PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to lose fat and stay the same weight?

Altephor
01-12-2007, 09:08 PM
So, I did a moderate bulk for the fall, and went from about 140 to 165. My originaly plan was to bulk then cut, but I like being 165, but I am a bit pudgy around the midsection. I can see my abs but they have no definition to them really. So what should I do as far as eating? Eat a lot and keep fats low? Eat at maint?

RedSpikeyThing
01-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Read built's cutting article.

Eat below maintenance, ensuring you get enough protein and fat.

Altephor
01-13-2007, 12:14 PM
That will reduce weight though, won't it?

VikingWarlord
01-13-2007, 12:22 PM
That will reduce weight though, won't it?

Yes. For all intents and purposes, it's impossible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Do one, then the other.

ray34iyf
01-13-2007, 12:24 PM
except..during body recomposition. But that's extremely hard to have that happen so just focus on one at a time.

VikingWarlord
01-13-2007, 12:48 PM
except..during body recomposition. But that's extremely hard to have that happen so just focus on one at a time.

That's why I said "for all intents and purposes". It's possible, it's just usually way less effective than doing one at a time.

Jordanbcool
01-13-2007, 02:07 PM
In my opinion a body recomp is totally grueling and takes YEARS.

I would do what the pro bodybuilders do. Stay within 10lbs of your summer/contest bodyfat. Anything other then that is excessive. So what I'm saying is do a clean bulk then cut down a few weeks before summer starts.

malkore
01-17-2007, 11:12 AM
a body recomp would be feasible if he's only looking to drop 5lbs or less of fat, and has the dedication to do it right for as long as it takes.

I too would say 'just cut for a month' and then do a very slow bulk...barely eat over maintenance, to put on muscle to replace the lost fat.

BostonBull
01-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I say.........Its still winter. Put on ten more pounds of clean weight. Then start your cut back down to 165. If you start your cut now you may drop down to 155-160. If you like your size, and strength at 165, put on some more then drop down. Make sure to gain weight as clean as possible!!

sharkall2003
01-17-2007, 03:23 PM
He could eat at his maintenance for this given bodyweight, read what a bodybuilder eats, sleep well, and lift 4 days a week with about 20 minutes of cardio after the session.

CrazyK
01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
You're going to lose some weight trying to lose fat, but you can minimize the weight loss. The only time I've ever seen someone lose a signifigant amount of bodyfat while maintaining or slightly upping their scale weight was with the use of drugs, or some guys on my team who have incredible genetics.(Eat a bag of cheeto for breakfast, and McD's for dinner, yet sport a nice 6 pack and just seem to make good gains regardless)