PDA

View Full Version : Steak - Rare, Medium, or Well Done?

DaveG
01-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Who doesn't eat steak a lot? What I'm wondering is if it matters how you get it cooked. Is there any reason rare would be better for you than well done, or medium better than the other two?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Don't get it rare. Get it as well cooked as possible. You don't want to risk any easily preventable food-related illnesses. I usually get mine medium-well.

Mad Martigan
01-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Medium

Paul Stagg
01-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Doesn't matter. Eat it how you like it.

There is very little concern at all WRT illness.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-20-2007, 11:14 AM
http://www.bbqrecipesecrets.com/howlong.html

Max Thunder
01-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Well seared, to preserve as much nutrients as possible (and that include stuff like creatine, carnosine etc).

Paul Stagg
01-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, scarz, but the link you posted didn't suggest you shoud cook anything as much as possible.

It's also a place called bob's bbq, not exactly a medical journal.

Optimum08
01-20-2007, 01:15 PM
i go medium rare to medium. mmmm. steak.

Stumprrp
01-20-2007, 01:25 PM

same

DaveG
01-20-2007, 03:02 PM

I agree with you too! So, I guess I'll just keep getting it that way...
So, cooking it longer/shorter doesn't really have an effect on the nutrients left in the steak?

Nicoman
01-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Medium rare is my temperature of choice. Also make sure you go to a place that ages their beef and uses choice cuts of beef, they usually have the best marbling. Prime would be the best cut but restaurants usually do not serve it since it is so expensive.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-20-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, scarz, but the link you posted didn't suggest you shoud cook anything as much as possible.

It's also a place called bob's bbq, not exactly a medical journal.Some meats need to be cooked more than others. And there wasn't a point, I just found it interesting.

Talking_God
01-20-2007, 04:47 PM
With whole pieces of meat like steak there's not a very large concern with illness from cooking it rare..its with things like hamburger and other ground meat that need to be cooked all the way through. Chicken should get cooked all the way through as well.

whiteman90909
01-20-2007, 05:02 PM
With whole pieces of meat like steak there's not a very large concern with illness from cooking it rare..its with things like hamburger and other ground meat that need to be cooked all the way through. Chicken should get cooked all the way through as well.

:nod:

Davidelmo
01-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Medium to medium well for me.

I love the chargrilled outside but a little but red on the inside still. Nothing worse than something that is burnt and dried out IMO.

Bicster
01-20-2007, 05:25 PM
restaurants usually do not serve it since it is so expensive.

You must be going to the wrong places.

01-20-2007, 06:35 PM

hamburger = steak ground up
not sure y you would think u need to completly cook one but not the other

BostonBull
01-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Medium to medium rare depends on the restaurant, and how well they can cook a steak. I have never heard of any issues of someone getting sick form eating rare steaks. Pork I also eat medium to medium well. But thats another thread.

shootermcgavin7
01-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Medium

g00dnick
01-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Always rare for me.

Jabberwocky
01-20-2007, 10:04 PM
hamburger = steak ground up
not sure y you would think u need to completly cook one but not the other

The bacteria is on the outside of the meat, with a steak when you grill you kill all of the bacteria regardless of the temperature it is cooked to. With a hamburger the meat is ground so bacteria that may have been on the surface of the steak is now mixed throughout.

Eat your steak rare.

j-dearden
01-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Go for medium, well done is horid and all chewy. as long as the meat is fresh it doesnt matter how u have it, couple of my mates eat it when its still mooin.

Unreal
01-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Like Jabber said, the bacteria is on the surface. All you need to do is kill that on a steak. I like mine cooked so a well trained veterinarian can revive it. As rare as it can be.

Kana
01-21-2007, 08:57 AM
medium-well

If it's red, it ain't dead! :P

anelka
01-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Rare. Cook it any longer, and the fibres shrivel up and all the water evaporates, and you're left with a tough, dry steak.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-21-2007, 03:39 PM
^^

I've never experienced that with medium-well. I don't know where you got that idea from, but I've had extremely tender steak that was cooked medium-well. I personally don't like the cow bleeding all over my plate, but that's just me.

shootermcgavin7
01-21-2007, 03:54 PM
I personally don't like the cow bleeding all over my plate, but that's just me.

That's half the point. One can look down at their bloody plate, and smile at the fact that they're on the top of the food chain.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-21-2007, 03:55 PM
That's why it's my opinion. :thumbup:

But yes, I suppose others may view it that way, lol.

dudeman1056
01-21-2007, 04:00 PM
i eat it well done or ill get sick its dry but thats what a-1's for...mmmmm.
i dont like to get sick cuz wen i work out i feel ****ty and i cant lift as much.

RedSpikeyThing
01-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I've never experienced that with medium-well. I don't know where you got that idea from, but I've had extremely tender steak that was cooked medium-well.

I think a lot depends on the cut of meat. A cheaper cut of meat will be really tough if you over cook it. And at a restaurant, some steaks can only be cooked to medium. I think it has to do with the thickness of the steak.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I think a lot depends on the cut of meat. A cheaper cut of meat will be really tough if you over cook it. And at a restaurant, some steaks can only be cooked to medium. I think it has to do with the thickness of the steak.There are many factors, but to just flat out say that anything over rare will be dry and tough is a bit much. And nice restaurants generally have the highest quality meat.

Stumprrp
01-21-2007, 06:05 PM
just had a 16 ounce top sirloin cooked perfectly pink, mmmm, top sirloin is just as good as filet IMO!

VikingWarlord
01-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Medium-rare to medium.

Joshua Davis
01-22-2007, 04:01 AM
I'll eat my sirloins and ribeyes as rare as possible, even raw. Filet and tenderloin, on the other hand, taste a little better to me a shade over rare.

My favorite way to have a steak is "black and blue" - seared to a crisp outside and very rare on the inside... but finding a place that does it right, that doesn't charge you $30 ala carte for the steak is pretty tough.

For those of you afraid to see a little blood on your plate... if the steak is cooked at a high enough temperature, and allowed to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving, the blood shouldn't escape the meat... that happens when it has not been seared, been cut too early, or any combination of the two.

God I want a steak...

Unreal
01-22-2007, 07:26 AM
The blood is just a condiment to dip your potato in. Sweet potato soaked in blood rocks.

Mik
01-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Cut off the horns and hit it with a flash light for me!

humidityhater
01-22-2007, 10:12 AM
^^^

Agreed...if it's still making noise you got it right.

galileo
01-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Don't get it rare. Get it as well cooked as possible. You don't want to risk any easily preventable food-related illnesses. I usually get mine medium-well.

Well-cooked red meat has been linked to ass cancer. If I had to choose between a bout of food poisoning and ass cancer, I think I'd go with the former.

hulkinout
01-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Rare here too. Usually, it ends up coming out medium-rare, which is fine.

DaveG
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
i eat it well done or ill get sick its dry but thats what a-1's for...mmmmm.

If you have to use A1, it's not a good steak. Steak should never need A1!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-22-2007, 12:31 PM
^^

That makes no sense at all. Really good steak still tastes even better with A1. It's a sauce...for added flavor. You can use it or not use it. That has nothing to do with the steak being good or not. I've had awesome steaks that tasted fine without A1, but I still ate it with A1 because I like the flavor of the sauce. Don't be hatin' on the A1, man. It's good stuff. :thumbup: Nobody is forcing you to use A1. It also depends on what spices/seasonings were used on the steak.

Cirino83
01-22-2007, 12:56 PM
mmm did somebody say steak?

Alex.V
01-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Rare to medium rare. No steak sauce. Just a bit of salt.

Burgers... medium to medium well.

Sidior
01-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Rare to medium rare. Chicken well done lol.

Nosaj
01-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Viking knows what's up, medium rare plus. Using A1 on a quality piece of steak at a steakhouse is an insult to the cow that died in order to become something much more beautiful. And you know it's a true steakhouse if your meat comes served on a sizzling dish by itself, no sides.

Cut off the horns and hit it with a flash light for me!

I laughed at this, lol.

Cirino83
01-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Medium well...sometimes medium if it doesn't look like it was freshly slaughtered out back. People who eat it rare its very barbaric to me...I picture them looking up from their plate with fangs and blood drippin down their face....

Nosaj
01-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Medium well...sometimes medium if it doesn't look like it was freshly slaughtered out back. People who eat it rare its very barbaric to me...I picture them looking up from their plate with fangs and blood drippin down their face....

Hell mother f$#kin' yea! Wipe yo face off, yo bleedin'!

BostonBull
01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Using A1 on a quality piece of steak at a steakhouse is an insult to the cow that died in order to become something much more beautiful. And you know it's a true steakhouse if your meat comes served on a sizzling dish by itself, no sides.

This is VERY true!! Smith and Wollensky, Abe and Louies Ruth's Chris etc etc all top notch service and well prepared meats. Smiths brings it out on its own dish and the flips it like 4 times in its own juices before placing it on a plate by itself. The has you cut into it in front of one oft he many waiters in your room. If its not up to par send it back. No matter how small or outlandish the request is they fill that request everytime.

BostonBull
01-22-2007, 06:16 PM
You bring me a live cow, Ill carve off what I want and ride the rest home...dum dada dum dada dum dada dum!----Dennis Leary (No Cure For Cancer)

BostonBull
01-22-2007, 06:18 PM
This is the bit from above VERY funny CD if you have never heard it but it fits well here.

I love to smoke. I love to smoke and I love to eat red meat. I love to eat raw ****ing red meat. Nothing I like better than sucking down a hot steaming cheese burger and a butt at the same time. I love to smoke. I love to eat red meat. I'll only eat red meat that comes from cows who smoke, ok!? Special cows they grow in Virginia with voice boxes in their necks. "[VB] Moo"

I tried eating vegetarian. I feel like a wimp going into a restaurant. "What do you want to eat sir? Brocolli?" Brocolli's a side dish, folks. Always was, always will be, ok? When they ask me what I want, I say, "What do you think I want!? This is America. I want a bowl of raw red meat right now. Forget about that. Bring me a live cow over to the table. I'll carve off what I want and ride the rest home! [Making riding noises]"

I gonna open up my own place. Open my own restaurant and get away from you people. I gonna open up a restaurant with two smoking sections; Ultra and Regular, ok? And we're not gonna have any tables or any chairs or any napkins. None of that pussy ****. Just a big wide open black space. And all we're gonna serve is raw meat, right on the bone! And only men are going to eat there, naked men, sitting around a big giant camp fire, and no men's room either. You have to piss, you mark your territory like a wolf! And if some guy has a heart attack from eating too much meat, **** him, we throw him in the fire! More meat for the other meat-eaters! Yeah!

Because you gotta have goals. Because everybody in this room knows everybody who's quitting. You all have that friend who's quitting it. You know what I mean? The guys quitting it, "I quit smoking. I quit drugs. I quit drinking. I quit meat, and I feel great. I get up in the morning and have a nice big bowl of oat bran. I go to the bathroom for three and a half hours. I have another bowl of oat bran. I go back in the bathroom for six more hours. All I do is eat and ****, I'm gonna live forever! My colon is the strongest muscle in my body right now. I could pass Elvis through my colon right now."

And all these cereals they have, Cracklin' Oat Bran, and Horkin' Fiber Chunks, you know? Cereal used to come with a free prize. Now it comes with a free roll of toilet paper in every box. Guys get up on Sunday morning, "Forget about the New York Times, I'm gonna need the Bible. I got a big one brewing here." "Dad, there's a phone call!" "I'm on Genesis, God dammit! You tell 'em to call back after the creation!" People checking their own feces for fiber. You have too much free ****ing time on your hands, ok.

Red meat, white meat, blue meat, meat-o-****ing-rama. You will eat it. Because not eating meat is a decision. Eating meat is an instinct! Yeah! And I know what it's about. "I don't want to eat the meat because I love the animals. I love the animals." Hey, I love the animals too. I love my doggy. He's so cute. My fluffy little dog.. He's so cute- There's the problem. We only want to save the cute animals, don't we? Yeah. Why don't we just have animal auditions. Line 'em up one by one and interview them individually. "What are you?" "I'm an otter." "And what do you do?" "I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands." "You're free to go." "And what are you?" "I'm a cow." "Get in the ****ing truck, ok pal!" "But I'm an animal." "You're a baseball glove! Get on that truck!" "I'm an animal, I have rights!" "Yeah, here's yer ****ing cousin, get on the ****ing truck, pal!" We kill the cows to make jackets out of them and then we kill each other for the jackets we made out of the cows.

You will eat the meat folks, because this country was founded on two things. Meat, and war. You eat enough ****ing meat, you wanna kill somebody. That's the way it works. That was the ultimate American dream. During that Persian Gulf War, I was sitting in my living room, naked, with a can of Budweiser and a three inch stake watching the war, live, on TV. I had a six foot erection with a giant cheese burger on the end of it. I ate so much meat during the war that by the time the war was over three weeks later, I was like, "No no no. We need to keep fighting. Make a couple of stops on our way home from the Persian Gulf. First stop! Vietnam! Surprise the **** out of those people, huh?" "You make a movie?" "Not this time, pal!"

Personally, I think Mama Cass said it best when she said, "[Choking noises]" "All the leaves are [Choking noises]" "Monday [Choking noises

Lean-N-Mean
01-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Medium , well , or just a little pink in the center.

ddegroff
01-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Medium, medium-rare is good too.

HahnB
01-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Rare. Ask any decent chef and every single one of them will recommend a steak be eaten rare for the best taste/texture. I don't understand how people can get a $50 filet and ruin it by getting it cooked too much.

ArchAngel777
01-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I am not sure how the above can put such a solid answer on something that is based on personal preference... LOL, I don't give a ***** if TIME magazine did a report and said that rare tasted better. Why? Cuz I don't like rare meat... Simple as that, right? Some people like it well done, others like it barely cooked! I prefer it well, well done! Tastes good to me and I like it when it crunches... Nummy...

WildJames
01-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Well seared, to preserve as much nutrients as possible (and that include stuff like creatine, carnosine etc).

The whole "searing" thing is a great myth. It has no effect on retaining nutrients or "juicyness". I'll try to find the website, but they did a big study and "seared" a few steaks and cooked others regular, and the weight different was negligent. If searing kept in all those juices and nutrients, it would have a weight difference. Just something I read.

WildJames
01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Ah here is some info on that

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/3602/

Bicster
01-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Rare. Ask any decent chef and every single one of them will recommend a steak be eaten rare for the best taste/texture. I don't understand how people can get a $50 filet and ruin it by getting it cooked too much.

Depends on the steak. Any "decent chef" would never put out a rare Delmonico.

whiteman90909
01-23-2007, 08:38 PM
If it doesn't still have a heartbeat, its not worth eating.

Ti1301
01-24-2007, 01:42 AM
med done

HammDoggy
01-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Rare -> Medium - Rare

xlerate9
01-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Medium rare. Simply fantastic.

hottytoddychick
01-24-2007, 02:01 PM
If it doesn't still have a heartbeat, its not worth eating.

+1

MOO!

Relentless
01-24-2007, 02:15 PM

I have read that some chefs appreciate the yokels that order well done because it allows them to use up the crusty slightly rancid steaks that have been sitting in the cooler a little TOO long. By the time you're done carbonizing the steak to a nasty well-done lump, you can't tell it was slightly off to begin with. :)

If you are eating steak that is past medium, you might as well stick to hamburgers because you're not really tasting the steak anymore.

I always eat 'em rare. If it's a really decent restaurant with properly aged AAA beef, I'll do blue rare.

bigmoney
01-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Rare, and only rare. Last weekend me and some friends went to a nice steakhouse. 2 of them got a well-done rib-eye, a waste if you ask me.

By the way, has anyone ever been to Fogo De Chao? OMGGG

sharkall2003
01-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I usually eat stake medium rare, or medium. I don't want it too hard because I enjoy chewing it a little bit. However, when I did that steak eating contest I had it well done for quick eating purposes.

Relentless
01-24-2007, 02:21 PM
By the way, has anyone ever been to Fogo De Chao? OMGGG

Went there last time I was in Houston. Damn skippy!
I tried to keep my card turned to green as often/long as I could.

There's a Brazilian BBQ place local to me here at home as well, which is nice. It's not Fogo de Chao, but it's not bad!

bigmoney
01-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Ive been to alot of churrascarias but nothing compares to the delicacy of Fogo. I'm from Houston and try to go there at least 5-6 times a year. My card is always green, especially when i see that prime rib and top sirloin come rolling by! WHen you're about to bust and you see the huge pool of blood on your plate, it's hard to not smile :)

By the way, my personal record for non-stop eating there is 1:46. I'm going to break it this summer.

BostonBull
01-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Ive been to alot of churrascarias but nothing compares to the delicacy of Fogo. I'm from Houston and try to go there at least 5-6 times a year. My card is always green, especially when i see that prime rib and top sirloin come rolling by! WHen you're about to bust and you see the huge pool of blood on your plate, it's hard to not smile :)

By the way, my personal record for non-stop eating there is 1:46. I'm going to break it this summer.

There is a great place like that in Aruba. It is called Amazonia, top notch! They have over 100 salad bar items, and almost 20 meats!

Link here..... http://www.amazonia-aruba.com/index.htm