PDA

View Full Version : the NITOR project

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 05:44 AM
The Nitor Project Part 1: An Introduction

Joshua Davis

Everyone is doing it. By everyone, I mean nearly everyone that I know or read about in the online strength community. Former heavyweights and middleweights dropping weight as if they had a virus. Several months ago Dave Tate decided to clean up his diet and ramp up his training. He came out stronger, leaner, and with an enviable physique. Coach Dan John, author of the GetUp! Newsletter, took off around 30lbs of body fat in a relatively short amount of time. He turned his beer-belly into a 6-pack! With this motivation quite a few persons in the online strength community followed suit, but I initially turned my nose to the idea.

Of course, I had already experienced my own weight loss lumps when I decided to take up strength sports. Before 2002, I had been quite sedentary and weighed well over 400lbs. Within a couple of years I had lost around 80lbs, looked well, felt better, and was doing pretty good as a novice strongman competitor placing 6th in a field of 13 in my first strongman (or any strength-related) competition.

Fast forward to October of 2006, the first Annual Orlando Strongman Competition. I had trained hard for this show, but my training volume and diet had both been pathetic due to my lengthy work-commute and other time constraints. I weighed in for this competition at 380.5lbs. The competition was going VERY well until the last event where a deadlift stood between me and a 2nd place finish along with an invite to NAS Nationals for 2007… and I missed that deadlift... Simply put, being a heavier man killed my physical leverage for the lift. Suddenly, the weight loss success stories that I had once scoffed at became a lot more intriguing.

Starting immediately after recovering from the competition, I attempted a protein-supplement based liquid-only diet. My energy levels were horrible, even after the first few days had passed. At that point I decided to purchase a couple of bottles of Thermocin from AtLarge Nutrition. Thermocin made an immediate and powerful difference providing me the energy I needed to power through each day.

With the exception of a fairly low-carb Thanksgiving, and a single family outing to a restaurant, the month of November was fairly strict. I kept my fats around 40% of my overall calories using peanut butter, fish oil capsules, and occasional snacks of walnuts, almonds, and macadamias. Protein made up 50% of my overall calories, with carbohydrates taking the remaining 10% primarily in the form of my fiber capsules and whatever carbs were in the protein powders and flax meal I consumed. Eventually, I worked up to eating a very small meal once per day which consisted of tuna, salmon, chicken, egg whites or occasionally red meat or cottage cheese and one green veggie. Within 14 days I had lost 14lbs. Within 30 days, I had lost approximately 32lbs, and while my squatting went down a bit my deadlift went through the roof; I added 50lbs to my all-time personal best! After the 30lbs loss I took a two week break over the Christmas holiday.

I had separated my weight loss goals into 3 “phases” of 20-30 lbs each. My November/December phase was the first step. Phase 2 has already commenced and as of this writing I have dropped an additional 10lbs. I have also come to an agreement with AtLarge Nutrition, LLC which will allow me to use solely their products for the duration of my program. I contacted them because I realized that the more weight I lose the harder it will get, and switching from using inferior protein powders and supplements to AtLarge’s premium products will be key to my ultimate success.

I cannot tell you how much better I feel being 40lbs lighter. My conditioning and flexibility have improved dramatically. I have incorporated Olympic weightlifting into my training (for the coordination and explosive power it helps to develop) and would not have done so without the weight loss as I would have lacked the necessary confidence in my conditioning and overall agility. My strongman training has also benefited from the new, leaner me as I can go at it harder and longer even in the Florida heat.

I want to stress that this regimen is intended for the experienced. It is not for everyone, but I do invite everyone to join me on this journey by reading and actively participating in my journal. Stay tuned as I chronicle my loss of 40lbs or more during the next 8 weeks.

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 05:45 AM
The Nitor Project Part 2: The Diet

Joshua Davis

In the event there is any confusion I want to clarify that my diet for this program is unique. It does draw influence from other liquid-based ketogenic (low carb) diets, but it is something I have created based upon personal experience, and to a lesser extent, information I have gleamed from successful bodybuilders, nutritionists, and athletic coaches.

To recap (from Part 1), this diet relies on a macronutrient breakdown of mostly protein (around 55-60% of total calories) with roughly 10% of daily calories coming from carbohydrates and the remainder being healthy fats. A shot of carbs, through drinking a serving of Opticen, is consumed immediately after training. This initial protocol is adhered to 7 days per week for the first 2 weeks of each phase.

After the initial 2-week period there is a switch to 5 days as described above followed by a 2 day re-feed. The re-feed days are fully utilized as the 2nd day incorporates a lengthy training session. For the re-feed days I consume significantly greater amounts of carbohydrates using low-fat and carbohydrate dense foods such as pasta, bagels, and fruit.

Re-feed days obviously also involve a significant increase in caloric intake. This is perfectly acceptable and the actual amount of total calories consumed is mitigated by the fact my stomach has shrunk from the primarily liquid meal days and just can’t handle much food.

Below is an account of what most of my low-calorie training days look like:

5:30AM: Wake up, take 3 Nitor and 4 ETS with water. Stretches and flexibility drills and occasionally some plyometric work to get the day started.
6:30AM: On the way to work I drink 4 scoops of Nitrean mixed with 2 tablespoons of ground flax meal. I also take 2 fiber capsules and 1 gram of fish oil capsules.
9:30AM: 1-2 scoops of Nitrean in water and 1 ounce of roasted almonds (22 almonds) or macadamia nuts (12 large kernels).
11:30AM: Lunch: 4-6oz of tuna/chicken/salmon/etc, 1 cup of raw veggies (broccoli or cauliflower), 1 cup of cottage cheese, 2 fiber capsules, 1 gram fish oil, 1 serving of Multi-Plus, and a diet cola or sugar-free green tea. (It may not seem like much, but after a period of liquid dieting, it’s a feast).
12:00PM: 3 Nitor capsules with water.
3:30PM: 2 scoops Nitrean in water, 2 fiber capsules, and 1 gram of fish oil.
5:30-6:00PM: Dinner: 2 scoops of Nitrean with water, ice, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, and 2 tablespoons of flax seeds all blended together. Take with 2 fiber capsules and 1g of fish oil.
7:30PM: Training for 1.5-2 hours
9:30PM: Immediately post-workout drink 1 serving of Opticen MRP.
10:00PM: 4 ETS with water, sleep.

The above, as written, puts 60% of my daily calories from protein, 30% from fats, and 10% from carbs all wrapped-up neatly into less than 2200 calories. The fats, coupled with the Nitor, will help with that ever-present lack of energy that a ketogenic and calorie-reduced diet is notorious for. In short, this diet will keep my metabolism churning constantly while still allowing me enough calories to prevent going into a catabolic state.

Let me stress that the benefits of this diet don’t merely revolve around the fact it is a primarily liquid diet. Some people may think they can mix their shakes with milk and get the same results. I assure you they won't. I really want to make sure people know that this diet is helped by being liquid based, but the magic is in the macro nutrients, convenience, and the overall reduction of calories.

I have found my cravings for “bad” foods actually diminished and replaced by a craving for crunchy green veggies and cold, clean water. Others who have followed similar diets have expressed the same feelings in as little as a week. I have also found that for someone who works “on the road” and has no time to prepare meals, using a supplemental protein-based diet was actually more economic than eating because I wasn't blowing my cash on fast food fare. Not to mention how much easier it is to fill a shaker cup with water and protein over visiting a restaurant. Finally, the re-feed concept, utilized for years by bodybuilders and suggested as a weight loss tool for athletes by well known nutritionists and coaches is the icing on the proverbial cake. It tops off your depleted glycogen stores and tells your metabolism that you aren't actually dieting. Finally (and arguably most importantly), it keeps you from going crazy and killing everyone by allowing you to eat those beloved carbohydrates every once in awhile.

For anyone reading this, when you match this diligent eating regimen with regular training and throw in enough time to make both a habit (just like most things in life), distant goals become past milestones.

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 05:46 AM
The Nitor Project Part 3: The Training

Joshua Davis

In part 1 of this series I discussed the personal benefits I have seen from my weight loss odyssey thus far:

Increased mobility and flexibility
A dramatic increase in my deadlift
I was able to identify and resolve form related issues on the more technical lifts like squat cleans and snatches
Increased work capacity in the gym

Even with the above benefits, it took some work to get my training just right. Rapid weight loss and strength training are a tricky duo.

I have found that high rep training is not ideal for me during this process. A simpler 5x5 (5 or fewer reps) type of approach works best. When training while in a massive calorie deficit I simply do not have the energy to perform high repetition work.

Below is my day by day training protocol:

Monday:

I perform several movements on Mondays. I begin with some Olympic work to include cleans and front squats or perhaps powerclean and jerks. I may also incorporate a few 5 rep sets of back squats. I round out the day with weightlifting drills and some 20 rep leg extensions for knee health.

My Olympic work involves a 1, 2, 3 ladder scheme. The 1, 2, 3 ladder protocol consists of 3 sets with the first set being 1 rep, the 2nd set 2 reps, and 3 reps on the 3rd set. You keep the rest periods very short. This type of training can involve high volume (dozens of sets) and allows for work on form while one is fatigued.

Wednesday:

Deadlifts are the main movement of the day. I move from triples to singles then reduce the load and do some drop-setting (slight Coan-Phillipi influence). I may also add in some snatches and always include some general back work (rows, shrugs, lat pulldowns etc.). I will use 8-10 reps for the accessory work. As with my Olympic lifting on Monday, I may use the ladder scheme for the snatches. I also like to mix things up with various varieties of snatches (power, squat, or off blocks).

Friday:

I perform various types of presses on normal Fridays. Due to a shoulder problem which my sports doc is working on, I have been using primarily weightlifting drills as of late. Once my shoulder issue is resolved I will stick with primarily dumbbell shoulder presses (5x5), barbell push presses (triples to singles), barbell push-jerks (singles to triples), behind the neck jerks (singles to triples), and some heavy rack lockouts.

Saturday:

Saturday is my favorite day as it is the Team Florida Strongman training day. The shoulder problem mentioned above has limited me to conditioning work on recent Saturdays. Normal Saturdays involve outdoor training and may last up to 3 hours. Traditional strongman movements such as tire flips, keg-thigh carries, yoke walks, and atlas stone lifts are practiced.

Summary: The key to my training program is to train hard but not so much so as to kill myself. With adequate rest, even when on such a stringent diet I find I can increase or maintain my strength training as listed above. Rest is an absolute key component and getting plenty of sleep is a requisite for success. I also incorporate some active rest between gym sessions with such activities as waking, kettlebell swings, and weightlifting drills.

Stay tuned to my journal for specific training sessions (to include some videos) and variations in my routine.

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 05:53 AM
Attached you will find my obligatory "before" picture. This is after my first 40lbs of weightloss... weighing exactly -40lbs from the beginning of November.

After my post count passes 10, I'll post a video documenting my physique changes.

Stumprrp
01-18-2007, 05:57 AM
nice to see your on here Josh i know your from Marunde muscle, ill be in here daily and your plan looks ace as hell!

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 06:00 AM
nitor project, day 1 (january 17th 2007)

weight: 338.5lbs (153.8kg)

Up at 5:45, downed my AM supplement pack of ETS, 2 NITOR, 3 fiber caps, and 2 fish oil caps. Still have a bad case of the DOMS from a particularly grueling Monday squat session. By 6:30, I am driving to work and sipping 3 scoops of strawberry nitrean with a tablespoon of Flax Oil. The NITOR is as powerful as everyone says... it's almost like the remote control in the movie Click... everyone except for me is moving in slow motion.

10:15 - Downing 2 scoops of chocolate Nitrean. Without being too graphic, lets just say that Nitor seems to help a ton when "shedding water".

11:30 - Noon supplement pack of Multi-Plus, 2 NITOR, 3 fiber caps, and 2 more fish oil caps.

12:00 - 1oz almonds, 4oz tuna, 1 cup 2% cottage cheese, 7 celery sticks - needed alot of water to choke down the tuna, I am burning out on the stuff. I'll do some beef or lamb tomorrow.

15:00 - 2 scoops of choclate Nitrean (my "at work" tub is chocolate). The 2nd serving of Nitor wasn't nearly as intense as the first, although the sweats I had from this morning are still alive and well... and I'm drinking a ton of water, probably as much as 60-70 ounces so far today.

17:00 - 2 scoops of Vanilla Nitrean, 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds, and an ounce of Planter's Macadamia Mix (almonds, macadamias, cashews)

22:00 - ETS

Total: 1957cals 68g fat (32%) 53g carbs (8%) 295g protein (60%)

ericg
01-18-2007, 06:07 AM
Good luck man, cant wait to see your progress.

Just curious to see if you talked to your Doctors about the diet/supplements/and training that you are doing and how they felt about all the liquids?

Chubrock
01-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Yooo it's Joshua from Marunde-Muscle. What's up man? This is Smith, Andrew btw. Pretty cool to see you posting over here. I've been liking the clean vids lately, just try not to pass out.

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Good luck man, cant wait to see your progress.

Just curious to see if you talked to your Doctors about the diet/supplements/and training that you are doing and how they felt about all the liquids?

Not really, although I do have nagging family members who are nutritionists and nurses that have been harassing me to have my stomach stapled. If you really think about the concept, it isn't that foreign for weightloss - remember Tommy Lasorda's commercials for a certian weightloss product, "A shake for breakfast, another for lunch, and a sensible dinner"? This is just applying ketocyclic principles, frequent feedings, and smart supplementation to the mix. Oh, and superior products. I track everything I eat through fitday, and keep an eye on my nutrients.

Of course, this isn't like other liquid-only diets where the person is completely deprived for 30 days. This diet is much easier to deal with. If I want to eat a solid meal, I'll do it, and just strive to make the best choices. If my family wants to go out to dinner, I'll do that as well, but I'll make sure it falls on one of my refeed days. Truth be told, it's more of a pain to prepare that one solid meal, than to just throw some powder in a shaker and go.

ericg
01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Sounds good man.

Another question, what brought you to shoot for the 2000 calories per day number? At your weight and obvious great amount of lean body mass I would think you would be a bit higher. I dont want this to come across like I am questioning your methods, just curious is all :) Thanks

Oh yeah, this will get you up to the 10post count as well!!

Isaac Wilkins
01-18-2007, 09:25 AM
What's up, man? Good to see you make the move over here from FI.

We'll keep an eye out.

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Sounds good man.

Another question, what brought you to shoot for the 2000 calories per day number? At your weight and obvious great amount of lean body mass I would think you would be a bit higher. I dont want this to come across like I am questioning your methods, just curious is all :) Thanks

Oh yeah, this will get you up to the 10post count as well!!

2000 is about all that I can easily stomach when just doing protein powder. 2000 cals of protein powder is around 3/4 pounds/day... that's alot of freaking protein powder. Granted, on training days I'll bump it up with extra fats, getting me closer to 2200 calories.

I am sure anything under 3000 kcal will get me to lose weight. When staying on top of everything and still not being hungry (with the exception of bedtime), 1900-2200 is about all I can take.

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
By the way, here is a very short (1.5 min) video documenting "Phase 1" of the process. Just to let everyone know, around Christmas I took about 1.5 weeks off to eat whatever I wanted to... in other words, these results are great but far from optimal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQvitVm1B2k

Jordanbcool
01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm impressed man. You're one strong mother ****er!

Anyways. I'm also using Nitor. So far its been beautiful. I've lost a ton of weight with its help.

Good luck on the weight loss!!

Bob
01-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Welcome aboard Joshua.. I've seen you post also on Marunde...

I was looking at your web site.. I'm too on a quest for a 300 lb overhead press.. GL with your goal.

The weightloss is impressive.. betting fit and strong will definitely earn you Strongman success. GL

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I got my 300 overhead press about 2 years ago as I wrote that article... I want 330 now... :strong:

chris mason
01-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Daniel and I are very glad to have Joshua on board and testing Nitor (along with our other products such as Nitrean and Opticen) under such extreme conditions. We know the product is highly effective, but love to have the opportunity to see it perform in the most intense situation we could think of.

Chris

Joshua Davis
01-18-2007, 08:45 PM
nitor project day 2 (jan 18 2007)

Up pretty early, didn't get alot of sleep last night thanks to my water heater exploding about 10pm. Something about walking to the spare bathroom in the middle of the night and stepping into a steaming hot swampy mess of waterlogged used dryersheets and lint to ruin a good night's sleep.

6:00 - AM supplement pack (Nitor, ETS, fishoil, fiber), 2 scoops of Vanilla and 2 scoops of Strawberry Nitrean (strawberries and cream?) with a tablespoon of flax meal and a tablespoon of flax oil. Today, God willing, is a training day and I'll have to push it to just over 2100k cals today to support that.

9:40 - 1oz of mixed nuts, 1 scoop of vanilla nitrean... this is after carrying a new 30 gallon water heater from the back of home depot to my truck. "Sir, can I help you with that?" "NO! THIS IS FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH!" :-)

*sidenote: I think by tomorrow I'll be ready for the full serving of Nitor. Although I am still sweating like a guilty thief at a cop convention, I am nowhere near as on-edge.

12:10 - Noon supplement pack (Nitor, MultiPlus, fishoil, fiber)

13:30 - 6oz ground lamb, 4oz yogurt, 3 slices of tomato

16:30 - 2 scoops strawberry Nitrean

19:30 - 1 scoop vanilla Nitrean

20:30 - Training 1.5 hours:
Got to the gym and worked ridiculous volume on snatches. My form broke down horribly about 1/2 through the session. Like a ****** I kept going, until the gym closed. I felt so confused that I just couldn't "put it together" tonight... it has been several weeks since I snatched, and my wrist is still screwed up from the funky clean last week. Tomorrow I see an ortho for my shoulder, I'll have him look at my wrist as well.

After looking over the volume of training, I can't believe this only took 1.5 hours. Thanks NITOR! :-)

Snatch from blocks (milk crates): 6x3 @ 95lbs

Powersnatch from the floor: 12x3 @ 95lbs, 3x3@115lbs, 3x3@135lbs

OHS (snatch first rep): 2x3@115lbs, 2x2@135lbs

Powersnatch w/straps: miss 195, miss 195, 3x1 @ 195

21:00 - 1 serving Chocolate Opticen Postworkout

22:00 - ETS and I will go to SLEEEEP!

Weighed in at 333lbs at the gym soaked in sweat with clothes on. Rock on!

Diet:
2173kcals 80g fat (34%) 68g carbs (10%) 303g protein (56%)

Sensei
01-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the board Josh. I recognize you from P&B. Glad you're here.

Jeff Roark
01-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey Josh, this is Jeff from the P&B. Interesting log here. After I get finished with my current protein powders I am making the switch to Nitrean. I am not taking in a fraction of powder that you are but from what I can gather noone has nothing bad to say about AtLarge nutritions products. By the way I am gunning hard on the fat loss too so I will bve watching whats going on here with you.

Also what happened to your wrist? how did you hurt it on the cleans? I busted both of mine up hard back in March and its just now really feeling better. I have quit the Olympic Lifts for a few more months until I get my body balanced back out and joints feeling better.

Anyway great log and progress.

Joshua Davis
01-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Hi Jeff!
This is how I hurt my wrist on the cleans... I started to ditch the bar in front of me, but it was too far up on my fingertips and gravity didn't cooperate... so the bar bent my wrist back to my forearm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leJ8wp2VMOw

Joshua Davis
01-21-2007, 06:56 AM
Updates: Refeed

Friday I went to a sports doc who actually works on professional athletes (3 professional wrestlers, more than a dozen baseball players since so many of them live here, etc). I had new xrays that show an arthritic shoulder where the clavicle meets the ball socket. I got a jab of cortisone in the joint and in the bursa. Friday was also a re-feed day for me, so I ate mostly bagels and Opticen, with a large beer, and only 1 1/2 slices of pizza for dinner - this diet definitely shrinks your stomach and makes it uncomfortable to eat those "naughty foods" that we all love so much.

Yesterday, I was a field judge at the Orlando Highland Games. I ended up turning a handful of the the light cabers, demonstrating lifts for the novices, and field coaching all day. Kept all my supplements together, the nitor, multi-plus, and even had an opticen for breakfast. The caterer brought tons of sliced meats and cheeses... I skipped the bread and snacked on turkey and ham rolls throughout the day... but again I could only eat about 4 thin slices of meat and a slice of cheese without being too full to go back on the field. I shared a couple with the athletes at the beer tent, drank a gatorade because of the amount of sweating I did throughout the 9-hour standing/running/lifting day, then made it back home, sore as everything and feeling a cold coming on...

This morning, I weighed in at about 8lbs over my weight friday... 341lbs. As I always do, when coming down with a cold I seem to bloat a little harder than usual because of the amount of liquid I push into my system. I am cutting the NITOR back down to 2 caps at a time so I can also take a decongestant. I had low-carb egg-white huevos rancheros with ham this morning, and in another hour or so I'll put down some Nitrean. When I get sick during a diet, I really have to try very hard to resist saying to myself "I am sick, I should just eat what I want" - especially because strong diet changes seem to already effect me in negative ways.

Jeff Roark
01-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Joshua,

Yeah boy, mine was exactly the same but it was both wrists and both elbows jammed into the top of my knees. The bar was resting right where the fingers meet the hand and I thought I had torn every tendon and ligament in both hands. I honestly though I may be done lifting. Its been tough coming back with me attempting some light lifting here and there but it always results in pain down around my elbows now. I am doing an Iron Addict 2 day per week routine at the time and will be following it for several months until I meet my weight loss goals and then I will add a 3rd day and it will be the Snatch and Clean and Jerk only. I have it already planned to simply follow the old Joe Mills 20/20 routine and slowly, and I mean slowly work my way up from real light weights back into the decent range. this will give me time to regain my form and flexibility without pushing any on thing to fast.

Good luck and you progress is very motivating to me also keep up the good work.

Stumprrp
01-21-2007, 07:47 AM
this is a motavation journal with such hard training and sick diet, keep it up Josh :thumbup:

Joshua Davis
01-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Quick Nitrean Recipe...
"Strawberries and Cream"

1 scoop vanilla, 1 scoop strawberry
5 frozen whole strawberries
20oz cold water
2 tablespoons flax seed meal

Blend it all together and drink it. This was my lunch today.

Stumprrp
01-21-2007, 09:45 AM
sounds delish

Joshua Davis
01-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Here is the latest progress pic, just traps, shoulders, in beautiful "myspace" fashion, taken from the shelf in my laundry room medicine cabinet.

I got some vids from Thursday's snatch session, here, but because of the volume the form is pathetic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGixaF2sFB8

Chubrock
01-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Weight seems to still be coming off. Nice job man.

Joshua Davis
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Nitor Project Day 5

Joshua Davis

This past week was fairly rough, life really jumped in the way of lifting and eating; thanks to my diet regimen (and especially Nitrean), I was able to maintain my diet like a good boy should, keeping my macronutrient ratios near the 55/35/10 (pro/fats/carbohydrates) range, while maintaining sub-2200 calories/day.

Thursday’s training was my first Nitor experience in the gym. I can tell you now, this stuff is very intense. There are a few things that everyone should know about this product; you need to bring a towel, and you will work past capacity that you didn’t think you had. I found myself sweating more and hitting harder volume than I ever could before, and still ended the evening matching a previous PR in the powersnatch. By the end of the training session, my head was swimming from the fatigue of the session I had just put myself through. As I left the gym, I sipped my Opticen mixed in with a teaspoon of creatine500, and pondered just what I had gotten myself into.

The benefits of Nitor aren’t just in the gym. On Saturday, I was a field judge at the Orlando Highland Games. I spent 9 hours in the sun, dodging thrown weights and chasing caber-tossers – as well as throwing some of the implements myself for “fun”, despite having a shoulder injected full of cortisone just a day prior. I pre-measured my supplements before going, and took them throughout the day. By the time I got home, I realized that I had probably pushed myself well beyond what I normally would have been capable of, yet never would have known it until I went to bed; amazed because it felt so good to lay down.

Today has been a day of resuming the low-carbohydrate portion of the diet, and resting, as my Sundays normally are. Tomorrow I clean and squat, and will pump up my calories from todays 1900-2000 to approximately 2200 with additional fats, to accommodate this training. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for training tomorrow… I plan on hitting cleans and front squats, and if my shoulder feels up for it, maybe even some back squats.

Nitor Project Day 6

Joshua Davis

I was pretty amped about getting into the gym for some cleans and squats tonight, but I am still fairly sick. Having a whole day out on the throwing field Saturday during the onset of a cold put me into a physical state I am not comfortable with for training heavy. Tonight I have some MRI’s done for my shoulder, and I am happy to report that the cortisone is finally kicking in. I’ll take the day off, performing a strong clean and squat session as soon as I am better.

Diet is still the same, no major updates - had my AM supplement pack (ETS, Nitor, Fiber, Fishoil), followed by an ounce of Planter's Macadamia mix (cashews, macadamias, almonds), and 4 scoops of vanilla Nitrean for breakfast. Because of the cold, I am drinking as much water as humanly possible; I have put down about 3 liters of water from waking up until now, about 4pm.

Between breakfast and now, I have also had 3 scoops of Nitrean, 1oz of almonds, my noon supplement pack (Nitor, Fiber, Fishoil, MultiPlus), and a salad with 5oz of grilled turkey, grilled red bell peppers, and mixed greens. My calories as of now are around 1500 with 60% coming from protein, 7% from carbs. I am still on the fence about eating a solid meal tonight, if I do it will be low cal and high protein, like egg whites, ham, and broccoli… otherwise I’ll be mixing another Nitrean up. Either way is fine, in fact mixing a shake would be tons easier right now.

I just wish I could cure this cabin fever from not being able to lift. I know if I do get in that gym and push like I am itching for, I’ll be sick for weeks instead of days. I am going to take a few mg more Zinc than usual, just to help the process along.

Stay tuned…

Joshua Davis
01-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Nitor Project Day 7, Tuesday January 23rd

My re-feed weight dropped overnight from 341lbs (155kg) to 334.5lbs (152kg). This is surprising considering the amount of salt and water I have been taking in to combat this cold, and the lack of sweating from missing last night's training. That being said, I am finally feeling better, and although I still have a small cough, I will train tonight. I expect to report a much more accurate weight tomorrow morning, without the water weight I'm carrying now.

Some extra fats this morning, probably due more to waking up hungry than anything else - after my morning supplement pack (back up to 3 Nitor), I had an ounce (28gm) of Macadamia nuts, chased with 3 scoops of Nitrean and a tablespoon (15mL) of flax oil. Because of this 200-calorie indescrection, I will have to keep more of an eye on my diet for the day (although since I'm planning a training day, I will aim for a 200-300 calorie surplus regardless). I have also been drinking hot decaffinated tea all morning with splenda to soothe my cough.

10:30, downed 2 scoops of Nitrean. More decaf tea...

11:30 took my noon supplement pack and ate close to 2 cups (150gm) of raw broccoli and 8oz (227gm) of salmon. Finished off with 1/2 an ounce (14gm) of almonds (12 or so). Lunch packs in a whopping 440 calories, 60gm of protein, and 17gm of fat.

4:30 2 more scoops of nitrean, and another 1/2 ounce of almonds.

Now I am on my way home, I'll have just a tad of peanut butter, go train, and opticen - then to be done for the day at a grand total of...

2191 cal 90g fat 68g carbs 296g protein

tonight's training log to follow shortly...

Chubrock
01-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Jesus bro. You go into some crazy ass detail in here.

Joshua Davis
01-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Powerclean + Front Squats 1/23

Reverse ladders on everything tonight, 1 rep, 2 rep, 3 rep

Pclean + Front Squats from blocks: 1,2,3@95lbs, 1,2,3@135lbs, 1,2,3@185lbs (3rd set from floor), from floor: 1,2,3@235lbs

Lots of work on form after, full cleans and cleans from blocks - didn't keep track of reps or sets, just stayed busy...

Vid of the powercleans and squats here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us_HX9SMpgg

Joshua Davis
01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Jesus bro. You go into some crazy ass detail in here.

The secret to my success is to be as anal-retentive as possible. That includes knowing what foods effect me in what ways... even emotionally. For example, cream of mushroom soup makes me hug myself and cry "no, uncle, no, NO, NO!". I remember that from a food log I kept 18 years ago...

ericg
01-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Great job fighting through the cold bro. Nice workout too! Love the details!

Joshua Davis
01-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Nitor Project Day 8: January 24th 2007

As of this morning, I weigh 329.5lbs (149.5kg). This breaches the 50-pounds lost mark, and signals my first 10 pounds lost while following the Nitor project… within 7 days.

Last night’s training was good, although my strength and endurance took a hit from the cold I am fighting. I mostly worked on powercleans, front squats, and some form work on squat cleans. I also attempted some PR singles in the full clean, to no avail…

Today’s diet is slightly modified, as I really just can’t handle any more fish right now. I have eaten a lunch of 8oz of spiced lamb, with yogurt and tomatoes... it was great trying to explain to the older Greek man that I didn’t want the pita bread, he looked at me like I was from Mars. Breakfast was 4 scoops of Nitrean, (2 strawberry and 2 vanilla) with a tablespoon flax oil. Otherwise, my supplement “packs” have been as normal, although I did take my noon pack a bit later than usual at 12:40…I hope I am able to sleep tonight.

I have more training to do this evening, going to deadlift, but I will be easing either the volume or the weight, depending on how I feel. Tomorrow I take a day off from training as usual, and Friday I start my re-feed all over again. By this time next week I expect to weigh in somewhere in the low 320’s… an optimistic outcome would be even lighter, touching the 3-teens in bodyweight… I no longer get surprised when I end up lighter than expected.

Chubrock
01-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Nice job bro. I lost 80lbs back before I started training. You're dropping weight crazy fast. I like. Any idea what you want to get down to?

Joshua Davis
01-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Chubrock: I actually was over 425lbs before I started training (see the attached file)... lost alot of that weight, but gained it back when my son was born (I was still eating as if I was training, but wasn't training).

I want to see myself get down to 285-290-ish on this project, maybe lower, then I'll go on a short strength-building eating/training template for 6 weeks, trying to find that medium where I stay strong without fluctuating in weight. I am betting that with my frame, I'll hold 295-315 pretty well.

Joshua Davis
01-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Deadlifts 1-24-07

Worked light tonight - wanted to get in some medium work without a belt.

Deadlifts: 2x5@245lbs, 2x5@335lbs, 2x5@385lbs, 3x3@425lbs, added belt: 3 singles@515lbs

Snatches: 15 singles @ 95lbs (more form work)

I'll be uploading the vid shortly, it's just some of the work sets on the deads, battery died...

Chubrock
01-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Damn Joshua, stellar performance. That before picture is crazy.

Stumprrp
01-24-2007, 07:58 PM
awesome this journal is nuts

ericg
01-25-2007, 06:00 AM
Nice DLn. That pic is great. You have come a long way.

Joshua Davis
01-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Short journal...

supps as normal, breakie was 4 scoops of vanilla nitrean with flax seeds, snacks were assorted nuts (peanuts and almonds), lunch of 8oz cottage cheese, 5oz chicken, celery. Already topping the scales with 230+ gm of protein for the day while under 1500 cals.

Really, really, REALLY looking forward to refeed tomorrow.

Joshua Davis
01-25-2007, 11:46 AM
BTW - goals to set and meet:

Feb 15: 320lbs or less (at current schedule, this may well be in the 310-315 range)

Mar 22 (end of project nitor): goal weight of sub-300lbs

Past this point, my shoulder will determine where my lifting career goes. If I get everything fixed, then I will start a strength-building template with my faster, leaner self. If I need surgery or haven't had it done yet, I will probably lean up further - I like being big for my lifts and strength, but if I can't be as strong as other SHW's because of my shoulder, why stay so big?

ericg
01-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Plan sounds great for sure. Good luck!

Joshua Davis
01-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Ok, calories a bit higher than I really wanted for a resting day... but not too bad or off the mark. Protein overkill too...

2245cals 83g fat (34%) 67g carbs (9%) 319g protein (58%)

I was already at around 2k calories when I left for work... so I had my 260 calorie low-carb huevos rancheros for dinner. I'll have to post it in the recipe forum someday soon, it's pretty good.

Joshua Davis
01-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Last night's deadlift vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SFVTJKIHlI

Chubrock
01-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Hell yea man. What were you pulling last night?

Joshua Davis
01-26-2007, 04:16 AM
Hell yea man. What were you pulling last night?

The journal entry is up there somewhere for the 24th... those were my work sets, 425lbs without a belt and 515lbs.

Joshua Davis
01-26-2007, 06:15 AM
And so it begins...

Weigh-in at 328lbs.

Refeed starts today, and tonight I am training with a USAW coach to finally spend some quality time learning to clean properly.

All in all, I have alot in store for this weekend. Tonight is Olympic Lifting, Tomorrow morning is strongman training, and Sunday I'll be taking the wife and kid to a theme park.

Joshua Davis
01-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Little workout while at my desk at work. I love my job, and it shows... (see the attachment)

chris mason
01-26-2007, 04:23 PM
And so it begins...

Weigh-in at 328lbs.

Refeed starts today, and tonight I am training with a USAW coach to finally spend some quality time learning to clean properly.

All in all, I have alot in store for this weekend. Tonight is Olympic Lifting, Tomorrow morning is strongman training, and Sunday I'll be taking the wife and kid to a theme park.

Sounds good! Enjoy the weekend!

Sidior
01-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Really cool to see athletes like you starting to post on this board. Good luck with your goals bro.

Joshua Davis
01-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Cleans 1/26

First time working with an experienced lifter, Chris LeRoux. I learned one thing, I am definately throwing too much mind at the weight, and not enough body. I need to stop thinking about the minor form tweaks and just get more bar time.

Squat Cleans: doubles and triples up to 90kg, two very close 110kg attempts, back down to 80 then 60kg for form work.

Snatches: Singles at 40kg

Clean pulls (in sneakers): couple pulls @ 110 and 120kg just messing around.

I'll have a video of some of the cleans, I really didn't get time to tape more than a couple doubles. I left my camera USB cable at work though.

Decent
01-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Little workout while at my desk at work. I love my job, and it shows... (see the attachment)
LOL

Good stuff...
Have you noticed any loss in strenth while losing the weight?

Joshua Davis
01-27-2007, 12:16 PM
LOL

Good stuff...
Have you noticed any loss in strenth while losing the weight?

Depends on your definition of "strength". 1rm stuff? Maybe a little, although my deadlift has never been stronger. On the other hand, my explosiveness on the quick lifts has went through the roof. My work capacity is through the roof as well, I can train longer and harder in the gym, I don't have to take 5 minutes between sets in training anymore.

Joshua Davis
01-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Strongman Saturday 1/27

Cleans and Powersnatches to warmup: 135lbs

Tireflip: 3x5@700lbs, 2x2@1100lbs

Atlas Stones (no tacky): 3 singles @ 255lbs, lapped 290 (grrr), 2x3@225lbs

Joshua Davis
01-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Here's a brief video of the weekends shenanigans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJYoLaibInM

Joshua Davis
01-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Short update - full scale update will be tomorrow after I have a decent squat/clean session under my belt for this week.

1. Friday I spent alot of time with a very experienced olympic weightlifter. I learned quite a few things about the clean. I will be applying them tonight in my training.

2. Saturday was a very short training day, looking back I know I could have done much more.

3. As of this morning, my supplement packs will have double the dosage of fish oil, basically going from 4gm/day to 8gm/day, 2 grams at breakfast and noon, respectively. The benefits are too good to ignore, and I have been burning out on fatty fish lately in lieu of chicken and beef.

4. The re-feed did not result in nearly as much weight gain as it did last week. I only gained 5lbs (up to 333lbs from 328lbs) of bloat by eating, drinking, and making merry on Friday and Saturday. Last week I gained over 8lbs after re-feed. I attribute this to last week being my first full week exclusively on ALN products, having a much tighter control of my macros (being able to drop calories and bump protein, essentially). I also kept my supplements up over the weekend... lets just say that Nitor + Carbups = INSANE amounts of energy.

Chubrock
01-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Looked like ya'll had quite a crowd there training. Awesome stuff man. I'm jealous. I've been trying to get up with Larry Brock because he knows a cop down this way who trains a good bit. Haven't been able to get up with him though.

WBBIRL
01-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Crazy stuff in here big man! Im so envious of you, I'd love to train strongman like that.

chris mason
01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Awesome! I cannot wait until you are 300 lbs or less!

Joshua Davis
01-29-2007, 09:25 PM
RAWR!!! Insane night of training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9DPWZTj09Y

Watch this video or die...

Squat cleans up to 200lbs, clean pulls up to 380lbs, squats up to 445lbs, and some leg extensions (not on the vid cause that's lame). Took me 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Diet totals for the day:
2073cals 69g fats 74g carbs 295g protein

Con
01-29-2007, 09:46 PM
I wanted to watch the vid but lately youtube hasnt been lettin me load movies or something.

You have any idea?

Joshua Davis
01-29-2007, 09:56 PM
no clue man... I'll upload it to my server and repost it, it's 5 minutes long so I can't upload it to the forum...

Joshua Davis
01-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Click here to watch Cleans-and-Squats-Jan-29th-2007 (http://media.putfile.com/Cleans-and-Squats-Jan-29th-2007)

This one is on putfile, but it's still flash based, you may be out of luck homey...

Con
01-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Yes! First vid ive watched in a while!

I think it mighta been becuase it loaded into Windows media player tho.

Whats the diff between youtube and putfile?

Spourk
01-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Nice work man. I know that song just cant put my finger on the name. Mind refreshing my memory?

Joshua Davis
01-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Lip Gloss and Black by Atreyu on the Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses album.

The lyrics "Aren't you tired of being weak? Such rage that you could scream all the stars right out of the sky" could be considered relevant.

Joshua Davis
01-30-2007, 07:22 AM
The Nitor Project: Day 14
1/30/2007

Eating

It’s no longer a chore, it’s simply become lifestyle, second nature – wake up, eat right, train hard, sleep well, succeed. Last week was my first full week solely utilizing the diet plan that I outlined to At Large Nutrition, and when I commenced my re-feed on Friday and Saturday, I noticed a few things that I had never experienced prior on similar diets with other products.

First, Nitor really cures the sluggish feeling normally experienced on the first day of re-feeding carbs. I had plenty of energy throughout the re-feed. The extra energy expenditure, however; helped me get to sleep at night... normally I would stay up late my first day back because of the additional carbs. ETS has been a fantastic supplement for someone like me, DOMS are horrible for most people when in a calorie-depleted state… but not for me, I just go back into the gym and train harder.

Second, I did not retain anywhere near as much water as I usually do during this process. I weighed in Friday morning at 328lbs, and yesterday morning only a 5lb increase. Last week’s re-feed netted me over 8lbs of water gain. I attribute this to my increased energy levels through the re-feed with the Nitor, and the amount of control I have over my diet by getting the bulk of my protein calories from Nitrean instead of other products with excessive fat and carbohydrate calories. As of this morning, I am already lighter than I was Friday morning by half a pound.

Third, I didn’t “dread” going back on my diet! This is relative to my opening statement, the moment your “diet” ceases to be, and becomes a “lifestyle”, this is when you begin to see true success… when routine becomes habit. It sure helps that Nitrean tastes pretty good too.

Finally, I looked over my Fitday summary just checking a few things. Since I have switched over to using Nitrean, almost all of my fats have been supplemental. This means that my fat intake has moved from mostly saturated fats to monounsaturated fats like those in fish oil, nuts, and flax seeds/oil. You don’t need to be a rocket surgeon to discover just how good this is, health-wise. I checked my previous journals, and on most days, saturated fats made up over half of my daily intake, with monounsaturated fats only making up about a quarter – now those ratios are reversed.

Yesterday, my diet was spot-on. I have doubled my fish oil capsules just because they are good for me and I have some wiggle room to improve my fat intake. Breakfast was Nitrean, with another scoop mid-morning; lunch was some baked chicken breast, cottage cheese, celery, and almonds. Mid-afternoon I had a couple more scoops of Nitrean… and on the way home I finished off another ½ cup of cottage cheese. About an hour before training I ate a spoon of peanut butter, post-workout I had one serving of Opticen with Creatine 500. Finally, just before bed, about 40 minutes after I took my ETS, I had one more scoop of Strawberry Nitrean just to get some extra post-workout/pre-sleep protein in. All-in-all I got just over 2100 calories yesterday, 60% coming from protein in about 320 grams.

Training

Friday night, I met up with some local competitive weightlifters and had them pick apart my form. They both would like to see me compete at a state level; at least I believed them when they said I had potential. I am still not putting up anything to brag about in either the clean or the snatch, but the movements are feeling less unnatural to me now; my explosiveness and flexibility are improving rapidly.

This newfound explosiveness shined through on “Strongman Saturday”, when I flipped “Papa Bear”, our beloved and hated 1100lb loader tire, for several reps faster than I had ever moved it before. I also ploughed through warmup sets of five with our 700-odd “Mama Bear” tire and did quite a bit of Atlas and Husefel stone lifting, in between coaching some of our newer additions to Team Florida.

Finally, last night (Monday night)I had one of those training sessions that just make your week. I have been hammering form on squat cleans for quite some time, and I felt like I was really in a groove while I pushed them. I moved onto some pretty heavy clean pulls, and finished the night off with my first set of relatively heavy back squats… working just shy of 500lbs with a close stance and high bar… and did not feel any major distress in my shoulder (I initially injured it squatting). Today I feel great, almost as if I didn’t even train last night (except for a little soreness in my traps from training cleans and pulls).

ericg
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Awesome stuff Josh. You are kicking ass for sure.

Spourk
01-30-2007, 11:24 AM
ahh yeah i knew it i was just listening to Atreyu - The crimson :) ty sir

chris mason
01-31-2007, 07:35 PM
The video was awesome Joshua!

I just got done reading your latest update and that was quite excellent as well!

HeavyBomber
01-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Really cool to see athletes like you starting to post on this board. Good luck with your goals bro.

No doubt. Awesome lifting.

Joshua Davis
01-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Deadlifts and accessory 1/31/07

Ho hum workout tonight. No pulling power since hammering clean pulls so hard monday...

Deadlifts (hookgrip) triples: 245, 335, 385, 425 (straps) 475, singles: 3@515, triples dropset at 475, then 425

Seated low row: 5@200, 5@230, 5@300, 2x3@495 (full stack+95lb dumbbell on top)

Lots of biceps work after this, hammer curls up to 75lbs, then some EZbars around 180 or so (guessing 30lb bar, 3/side 25's)... I am weak as heck on these, but need to start working my biceps because my stone loading is suffering from weak biceps.

WBBIRL
01-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Dude your a mountain of a man and that strength is insane. I know we flipped tires during summer football training in highschool but I can bet my bottom dollar that it didn't weight even CLOSE to 1100 pounds.

This journal is quickly becoming one of my favorites!

Joshua Davis
01-31-2007, 08:57 PM
thanks dude... at 5'10" and 280 you sound pretty mountianlike yourself.

My diet was off today because I had a craving for raw carrots at lunch... carbs up to 13% and fats were WAAAAY too low... I could have skipped the Opticen PWO, but I am sticking to the plan, carbs are better postworkout.

2178 cals 67 g fat (28%) 88 g carbs (13%) 316g protein (59%)

Joshua Davis
02-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Weigh-in at 325.5 this morning. Bumping up my protein today because some asshat brought doughnuts, and the smell is making me hungry (communal desk where snacks are stored is right by my desk). These aren't typical krusty dunkin creme nuts, these are from a local Cuban bakery.

Re-feed is tomorrow, re-feed is tomorrow, re-feed is tomorrow

Joshua Davis
02-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Today's diet totals
2004 calories 65g fat (29%) 61g carbs (9%) 303g protein (62%)

Considering changing up my training a bit. I am hooked on improving my cleans, and am wondering if pushing the classic lifts with heavier days of base lifts (squat/press/dead).

WBBIRL
02-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Diets looking spot on, about how I should be eating cept I get way too many carbs and not enough proteins.

I suck at cleans however lol and can't help you there. When I clean its like im doing a vertical row + a reverse curl and the last time I did em was like 2 days ago working up to a decently solid 225 max. Which I thinks horrible.

Joshua Davis
02-02-2007, 04:58 AM
Weight in at 324.5lbs this morning, about 4lbs lost since last enterance into re-feed. 4lbs/week is pretty consistent, and since I compare results every friday morning before starting re-feed, there is no water weight to contend with... 4lbs of *real* weightloss, not water, but fat.

Joshua Davis
02-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Clean and Jerk 2-2-07

Clean + Jerks (singles only): 2@135lbs, 2@155lbs, 4@185lbs, 2@205lbs, miss on clean 215lbs

Dropped bar weight after the miss for cleans: 185lbs, 205lbs

Resumed Clean + Jerks: 2@215lbs

BN-jerks: 3@185lbs, 2@205lbs, miss 275lbs, 2@235lbs, 1@255lbs, 1@275lbs, miss 285lbs

Joshua Davis
02-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Notes on training - I am getting to a point where the cleans feel much more effiecent, i.e. they don't take as much out of me... that being said, I am still dealing with numbers I could EASILY powerclean... but I won't... because I know that I'll demolish my previous numbers if I take the time to really learn the full clean. Now if I can just learn to stay off my toes in the bottom of the clean.

Here is the vid from today (the workout above).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixc3DIZgMjY

Stumprrp
02-02-2007, 10:45 PM
josh this is really inspiring man, 4 lbs a week of fat is NUTS dude, how are you feeling etc? nice lifting

Joshua Davis
02-03-2007, 07:45 AM
josh this is really inspiring man, 4 lbs a week of fat is NUTS dude, how are you feeling etc? nice lifting

I'm feeling great. In fact, 4lbs is kinda light, I may actually skip the re-feed next week.

Stumprrp
02-03-2007, 08:14 AM
damn thats just nuts lol

Joshua Davis
02-03-2007, 02:38 PM
strongman saturday 2/3/07

It was raining off an on during our session. Wet stones are no fun... but since I am a crappy stone loader I did what I could.

Arm-over-arm tire drag 50ft runs: 2x210lbs, 1x260lbs (the tire made the pull easier but the grip harder)

Stones (no tacky): 1@225lbs, 3x4@225lbs, 1x3@225lbs

Tireflip: 1x5@700lbs

WBBIRL
02-03-2007, 04:00 PM
You meant 324 right? Either way thats great progress. I feel 10x better and I went from over 315 to 270 right now and feel fantastic and imagine that as I lose the next 45-50 I'll feel even better.

I imagine the reduced fat allows you to perform/move a lot better as far as flexibility goes and that sort of thing and it will allow you to pack more muscle on to your frame.

Re read your first post again, so yea conditioning and flexibility are probably way increased.

Joshua Davis
02-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Fixed... yeah 224 would make me a 1-legged skeleton with the size of my frame.

Joshua Davis
02-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Gained 6lbs from refeed over the weekend. Tried to eat some egg whites for breakfast this morning, but just couldn't stomach them - so I made a shake instead, with a cup of cottage cheese and flax seeds.

Joshua Davis
02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
skipping training tonight, will probably train tomorrow though. I have been building a gym in my utility room. While moving stuff into it tonight, I dropped a 20kg iron plate on my ring toe (wearing sandals like a idiot) and busted the nail off, since tonight is squat night and I was already tired from the other work, I figged I could get in a decent session tomorrow, sans tears.

Diet total: 1825cals 61g fat(31%) 56g carbs (8%) 268g protein (61%)

When my gym is complete, updates will be in kg pretty much consistently. All my iron is kilo and my soon-to-arrive bumpers are as well.

chris mason
02-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the toe Joshua!

Keep up the good work.

Joshua Davis
02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Diet total: 1953cals 74g fat (35%) 59g carbs (9%) 271g pro (56%)

Don't think the toe is broken, but the nail is blackened and peeling back. I'm back training tomorrow.

Optimum08
02-06-2007, 11:27 PM
just proceeded to read the entire journey, instead of doing my homework. thanks a lot joshua, thanks a lot. haha. but seriously some good stuff man, keep it up.

what is your opinion on the strawberry nitrean versus chocolate nitrean? i have chocolate as my stalwart, but i have a tub of strawberry waiting in the wings.

Joshua Davis
02-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I like chocolate and vanilla nitrean better than strawberry on it's own - vanilla mixed with strawberry 50/50 is great though.

WBBIRL
02-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Sucks about the toe big man, lets hope it doesn't slow you down any

Joshua Davis
02-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Cleans/Snatches 2/7/07

Cleans (doubles): 135lbs, 155lbs, 185lbs, 205lbs
(singles) miss 220, hit 220, miss 220, drop to 185, 155, 205, miss 220

Snatches (triples): 3 sets of 95lbs, couple of them powersnatches

Nautilus Super Pullover: 10@90lbs, 10@170lbs, 8@200lbs

Nautilus 4-way neck, 10 each side and back

Joshua Davis
02-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Going to re-tool the diet, just temporarily. I haven't lost a single pound in 1 week (although I have gotten more compliments for "looking thin"). So far I have consumed about 1/2 the calories that I normally would by this time.

Unsure if my body has adjusted after a few months of following a similar regimen, or if my smaller body needs less calories to be in deficeit, but I am considering skipping or shortening my refeed for this weekend and lowering my calories for the remainder of this "phase" of the Nitor project (2 weeks from today).

ericg
02-08-2007, 08:32 AM
What are you cutting the cals down to?

I still have a hard time imagining someone with as much muscle mass as you needing such a low amount of cals to lose fat. you ever think of bumping it up a bit for a few weeks? maybe push to 3000cals and then drop back down?

Joshua Davis
02-08-2007, 10:15 AM
What are you cutting the cals down to?

I still have a hard time imagining someone with as much muscle mass as you needing such a low amount of cals to lose fat. you ever think of bumping it up a bit for a few weeks? maybe push to 3000cals and then drop back down?

My refeeds are normally in the high 3k's, with very high carbs. That's two days a week, so it isn't like I am on a constant fast.

However, I think I have recognized the culprit. I have been getting over a pretty miserable cold... I got off easy, the wife and kid ended up with upper respitory infections... but I have been drinking 15mL of NyQuil every night.

I didn't know that NQ's base ingredient was high fructose corn syrup - I have been drinking the equivilent of a large soda's worth of sugar every night before bed!

ericg
02-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Good deal. I forgot about the refeeds. Damn NyQuil!

Joshua Davis
02-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Decision has been made. Calories are coming down to sub 2k, around 1.7 to 1.9 on training days... this isn't very drastic but I feel it's enough... However, I am not skipping my refeed this weekend, just keeping a better eye on it, and nixing the NyQuil. It would make sense that since I am 55lbs less, that I should probably be eating just a bit less than I did when I started.

This time next week I'll have better results. That being said I am pissed that 3-4 nights of NyQuil sabotaged a whole week of otherwise spot-on dieting... I would have rather had a bowl of pasta or a beer or something.

Today's total (including the post workout scoop of nitrean I haven't had yet)
1874cals 51g fat 42g carbs 315g protein (68%)

I will have eaten 11 30g scoops of Nitrean today, a dinner of 7oz broiled skinless chicken with peppers and onions (on skewers) with 2/3rds of a cup of 2% cottage cheese, a single ounce of cheddar, and about an ounce of almonds total.

Workout is going to be light tonight, I am training at home with iron plates, probably going to do very light powercleans and some rotator cuff work.

Update on weight, diet, and future re-feed tomorrow.

Joshua Davis
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM
powercleans, light squats, front squats 2/8/07

Training in the new home gym, that which I will christen "The Training Hall *Closet* Of Champions". Did some power and squat cleans with an old exercise bar and iron plates. Weightlifting is hard as hell with those old thick cheapie bars.

Powerclean, hang squat clean, jerk complex: 9 singles @ 60kg, 9 singles @80kg, 2 singles @ 90kg

Squat clean: 2x2 @ 90kg, 1@95kg (ended up more a powerclean squatted down)

Squat: 3@60, 4x3@100, 110, 120, 140, 2@150

Front Squat (from the rack): 3@100, 2@110, 2@120, miss 140kg

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 07:42 PM
solid lifting and diet josh, loving all the oly stuff.

Joshua Davis
02-09-2007, 04:24 AM
Musta been the Nyquil

Weighed in at 323 this morning, 1lb loss overnight w/out the heaping cup of sugar in Green Death flavor.

Training was nice last night, except for the crappy bar and lack of bumpers. After my wife heard the commotion of me dropping a front squat, she decided to OK me getting some bumpers... they will be here Tuesday or so :-).

I will be re-feeding carbs today, but I am going to cut them short, basically 1 carbup meal after training tomorrow; then I proceed with going back on the diet...

Joshua Davis
02-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Log + RC work 2/9/07

I haven't trained log since before OSM. I really stink at it now, but since my shoulder problems is just simple arthritis, it's time to start training again.

Log C+PP/C+PJ: Warmup: 5@30kg, 8@50kg, 5@70kg, 5@90kg, 2x1@100kg, miss 110kg, 2x5@80kg, 2x5@50kg

Rotator Cuff work: Broomhandle dislocates, shoulder horn RC curls, inverted-grip face pulls (awesome RC movement), beercan lat raises (hold a light dumbell like a beercan from the "bell", thumbs down... raise to the front, side, and rear)

muscle chic
02-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Can't wait to see the final results!! Good Luck!!

Joshua Davis
02-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Cleans, BN-Jerks, Front squats 2-10-07

BREAKTHROUGH! I cleaned 110 today as if it were 40. I will have to continue to work on form, but I think I have figured out just what to do... basically, to prove a point to a training partner, I powercleaned 110; it felt so easy, my 2nd rep I decided to dip deeper under - and stuck it. Also stuck some pretty nice BNJ's and frontsies. Awesome session, but very long (2-3 hours)

Cleans: Singles up to 100kg, 1 PC @ 110, 1 SC @ 110 (both done during BNJ's later in session)

Snatch+OHS: 3@40kg, 2x3@50kg (I have to train these harder, my bottom stability sucks eggs)

BN Jerks: 3@70, 3@90, 2@100, 2@110, 2@115, 1@125, 1@130kg

Front Squats: 3@90kg, 3@100kg, 3@110kg, 3@120kg, 3@130kg, 2@135kg 1@140kg

Joshua Davis
02-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Couple pics from the past couple days...

unracking 140kg front squat

front squatting in the new gym

teaching my boy to chinup while building the gym...

Optimum08
02-10-2007, 07:55 PM
that last picture is priceless. good stuff joshua. keep up the good work.

Joshua Davis
02-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Diet totals for the day:1792cals 65g fat 21g carbs 224g protein

Cals are high because I had a rum and diet coke. Chased around a 2-year old all day and did about 30 minutes of rotator cuff work in the gym.

Joshua Davis
02-12-2007, 06:39 AM
The Nitor Project - Day 26

I am now in the last week of "Phase 1" of the Nitor Project, and will be resuming on February 26. I lost over 4lbs overnight, weighing in at 331 last night and 325.5 this morning. At the pace I have set, it looks like my goal of a total 20lb/30 day loss (from the Project start) will be attained by the 16th.

Because of a little setback last week (sugar content of a very popular nighttime cold medicine), I did fall a bit behind... but because of the effectiveness of the diet, even an entire week of stalled progress won't hold me back from my goals. This is reassuring, as next week will be a time of feasting and strength building to "prime the pump" for Phase 2.

30 days of dieting without the obligatory "hell" comment... I believe that I have At Large Nutrition's products to thank for that. I also firmly believe that a diet plan built around a person's strengths and weaknesses is much more effective than something made for someone else, for example, my re-feed process could be considered excessive... but by giving myself two days to eat practically whatever I wanted, I allowed a reward for following a comparitively extreme regimen on the remaining 5 days. Would a more stringent diet be more effective? Possibly. Would I have followed a more stringent diet for several months? Probably not.

Stay tuned for a pretty in-depth series of updates this week. Now that I have finished building the home gym, I will be training pretty much every day. Diet will be covered as well, and my 1-month before/after pictures will be ready by Thursday evening.

WBBIRL
02-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Yea man, a slower paced diet that you will stick to is a million times more effective then a stricter one that you'll quit in a week or two.

If you do things right 80% of the time the other 20% won't matter and stuff like that.

Joshua Davis
02-12-2007, 09:04 PM
overhead squats and snatches 2/12/07

Overhead Squats: 3x3@95lbs/43kg, 3x3@105lbs/48kg, 3x3@135lbs/61kg, 3x3@145lbs/66kg

Snatch+Front Squat (singles): 3@95lbs/43kg, 3@105lbs/48kg, 2@145lbs/66kg

Quite a bit of technique work from the hang @ 95lbs/43kg

Benchpress: 5@45lbs/20kg, 105lbs/48kg, 135lbs/61kg, 185lbs/84kg, 225lbs/102kg (would have went higher, but my shoulder wasn't having it...)

Video will be up shortly...

Joshua Davis
02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK45NsPCy64

Video as promised...

Diet totals for the day...
1894 cals 74g fats 60g carbs 260g protein

Joshua Davis
02-13-2007, 07:25 PM
hang powercleans and technique 2/13

Did powercleans from the hang with no dip, mostly because I have no bumpers and didn't want to bail the bar. Bumpers will be here soon though. This was purposely very light work tonight, my shoulder is still plenty wrecked from last night, but mostly my tues/thurs workouts are going to be mainly technique stuff from now on...

Powercleans from high hang: 1x5@40, 1x5@60, 1x5@80, 1x5@90, 1x5@100

Squat Cleans: 3x3@60kg, 1x3@80kg

Diet totals for the day: 1747cals 62g fat (33%) 45g carbs (6%) 263g (61%) protein

Joshua Davis
02-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Cleans and Frontsies 2-14-07 (Nitor Project Day 28)

First experiment with a Mills-type 20-rep clean program, as a feeler for future workouts (and my first taste was incredibly positive). Oh yeah, and I hit my previous clean PR, this time with IRON plates... real men do it without rubbers!

Squat Cleans (Using Mills 20-reps progression):
5 singles @ 60kg, 70kg, 75kg
Singles @ 80kg, 90kg, 95kg, 100kg, 105kg, 110kg, miss 115kg

Front Squats:
Doubles @ 120kg, 130kg, 1@140kg

Video up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCZEB2RXm5M

Diet totals for today: 1885cals 65g fat (31%) 50g carbs (7%) 285g protein (61%)

Joshua Davis
02-15-2007, 04:17 AM
Last day of Phase One...
Weighed in at...

320 baybee!

Spourk
02-15-2007, 04:37 AM
Nice work big guy, Keep it up!i bet your feeling 100% better already

Joshua Davis
02-15-2007, 10:24 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s205/StrongmanJoshua/phase1copy.jpg

Joshua Davis
02-19-2007, 07:04 AM
During this week, and this week only, I'll be experimenting with more of a DiPasquale/Berardi type diet of high protein and fat. I tried just "eating like an American" over the weekend and the result was feeling like crap... I just can't do that for more than 2-3 days. The Nitor Project will be resumed 1 week from today. Lets see if this diet template keeps me in a good maintenance window.

So far this morning I have scarfed down 1500 calories, in the form of Opticen with Nitrean thrown in, whole organic eggs, turkey, almonds, and cheese. I have another shoulder doc appointment today to discuss the surgery I will have soon (arthritic scoping, no biggie), and a job interview this afternoon.

My goal is to eat enough to start filling out a little muscularly, but gain less than 3-5 pounds in the process. I figure if I start eating big again, but continue to train daily, I'll pull this off fairly easily. My target daily cals are somewhere in the neck of 3600-3800 with at least 50% coming from protein, 35-40% from fat (eggs, nuts, meats). To get my protein where I want it, I'll be throwing down a good deal of Nitrean.

P.S. buying new clothes off the rack was a new one for me, I got to do that yesterday.

Joshua Davis
02-19-2007, 07:15 PM
2/19 cleans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlNbGzrbfiI

Not so good, but I am happy with the workload I put in, because my back and shoulders really felt like crap. I worked really hard on arching in the 1st pull, which didn't work very well (I just ended up with a flat back, not arched), but I'll continue to work on my flexibility.

Cleans:
Warmup: 2x3@60
Workset (singles) 5@80kg, 5@85kg (got a real doozy of an over-rotation of my wrist on rep 3 of 85kg), 5@90, 2@100kg

Front Squats:
1x3@110kg
1x1@120kg
miss 140kg

Back Squats:
2x3@140kg, 1x2@160kg

diet totals for today:3125 cals 142g fat 92g carbs 360g protein

Chubrock
02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Just for your info Joshua, I've had my best results with a high protein and fat diet. I think you'll see some good things.

Joshua Davis
02-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Update:

I have maintained my weight of approximately 320 by following a high protein/high fat/low carb diet, with daily calories running in the mid 3000 range.

Resuming the project has been pushed back, due to shoulder surgery (collarbone scoping) on March 1st. By the following week, I'll be back... the resulting muscle hypertrophy from resting and eating well should build a strong foundation for the last phase of the project.

Cleans/Pulls/Skwats 2/23/07
Tonight was my last pre-op workout. I hit cleans, clean pulls, and back squats.

Cleans: 3@60kg, 3@80kg, 3@90kg, 1@100kg, 1@105kg, 2@80kg, 1@90kg, 1@95kg, 1@100kg, 1@105kg, 3 singles @ 110kg, 3 singles @ 100kg (every drop in weight was a result of missing an attempt)

Clean pulls: 5@110kg, 130kg, 140kg

Squats: 3@120kg, 2@150kg, 1@180kg

Joshua Davis
03-02-2007, 03:38 AM
Sorry about the lapse in updates folks. I had to take an extended leave from the project due to a shoulder surgery that I honestly needed to have done. Amazingly enough, I had the surgery performed on Wednesday (they had to reschedule me a day earlier), and today on Friday I am already rearing to get back on the project, which I anticipate will be on Monday.

The training will have to be changed up for the first few weeks as I regain mobility in my newly scoped shoulder. I plan on utilizing kettlebells and dumbbells as well as calisthenics to shed my initial water weight gained over the course of this last two weeks.

Here are a handful of pictures, one of which is about 5 hours post-op, very high on vicodin and anesthesia. The others are from last night, when we removed the shoulder pad bandage to show the entry points of the surgery.

Behemoth
03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
looking leaner man. I skimmed through... Dear God, 1700kcal at 300+ lbs??????

How far below maintnence is that? That's like the equivalent of me at 190lbs dieting on 950kcal....

WBBIRL
03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Some of us have crazy slow metabolisms. HB, while carrying a good deal more LBM then me, probably can lose weight on twice the calories I maintain on.

I maintained at probably 3000-3500 at 320 pounds, so I know the hell that it is. Your doing great man, keep it up.

Joshua Davis
03-05-2007, 09:18 PM
looking leaner man. I skimmed through... Dear God, 1700kcal at 300+ lbs??????

How far below maintnence is that? That's like the equivalent of me at 190lbs dieting on 950kcal....
That was really a "play catchup" process where I experimented with extreme deficit.

I would gather since my weight holds steady between 2800 and 3400 calories at my current bw (325lbs), then I am assuming that's about 1/2 maintenance for me.

Joshua Davis
03-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Nitor Project Phase 2, Day 1 (officially day 31 not counting two week hiatus)

Surgery caused an extra week's delay, I had an acromioplasty (shoulder scoping) to relieve shoulder issues that have plagued my lifting and training since late august last year. The downside; for the first week or two of phase 2, my training will be very light, utilizing sled drags, calisthenics, and physical therapy. My PT and Ortho both solidly believe I'll be lifting, albeit light, within a week.

Diet changes: During my first week off, I experimented with extreme protein intake, exceeding 450gm daily. My calories were as high as 4k, and I didn't gain a pound! There might just be something to bumping up the protein so high. For this final phase, the protein is going up, fats are going up (to help with the healing process in my shoulder), but I'll work on keeping the calories around 2500. Additionally, since my training won't be as complete as I would prefer for the first week, I will not eat after 6pm and will not take part in a re-feed.

Today's diet totals: 2737calories 90g fat 76g carbs 408g protein

Today's training: 1.5 hours of shoulder rehab and treatment, 3x20 bodyweight squats, 1x20 barbell backsquats@60kg (done barefoot because my weightlifting boots are in the shop getting the heels shaved slightly).

Sensei
03-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I think we'd all be very interested in what kind of exercises you're doing for rehab Josh.

Also, what kind of bumpers are you getting (have gotten?)?

Speedy recovery to you!

Joshua Davis
03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I think we'd all be very interested in what kind of exercises you're doing for rehab Josh.

Also, what kind of bumpers are you getting (have gotten?)?

Speedy recovery to you!

I will be publishing a youtube vid shortly detailing my "shoulder battery". Lets just say that pulling movements such as deadlifts and kettlebell swings seem to decompress and even relieve pain/pressure in the joint, whereas any movement involving the supraspinatus (lateral raises, front delt raises, rotator cuff movements) hurt severely and I have been told to avoid them at all costs until the swelling and bruising goes away.

I cannot do a few simple things right now like steer my truck with my right arm, reach a shelf higher than my ribcage, or raise my arm above 30* without assisting with my other arm - at least not without some pretty extraordinary pain. It's getting exponentially better every day, however.

I bought the bumpers that Glenn Pendlay sells on his site. I am still waiting for my 140kg set to get here, but they ship freight from the factory so I am just expecting "any day now". I did already buy a pair of 20's from him and you'll see them in a handful of my vids.

the doc
03-08-2007, 08:10 AM
josh, glad to see the rehab will be expedited.

That 140kg front squat on the at large site is awesome!

Joshua Davis
03-09-2007, 05:32 AM
The Nitor Project Phase 2 Day 5 (Day 35 overall)

To facilitate healing my shoulder a bit faster, as I have mentioned before, I have bumped up the fats - especially the healthy fats like fish oil and nuts.

This morning, even with a minimal amount of training (basically just rehab/physical therapy) I have shed 8lbs this week... and finally weighed sub-320 as of this morning (319). I have been eating about 2x as much fat as before to accomplish this... and just shy of twice the calories.

Once I start training again (I am guessing by monday I'll be able to start moving weights back in my previous schedule), I will have some stellar results apparently.

Oh, and as my original plan entails, the first week of all 4-week phases doesn't allow for a re-feed. This idea actually stems from the original adkins "induction period" concept - to really starve those glycogen stores at first.

I will be doing "real" training tomorrow, probably some sled drags, light barbell squats, and some bodyweight squats with chains around my neck or a sandbag on my left shoulder.

Joshua Davis
03-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Nitor Project Day 36

First "real" workout after the surgery... although I have been doing some very light work in-between, although there was alot I couldn't do (like go heavy on squats or full-clean) I really trained hard today.

Normally while dieting I wouldn't advise anyone to do 20-reppers... however, since I have had what I consider sufficient calories, I threw them in today to "mix it up". Calorie totals left me with less than 3% of my daily intake in carbs, I was really strict today... next week I'll be refeeding at this time.

Clean Pulls: 3x3@135lbs/61kg
Powercleans (still can't bring my elbows up, so I am stuck with pcleans until 100%): 3 singles @ 135lbs
Squats: 10@135lbs, 10@185lbs, 10@205lbs, 8@225lbs, 20@225lbs/101kg
Tiredrag: Relayed for 600ft or so with 2 other guys, 210lb tractor tire with chain and D-Handle

Joshua Davis
03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Cleans/Pulls/Squats 3/13/07

Shoulder is bugging too much to rack cleans, so after failing to pull under 70kg a few times, I did some clean pulls and squats.

Today marks 14 days post-op for the shoulder scoping - physical therapist said I could start training.

Cleans: Several @ 40kg

Cleanpulls: Worked up to 2x3@150kg

Squats: 10@90kg, 5, 5, 10@120kg

pmhQeKwvO-Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmhQeKwvO-Q

FANCYPANTS
03-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Keep it goin Mr. Davis...youre an ispiration....and your lookin damn good!
GL with that shoulder :)

Joshua Davis
03-15-2007, 05:41 PM
More squats and pulls 3/15/07

BW: 317lbs/144kg

I have decided since I can't clean or snatch, I am going to move my training into phases, or blocks, as per the model outlined in Practical Programming. Even though my diet still revolves around weightloss, I am eating quite a few more calories... plus I am going to step up my re-feeds to support the 20-reppers on the weekends.

The first phase, since I can only squat and pull, is going to be *SURPRISE* squats and pulls. The sets and reps will be in a hypertrophy template, going triples on the pulls and cycling the weight... but on the squats I'll be doing 20's in one session (hopefully), 10's the next, followed by 5x5. Tonight was the 5x5 night... which is going to build around short rest periods. Tonight's session was done in about 35 minutes.

Squats: 10@40kg, 5@90kg, 5@120kg, 5@130kg, 2x5@135kg

Clean Pulls: 2x3@135kg, 2x3@160kg (hooked these, all that rest actually hardened my callouses and made them tougher)

Joshua Davis
03-18-2007, 06:25 AM
19 REP SQUATS 3/17/07

-gHTvoqgSBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gHTvoqgSBE

I can't count to 20.

squat/gm complex: 10@50kg, 10@70kg

squats: 10@70kg, 5@75, 5@90kg, 2x19@110kg

chris mason
03-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Good work on the squats Joshua! I hope you recover quickly!

Joshua Davis
03-21-2007, 07:56 PM
315lbs as of this morning. Had a little fever and didn't eat very much today. Coming into the home stretch now... even with all the setbacks I'm still on target...

I made some weightlifting HOWTO videos today with my sick-time...

Cleans:

EqfbQqANREc

nFkafj94Kdc

Joshua Davis
03-22-2007, 05:55 PM
squatting 3/22

4 sets of 5 squats: 100, 120, 140, 160kg
3 single clean pulls @ 160
2 cleans @ 50kg (still hurts)

squats felt good... heaviest I've went since the surgery

Joshua Davis
03-24-2007, 04:59 PM
20 rep day 3/24

week 3 hypertrophy block:
Back was stiff, so I did some kb alternating swings, t-handle pullthroughs, and the squat/gm complex I usually do.
After warmups, I kept getting shin splints really bad. Some nicoflex and self-abusive massage/slap treatment got me through the sets though.

kettlebell DARC swings: 20kg x 2 x 20
t-handle pullthroughs: 40kg x 2 x 10
squat+good morning complex: 60kg x 10
squats: 3@100kg, 120kg, 140kg, 130kg 20@110kg

6nUWSfGsD2E

Joshua Davis
03-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Listen carefully, at 3:35 you get to hear me crack ass...

so awesome...

Built
03-24-2007, 05:05 PM
That was awesome!

The squat gm combo is interesting, as were the t-handle pullthroughs.

I'm a try those! What in particular do you find helpful about these movements?

Joshua Davis
03-24-2007, 05:36 PM
That was awesome!

The squat gm combo is interesting, as were the t-handle pullthroughs.

I'm a try those! What in particular do you find helpful about these movements?

The t-bar basically lines right up with my hip bones, and because of the male anatomy, I have no choice but to bow deep (or I'll sing soprano)... it works well as a low-back decompresser - the feeling is similar to a reverse hyper, at least to me. The DARC swings are more for hamstring and low back, and I always do light gm's before squatting... I find that I have a habit to lean forward alot anyway, and if my hams are stiff, I lean forward REALLY bad. Warming them up gets me ready for squats.

Built
03-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I have decompression issues with no associated soprano considerations. I'm a try that!

Thanks!

ValleyFR
03-24-2007, 05:39 PM
omg dude...that was just....awsome....holly ****...this is the first time i have looked on yoru thread and looked at the pictures and videos...and i am just...wowed.....especially the picture from 2002 to 2005...you are just amazing man...and the drive you have is just..like no other.

Joshua Davis
03-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

I'd have better vids and progress if I hadn't had the surgery, but considering how I feel, I am giving myself about another week and I'll be able to start cleans and other lifts.

The surgery was definitely worth the month of gimped training. It's nice to be able to thread a belt through loops, pickup my son, and eventually (not yet) be able to press and snatch without pain.

ValleyFR
03-24-2007, 05:49 PM
good luck man, i am definitly going to keep looking in here because i am just amazed by teh things i see and actually..kinda inspired. I play football so its differant areas, but your intensity is just..nuts....and watching the power clean how to vid's makes me want to get back into doign power cleans over hang cleans.

Joshua Davis
03-24-2007, 05:51 PM
I have decompression issues with no associated soprano considerations. I'm a try that!

Thanks!

Marianne, I suggest you try them with a kettlebell or t-handle if you have one. Dumbbells will make your elbows rotate in a way that could put really nasty over-rotation onto them at the furthest stretch position.

A kettlebell won't stop at your hipbones though, which is what gives me the hyper feeling... it will get some blood flowing into your low back and hamstrings though.

Built
03-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah. Well - that'll be a problem. No kettleballs at my POS gym. Maybe I'll hang a plate off the dipping belt and swing that ...

ValleyFR
03-24-2007, 05:59 PM
would like...weighted medicine balls do the same effect as that weight ball you were using? but with both hands? because i dont know of anywhere where i can find something like that.

Joshua Davis
03-24-2007, 08:23 PM
would like...weighted medicine balls do the same effect as that weight ball you were using? but with both hands? because i dont know of anywhere where i can find something like that.

You are talking about the kettlebell for the DARC swings (don't even ask me what DARC stands for, I don't know). I bet you could improvise something with a lifting strap or thin belt through the hole of some 10lb plates... just don't try the alternate hand grabs.

Years ago, I built some homemade kettlebells by cutting a triceps bar in half, leaving the handles in a "Y" shape. Made a great kb for swings. USE GOOD COLLARS!

ValleyFR
03-24-2007, 08:51 PM
hmm..ill figure something out, thanks josh.

Joshua Davis
03-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Cleans and Squats 3/27/07

Hypertrophy Block Week 4 (last week)

First time cleaning anything more than 50kg since the surgery. I now know what a real, "honest-to-God-and-Sonny-Jesus" experience is... cleaned 90kg for 2 singles, on the 3rd single, the bar crashed down on my scoped collarbone. I dry heaved for 5 minutes dealing with the pain... decided to call it a night with the cleans and move onto the squats.

DARC Swings: 30 @ 20kg

Cleans: 5 singles @ 40, 70, 80, 2 singles plus a fail @ 90kg (one powerclean afterward to rack the 90, the strength is there, just need to capitalize on form)

Squats: 5's @ 90, 120, 150, 160, 170kg (these felt pretty hard, I guess years of triples and singles really makes a wimp out of you when it comes time to do reps with otherwise easy weight)

Joshua Davis
03-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Squats and Headaches 3/31

Did 20 minutes of shoulder work, mostly pulleys and some very light front raises. Messed around with cleans and some ohs with 40kg... but considering what happened last week I decided to hold back on the cleans... wacking my scoped collarbone with 90kg last week cost me thursday's workout and 1/2 a day of work resting and icing.

I got a ridiculous EIH at the 17th rep today and had to bail, I felt my neck and traps seizing up and cramping at 16. I guess I just didn't breathe enough...

GM/Squat complex: 5 @ 40kg, 50kg, 70kg

Squat: 5 @ 70, 80, 90kg; 9 @ 127.5kg, 17 @ 120kg

mrpopenfresh
04-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Good Luck.

Joshua Davis
04-22-2007, 03:13 AM
I have to greatly apologize for not updating this log recently. My doctor put me on some fairly intensive anti-inflammatory meds, painkillers, and even lidocaine patches because I was over-doing the ibuprofen to the point of liver issues. While on these new meds, it was strongly suggested to me that I not even take a multivitamin until recovered... which I have now done.

During this time away from all supplements, I kept my dietary habits of reduced carbs with weekly carbohydrate re-feeds, although I did eat a bit more fats. I have maintained the weightloss this entire time, weighing 317 on thursday, and 321 during my re-feed today. Because of the high volume squats, pulls, and slightly increased calories, my body has "filled out" more in the right places.

Monday will start the final 2 weeks of the Nitor project. Here is a short video of the training I was able to get in today:

ZhKuS4STT50

FANCYPANTS
04-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Nice to have you back Mr. Davis. I bet it feels good to be recovered and off those meds. I wish you the best of luck in the last two weeks of your progam.

nddillon
12-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Anyone ever here the overall loss total or his overall thoughts about the diet and results of NITOR