PDA

View Full Version : How much protein should I take in one sitting?

leetuck
01-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Hi,

I've had a quick look on the search facility so don't shoot me down for this question.

How much protein can the body take in one sitting?

I read somewhere that the body will only be able to absorb so much protein in one go, the rest is wasted.

I try to eat about 220g of protein per day and spread this over the entire day in smaller amounts rather than have a couple of big meals. I think this way will work best but wanted to know what you all thought.

My protein drink serving consists of 60g of protein, as the protein is absorbed fast I assume non is wasted.

Thanks

RedSpikeyThing
01-16-2007, 08:44 AM
There isn't a limit per sitting. Your body doesn't know what a "Sitting" is.
There is no need to spread it out throughout the day, but I think it would be much easier to do so.

ddegroff
01-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah no upper limit that we know of.

Spreading it through out the day keeps us in a positive nitrogen balance.

And yes some of that protein might get used for energy instead of building muscle.

stepto180
01-17-2007, 12:37 AM
I was always told that the body could only absob a certian amount of protien at a time....after that it gets stored as fat or used for other functions
unfortunatly I cant remeber how much id generally used to build muscle

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-17-2007, 12:42 AM
I was always told that the body could only absob a certian amount of protien at a time....after that it gets stored as fat or used for other functionsThat's incorrect, especially in a caloric deficit. There is no limit. The body will use what it needs for every function that the body needs it for and either store or excrete any excess. The body can also convert protein into glucose via gluconeogensis if the need is required. The body is a very amazing, resilient, adaptive, biological wonder. Don't understimate it's capabilities. :thumbup:

stepto180
01-17-2007, 02:11 AM
The body will use what it needs for every function that the body needs it for and either store or excrete any excess. :thumbup:

im not sure what you mean here

I really think what you are saying is kinda what I was saying say you didnt eat enough other calories and you to function the body normally but you ate a ton of protien then the body would you the protien for functions other then building muscle right??? so if this is true I feel like if the protein isnt being used to build muscle then in a sense it isnt being absorbed(for muscle building purposes) is this completly wrong??

and are you saying that the protien that is not needed will just chill there waiting to be used to build muscle when its needed??

leetuck
01-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Think i've started a debate going here!

Smaller amounts throughout the day for me then.

thanks guys

Steven.Gaskell
01-17-2007, 03:21 AM
i dont know but i imagine if you just ate a meal and are on the toilet soon after thats a good idea of whats happening. 40g per meal seems to be fine for me, above that im on the toilet in no time :strong:

Paul Stagg
01-17-2007, 07:31 AM
This has been discussed over and over again.

There is no upper limit. Period.

'Extra' protein doesn't immediately move to your bowels for excretion. It is used for energy, or stored as fat.

Your body is far too complex to come up with a limit for an individual at any given time, much less for a population. So don't worry about it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-17-2007, 09:15 AM
:withstupi

s0500947
01-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Hm, I'm pretty sure protein doesn't get stored as fat? Any experts here? If protein is just amino acids you can't really convert it to lipids can you?

I've heard smaller bunches throughout the day is better for you as well though.

-Superman-
01-17-2007, 12:55 PM
This is all new to me. I thought the human body can only store 30g of protein per meal and the rest was put in the toilet. I was eating over 1 lbs of chicken breast every dinner during my bulking but and even though I was gaining a lot of muscle, I thought I was wasting protein. Should I just go back to eating lot of protein now? I am still eating over 200g of protein a day however. But before I was hitting the 300's frequently. :D

Stumprrp
01-17-2007, 01:07 PM
just eat up, if the whole 30g was true then most of us would be nowhere because a 6 oz steak has about that much protien, and i know most of us eat at least a lb.

-Superman-
01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
just eat up, if the whole 30g was true then most of us would be nowhere because a 6 oz steak has about that much protien, and i know most of us eat at least a lb.

Awesome! I am going to buy a bunch of 95/5 ground beef hamburger patties. They are easier to eat than plain chicken breast and I like the taste a little bit more. Thanks for tip! :D

Stumprrp
01-17-2007, 01:22 PM
hell yeah dude, get some ground beef, mix it up with some BBQ sauce and spices, and grill, awesome.

Slim Schaedle
01-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Hm, I'm pretty sure protein doesn't get stored as fat? Any experts here? If protein is just amino acids you can't really convert it to lipids can you?

I've heard smaller bunches throughout the day is better for you as well though.

Did someone request pathways? .........

(the answer is yes, they can)

Slim Schaedle
01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
ATTENTION EVERYONE!

There are QUITE A FEW (understated) more things protein is used for throughout the body than contributing to muscle mass. Protein synthesis for the requirement of muscle repair is NOT always a priority.

This post includes a short list....
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=1331355&postcount=43

dinkman23
01-21-2007, 11:52 PM
since there isn't an upper limit, can i just have my 150g of protein in the morning ?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Why would you want to do that? You want to eat protein with every meal to keep your body in a positive Nitrogen balance. Yes, you could do that, but there are other factors that need to be taken into consideration.

dinkman23
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
I want to do it because I don't like eating, and I'd rather get the protein out of the way right away. I've always assumed a lot of protein in one sitting (150g) wasn't such a good idea. I'm asking if it will help me build muscle just as well as spreading out the protein throughout the day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Um...don't do that. Spread it out and eat protein with every meal. Suck it up. We all have to deal with it.