PDA

View Full Version : what is the correlation...

uw-lifter96
01-23-2007, 07:31 PM
between muscle size and strength?
its generally accepted that bigger people are stronger, but there is more to it, i just dont know exactly what it is.

case in point: do steroids help a one rep max to an elite lifter?
steroids affect the muscle size more then anything, whereas strength comes from CNS adaption, muscle recruitment etc, correct?

i thought i read on this board that the reason upper level athletes use steroids is to increase hypertrophy which in turns allow for force to be put over a bigger muscle or something similar, but i dont know for sure.
can anyone understand this post because i dont know how to ask what im trying to...

any ideas?

Detard
01-23-2007, 07:48 PM
basically your asking do steroids maximize strength gains aswell as size gains??

you might wanna try this question in the anabolic section.

Sensei
01-23-2007, 08:10 PM
case in point: do steroids help a one rep max to an elite lifter?Yes.

steroids affect the muscle size more then anything, whereas strength comes from CNS adaption, muscle recruitment etc, correct?Size matters.

uw-lifter96
01-23-2007, 08:37 PM
when i figure out how to ask what im trying to learn ill post it :(

betastas
01-23-2007, 08:37 PM
You won't see a 100 pound 6 footer manage to lift an elite total without gaining a ton of muscle.

uw-lifter96
01-23-2007, 08:47 PM
yea but some of those little bastards will pull 700 at under 200 bodyweight!

Prodigy06
01-24-2007, 08:45 AM
do steroids help a one rep max to an elite lifter?

Hell yea.

steroids affect the muscle size more then anything

Depends what steroid you're talking about. Some steroids (Halotestin for example) aren't very anabolic and wont make you grow in siz at all. But Halotestin will make you stronger. Depends on how anabolic / androgenic the hormone is. The more anabolic it is the more it wil allow you to grow. The more androgenic the stronger it will allow you to be.

Alex.V
01-24-2007, 11:03 AM
That's not really how it works, bro.

Sleepy Guy
01-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Training a buddy lifted 625 raw at 180lbs body weight with out to much trouble. At the time 630lbs was just too much sure he could do it now.

I have heard that he took some juice and a side from one of the craziest backs I have ever seen he is not that huge. Good trap average arms and a back like an island.

It all depends on what you take and how but yeah drugs help allot. BTW three years ago I was kicking his ass in lifting. Right now I would never get 625 up.

betastas
01-24-2007, 02:08 PM

Correct.
But they have muscle. You can't be strong without some degree of muscle. The individual's strength depends on many factors like training, rest, nutrition, genetics and drive.

uw-lifter96
01-24-2007, 02:13 PM
i know they have muscle :P. thats obvious, im just curious where the two intersect, as some people with big muscles arent all that strong etc.

i dunno, when i think of a better way to ask i will. until then, live long and prosper.

Guido
01-24-2007, 02:27 PM
It depends mostly on how you train.

WillKuenzel
01-25-2007, 09:05 AM
This might give you an idea:
http://www.dolfzine.com/page216.htm

chris mason
01-25-2007, 09:45 AM
between muscle size and strength?
its generally accepted that bigger people are stronger, but there is more to it, i just dont know exactly what it is.

case in point: do steroids help a one rep max to an elite lifter?
steroids affect the muscle size more then anything, whereas strength comes from CNS adaption, muscle recruitment etc, correct?

i thought i read on this board that the reason upper level athletes use steroids is to increase hypertrophy which in turns allow for force to be put over a bigger muscle or something similar, but i dont know for sure.
can anyone understand this post because i dont know how to ask what im trying to...

any ideas?

Steroids can and will have a positive effect on demonstrable strength above and beyond their ability to enhance hypertrophy. The have an effect on the nervous system as well which, to my knowledge, is not well understood in mechanism.

So, yes, they definitely aid the 1 rep lifter as is strongly evidenced in both powerlifting and Olympic lifting.

Alex.V
01-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Not to mention shortening recovery time, slowing muscle catabolism, etc. etc. allowing a higher training volume.

uw-lifter96
01-29-2007, 08:27 PM
this is what i read

borris said this in the anabolic zone

A lot of upper level powerlifters don't really feel that they get a ton of 1RM strength out of the stuff per se. They feel that they get better recovery and hypertrophy, which over time leads to more strength. That makes the strength much easier to maintain or grow back into.

Alex.V
01-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Like I said...

uw-lifter96
01-31-2007, 08:04 AM
i know i know but i just figured id post it since i found the quote

so possibly it doesnt help raise your 1rm directly, but the additional training and frequency you can do may yea

RhodeHouse
02-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I think they help the 1RM. Obviously, your recovery time is shortened. This allows you to do more work in the same amount of time.

Strength and size gains depend on what you take and how you train. The most important thing here is training. How someone trains will determine how strong they are/could be. Size helps alot. A bigger muscle has the POTENTIAL to be stronger. It needs to be trained to be stronger.