PDA

View Full Version : Karls Journal

KarlEdmunds
01-23-2007, 04:50 AM
Hello

I have been lifting properly since 23/10/2006, and I have been using Builts BGB routine which I love (thanks Built). Although I haven't posted much I am extremely grateful to this forum it has been a great resource and I nearly always find the answer to my questions without having to post.

As it's the new year and I have proved to myself I can be dedicated it seems the next step would be to create a journal so others in the same boat as me can follow my progress and so that I may obtain help along the way.

Here are my before and after pics so far, I know the poses are different but it is just so you can get an idea of progress. I was in terrible shape in October and looking back I'm quite embarrassed however I feel like I'm heading in the right direction.

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/4628/before231020066dw.th.jpg (http://img319.imageshack.us/my.php?image=before231020066dw.jpg)

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3844/after210120070cs.th.jpg (http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=after210120070cs.jpg)

My next workout will probably be tonight, I injured my neck in bed on Sunday :redface: and it's better now so I'll be doing Monday of BGB tonight.

I look forward to the next three months of progress :strong:

Karl

Edit: I should have noted a few particulars

Height : 6ft1
Starting weight (23/10/2006): 83.90Kg
Current weight (15/01/2007): 92.00Kg

I'll be weighing myself again tonight

KarlEdmunds
01-23-2007, 02:50 PM
So here's my first entry to kick things off

Weight: 93Kg/205lbs

The following are in kilos

Deadlifts : (60,100), 145, 140, 140, 140, 140
Barbell rows : 70, 60, 60

Bench Press : (60), 70, 70, 70, 70, 70
Incline DB Press : 24, 26, 26

Workout was great, having trouble breaching 140Kgs on the deads though, and my bench was up 10Kgs from last week, my DB press up 2Kgs too :)
Barbell rows are a bit pansy and could be improved, my form at 70Kgs wasn't great so I dropped the weight.

Very happy with chest workout today because although it's my weakest point it does seem to be progressing, just much slower than the rest of my body.

Check out my fitday to see my fuel intake today

Mmmmm food (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=KarlEdmunds)

Today I received a letter from Simbec, a medical research company I volunteer at and they have a study running in February, my screen is on Monday, the maximum BMI for entry is 27. I think I'm just in, but I am gonna use this week to eat at maintenance and possibly lose a tiddly bit of fat :p

Karl out

KarlEdmunds
01-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Gym was jam packed at 7:30pm, it drives me nuts but hopefully the number will drop by the end of February. Hopefully the inconsiderate :spam:s will stop turning up too, plates and dumbbells everywhere. Trying to match a dumbbell is a 10 minute task and good luck not to fall on everything else laying around the floor.

Despite this, my workout went well.

Pull-ups @ BW : 5, 5, 5, 4, 3
Pull-downs @ 52.5-kg : 8, 8, 8
Pull-overs @ 32-kg : 8, 8, 8

Standing Barbell shoulder press @ 60-kg : 5, 5, 5, 5, 4
Arnold Press @ 22-kg : 8, 6, 8

Skipped calve raise because I was hungry and the leg press machine was taken.

My diet was fairly decent, dropping some carbs to ensure I make weight for my pre-screen on monday. I have to fast for 4 hours before hand, I'll try not eating at all until my 1pm appointment and should be about 92-kg hopefully. I'll strip off to lose those extra pounds:idea:

Next workout is tomorrow:nod:

KarlEdmunds
01-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Friday, 26th January

Romanian Deadlifts : (60x10, 60x10, 80x5), 130x5, 130x5, 130x5, 130x5, 130x5
Good mornings : 60x8, 60x8, 60x8

Leg extension : 60x12, 60x12, 60x12

Tricep Dips : BW+10x5, BWx8, BWx8, BWx8, BWx6
Press Downs : 60x8, 60x8, 60x6

Didn't stretch throughout my warmup sets for Romanian deadlifts and 130-Kgs felt much easier than normal. I felt more explosive and will try the same next week at 140-Kgs.

Apologies for the various formats I have printed my sets, reps. I'm still playing around and it may change again until I find something that conveys the right info and is easy to read.

Oh, scales say 93.5-Kg does anybody know if 13 hours without food and a few hours without liquid will have much of an effect on my body weight on monday?

Karl

KarlEdmunds
01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Tuesday, 30th January

Yesterdays workout was postponed until today because I had my screen for the medical trial.

My BMI was 27.2 which was too high so I took my Jeans off and it dropped to 26.9 so I made the initial screen :) I'll find out Thursday whether my blood and urine samples were ok and then the study starts next week if everything goes well.

It's only really 4 days, 1 pre screen, 1 post screen and pays 900 however I do have to fast on occasion, like yesterday. I couldn't eat until 3pm when my screen had finished but I had with me a 2000 calorie packed lunch which filled a gap.

Anyway, on with the training.

Deadlift @ 140-kg : 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 - 2 warmup sets @ 60-kg, 100-kg
Barbell Rows @ 60-kg : 8, 8, 7
Seated rows @ 60-kg : 8, 8, 8

Dumbbell Press @ 37-kg : 8, 5, 5, 5, 5 - go for 40-kg next session
flyes @ 20-kg : 8, 8, 8

Calve press @ 320-kg : 12, 12, 12

Getting a bit frustrated with my Deadlift, might revert back to rack-pulls without the rack to ramp up the weight and increase core strength.

Diet is great at moment, I really have no problem eating required calories it's almost easy. Could do with more vegetables though.

Going to watch Jimmy Carr live tomorrow evening (british comedian) so will hopefully get a workout in beforehand.

My goals for the next 3 months
------------------------------------

Deadlift @ 200-kg
Squat @ 150-kg
Bench @ 120-kg, DB Press @ 50-kg
Standing Bar press @ 100-kg
Bar rows @ 100-kg

Things to do
--------------

Ab work :)

KarlEdmunds
02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I have missed the last few entries so I will try and fill them in here from memory. I'm posting from the clinic for the medical trial, I'll be leaving the unit tonight so I can correct anything that's wrong tomorrow.

Wednesday 31st January
----------------------------

Squats @ 120-kg : 5, 5, 5, 5, 4
Front Squats - terrible, just terrible. First time I have tried them and couldn't complete a proper rep with a moderate weight. My balance was off. I think my arms were in the wrong position so I'll trying again next squat day.
Leg-press @ 200-kg : 8, 8, 8 - makes up for terrible front-squats

EZ Bar curls @ 40-kg : 5, 5, 5, 5, 4

Thursday 1st February
-------------------------
Very little energy today, shoulder press is down pull-overs up

Pull-ups @ BW : 5, 5, 5, 4, 3
Pull-overs @ 40 : 8, 8, 8

Bar shoulder press @ 50-kg : 5, 5, 5, 4, 3
DB Shoulder press @ 22-kg : 8, 8, 8

I'm hoping to hit the gym tomorrow but I need to check with the doctor first, they might not want me to do anything too strenuous. I am eager to bring my chest up and want to blast 5x5 @ 40-kg dumbbells followed by some incline flyes.

Diet whilst I'm in the clinic goes as follows

fast from 11pm night before, no food until 1pm. No drink until 11am.

Lunch was two rolls, walkers crisps, piece of fruit. Dinner was at 5pm and included a breaded lamb burger, potatoes, peas, carrots, sponge and custard for dessert.

I probably eat more calories in 1 meal than I do here for the whole day.

Karl

KarlEdmunds
02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Ok here's an update

No training as yet, my first session will hopefully be this coming Tuesday or Wednesday. I am all psyched up, and secretly I'm hoping my lifts have magically improved despite no lifting :p

I'm not sure if anybody is reading my Journal, I'm sure there are more important things to follow but rather than start a new thread I would like to get some advice about my cholesterol.

As part of this medical trial, we are given a full medical pre and post study. Now my pre-screen showed a high cholesterol level of 5.9, 5.2 being the high point in the range they gave. Fortunately this was not clinically significant to exclude me from the study but I am slightly worried.

I am currently bulking and my fats have gone as high as 150g, usually around 120/130g per day. My estimated minimum?? fat intake is 95g, should I take this as a minimum or should it be a good guide to stick to?

There is no history of heart disease in my family but I am making this a priority over the next few months.

How soon would my cholesterol drop to reasonable levels after eating a diet lower in fat than usual?

I almost pooped my pants when I read my blood results, I don't like the idea of being unhealthy in any way, it took a while to come around to the idea of bulking :p

KarlEdmunds
02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Finally got down the gym, the medical trial is over and today was my first session in 20 days :( although it felt like much much longer.

My strength is down :( my stamina is down :( and my weight is down :(

I weighed in after a quick number 2 at 90-Kg, 3-Kg less than 20 days ago, and after todays performance some or most of that is most certainly muscle, lets hope my muscles have been absorbing the ginkgo biloba I supplement :p

Anyway, here goes.

Pull-ups @ BW - 5, 5, 4, 4, 3
Pull-overs @ 34 - 8, 8, 8 (down from 36)
Pull-downs @ 52.5 - 8, 8, 8 (only exercise that didn't change)

Standing Bar Press @ 45 - 5, 5, 5, 5, 3
Seated DB Press @ 20 - 8, 5 followed by @ 18 - 5
Lat raises @ 8 - 8, 8, 8

Diet today has been reasonable, I am finding it incredibly difficult to keep my fat intake below 100, in-fact it's almost impossible. I may consider changing my milk to 1% but we'll see how this week goes.

Looking in the mirror at the gym was quite saddening, I definitely look worse than 20 days ago and I'm gutted but it only motivates me more.

Hope tomorrow goes better.

KarlEdmunds
05-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Plenty has happened since my last post, but not much in the name of training.

Lost about 4-Kg in what appears to be water and fat, I'll find out how much strength I've lost soon enough. My final exam is Wednesday 30th May and I will be hitting the gym on the Thursday. Expecting DOMs for most of the weekend.

Here is a pic of the wheels. My arms look small here as does my overall build. My legs though look great compared to the rest of my body :p

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/5799/photo82mt5.th.jpg (http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo82mt5.jpg)

Really excited and looking forward to next weeks training. In between my study I'm prepping my diet.

The aim is a very slow bulk until end of the summer and bulking until march next year provided I'm not too fat.