PDA

View Full Version : Cardio and 'Bulking'

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-20-2001, 08:32 AM
Ok, i'm 'Bulking' as it were.

I haven't done and cardio for quite a while which is a shame cause i used to be really fit.

If i get up early on a morning and do say a 20 minute jog (three days a week) will this really affect me putting on size?

Benefits i can think of: Improved fitness, better/stronger/fitter heart, possible decrease in bodyfat maybe?(is that possible whilst eating alot of calories?) and it would also give me some direction. What i mean by this is that i would get up 30 minutes earlier and see more ofthe best part of the day. Also, i would have to go to bed earlier which would mean i spend less time on the net, cause lets face it, i have nearly a million posts on here ---> i'm a loser. It needs sorting out.

Give me your views thank you.

hemants
03-20-2001, 09:00 AM
I'm no expert but I believe there are two issues with cardio and bulking:

1. Calories - when bulking, you want to eat more calories then you expend. In theory, if this was the only issue, you could eat extra to compensate for the cardio at no cost to your bulking.

2. Recouperative ability - When bulking, it is not only your muscles that need the resources of your body. Working out hard taxes your entire system thus increasing cardio may redirect these resources and prevent optimal recouperation.

I think 15 or 20 minutes is more of a warmup and probably doesn't deplete your glycogen stores so I wouldn't worry. To be safe you may want to eat a carb snack before your jog so as not to hinder your bulking.

My unscientific $0.02

Paul Stagg
03-20-2001, 09:44 AM
But a valuable $.02.

I agree. I find that doing some limited cardio actually improves my lifting.

20 mins, 2 or 3 times a week.

YMMV

03-20-2001, 09:46 AM
If your doing HIIT cardio in the morning on an empty stomach I believe 15 to 20 minutes is definately enough time to deplete your glycogen stores.

Other then the cardio improving your cardiovascular system, I don't see any point in eatting some carbs before doing it if your main reason is to lose or maintain your body fat while bulking.

chris mason
03-20-2001, 10:13 AM
Goes back to the jack of all trades and master of none thing. If you want to optimize muscular size and strength, then cardio has no place in your routine. However, that is not to say that you cannot grow and do some limited cardio exercise. Hemants' points 1 and 2 said it very well. I think that you should include the cardio because you want to be healthy as well as big.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-20-2001, 10:31 AM
I do want to be a good size, but i also want to be healthy. I am willing to put the fitness bit on the side until i reach my desired size. I have already shown this by my complete expulsion of cardio from my routine.

I will put the cardio on hold until i diet and then when i sort out my 'maintainance' diet, i will add a few extra cals to compensate for the cardio.

gino
03-20-2001, 10:37 AM
Agreed.

If you want to be healthier, do cardio. Fat loss is a result of a caloric defecit, so cardio is not required. It will however, help you achieve that caloric defecit if your not interested in doing it with your diet. Up until I started sprinting last week, I hadn't done cardio in 8 weeks and I stayed pretty damn lean. I gained 2% bodyfat and 8 lbs.

The_Chicken_Daddy
03-20-2001, 10:40 AM
Yes.

My main concern at present is getting big enough to look even sexier (tough task for someone so beautiful).

Once i get there i will incorporate the jogging etc..