PDA

View Full Version : Undertraining?

Jinkies
01-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I've decided that due to powerlifting season im going to redue my routine to be more focused around lifts rather then muscle groups and see how it goes.

Monday- Deadlift

Wednesday- Benchpress

Friday- Squat

I will start with those lifts then do some accessory to focus on them but my question is with me only working chest once a week and with not much emphasis on certain muscles like lats and all will I be undertraining them and cause some losses in that or will I maintain and possibly increase if I train it once a week and hit it hard. I plan on training this routine for 2 months or so then return to a bodybuilding routine once the season is ended.

Jinkies
01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Bump, really curious about this before I attempt to workout today.

Chubrock
01-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Didn't you say something in another thread to the effect that you were going to be competing every week?

Jinkies
01-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Didn't you say something in another thread to the effect that you were going to be competing every week?

After a discussion with the coach its going to be moved to one every 5 weeks, I made it very clear that I would not compete under his standards and that a matter of toughness has nothing to do with what the body can handle.

Chubrock
01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
I think you're going to run into some problems with healing up completely before each competition. If you can't cut it down anymore as far as number of comps, I would plan for maybe 3 weeks or lifting between comps. You'll want to take a week off after each meet, and I don't like the idea of continuing to lift all the way up until the day of the meet. I'd say a week before and after each meet for rest and then maybe 3 weeks of lifting.

ericg
01-22-2007, 03:05 PM
What is the point of so many meets? At least you got him talked down to 1/mo. Now just crap out on every other meet (dont push yourself at all) so you can get on a decent schedule. I cant imagine these meets holding any significance considering their scheduling.

Bob
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
What's wrong with a Westside program for 4 weeks, rest 1 week, compete...
Then repeat...

Chubrock
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
What's wrong with a Westside program for 4 weeks, rest 1 week, compete...
Then repeat...

I'm thinking he's going to fry himself pretty quickly. If he goes all out at his meets, his CNS is going to be close to fried for awhile. If he comes back after the weekend and tries to have some ME/DE days, he's going to burn out pretty quickly. IMO.

Stumprrp
01-22-2007, 07:46 PM
im doing the same thing starting today jinkies and trust me 3 day a week programs are usually the best.

bill
01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Well deload the week before the meet and start back light. Just dont' lift if you not ready for the meet. Even if you burn out some the experience may be a greater reward later on.

Jinkies
01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't plan on going balls to wall every workout especially if Im approaching a meet or recovering from one, ill play it by ear depending on how my body responds. Im trying to get a good muscle memory, ive been really shaky from squats lately not having worked them correctly in a while and im trying to get my body to remember the motion cause I can't see to get my footing right again. I just want to make sure that by only training something like chest once a week am I going to grow with 6 days inbetween working it or will it just degrade over time from not enough stimulation.

WillKuenzel
01-23-2007, 05:12 AM
It takes roughly 6 weeks on inactivity before you start to see any sort of atrophy. Cutting back the volume will help from CNS burnout.

I'd take a week off after the meets and then the following week do a bit of mobility work, stretching and RE type stuff. Look into some of the recovery workouts that a lot of guys are doing these days after heavy ME sessions. Those might be a good thing to try the week after a meet. You could then probably get away with a week or 2 of Westside-ish protocol but stick to movements other than your regular squat, bench and deadlift. This will help to preserve the CNS a bit more. You can have days dedicated to those exercises but don't do those exercises but maybe once or twice in the 5 weeks between meets. Leave those for meet day.

Mad Max
01-23-2007, 06:33 AM
It takes roughly 6 weeks on inactivity before you start to see any sort of atrophy.

Really, I would have thought it would happen a lot quicker. From experience it seems that two to three weeks is enough to start to see signs of atrophy and weakening. I'm not breaking balls, I'm just curious.

WillKuenzel
01-23-2007, 08:49 AM
You'll start to see weakness setting in a lot sooner but it does take a lot longer than most would think for true muscle atrophy to start occurring. You'll lose strength relatively quickly just from your CNS disadapting (??). I'm a little short on words this morning but just because you're weaker does not necessarily mean that you've lost muscle.

Jinkies
01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
If im only to squat once or twice in a 3 week session my lifts are going to go down, ive noticed that how my body works if I don't hit squat once a week ill have a really shaky leg day when I return.

Chubrock
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
You can have a good "squat" day without squatting.

Jinkies
01-23-2007, 02:08 PM
You can have a good "squat" day without squatting.

Can anyone go into detail with this?

Stumprrp
01-23-2007, 06:12 PM
doing an accessory lift such as good mornings or a rack movement

nhlfan
01-23-2007, 06:34 PM
even if you just did box squats I think it would be alright

BamBam13
01-28-2007, 06:30 PM
im doing the same thing starting today jinkies and trust me 3 day a week programs are usually the best.

I definately agree with this I've been doing the three day week program and that where ive seen the most results rest is good but u need to tear down in order to build up... so get out there and lift 3 days a week. The Florida gators go 4 times a week and look at their program

Jinkies
01-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah but the difference is their working the same muscle group im going to be hitting a group then leaving it alone.

Stumprrp
01-29-2007, 02:43 PM
jinkies, forget about muscle groups, train either by lifts, your full body, or upper lower, trust me man.

im going bench-sdeadlift-squat and im getting murdered.