> so if Savikas pressed a 200kg log, then Mariuz would have to press a 180kg log to not get negative points
>>>> so if Mariuz did a carry and drag relay in 40 seconds - Savikas would have to complete it in 44 seconds to not get negative points.

I've probably thought too much about this... but the weaknesses I see in the strongman events are this:
>> these poor guys have to work regular jobs - having dedicated training before the events would help a lot - like the Olympic Training Centers around the world.
>> access to the strongman equipment - who the heck has Fingal Fingers in their backyard??
>> access to trainers and proper healthcare - I know some of those guys from poorer countries could do a lot better...
>> proper diet - all the healthy food and supplements they wanted to eat!!

And then some of the other benefits:
>>Film EVERY minute of the training and events... there would be a market for those DVDs...
>>heck, it might even be a good reality show!!

vdizenzo
01-14-2007, 10:10 AM
He was training with Siders some so maybe that helped.

I was just about to say this. Hopefully Phil can help Siders in strongman. Brian is one of the strongest humans alive today.

bill
01-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Bearwolf Going back to what you mentioned about the athletic part. O.D.
Wilson lost the strongman a barrel lift for time and distance. He was the leader until that event. Some think he was clearly the pure strongest man.

Good point about Phil and Siders training together.

Guido
01-15-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd say the strongest at one time was Kazmeier. He was perhaps the strongest of all time.

Right now I'd say, for pure strength, Siders or Bolton. For power, strength, athleticism, I'd have to go with Zavickas.

bill
01-16-2007, 08:47 AM
The guy "Benny" is super strong on deadlifts. I'm not sure what he can do on other things.
Is he the same kastanova (sp) ??

SaVvY
01-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Mikhail Koklyaev has to be up there also - 3rd place at the arnold, he is very strong all around, could very well end up stronger than big Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jovqRDaDs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLiGywiHSs&mode=related&search=

emjlr3
01-17-2007, 06:10 AM
again I ask, y did Mariusz get kicked out a few years back for roids?

vdizenzo
01-17-2007, 08:34 AM
again I ask, y did Mariusz get kicked out a few years back for roids?

I had heard it was not for roids, but for either something recreational or some type of amphetamine.

PhilDownUnder
01-28-2007, 09:59 PM

WSM are not tested for AAS. I believe Phister in that he is drug free.

gonna have to disagree guys, in the 2004 WSM Mariusz 'unofficially' finished 3rd - but was then later disqualified for steroids - bumping Magnus up to 3rd place.

Joshua Davis
01-29-2007, 11:25 AM
No one really knows why Mariusz got popped. Some people say steroids, but other guys got tested too... which is why the assumption that Mariusz had some GHB or something similar in his system... as well as a few guys that have known him say he really enjoys the night life. It's still all assumption, becasue the official IFSA statement only mentions "banned substances".

SaVvY
01-29-2007, 02:14 PM
No one really knows why Mariusz got popped. Some people say steroids, but other guys got tested too... which is why the assumption that Mariusz had some GHB or something similar in his system... as well as a few guys that have known him say he really enjoys the night life. It's still all assumption, becasue the official IFSA statement only mentions "banned substances".
steroids are not tested for, as far as i know they never have been? i also read that the reason puds was dq was because he was on speed

Joshua Davis
01-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Steroids were tested for in IFSA prior to the split, and still are...

From IFSA Doping Policy, 2004 Edition (http://www.fitlike.net/strongman/controlprogram2004.doc):

2.2 Which drugs are banned?

The banned list of drugs shall be largely the same as the WADA or IOC list; information on this can be obtained from:

http://www.wada-ama.org/

Although the WADA banned list is comprehensive, the IFSA regulations do differ in a number of ways. Firstly, an athlete may take any medication prescribed by a Doctor; secondly, Cannabis will not be tested for

Workhorse
02-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Big Z hands down. Savickas is the strongest human on the rock.

vdizenzo
02-02-2007, 05:42 AM

From IFSA Doping Policy, 2004 Edition (http://www.fitlike.net/strongman/controlprogram2004.doc):

IFSA might be taking urine but I don't think they are sending it to the labs ;)

Clifford Gillmore
02-02-2007, 05:50 AM
*looks at glowing green urine in vial*

He's cool.

*Throws out window*

SaVvY
02-02-2007, 10:35 AM

eh?? ive been told by a number of people that they dont test for roids in wsm, so if there testing in ifsa, how is it that the ifsa guys are stronger?

vdizenzo
02-02-2007, 10:54 AM
*looks at glowing green urine in vial*

He's cool.

*Throws out window*

It has to be hard to take a specimen when the competitors continuously melt the cups.

bo-da beast71
02-03-2007, 11:35 PM
i thin boltons pretty strong. i just watched him deadlift over a thousand pounds on you tube

Joshua Davis
02-04-2007, 12:11 AM
eh?? ive been told by a number of people that they dont test for roids in wsm, so if there testing in ifsa, how is it that the ifsa guys are stronger?

I know a handful of guys in both feds, if it ever comes up, I'll ask them. That being said, as far as I know, the TWI Super Series is not tested. IFSA introduced testing in late 2002, meaning that all of the finalists of WSM 03 in the bahamas, plus two "lottery" randoms were tested. The lotterys were Svend and Mariusz.

Also, if you read the drug testing doc, they allow 250x (50ng opposed to 2ng) the amount of nandrolone potentially detected by the IOC and grey area answer to testosterone, as well they don't test for as many rec drugs. Since nandrolone and test are quite possibly the most popular drugs for almost all international sports, I assume their purpose is not for the athletes to be clean, just for them to be "healthier" by controlling the amount the athletes can use.

SaVvY
02-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I know a handful of guys in both feds, if it ever comes up, I'll ask them. That being said, as far as I know, the TWI Super Series is not tested. IFSA introduced testing in late 2002, meaning that all of the finalists of WSM 03 in the bahamas, plus two "lottery" randoms were tested. The lotterys were Svend and Mariusz.

Also, if you read the drug testing doc, they allow 250x (50ng opposed to 2ng) the amount of nandrolone potentially detected by the IOC and grey area answer to testosterone, as well they don't test for as many rec drugs. Since nandrolone and test are quite possibly the most popular drugs for almost all international sports, I assume their purpose is not for the athletes to be clean, just for them to be "healthier" by controlling the amount the athletes can use.
ah right, i thought there was no testing at all - cheers for that!

RhodeHouse
02-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I talked to Svend in Boston about the Mariusz suspension. He was disqualified for recreational drugs.

Strongest guys of our time?

I might look at Chuck Vogelpohl
1025 squat @220
815 deadlift @220
1118 squat @275
635 bench @275
not sure about his DL @275

And you can't forget Garry Frank. 2800lb total. That's a fairly strong man.

It's hard to compare between PL and Strongman competitors. When it's all said and done, I think fatboy Savickas is the strongest.

jed
02-04-2007, 04:14 PM
No one beats the build of my man mariusz, he is so huge and ripped compared to alot of the others!!

Guido
02-05-2007, 09:22 AM
No one beats the build of my man mariusz, he is so huge and ripped compared to alot of the others!!That may be true, but we're talking about absolute strength here. No doubt Pudz is in the conversation, though.