PDA

View Full Version : eating before/after working out?

osirisblind
01-27-2007, 02:24 PM
so i did a search but couldn't find anything helpful to answer this question.

just wondering i'm trying to gain weight and i've been lifting heavy but i wanted to know when i should eat (before or after my workout) and when i should have my protein shake (before/during/after workout)

currently i am eating a small snack high in carbs and calories about 30 minutes before a workout. what do you guys suggest?

leveque
01-27-2007, 02:30 PM
You can do a protein shake both during and/or right after a workout.

And since you're trying to gain weight...eat all of the time (maybe not right before your workout though)

Can'tstopnow
01-27-2007, 02:38 PM
I eat a light meal with high carbs about 30 min before I get to the gym and a high protein shake with 1100-1200cals following my workout. I would say it is 45-55 min from the time I eat to the time I am getting warmed up and hitting some working sets. Then I try to eat every 3 hours through the day.

Detard
01-27-2007, 02:57 PM
eat before AND after (take your protein shake after too)

Chris686
01-27-2007, 02:58 PM
I always eat before I go in the gym.

I don't eat a whole huge meal or anything, but I get something on my stomach. I get sick if I don't have anything in my stomach.

A single chicken breast, or something of that nature. Many will eat carbs before, but I don't have any issues with energy levels usually so I get some protein in me.

Then I eat a big meal when I get home.

RedSpikeyThing
01-27-2007, 03:43 PM
I generally work out after dinner. I have a big meal and about an hour later I'll be at the gym. Afterwards I usually pound back some gatorade w/protein and something more substantial a little later.

Really, though, don't worry about. Since you're trying to gain weight KEEP EATING!

Questor
01-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Before: pasta, beans, or whole grain cereal in milk
After: eggs or protein shake plus ripe banana or bagel+honey

Put a better way:

Before: Low-gi, complex carbs
After: protein plus high-gi carbs

Mr. D
01-29-2007, 09:33 AM
I generally eat 30g of Carb (fruit) with 15g of whey 30 min before. Then during the lifting, I sip on 30g dextrose, 15g whey. Finally afterward I drink 30g Dextrose, 15g Whey. If you are looking to gain major size, you can make each of those shakes 60g Dextrose, 30g Whey.

Check out one of the volumes of Get Built, either issue 2 or 3 i think. she addresses this.

PoutineEh
01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
i have been going to the gym before classes, so this is what i do:
wakup at 6:00 am, eat a peice of bread, go back to sleep
wake up at 7:15 am, drink ~20g protein and go to the cafeteria and get some kix w/ a little cocopufs for some sugar
workout at 8:00 am and sip on some dextrose.
loads of sugar/carbs, but it keeps my am workouts from lacking and will stop catabolism from working out.

Cirino83
01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I usually eat dinner when I get home from work at 6ish...work out at 6:30 and then have a high cal protein shake right after and then either eat again around 8:30 or have a snack.

camaro68
01-30-2007, 02:20 PM
I usually eat some fruit or oats and a small protein shake before my workout. I need something in my stomach or my workouts usually go poorly.