PDA

View Full Version : Cold water?

nthorpe
01-16-2007, 05:07 AM
I know its been asked before but none of the other threads ive seen have come to a conclusion about it.

Does cold water slow down you metabolism? I saw a show on tv last nite saying it does, on the other hand im kinda under the impression that if you drink cold water, your body needs to work harder to bring the fluid up to body temperature, which in itself uses calories.

Its annoying that there are people who have different opinons on such subjects as it leads to newbies like me having to ask the same question repeatatively. I appologise for this. :bang:

Thanks in advance for any replies. ;)

VDubb
01-16-2007, 09:03 AM
im kinda under the impression that if you drink cold water, your body needs to work harder to bring the fluid up to body temperature, which in itself uses calories.

This is what I've always heard.........

ddegroff
01-16-2007, 10:01 AM
http://health.howstuffworks.com/question447.htm

Found this, but really who cares.

Just drink the water already.

RedSpikeyThing
01-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Ok, lets do some math.
- It takes one kCal (the kind listed on food packaging) to heat 1 kg of water.
-1 kg of water = 1 L of water.
- body temperature is 37 C

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that the water you drink is 1 C. This is stupidly cold and you wouldn't be drinking water that cold.

So for every litre of water you drink at this temperature, it takes 36 calories to heat it up. Lets say you drink 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water every day. That leaves us with a grand total of 136.8 calories burned.

I wouldn't rely on it to make a caloric deficit.

squatdog
01-16-2007, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about it

ddegroff
01-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Ok, lets do some math.
- It takes one kCal (the kind listed on food packaging) to heat 1 kg of water.
-1 kg of water = 1 L of water.
- body temperature is 37 C

Lets say, for the sake of argument, that the water you drink is 1 C. This is stupidly cold and you wouldn't be drinking water that cold.

So for every litre of water you drink at this temperature, it takes 36 calories to heat it up. Lets say you drink 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water every day. That leaves us with a grand total of 136.8 calories burned.

I wouldn't rely on it to make a caloric deficit.

Hey Red by chance did you even click on the link I posted. It does all the math for you. LOL

RedSpikeyThing
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey Red by chance did you even click on the link I posted. It does all the math for you. LOL
:redface:

Well some of us can think on our own!:swear:

ddegroff
01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I can too, but i just like google, lol.

Either way we came to the conclusion, it really doesn't matter.

Optimum08
01-16-2007, 03:00 PM
either way. just drink your water, whether it be cold or warm.

nthorpe
01-17-2007, 12:17 AM
I was more bothered about the metabolism slow down to be honest, thanks for the replies

ArchAngel777
01-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't thinking drinking cold water is worth it for the calories it burns... If I drank ice cold water, 1 gallon, I would be freezing my butt off all day at work. I live in Minnesota as it is, I don't need to be colder than I already am!