PDA

View Full Version : HIIT on Low-Carbs?

KingJustin
01-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Simple question.

During diets with very little carbs (TKD, PSMF, UD2 for part of the week, etc), is HIIT a good form of cardio? Or.. is it too catabolic/something else bad?

Bicster
01-24-2007, 09:22 PM
In Lyle's book he does not recommend cardio on a PSMF. So definitely no HIIT.

Slim Schaedle
01-24-2007, 10:27 PM
HIIT on UD2 is a very bad idea

KingJustin
01-24-2007, 11:21 PM
No kidding.

Out of curiosity, what problems does HIIT cause?

Also, I'm not sure if what I'm doing is substantially different from something like UD2...

I am following Galileo's plan. I do PSMF on day 1. On day 2, for the first half, I do PSMF, and for the second half I refeed like crazy. Then I go back and repeat..

djreef
01-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Besides the obvious stuff, the biggest problem, from my vantage point, would be that of proneness to injury. HIIT requires that you go all out on some movements for brief periods of time - ie burst training. Man, if you're not gassed up for these activities it's real easy to jack yourself up. I'm not sure how many sets of sprints (or whatever) you'd get in before you pulled/tore something, and ended up on your face. It's definitely, NOT worth the risk IMO.

DJ

ericg
01-25-2007, 10:38 AM
No kidding.

Out of curiosity, what problems does HIIT cause?

Also, I'm not sure if what I'm doing is substantially different from something like UD2...

I am following Galileo's plan. I do PSMF on day 1. On day 2, for the first half, I do PSMF, and for the second half I refeed like crazy. Then I go back and repeat..

Sound smore along the lines of a CKD/TKD. Do you structure your routine around the refeed? I dont think HIIT would be a problem. Ease into it, meaning dont go doing sprint walks for 20 minutes, start off at 5 min.

KingJustin
01-25-2007, 11:14 AM
The basic plan is:

Day 1:
Diet: Nothing but protein all day. No weightlifting. Very few calories (ie maintenance is about 3200 and I get about 1400). The only real source of carbs is whey/nitrean (~2g per 25g of protein), spinach (3g carbs), and broccoli (7g carbs). I have about 8g of fat from fish oil and then another ~17g from chicken/turkey/ham/nitrean.
Workout: I usually do some moderate intensity cardio for about an 45min to an hour in the evening.

Day 2: Morning Diet: Nothing but protein for about the first 6 hours of the day. No workout at all. Very few calories, etc. Same as day 1.
Afternoon: Refeed. I start shoving down carbs. I think a 60/25/15 split is good here, based on what I read in the UD2 book. I try to eat relatively clean and focus on starting with high GI stuff and moving towards low GI stuff. I taper off the carbs just slightly at night and that's when I get a bit more of my protein/fat.
Workout: After I take in 1 light refeed meal (usually starchy cereal, whey, milk and fruit), I do my usual workout. Usually 6-8 rep, 2-4 set to almost failure type stuff.

And then back to day 1.

I had been working on my work capacity for awhile, though, and I don't want it to diminish. I have no problem doing two-a-days and I really don't like doing low intensity cardio. I feel like it takes a lot away from the weights. So.. If possible I'd like to add in some short HIIT sessions. If you guys think that is possible anywhere, let me know!

djreef
01-25-2007, 11:43 AM
If you're going to do it, I'd only mess with it on your refeed days. Even then you're going to have to watch yourself. You don't want to start burning muscle tissue to fuel the workouts. Plus the injury thing. Take it easy at first til you get a better idea of how your body is going to react.

DJ

ddegroff
01-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Cardio Article (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292)

Built addresses this somewhat in her newest article.

Your already depleted, so a low intensity SS cardio would probably work fine.