PDA

View Full Version : I need some help here...

Morox
01-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Let me just say that I lifted weights over a year ago and then I quit (got a job that required me to work away from home in the middle of nowhere). Anyways, I am back to lifting again and there is a problem I don't want to face that I had before.

When I first started lifting weights, I was 140 lbs (at 5'8") and I managed to get myself to 155 lbs. Everyone said I looked great and they could easily tell that I worked out. My only problem was that I had a gut. I don't mean a little gut, I mean a gut that I could grab two handful's of stomach region. I avoided sugar like the plague and soda and ate healthy, but it never seemed to go away.

Now, I am starting to lift again. Since I quit, it seems that my gut is just as bad as before. I am back down to 140 lbs again and I am basically at the beginning. I want to try and reach 170 lbs, but I don't want to my gut to increase, so I am worrying about consuming a lot of calories. What are some tips you can give me? I mean, for my size, I think my gut is abnormally large. When I actually somewhat flex, it doesn't look like I have anything there, but I do. I need some help...

One more thing... Now that I am back to lifting, will it take me just as long as the first time to see results? I think I heard someone say that once you go back to lifting, it's easier to get back what you had before. Is this true or no?

Morox
01-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Any help?

Nosaj
01-23-2007, 01:58 AM
A gut means high bodyfat %. You can limit how much bf% you gain by slowly bulking, adding a couple hundred cals to maintenance. Muscle memory is true, but that has nothing to do with your gut issue. Eat consistant, eat healthy and eat often. Your questions are very broad, do some reading, learn about diet. Then come back with more specific questions.

Morox
01-23-2007, 02:50 PM
My question is this:

I need to consume 3500 calories in order to gain weight. How am I going to be able to do this while losing my gut?

djreef
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Are you certain you need to consume 3500 calories in order to gain, or is this an estimate? Are you actually tracking your calories?

DJ

Morox
01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Are you certain you need to consume 3500 calories in order to gain, or is this an estimate? Are you actually tracking your calories?

DJ

Mostly an estimate.

Holto
01-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Mostly an estimate.

You will not gain weight while losing fat.

You can maintain weight, add muscle and lose fat, but it is much slower than bulking or cutting.

Choose a goal (Bulk or Cut) and hit it hard :thumbup:

Morox
01-24-2007, 02:56 AM
You will not gain weight while losing fat.

You can maintain weight, add muscle and lose fat, but it is much slower than bulking or cutting.

Choose a goal (Bulk or Cut) and hit it hard :thumbup:

I am only 140 lbs right now. I am a twig. Seeing someone with a gut at 140 lbs is sort of odd. So if I gain weight to 170, I may look worse?

djreef
01-24-2007, 08:39 AM
You prob should jump over to fitday.com, and actually start tracking your calories to see what your real maintenance actually is. It's a bit of work, but I'm telling you, it beats the hell out of trial and error. If you're taking in too many calories you'll be bulking whether you want to or not, and knowing your true maintenance is the only way to know for sure. At 140 I'm thinking you prob should be bulking, and not worrying about belly fat. Fill yourself out, and that belly might look a little more proportional. If you cut, what will you cut down to.....98lbs?

DJ