PDA

View Full Version : lifting for the beginer

manofsteel99
01-27-2007, 09:26 AM
my friend wants to play football next year and i told him he needs to work out cause hes small.

so i think u can all gues that hes pretty much never worked out.

and hes kinda lookin for me to be the one to help em out,like his personal trainer.

im gonna have em do 3 basic movements: bench, squat, and deadlift. plus a few other excersises.

ive heard that u shouldnt go very hard with beginers so they have time for their joints and tendons to get used to lifting and then go heavy, which is wut i plan to do.

but im no expert personal trainer though. feedback will be greatly appreciated :)

manofsteel99
01-27-2007, 09:40 AM
one thing i forgot to mention is that all i have is the weight room upstairs in my house cause my friend doesnt wanna go to the weight room in my school cause hes embarased.

RedSpikeyThing
01-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Make sure he's got his form down on the big three before lifting too heavy with them. I would suggest a 5x5 scheme because it is a good compromise between size and strength. Make sure he relaizes how improtant diet is and that he will not get bigger if he doesn't eat enough.

Ruffian
01-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Generally, when I show my friends how to lift weights I have them start with a low weight, high rep scheme so they can nail form and get the muscles used to the movements. Trust me, he'll feel it!

For example, instead of doing a 5X5 right off the bat (that is for building strength, and for the first little while that should not be his goal). For the first (2-3 weeks, depending on how long it takes him to get the form down) have him lift in a 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps scheme. Once he has the form down pat then he can start going heavier, but have him go into it gradually because otherwise he *will* sacrifice form. Make sure that you keep an eye on him and explain to him why good form is necessary (injury prevention and all that jazz).

Also, send him on over to WBB so he can do some looking around on his own!

Good luck

Bohizzle
01-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Generally, when I show my friends how to lift weights I have them start with a low weight, high rep scheme so they can nail form and get the muscles used to the movements. Trust me, he'll feel it!

For example, instead of doing a 5X5 right off the bat (that is for building strength, and for the first little while that should not be his goal). For the first (2-3 weeks, depending on how long it takes him to get the form down) have him lift in a 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps scheme. Once he has the form down pat then he can start going heavier, but have him go into it gradually because otherwise he *will* sacrifice form. Make sure that you keep an eye on him and explain to him why good form is necessary (injury prevention and all that jazz).

Also, send him on over to WBB so he can do some looking around on his own!

Good luck

Absolutely. tell him to eat as well. if he wants to get bigger for football, no matter how much he lifts, he won't get bigger unless he has a caloric surplus.

Chris686
01-27-2007, 01:06 PM
He really shouldn't be embarassed.

I see scrawny guys in the gym all the time, and they don't seem to be embarassed at all!

Haha, joking.

School gym usually has better equipment. We ALL started somewhere. He'll likely have more to work with in the school gym, which will help him get stronger faster.

rmccray
01-27-2007, 02:43 PM
this plan seems good exept you should also have him do some barbell shoulder presses i like to train the core four for begginners
BENCH SQUAT DEADS SHOULDERS
good luck and SFW!!

Chris686
01-27-2007, 02:51 PM
SFW?

vdizenzo
01-27-2007, 06:26 PM
SFW?

Smash *****ing Weights. It it something we talk about in our crew. Too often people spend more time worrying about setting up the perfect program when all you really have to do is SFW! Almost any plan with a little theory will work as long as you train intensely.

SFW!