PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

lukek
01-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Im sitting at 198 lbs at 5' 10". Obviously Im overweight and have significant amount of fat. I was wondering, if I begin to swim about 3-4 times weekly, will I overtime cut into that fat and sculpt out a nicely toned body? Would you recommend swimming after I start lifting?

KingWilder
01-22-2007, 11:22 PM
you wont sculpt anything unless your diet is in order

personally, I love swimming more than any other cardio out there. I used to do it year round and after swimming 6 days a week for 2 hours each day and lifting twice a week I had a very lean physique.

You're def. going to be sore all over when you start swimming so make sure you don't lift on the same days. I would recommend doing sprints depending on how long you have/want to swim and possibly using hand paddles and doing some pull-only work as well.

lukek
01-23-2007, 07:28 AM
But generally speaking its a good overall way to workout the body and shed pounds and lose the fat right?

stallion
01-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Generally speaking, shedding pounds and losing fat are the result of expending more energy than you take in from food.

Cardio burns calories, which thus increases the amount of energy one spends.

However, what one puts into the body is even more important when it comes to dropping fat. A HIIT sort of workout , which can be done with swimming, would be amazing (in my opinion) for fat-loss and even muscle gains.

Long story short: Get your diet in order before you do anything else, then lift heavy and do some HIIT and your fat will just melt away.

Guido
01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Like others said, diet is as critical as what you do for cardio, if not MORE important. You need to switch to healthy eating habits if you've not done so already.

Like Wilder said, do sprint intervals and do some paddle/pull buoy work in there for variation. I love to mix in some swimming with my lifting, but it's always good to do it on off days as a form of "active recovery".

beatlesfreak
01-23-2007, 04:23 PM
you wont sculpt anything unless your diet is in order

personally, I love swimming more than any other cardio out there. I used to do it year round and after swimming 6 days a week for 2 hours each day and lifting twice a week I had a very lean physique.

You're def. going to be sore all over when you start swimming so make sure you don't lift on the same days. I would recommend doing sprints depending on how long you have/want to swim and possibly using hand paddles and doing some pull-only work as well.

Word!

xlerate9
01-25-2007, 08:44 AM
I started training for triathlon last month. Obviously, that includes swimming. It is extremely hard, and a fantastic workout. When I first started, I could only swim 25 yards and I was spent and had to catch my breath. Now I'm learning to breath better, I'm getting faster, and I'm able to swim 50's with only short rests between each one. That's still not good, but it's a lot better than when I started.

Like some others said, you will be sore for the first few weeks. It works muscles you never knew you had. Personally, I love it.