PDA

View Full Version : Depletion/Refeeds

Lotus
01-21-2007, 09:21 AM
I am new to this board, but not new to this whole idea of depletion workouts vs. refeeds...However, I am in need of some feedback and new perspectives, so if anyone has a theory about this, I would appreciate hearing it.

Here's the low down:
I have been on a diet cycle for over 6 months and have not had any "progress" not a lb lost, not an inch lost. I have been doing a depletion/refeed cycle for 3.5 weeks and still nothing. It is a brief cycle, 2 days deplete w/ 30g veggie carbs only and then my protein and fat. Then I do a re-feed on the 3d day but only for my first 3 meals, followed by my HIIT training after my muscles have recieved the glycogen...I realize it's only 3.5 weeks, however, I have been cycling in various forms for 6 months prior to this cycle.

So my question is this: Does anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening? I had to do a metabolic repair cycle, as well, so maybe it's all metabolism, but is that really that realistic to think?
I am just out of ideas as to why my body is not responding to anything whatsoever. I had my thyroid tested and that's all good....so apparently, I'm just a total freak or something....

Mr. D
01-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Check out Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald. It seems to be a good fit in terms of diet and training for you. Its a 7 day cycle.

Lotus
01-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks.

I have that book, read it but didn't pick up the cycle because I prefer the 5 day cycle that I was put on.

My issue isn't so much finding a depletion cycle that is effective as finding out why it may not be effective. I am not sure if anyone else has ever hit this same wall or struggled with this issue.

I just don't seem to respond to anything. My food is very clean, workouts are intense and cardio in place. Doesn't make sense to me so I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of anything that might be a factor.

the doc
01-21-2007, 12:10 PM
why not extend your periods in between refeeds?

also... it does not matter what diet plan you use. The fact is that if are not in caloric deficit for the week, you are not going to lose weight. It is that simple. Different eating strategies (or diets) are useful only to the extent that they facilitate the subjects ability to stick to the plan of being in caloric deficit- through hormonal controls (like ketogenesis), ease & simplicity, etc.

you need to really accurately track your cals vs activity to see what is going on

Mr. D
01-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Lyle has also created a 14 day UD2.0 cycle for people who dont respond to the 7 day cycle in terms of fat loss and are sensitive to refeeds.

Check out his message boards for it.

Blood&Iron
01-21-2007, 04:39 PM
You've already admitted you've been dieting for 6 months now with zero progress. Something is very fundamentally wrong. As has been stated, if you're not losing weight, you are simply not in a large enough caloric deficit. The rest is shuffling chairs on the Titanic. (This, of course, is assuming you aren't already extremely lean and). You mention you had to do a 'metabolic reset'. What is your dieting background? Were you extremely heavy at one time? What do each of these days of your diet look like? (i.e. foods, calories consumed, macro breakdowns). What do your workouts look like?

Lotus
01-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the input guys...

I have been eating well below maintenance, at varying numbers as not to be come accustomed to any particular cycle. Very clean and activity is way up. This has been monitored, I can assure you that I'm not eating more than I think, I track everything when I have to.

BLOOD AND IRON-
Well that depends, I was doing a depletion/refeed so my macros were different on a deplete day than my "normal" eating day. And my workouts were full body, 5sets of 15 reps with 45 min SS cardio at the end. I had 30g veggie carbs on these days, 160 g pro, and no cap on fat, I just couldn't add any fat. So I was allowed to eat fattier meats and dairy free cheese and such..

I was never very overweight but I was anorexic for almost 4 years. I fully recovered 1.5 years ago, which is why I had to do a metabolic reset for 2.5 months. Leading up to that I was doing a mellow and simple carb rotation.
Which is what I want to do. I have no interest in doing a depletion/refeed anymore, I was put on it just to "shock" my system and try to get some faster results, because I had been trying to shed this bit of fat for 5months.
This didn't work either, so I am at a loss for why my body wouldn't respond to anything, my trainer and dietician don't seem to know either.

I figured maybe someone has had some experience with this. I am stopping the depletion/refeed cuz it's not what I want to be doing. I just want a regular diet cycle, I'm not into such an extreme, I am just suprised I didn't make any progress.....

Anyway, Thanks for trying to help out......

KingJustin
01-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I am doing a similar cycle diet, and I am pretty surprised you're not seeing any results.

Even though I normally wouldn't say it's necessary, I would say try to bulk/cut with the cycles. For example, do 5 cycles where you aim to lose 1 lb each time, then 5 cycles where you aim to gain 1 lb each time. If you're not losing weight, you're either refeeding too much, not being active enough, or not cutting the calories enough on the low-carb days. Even if it seems like you are doing well in all those areas, the answer is simply that you're not doing well enough and may have to go to more extreme measures.