PDA

View Full Version : What's up with this?

UncleJoe
01-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Has anyone else ever had this happen- accessory lifts ( tricep extensions, lateral raises, etc.) all moving up, but your bench isn't ? Also, I understand that ' plateaus happen ', but how long is too long ?

Adam
01-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Yup
Just emphasise form work. As soon as you get the form down great and your CNS gets used to it your bench will soar!
You don't have to over worry as long as most lifts are going up.(Unless you have a meet coming!)

vdizenzo
01-14-2007, 07:13 AM
Maybe try comound movements instead of isolation exercises. I can't touch tricep extensions. They ruin my elbows.

Sensei
01-14-2007, 07:20 AM
VDizenzo,
Do you do any kind of DB extension exercises, or do you stick w. JM, board presses, etc.?

bill
01-14-2007, 07:24 AM
I have read some articles on carry over. Basic even though those two exercises may be good. They may not have any carry over to the bench for you.
Like V said, compounds
Military press, db press
declines, inclines, db benching, dips, CG bench and you dont have grip to closely
I don't think you would see much increase to your bench with the exercises you listed.

bill
01-14-2007, 07:26 AM
One example was the guy increased his HS bench, went to do regular bench. He did the same or less on regular bench.

waynedang
01-14-2007, 08:45 AM
I agree with Vin on this. Ext and latterals have no carryover on the lifts. I do them but for recovery maybe a few sets of 20. you would be better off with board work, dips, any compound pressing movements.

I do go heavier on the rear delt raises and side raises but only for direct shoulder work. It has little effect on my pressing gains though.