PDA

View Full Version : In college. Food Sucks. HELPP!!

slick
01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
So im a frosh in college. about 175 lbs. ive been on and off weightlifting for about a year and a half now max bench 235..etc etc

regardless the college's meal plan here only offers 3 meals a day. if you wake up in time for breakfast that is.

Money is tight of course. And im sure some of you are in college and have to deal with this crappy food.

Tomorrow my new protein comes in, ive been out for a week. and i will be at 3 shakes a day.

What can i do to keep things coming along here?

Jabberwocky
01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Most foods people will reccomend to you will not be expensive by any means. If you can afford three shakes a day you can afford solid proteins. Are you bulking/cutting we need more information from you. When I started out in college I would spend $36 a week on food and still get around 300 grams of protein a day.

SpecialK
01-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Does your college offer any healthy choices or somewhat healthy choices at all? I had to make do with stacks of lunchmeat on wheat bread for the longest time. It didn't taste very good but I couldn't argue with all you can eat.

RedSpikeyThing
01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
What are your goals? IMO you should ditch the money spent on supplements and buy real food.
I'm in college, but I live off campus. I buy whole chickens, ground beef, pork chops, peanuts, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, tuna, pasta, fruits and vegetables, etc. I rarely use any protein powder.

EDIT: If you want numbers, I get 3500+ calories / day on about $50 CDN/ week.

bigmoney
01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Im not sure what ya got, but I live off grilled chicken, eggs, tuna sandwiches, and loads of milk at my cafe. Plus in my dorm i have whey, milk, and oats.

slick
01-24-2007, 10:34 PM
trying to do a little bit of both. id like to bulk up more and put on more mass.. yet i would like to stay cut and keep the tone in a way.. this is what i look like now, i know silly picture.. but its all ive got of current.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/slickcav/132849431_432363424_0.jpg

I really wouldnt have 36 dollars a week to spend on food.

I could probably get a 4th meal in a day as they have a later evening place open that is more along the lines of wraps, chicken tenders, popcorn chicken, french fries.. all the stuff i know is not good for you, but they do make wraps and they do make subs.

so ill ask the questions.

1st meal : breakfast.
They offer:
-all types of bagels, (cinnamon raison, wheat, etc)
-someone makes omlets to order ( i order he makes, ive never had an omlet tho,)
-theres waffles.. bacon..sausage.. cereals (raisin bran is usually what i get)

So pick my first meal for me please

2nd meal: lunch
They offer:
-always pizza(gross)
-they have a deli line, where i can get any sandwhich i want made
example: chicken cesaer wrap, tuna sandwhich, hams turkeys etc etc. .....this is usually where i go.
-theres usually a meat:burgers, chicken pattys
-theres salad. i usually get salad.
-theres a section where i can get my own stir frie made (chicken terryaki, rice, etc)
-note bagels are still available.

Pick my lunch..pick my salad.. or pick my wrap.. just help!!

3rd meal: Dinner
Typically same stuff as lunch, seriously, pizza's, salads, deli line.
-fried chicken, or other types of cooked chicken
-vegies vegies vegies..

Pick my dinner :(

4th meal: Late evening grub
Like stated above
-pop corn chickens, chicken strips,
-wraps, subs, etc.

You get the idea now of what im going through..

so could i ask for a hand here??

thanks fellas

Altephor
01-24-2007, 10:39 PM
trying to do a little bit of both. id like to bulk up more and put on more mass.. yet i would like to stay cut and keep the tone in a way.. this is what i look like now, i know silly picture.. but its all ive got of current.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/slickcav/132849431_432363424_0.jpg

I could probably get a 4th meal in a day as they have a later evening place open that is more along the lines of wraps, chicken tenders, popcorn chicken, french fries.. all the stuff i know is not good for you, but they do make wraps and they do make subs.

They offer:

They offer:
-always pizza(gross)
example: chicken cesaer wrap, tuna sandwhich, hams turkeys etc etc. .....this is usually where i go.
-theres a section where i can get my own stir frie made (chicken terryaki, rice, etc)

-vegies vegies vegies..

Like stated above
-wraps, subs, etc.

thanks fellas

Where do you go to school, out of curiosity? And it sounds like there's plenty of good stuff in there, chicken, bagels, stir fry, etc. Try an omelette, btw; I never liked eggs but have started to eat omelettes, they're quite good.

slick
01-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Where do you go to school, out of curiosity? And it sounds like there's plenty of good stuff in there, chicken, bagels, stir fry, etc. Try an omelette, btw; I never liked eggs but have started to eat omelettes, they're quite good.

Im at Wesley College in Delaware.

It sounds like theres good stuff.. but i dont no what good stuff is.. bulk/lifting/health wise to be completely honest with you.. which is why i asked..

Altephor
01-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Oh I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant you were on a good diet and couldn't keep it up at school.

Anyways, I'm no expert on perfect foods for lifting, but read around on these forums there's plenty of advice. Check out the shopping list (What a Bodybuilder Eats), and plenty of people will add in their $.02.

TopQuark1028
01-24-2007, 11:11 PM
The dining hall at my university is amazing for good clean food. I think most dining halls are - you may have to do a little order customization but that's not hard... I usually eat at the dinning hall 2-3 times a week and load up on chicken breasts, tuna, hard boiled eggs, and raw veggies

RedSpikeyThing
01-25-2007, 07:44 AM

But you're buying protein powder? " :scratch:

FullTimeStud
01-25-2007, 07:48 AM
We only get chicken breast 3 times a week for lunch, never ever for dinner.:cry:

RichMcGuire
01-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Bring a thing of peanut butter and eat it :P

slick
01-25-2007, 09:20 AM
But you're buying protein powder? " :scratch:

36$ a week x 4 weeks= 144$

Optimum Nutrition 6lb jug=23.99.

so yes i have money to buy a jug of protein..that doesnt come close to 144 a month.

I know Universities have excellent dining hall food, yet im at a small Methodist D3 College, theres under 2,000 people here, theres one dining hall.

So can someone help me piece together a meal plan here? thats really the reason for this thread. im limited on meals per day, so i want to make the best out of them.

ericg
01-25-2007, 10:35 AM

They offer:

They offer:
-always pizza(gross)

-vegies vegies vegies..

Like stated above
-wraps, subs, etc.

thanks fellas

Sounds like with those food choices you can get by just fine. Pick things that are least processed, stuff that grows from trees, pick from the ground, or kill and cook! Just get some veggies, lean protein, and some healthy fats in.

Oh yeah and I highlighted the foods that sound ok to me.

slick
01-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Sounds like with those food choices you can get by just fine. Pick things that are least processed, stuff that grows from trees, pick from the ground, or kill and cook! Just get some veggies, lean protein, and some healthy fats in.

Oh yeah and I highlighted the foods that sound ok to me.

sounds good.. i appreciate it guys!