PDA

View Full Version : low carb, low cal, Huevos Rancheros

Joshua Davis
01-26-2007, 07:35 AM
I usually buy Papetti liquid pasteurized egg whites, because I can eat them raw without fear of the 3-day poopskis... so I always have a carton in the fridge. This is a recipe born out of the Nitor project, for a nice breakfast with the family... it's just over 300 cals including the olive oil, and is full of protein.

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup egg whites
1 whole egg
1oz lean ham (I like Hormel Cure 81 because it is the best tasting ham in the world)
1/4th small tomato, cubed
1/4th small onion, chopped
4 black olives, chopped
1 slice low-fat cheese of your preference (I prefer the "natural" low fat cheeses, the synthetic ones just taste too macdonalds for me)
3 tablespoons salsa
1 tablespoon sour cream, optional

cilantro, salt, pepper, chilis to taste

crack the whole egg into a small bowl or dish with the egg whites, don't break the yolk unless you like it that way. Salt and pepper the eggs in the bowl.

Heat up your oil in a small nonstick omlette pan (that you have a small lid for), when the oil is hot enough (a drop of water pops), add your onions. Once the onions are browned at the edges and begin to give off their liquid, add the egg mixture to the pan, shaking it to settle the egg around the onion well.

In a seperate bowl, microwave the ham, tomatos, and olives for 60 seconds or so.

Flip the egg like you would for over easy eggs or omlettes, then immediately remove from heat. Top the egg mixture with the cheese, then top that with the ham/tomato/olive mixture. Cover with a lid, without heat, for another 2-3 minutes (this allows the cheese to melt slightly). Slide the whole shebang into your plate, top with salsa and sour cream if you must, and eat... I love making sure the yolk is still a little runny, it goes well with the ham and other ingredients.

Just over 300 calories, 30gm of protein, and less than 6 carbs.