PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift session

Detard
01-16-2007, 07:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LYK60ISO4I
anyone wanna give me some tips or pointers? i know i have to try and keep my hips lower and drive my feet more into the ground but if theres anything else? it is a bad angle which makes my back look like its rounding more than it is so try and keep that in mind.

Stumprrp
01-16-2007, 07:38 PM
it doesnt look very bad at all, aside from the lower hips make sure to reset in between reps, makes it harder, i tend to raise my hips way to soon as you are in the video but it comes with practice, squeeze it off the floor with the legs and pull BACK BACK and BACK.

Jordanbcool
01-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Light!! I couldn't see it very well :(

BFGUITAR
01-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Personally my butt goes a bit lower than that, dont know if thats a good thing.

Tofer
01-16-2007, 09:27 PM
You're moving some nice weight around. Nice job. I would definitely recommend using a lot more leg drive, though. Your legs are locking out way before your back, which is causing you to pull almost entirely with your back. When you begin with each rep it's almost like your straightening your legs out completely before the bar has even left the ground. I know it's been said already, but get those hips down and push your ass back a bit more. Also, try to arch your back more, so that it isn't parallel to the ground (although, I think that problem will be corrected once you start bringing your hips down further, because if your hips are parallel to the ground, it'll be almost impossible for your back to be, too).

Detard
01-16-2007, 09:50 PM
thanks for the great advice so far! i'll work on what you guys have said and post up another video for comparison.

jordan- yeah the light is terrible down there but the camera makes it even darker for some reason when it focuses. i'll try and fix it for next time

KevinStarke
01-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Nice pulling man.

Detard
01-16-2007, 10:23 PM
thanks kevin!

Mad Martigan
01-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Nice Maiden

Relentless
01-17-2007, 10:20 AM
disable the autofocus on your camera and focus it manually on an object at your deadlifting location. :)

Is there a powerlifting association in your area? There is no substitute for a live observer watching your form and correcting it as you go. Most PLers will help you out if you ask. Check websites and such to find 'em. You might even be able to find a coach!

You're right that the angle makes the back look more rounded but even allowing for that it still looks too rounded to me. If you can't get an arch in your back at least at the bottom of the movement, work on your flexibility until you can. I would echo the others comments about leg drive and hip drive being good for you to focus on; it'll make your lifting easier.

- for the 225 lifts, you may want to reset for each rep until you can get all the way down without losing your arch... banging it off the floor and allowing the rounding to creep into your low back is not the best idea... it may also help to 'dip' your hips a little lower just before starting each rep

- loosen up your shoulders and let them drop; this will let you get behind the bar more and PULL properly

- don't 'jerk' or 'yank' the weight up; pull with a smooth motion or 'squeeze' it up as stump suggests

Detard
01-17-2007, 01:59 PM
awesome! thanks for the detailed response relentless. I am currently looking for a powerlifting coach or someone who knows the lifts well to help give me some guidance. i'm bringing in a proper video camera on friday so i can have better lighting. i'll hope to have another video up on friday with hopefully better form.

thanks again though!

sharkall2003
01-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah, keep that arch in your back really tight, and get those heels closer to the bar. You're keeping the bar close to your chins, but not to your heels. I was always told: butt down, back caved in, chest out, deep breath and explode your heels through the ground while keeping back straight and having the bar scratch your chins and knees.

Natetaco
01-17-2007, 03:09 PM
looked good overall man and great music! More leg drive i think would help and more of a back arch, your legs were locking out basically right when you started the pulls. This has all already been said but thats still decent form and good weight!

Detard
01-17-2007, 03:58 PM
thanks for the props and advice everyone!

peacefrog
01-18-2007, 05:38 AM
I think you should try get your ass quite a bit closer to the floor. As mentioned above, there isn't enough leg drive.

NateDawg24
01-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure why everyone always recommends keeping the hips so low. I find at least in my case you can lift alot more with less leg drive. All the videos I watch of the huge lifters (700+ pulls) do this too.

I can't post link yet but if you search on youtube you will see what i mean.