PDA

View Full Version : Bench Session

Detard
01-18-2007, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiZxGX13RYg

if anyone wants to comment on my form or anything else apart from my ****ty workout area, i'd be glad to hear it! :zipit:

HeavyBomber
01-18-2007, 07:35 PM
That's some nice benching. For me personally it's actually harder to not touch.

Really solid effort.

smokinHawk
01-19-2007, 06:54 AM
try to get up on your shoulders more when you arch, so most of your body weight is on your shoulders when you bench

sharkall2003
01-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Looking at it, but I can't tell from the angle it looks like you are just pushing the bar up mostly with arms. Try and use your chest more by doing this: When the bar is coming down have it touch the nipples on yoru chest or slightly below when going up make the bar come over your forehead. Remember to really stick out your chest and maybe even do a slower pause at the bottom. Good effort and excellent job.

Fcancel
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM
The first set is correct, but the others... u're giving pauses between the liftings, that's no good. Look at your first set... no pauses

Unholy
01-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Nice benching man.

smokinHawk
01-19-2007, 12:05 PM
there is nothing wrong with pausing

sharkall2003
01-19-2007, 01:34 PM
The first set is correct, but the others... u're giving pauses between the liftings, that's no good. Look at your first set... no pauses

Usually, if you pause you get a more accurate feel for how well you can control the weight. Bouncing it off your chest only gives you momentum. It doesn't increase strength.

Detard
01-19-2007, 01:40 PM
thanks guys. the reason i was repping so fast on my first set is because that weight is really light for me so i have no trouble with it.

thanks for the advice sharkall. my triceps are stronger than my chest in comparison which makes me use my arms more than i should. i'll keep working on my form.

sharkall2003
01-19-2007, 01:41 PM
thanks guys. the reason i was repping so fast on my first set is because that weight is really light for me so i have no trouble with it.

thanks for the advice sharkall. my triceps are stronger than my chest in comparison which makes me use my arms more than i should. i'll keep working on my form.

No problem. :) That's what us members are here for; to help you become a better weightlifter. You're doing an excellent job. All you have to do is work on your form a little more and you'll be literally pushing more weight and pulling more weight than you were before.

Stumprrp
01-19-2007, 01:48 PM
nice job but on 155 is looks like your not touching your chest

Detard
01-19-2007, 02:17 PM
nice job but on 155 is looks like your not touching your chest

i didnt touch on my 170 set but on everything else im pretty sure i touched except for 2 or 3 reps here and there.

Fcancel
01-19-2007, 08:40 PM
there is nothing wrong with pausing

If you pause you're doing like 1+1+1+1+1 reps... when ideally u should do 5. But if it works for you...

Detard
01-19-2007, 09:30 PM
thanks guys!

Natetaco
01-19-2007, 10:21 PM
looks like 155 and up you didnt touch your chest on some reps, make sure you go all the way! and there aint nothing wrong with using them triceps, if your going for strength then tuck the arms, arch the back, keep the blades tight, and get some leg drive.

Clifford Gillmore
01-19-2007, 10:25 PM
If you pause you're doing like 1+1+1+1+1 reps... when ideally u should do 5. But if it works for you...

No, your still doing 5 reps.

getfit
01-20-2007, 03:29 AM
Nice work

Detard
01-20-2007, 05:51 AM
thanks everyone.

sharkall2003
01-20-2007, 08:51 AM

Where did you get that from? A pause is not even a rest. It still requires some degree of muscle to keep it from crushing your chest. It's just to make sure that you are not using momentum to drive the weight back up.

Fcancel
01-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Where did you get that from? A pause is not even a rest. It still requires some degree of muscle to keep it from crushing your chest. It's just to make sure that you are not using momentum to drive the weight back up.

Did u see any bodybuilder make a pause on every up and down of a bench session?

galileo
01-20-2007, 02:23 PM

So, you take 2 second rests between each of your sets?

Maki Riddington
01-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Your legs are loose. You have no lower body drive. You keep moving your feet around.

RedSpikeyThing
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Your legs are loose. You have no lower body drive. You keep moving your feet around.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention that.

You're much stronger than me, but I'm going to critique anyways. You need to put your feet flat on the floor. Spread them out wide and bring them towards your waist. When you think they're wide enough and pulled in enough, do it a little more. Than before you even touch the bar, start pushing with your feet. Make sure your ass stays on the bench and your upper back on the bench. Unrack the bar and lower it to your chest. When you start to press it back up, try and push your feet through the floor and really focus on keeping your back tight. I think this easier to practice with medium-heavy weight (like 165 for you), rather than really light weight.

Detard
01-20-2007, 03:23 PM

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention that.

You're much stronger than me, but I'm going to critique anyways. You need to put your feet flat on the floor. Spread them out wide and bring them towards your waist. When you think they're wide enough and pulled in enough, do it a little more. Than before you even touch the bar, start pushing with your feet. Make sure your ass stays on the bench and your upper back on the bench. Unrack the bar and lower it to your chest. When you start to press it back up, try and push your feet through the floor and really focus on keeping your back tight. I think this easier to practice with medium-heavy weight (like 165 for you), rather than really light weight.

but if i use leg drive wont my butt come up from the bench? i found a powerlifting coach that i am going to try and setup a session with to teach me proper form on a few things.

sharkall2003
01-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Did you know that when you are training for strength and training to be a bodybuilder you train differently?

Maki Riddington
01-20-2007, 03:51 PM
The coach should be able to teach you about leg drive and the difference between arching your low back and bringing your butt off the bench.

Detard
01-22-2007, 08:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4NBX9vWTgo

another bench video up that i wouldnt mind some pointers on. I think my arch is alot stronger this time and I made sure to touch my chest on every rep. thanks guys!

smokinHawk
01-23-2007, 06:52 AM
power lifters do, its a good workout to help increase your start motion and the lower/beginning range of motion, I have been doing alot of paused reps lately and my bench has been moving up well.

but if i use leg drive wont my butt come up from the bench? i found a powerlifting coach that i am going to try and setup a session with to teach me proper form on a few things.
i have found to hover my butt on the bench works the best, it is touching but not supporting anyweight at all, and keeping my back arched well and legs out so the butt cannot come off, when i powerlifiting max mode.

smokinHawk
01-23-2007, 07:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4NBX9vWTgo

another bench video up that i wouldnt mind some pointers on. I think my arch is alot stronger this time and I made sure to touch my chest on every rep. thanks guys!

your arch is coming along some still needs a bit more curve.

this is the type of arch i use for my 1 rep max, i still need a little bit of work on my feet placement for that set
if you can see most of my weight is on my shoulders, and am pushing a little with my legs.

RedSpikeyThing
01-23-2007, 09:43 AM

At first it will. It takes practice. You'll get the hang of it.

Cirino83
01-23-2007, 01:09 PM

That is exactly what I was about to write. Definately need to use leg drive. Overall pretty good benches...especially for your age and weight.