PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about weight gain diet

Pin
01-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone, I'm reworking my diet right now, and I have a couple questions regarding how to get get that massive amount of nutrition into me without throwing it up.

1. Is there any reason NOT to use too much WHEY protein? To me it just seems so insanely easy to put in my body compared to meats. My life would be a lot easier if I could just drink 5 protein shakes a day.

2. Currently my planned diet is about 120g protein/fat and 240g carbs per day and I'm 120 lbs. Is this enough?

3. I read that the human body cannot really store protein, and so therefore you have to eat 6 meals a day with protein (but not necessarily carbs/fat) in every meal for maximum growth efficiency, is this true?

4. I am having a LOT of trouble figuring out how to get 120g of HEALTHY fat into my diet. What are some of the foods/supplements you guys use to get all that fat in your body? What kind of stuff can I add to my meals, etc?

Those are all my questions, thanks in advance for any answer!

-Pin

ddegroff
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
1. No limit, I just like to chew my food.
2. Yeah enough protein, carbs are individual, make sure your fats are .5g/lb of LBM (lean body mass).
3. Your body can store protein as muscle any excess will be stored as fat tho. You eat protein throughout the day to stay in a positive nitrogen balance.
4. Nuts, natty PB, olive oil, avocados. and see #2 about how much fat you need.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-16-2007, 02:42 PM
1. Is there any reason NOT to use too much WHEY protein? To me it just seems so insanely easy to put in my body compared to meats. My life would be a lot easier if I could just drink 5 protein shakes a day.If all you're drinking is protein shakes, then no...that's not a good idea. But whey is derived from milk, so I see no reason why you can't drink it more often. But you do need to vary your diet so it's rich in nutrients. You can check out the Recipes section for high calorie shake recipes.

2. Currently my planned diet is about 120g protein/fat and 240g carbs per day and I'm 120 lbs. Is this enough?That all depends. How many calories are you consuming a day? If you aren't already, you should be tracking everything you eat into www.fitday.com. If you are gaining 1-1.5 pounds a week at your current caloric intake and training regimen, then stay at that intake. So if you're gaining on 2,500 calories or something, stick with it until you stop gaining. And then add 200-300 calories and stay at the new intake for a week. If you don't gain, add another 200-300 calories the next week. It's a trial and error process. And always weigh yourself first thing in the morning naked and before you eat or drink anything at the beginning of each week.

3. I read that the human body cannot really store protein, and so therefore you have to eat 6 meals a day with protein (but not necessarily carbs/fat) in every meal for maximum growth efficiency, is this true?Eating protein with every meal helps keep your body in a positive Nitrogen balance, so it would be a good idea to eat 5-6 meals a day (divided from your total calories for the day, of course). And no, the body can only store fat, but not protein or carbs. It is optimal to eat 5-6 meals a day, but you can still make gains eating less. But considering breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a pre and post workout meal or shake, that's already 5 "meals" right there anyway.

4. I am having a LOT of trouble figuring out how to get 120g of HEALTHY fat into my diet. What are some of the foods/supplements you guys use to get all that fat in your body? What kind of stuff can I add to my meals, etc?Meat, olive oil, avocados, fish oil, tuna, nuts (you can eat nuts at every meal and that will help you with your intake), etc...

Here's a great article on different types of fat ~> http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284

Some other helpful links ~>
Best of Diet and Nutrition Threads (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65848)
Best of Bodybuilding and Fitness Threads (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=34313)

What's your current training routine like? (days, exercises - sets/reps for each)

What are you goals?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Your body can store protein as muscle any excess will be stored as fat tho.That isn't necessarily true and let's not dive into that topic again. Any macronutrient you're consuming when eating over maintenance can be stored as fat. There's nothing magical about fat storage and protein. There are many underlying factors regarding fat storage and body composition, but let's try and keep things simple.

ddegroff
01-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Alright, Alright. Simple it is. :nod:

EDIT: On second thought, "storage" of fat and carbs is something completely different. But the amino's are stored and can be used for energy if they are needed. I'll stop.:cool:

Pin
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
ddegroff, thanks for answers!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN, really detailed response, thanks a lot! I work out every other day alternating between legs, chest/shoulders, and back. I just came back from a 3 month break due to a tear in my elbow joint, but unfortunately I used that break to train in Brazilian Jiujitsu, which was a stupid idea because the sport is about cranking limbs.

Anyways, the goal is to gain 25 pounds of muscle/fat/water in about 4-5 months. That is my ideal goal although I'd be happy with a smaller gain and just staying healthy.

Thanks again, will take a look at those links and try to improve my diet further.

-Pin

Pin
01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Oh! One more question, I heard that SOY protein is actually BAD for you for some reason, is this true??

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Oh! One more question, I heard that SOY protein is actually BAD for you for some reason, is this true??You might want to have a look at this ~> http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/pdf/pdf050400nl.pdf

I work out every other day alternating between legs, chest/shoulders, and back.I meant your full routine. This means the days, the exercises, and the sets/reps you do for each exercise.

I just came back from a 3 month break due to a tear in my elbow joint, but unfortunately I used that break to train in Brazilian Jiujitsu, which was a stupid idea because the sport is about cranking limbs.Ouch. You might want to take it easy.

Pin
01-16-2007, 06:59 PM
OK I read that article, and I still don't really know what decision to make! haha!

Whatever, all I know is that vanilla soy milk is the central ingredient in making my protein shakes drinkable.

My full workout routine:

I don't do workouts by week, I just go every other day and cycle between 3 different workouts:

In every session I do a core workout. Crunches, back raises and also that exercise where you dip down toward the side while holding a weight and coming back up.

1: Chest / Shoulders

(I'm not doing bench press, dips or military press due to my elbow)
Flies (incline) - 2 warm ups at 10 reps, then 8/8/6/4
Flies (decline) - 8/6/6
Lateral raises - 8/8/6/4
Front raises 8/8/6/4
reverse flies - 8/6/4

2: Back

Wide grip pull-ups - 2 warm up sets at 10 reps, then 8/8/6/4
Bent over rows (dumbbells) - 1 warm up set 10 reps, then 8/8/6/4, burnout on lat pull down machine 6-9 reps
That machine with the cable where you are sitting down, and pull the cable in front of you towards your abs without leaning back - 8/8/6/4
Back extensions - 12/8/8/6
bicep curls (dumbells) - 8/8/6/6 then a burnout set with the cable machine with a front-side grip 6-9 reps

3: Legs

Leg press (ya im a pussy i know, i'll switch to squats soon) - 2 warm ups at 10-12 reps, then 8/8/6/4, burnout set on leg extension machine 6-10 reps
Stiff-legged dead lift - 2 warm ups 8 reps then 8/8/6/6, burnout set on the hamstring curl machine 6-10 reps
calf raise machine - 12/10/8/6, burnout 6-10 reps

Thats it, I'm usually pretty accurate with choosing weight for my exercises and will hit failure at the right time, but sometimes I might not be able to do the last rep or might be able to do an extra. I add sets when I feel like I can do more.

Of course any advice will be helpful!!!
Thanks a lot guys

-Pin

ddegroff
01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Not bad, too much volume for my tastes.

Once the elbow is better go for chins vs Pull downs.

And START squating now!

Finally, train your abs like every other muscle. Three days a week may be too much depending how much you do each day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-16-2007, 07:43 PM
OK I read that article, and I still don't really know what decision to make! haha!

Whatever, all I know is that vanilla soy milk is the central ingredient in making my protein shakes drinkable.

My full workout routine:

I don't do workouts by week, I just go every other day and cycle between 3 different workouts:

In every session I do a core workout. Crunches, back raises and also that exercise where you dip down toward the side while holding a weight and coming back up.

1: Chest / Shoulders

(I'm not doing bench press, dips or military press due to my elbow)
Flies (incline) - 2 warm ups at 10 reps, then 8/8/6/4
Flies (decline) - 8/6/6
Lateral raises - 8/8/6/4
Front raises 8/8/6/4
reverse flies - 8/6/4

2: Back

Wide grip pull-ups - 2 warm up sets at 10 reps, then 8/8/6/4
Bent over rows (dumbbells) - 1 warm up set 10 reps, then 8/8/6/4, burnout on lat pull down machine 6-9 reps
That machine with the cable where you are sitting down, and pull the cable in front of you towards your abs without leaning back - 8/8/6/4
Back extensions - 12/8/8/6
bicep curls (dumbells) - 8/8/6/6 then a burnout set with the cable machine with a front-side grip 6-9 reps

3: Legs

Leg press (ya im a pussy i know, i'll switch to squats soon) - 2 warm ups at 10-12 reps, then 8/8/6/4, burnout set on leg extension machine 6-10 reps
Stiff-legged dead lift - 2 warm ups 8 reps then 8/8/6/6, burnout set on the hamstring curl machine 6-10 reps
calf raise machine - 12/10/8/6, burnout 6-10 reps

Thats it, I'm usually pretty accurate with choosing weight for my exercises and will hit failure at the right time, but sometimes I might not be able to do the last rep or might be able to do an extra. I add sets when I feel like I can do more.

Of course any advice will be helpful!!!
Thanks a lot guys

-PinYou're missing the big 3 (squats, deadlifts, and bench press). Flies are not as good as BB or DB press, in my opinion. Have you tried using the dumbbell variation of the bench press? What happened to your elbow? When is it supposed to heal? And you should use as few machines as possible, or none at all.

I would suggest switching to one of these routines ~>
WBB Routine #1 (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25)
Baby Got Back (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255)

Pin
01-16-2007, 08:23 PM
I was doing dumbbell bench press and I guess I was moving up too much too fast. I started feeling a click in my right elbow and unfortunately I didn't stop. It turned into pain and I couldn't do any pushing exercises requiring my elbows to bend. I saw a doctor about it he said to take it easy on those exercises. I'm seeing another doctor next week.

It's been 3 months now and I still get the click so I've decided to give it more time rather than risk further injury (plus I did get armbarred quite a bit while doing jiu jitsu, so it could easily be a new injury).

I'll start squatting for my next leg workout. Thanks again guys.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Perhaps you should get a second opinion.