PDA

View Full Version : Bulk gone awry!? Help if ya can..

shucash
02-14-2002, 06:13 PM
Hey fellas -

About three weeks ago I started bulking and doing the WBB routine. I was 5'11, 160lbs and I was eating like three small meals a day. Sometimes less!

Since then I've been eating 5-6 meals a day. Lots of whole wheat bread [6 slices a day sometimes] tons of natty peanut butter and chicken breast and lots of milk. Its been a little over 3 weeks and I'm weighing in at 172lbs.. but it looks to me like most of the damn weight went to my stomach!![and legs] Now when I sit I can see a nice little ripple of fat that was NEVER there. And my pants are MUCH tighter around the waist. Maybe I'm panicking, but is this an OK thing to happen while bulking? Eventually I'd like to have nice abs! [tight stomach like before I started bulking, only with definition]

Should I cut out the damn milk/pb/bread thing.. or stick with it and worry about losing it later?

Thanks for the help boys -
Vin

EasyGino
02-14-2002, 07:21 PM
Another person that decided to put weight on by getting fat. Drop all the fats, and exchange it for protein.. Lots of protein, and work out. That's all you have to do.. Its a lengthy process, and you wont change over night. Just keep motivated!

TreeTrunks
02-14-2002, 07:23 PM
How many calories are/were taking in? At 160lbs I would say take in 3300 to bulk. That is a rough ball park est.

Slim Schaedle
02-14-2002, 08:10 PM
drop all the fats, and exchange it for protein
Do Not drop all the fats...you still need some good dietary fats for bulking and cutting.

unev_en
02-14-2002, 08:22 PM
Another person that decided to put weight on by getting fat. Drop all the fats, and exchange it for protein..

DO NOT drop all fat. Fat is necessary; 20-25% of total caloric intake should be in the form of fat. Besides, your body can only use so much protein; to ingest further protein is simply an expensive way to consume glucose. Perhaps lower your overall caloric intake a bit instead.

EasyGino
02-14-2002, 08:37 PM
I meant drop all the fats as in most... His intake of fats is very high, of course i dont mean cut it to 0G of fat, but yeah.. Sorry for the confusion.

Slim Schaedle
02-14-2002, 08:44 PM
shucash, unless you are adding tons of flab, and little muscle, i think that's just something you may have to get used to about bulking. The abs are pretty much the first thing to go when you start a new bulking routine. If you like to stay leaner, you can always do a shorter bulking phase, or just don't load up on ton's of calories.

Qea
02-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Lower the carbs or fat, keep protein intake high

From what I know, protein is not really a variable when adjusting calories

unev_en
02-14-2002, 09:50 PM
EasyGino,

I apologize for what may have seemed like criticism; I can see where there was a misunderstanding. Sorry about that :).

BTW, regarding bulking, it seems, at least to me, far easier and far healthier in the long run to aim for a gradual strength and size increase using a small caloric excess. Gains on such a program are not only possible but probable, while BF% can remain largely unchanged. I've been doing this for a while now, and while my weight has not increased significantly, what weight I have gained has been almost entirely muscle. This saves you from the painful, uncomfortable cutting process :), and leaves you leaner over the long run.

That is, if leanness is a priority for you. If not, eat away.

Par Deus
02-14-2002, 10:15 PM
Get rid of the peanut butter.

Shocker
02-14-2002, 10:59 PM
and the bread

I do the shorter bulking phases or just teeter the fat at the excess level so I am not lean but not FAT. When I get abs happening I lose them again in a littlle chubby blanket :) I think this is what Slim and unev_en were sort of talking about.

shucash
02-14-2002, 11:14 PM
Guys -

Thanks everyone for your input. Very valuable.

I'm going to be careful with the peanut butter every night, and watch my carb intake. I think I've been taking in too much fat.. Also, I think you are right about just getting used to it. I am not gaining TONS of fat.. I've just NEVER had anything on my abs and I guess it kinda freaked me out.

20-25% of intake should be calories from fat? is that what you guys mean when you say 25% fat?

Thanks for the input fellas -
Vin

majsi98
02-15-2002, 02:02 AM
Why all these calories to bulk I am 190lbs and anything over 3400 cals makes me fat I grow steadily on a 3400 diet

Par Deus
02-15-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Shocker
and the bread

Carbs are the foundation of a proper bulking cycle.

Slim Schaedle
02-15-2002, 09:16 AM
yeah shocker, we're on the same page. My bulking and cutting cycles are almost the same length. I bulked once for like 4 months, and just gained too much fat, and my face filled put big time. I don't like that at all. I didn't even look like "me"

Tryska
02-15-2002, 09:19 AM
yeah....cut those carbs some. you can keep the fat, you can keep the protein.....but that stomach fat is a hallmark of not handling carbs all that good. it's that buddha belly syndrome.

Alex.V
02-15-2002, 09:28 AM
People, this isn't rocket science. The guy put on 12 pounds over 3 weeks.... figure how much of that is muscle?

Eat less. You're eating too many calories, more than your body needs to grow. If you're gaining more than 1-1.5 pounds a week, then too much of it will be fat. Keep your protein high, keep your carbs moderate, keep your fat moderate. Apparently your metabolism can't handle massive quantities of food, otherwise I'd say keep your carbs high.

the doc
02-15-2002, 09:59 AM
sounds like a significant amount of water gain (from maxing out glycogen) in addition to the amount of weight in the digestive tract (This will make your belly seem bloated and thus pants tight)from eating lots of food. You cannot really change your body compostion that fast.

the doc
02-15-2002, 10:00 AM
i agree w/ beliel though, you need to get a handle on your cals. not just go all out with eating

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-15-2002, 03:48 PM
you aslo maybe over doing the peanutbutter, those cals add up reaaaaaaal quick especially if your just spooning it out and not measuring it. u only need about 60-70 grams of fat for your size

shucash
02-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Ok -

So here is what I take from everyones comments.

60-70g fat per day.
Try to keep calories around 3000.
Carbs? What should I be aiming for.

I think I have taken on alot of water. No more creatine. Droppin all that ****.

Thanks a million guys - any more advice on a good bulk diet for a 5'11, now 170lbder.. lemme know.

Vin

02-15-2002, 04:40 PM
sucash try a 40/40/20 split at 3000.
works out to 300g carbs, 300g protein, 67g fat.

Slim Schaedle
02-15-2002, 05:22 PM
shucash, why no more creatine, etc?

02-15-2002, 05:47 PM
yes keep the creatine. The water weight is easy to get rid of within 2-3 days if you wanted to.

Par Deus
02-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Avatar
sucash try a 40/40/20 split at 3000.
works out to 300g carbs, 300g protein, 67g fat.

150 grams of that protein will be converted to glucose. Might as well just have it as carbs instead.

02-15-2002, 07:01 PM
par - so you believe that the body can only utilize 1g of protein / lb of weight, and the rest gets converted to glucose, via glucogenisis, correct?

the_hall
02-15-2002, 07:09 PM
I weigh 185 and I usually get about 3700 calories per day. I seem to gain better with those numbers.

I would eat unsalted peanuts. Dont eat crap, crap will make you add fat. All 3700 of my calories are clean, ALL of them. I have stopped putting on so much fat when I eat clean.