PDA

View Full Version : How to do cardio if you MUST! by MariAnne Anderson - Jan 14th 2007

Joe Black
01-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Its no secret, MariAnne hates cardio.. Ok, ok... But you feel you MUST do it? MariAnne puts you on the right track to get the best results from your cardio-vascular exercise.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292

Enjoy! :)

Daniel

Unholy
01-15-2007, 12:27 AM
About time someone got the facts straight on cardio!

ShockBoxer
01-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I've added a set of five rowing machine sprints (all out for 30 seconds, rest for 30) after each of my sessions. In just two weeks my endurance has skyrocketed but I'm wondering if it will be detrimental in the long run? I'm aiming for a slow gain in strength and a big improvement to overall athletic conditioning (bearing in mind I can't run because of my deformity).

Built
01-15-2007, 04:57 PM
I can't see how 5 minutes of these sprints could do anything but good. How many times a week do you do these?

BostonBull
01-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Read the article last night.....Great info!! once again a very well put together article by BUILT. Cant wait to start doing sprints to get my endurance up. If I can get my breathing up, heart rate down, with minimal strengh losses and with minimal time on the treadmills I will be happy.

Built
01-15-2007, 07:42 PM
You and me both, Bull.

Thanks very much for reading it, and for the props.

Anthony
01-16-2007, 07:11 AM
I've added a set of five rowing machine sprints (all out for 30 seconds, rest for 30) after each of my sessions. In just two weeks my endurance has skyrocketed but I'm wondering if it will be detrimental in the long run? I'm aiming for a slow gain in strength and a big improvement to overall athletic conditioning (bearing in mind I can't run because of my deformity).

The great thing about HIIT is that it has very little impact on overall strength/muscle gains. It might be a different story if you were an elite weightlifter or powerlifter, but for the goals you described, you're on the right path.

bdd814
01-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Very nice info and variations!

Guido
01-16-2007, 09:40 AM
I love HIIT. All the benefits of fat loss and increased endurance without all the time commitment. A great thing when you want to spend more time focused on building STRENGTH.

KoolDrew
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Great article Built. I am planning a routine for my girlfriend to loose weight and this article helped out tons for figuring out the cardio part. Keep up the good work!

Built
01-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Thank you very much, KoolDrew - let me know how it works out for her.

Nicoman
01-30-2007, 04:37 AM
Wow great article thanks Built. This is exactly the information I needed to incorporate cardio in my routine.

KoolDrew
02-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Built, I would like to add some cardio into the routine, especially some HIIT. The routine is as follows:

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay Rows

Since my girlfriends goal is lose fat I really want to add in some cardio, but I am afraid HIIT would hurt recovery on a full body routine. Especially since HIIT is quite the leg workout and she squats three times a week. What exactly would your recommendations be for cardio and fat loss when it comes to such a routine? I really don't want to change the routine because we've been doing it for a couple weeks already, but I really want to start incorporating some more cardio. Right now we only do about 10 minutes of jogging on the treadmill after lifting. Just let me know what you think the ideal training routine would be.

Built
02-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Wow. Squats three times a week.

Cool! Okay, a few questions:

1. Is she new to lifting, or has she been at it for a while?
2. How much does she squat?
3. What macros (calories etc) do you have her running for this?
4. how heavy is she? How much weight does she have to lose?
5. Has she done any cardio in the past? What kind of cardiovascular shape is she in.

I'm sure I'll think of others, but these are basic before I go anywhere near a recommendation for HIIT.

KoolDrew
02-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Wow. Squats three times a week.

Is that a bad thing?

She just started the routine (it's the same routine I'm using) and she doesn't even know how to squat properly yet. As for diet, that's something we are slowly working our way into. She is around 152 pounds and is not in very good cardiovascular shape.

Built
02-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Nothing wrong with squats three times a week - it's a natural movement.

That being said, it's the movement I've had the most trouble with. Go figure.

If she's comfortable training the same way as you, at least she'll have plenty of practice with squats. You might consider goblet squats to help her get her form. Please be sure to start her light. If it's at all helpful to know, when I started lifting, it took me three months to squat the bar, and a year to squat my weight. I'm sure I could have hit these goals faster if I had someone working with me, but I got there, eventually. :)

My feeling is that the time to work on an endurance base is at the beginning of a cut. As the cut progresses, perhaps ease back a little on the steady state in favour of shorter, more intense cardio - increased capillary and mitochondrial density surely won't be a hardship by the time she gets to HIIT!

Since she's not in very good cardiovascular shape at the moment, and she's still a little heavy (? - not sure how tall she is), I wouldn't suggest HIIT just yet. You mentioned jogging - I'm not a fan of jogging - particularly while a little heavy. It can be a lot of pounding - although she may be fine with it.

Perhaps get her used to doing a little fast incline walking or some other moderate-intensity cardio after her workouts for a bit - say, 10-20 minutes at 3-3.5 mph and say a 5% grade.

From here I'd start easing her into hill repeats once a week, on a non-training day. As her cardio base improves and her weight drops, she can start working into some intervals - but they're pretty advanced - I can't imagine doing them while I was still plump.

The biggest part of this is, of course diet. She'll need to get that one figured out if she intends to achieve and maintain her physique goals.

Any of this help?

beatlesfreak
02-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Built, I would like to add some cardio into the routine, especially some HIIT. The routine is as follows:

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay Rows

Since my girlfriends goal is lose fat I really want to add in some cardio, but I am afraid HIIT would hurt recovery on a full body routine. Especially since HIIT is quite the leg workout and she squats three times a week. What exactly would your recommendations be for cardio and fat loss when it comes to such a routine? I really don't want to change the routine because we've been doing it for a couple weeks already, but I really want to start incorporating some more cardio. Right now we only do about 10 minutes of jogging on the treadmill after lifting. Just let me know what you think the ideal training routine would be.

Hey, Kooldrew,

I've been doing Squats 3 times per week for a long time. Love 'em. Can't get enough of 'em. FWIW though, here's how I work HIIT into my schedule. On Friday, instead of the usual 3x5 heavy back squats, I do either front squats or overhead squats with significantly lower weight. That way I still get a decent squat workout and don't feel guilty for "skipping" but I'm able to save some strength for a good HIIT workout on Saturday. Then I sit on my butt and chill with the kids all day Sunday so I'll be fresh for the upcoming week.

Just a thought. Built and Anthony [and about a thousand others on this board] are a lot smarter at this stuff than I am, but I've been in this boat so thought I'd chime in.

Good luck.

Built
02-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Beatlesfreak, it's a good thought, and something kool's gf can look into as her fitness level increases. My main concern here is to not rush her into something she's not ready for.

Have you considered doing HIIT on one of your squat days?

Fuzzy
02-21-2007, 05:21 AM
Buil, well now you got me all paranoid about muscles loss and crap! Damn you!

Anyway, come off season I will be doing some very heavy preseason work for rowing.

Something in the vincinity of extremely high intense cardio pretty much every day, sometimes twice, any were from 22 minutes to an hour of steady state high heart rate cardio.

This gonne mess me up big time?

I was thinking of one heavy heavy session, one rowing motion specific, and a moderate intensity weight program.

Any thoughts?

Built
02-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Fuzzy, I honestly don't know how this volume of activity will affect a young man.

My laziness is legendary; my whole focus in this article was "how to do as little as possible, but still get an effect". You're asking me questions that are waaaaay beyond the scope of my knowledge base.

Perhaps ask your rowing coach?

PowerManDL
02-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Buil, well now you got me all paranoid about muscles loss and crap! Damn you!

Anyway, come off season I will be doing some very heavy preseason work for rowing.

Something in the vincinity of extremely high intense cardio pretty much every day, sometimes twice, any were from 22 minutes to an hour of steady state high heart rate cardio.

This gonne mess me up big time?

I was thinking of one heavy heavy session, one rowing motion specific, and a moderate intensity weight program.

Any thoughts?

Weight training isn't programmed by your rowing coach?

Given the volume of work you'd be undertaking, you might need to drop back to two sessions/week, or even just one maximal session, while that's going on, and stay in a maintenance zone (no PR chasing).

Keep the cals up too; you'll need it with all that activity.

Fuzzy
02-23-2007, 05:19 AM
Ok, let me explain the current situation with me and the head rowing coach.

He does not alow squatting, nothing under 8 reps, I basically cant do anything worthwhile in that useless fancy machine layden junkyard with little rich prissys pushing it to failure every single set screaming like a dying pig.

Grrr... dont get me started.

The long and short of it, I do not lift weights in the school gym, I do not listen to him when it comes to weight training. I lift wieghts at another gym, and do my ergo-rower training at the school one. Now, Im not going to argue with him, he knows how to train us with the rowers, just not with the weights.... god the man is so stupid it kills me.

Anyway, back to me!

Now, my workload has been pretty much about 75% of my propsed preseason over these past few months, though alot more of it is technique and boat work rather then pure fitness stuff.

However, I have a big calorie intake, 5000 to 6000 cals a day. I eat alot. Also, I consitently hit new PRs lifting heavy 3 times a week.

My point is... I think I may answer my own question here, but I think I can simply put my faith in my good ol' teenage body, slog myself, lift hard, eat more than the average family combined, and just go with it.

I realised a while back to just not worry so much, lift compounds, limit concentration, and just do it.

Thanks.

Built
02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Fuzzy, it sounds to me like you know your capabilities pretty darned well. Let us know how your approach works out for you. Meanwhile, look up some of the people in the industry who do sport-specific coaching, read what they have to say, hell - fire off an email and ask a question. The worst that can happen is they don't respond.

Off the top of my head, you could start by looking for articles written by people like Tim Skwiat (http://www.train4thegame.com), Mike Robertson (www.RobertsonTrainingSystems.com), or my secret crush Eric Cressey (http://www.ericcressey.com). And don't stop there! Once you've exhausted what you can find by reading, if you decide to follow up with an email, be direct and brief in your inquiry - it'll improve your chance at actually getting a response from these busy professionals.

Good luck!

Fuzzy
02-23-2007, 09:06 PM
I enter the preseason phase April 1, day after my final race.

Ill let you know by the end of the month, for now... Im gonna go do a ****load of research.

Thanks.

Portboy
06-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I suppose there's no way to side-step having todo SS cardio before starting HIIT?

Basically the downsides described for cardio have got me a bit concerned. I want to be faster and not run for 2mins and be out of breath! But i don't want the conversion of fast twitch to slow twitch.

Built
06-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I just noticed this question now.

What exactly is your concern about warming up a little for your HIIT with SS cardio?

Portboy
06-10-2007, 06:43 PM
No worries.

No concern i was just wondering if there would be a bad result if i went straight to the HIIT, but now i think about it i see that SS cardio would actually be better to start with!

Sorry, when i wrote that question i was in one of my annual 'panic about training and try and fix things that aren't actually broken' phases.

Thankyou, again!

Built
06-10-2007, 08:55 PM
...:)

Trevorthefatguy
06-17-2007, 12:56 PM
im loving this info

Built
06-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Thank you trevor! Let's see if we can't get the end of your name to fall off. ;)

method115
09-21-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm a little confused in the beginning of your article you state that cardio can help with muscle growth. Is this all cardio or just certain types? Basically I want to do some cardio that will benefit me in the weight room. I'm not looking to lose weight, just want some cardio that will help me get stronger. I forgot to add with I read the article it sounds like HILL training will do what I'm looking for but not sure. I want to be sure that I know what I'm doing before doing it.

Built
09-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Food helps you grow. If you eat enough to compensate for a little deficit from cardio, it certainly won't hurt your gains.

My reasoning from a muscle-gain perspective was along the lines that because it increases capillary density, you'll have better flow of nutrients to, and better removal of waste products FROM working muscles. Increasing lactate clearance means you can work harder, longer - useful on a bulk, don't you think?

method115
09-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Ah ok I understand now I figured that if i ate enough I would be ok but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Built
09-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Don't go crazy with the cardio unless you love it, there's no need - although HIIT and or a little SS cardio a few times a week won't hinder your gains.

Now, there's another way a little well-placed cardio can help your muscles grow: after a carby meal, go for a walk or a moderate cycle for 10-20 minutes - not only does this serve as active recovery, but the moderate intensity contractions can actually help translocate GLUT4 (transporters) to the cells' surface, encouraging the delivery of much-needed glucose into your muscle cells.

That's right kids - a walk after dinner really IS good for you.

;)

method115
09-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Don't go crazy with the cardio unless you love it, there's no need - although HIIT and or a little SS cardio a few times a week won't hinder your gains.

Now, there's another way a little well-placed cardio can help your muscles grow: after a carby meal, go for a walk or a moderate cycle for 10-20 minutes - not only does this serve as active recovery, but the moderate intensity contractions can actually help translocate GLUT4 (transporters) to the cells' surface, encouraging the delivery of much-needed glucose into your muscle cells.

That's right kids - a walk after dinner really IS good for you.

;)

heh thats cool me my gf will probably do this a nice activity and i can get my daughter involved to.

Built
09-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Yep. Lifelong fitness - so much easier when you learn it at home, when you're growing up. :)

mike42506
07-05-2008, 12:26 AM
great article

J Mac0123
07-12-2008, 11:33 AM
A++ Lovin this article. Definetly goin in my favorites !!

KoSh
07-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Phenominal article! Really, really enjoyed it. It's got great real-life application which makes it an interesting read. When I was in school going for my physical education degree, I wish more instruction was related to real life situations. Great job.

AJ_H
07-27-2008, 02:48 AM
If for HIIT traınıng, I were to do a weıghtlıftıng move say squats but not as tabata traınıng, would thıs be ok?