PDA

View Full Version : Diet Creation

waly01
01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
I read one of the suggested articles in the nutrition section and they suggested and I got to this part: 4.) Your macronutrient consumption should be 32/40/28 (percent protein, carbohydrates, and fats respectively). Can someone help me by showing me how I'd design a diet that meets those requirements? I'm not sure what foods and how to figure out how many of the calories or coming from the protein carbs and fats etc. Thanks in advance.

Built
01-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Read the diet link in my sig.

The ratios don't mean anything - not by themselves.

Paul Stagg
01-27-2007, 10:42 PM
What is your goal? There isn't a magic ratio; focus on meeting your nutritional needs and the ratio will fix itself.

waly01
01-27-2007, 11:07 PM
What is your goal? There isn't a magic ratio; focus on meeting your nutritional needs and the ratio will fix itself.

Im about to start a gain. I was going to use Built's routine and go to about 5000 calories a day. I tracked my weekly calorie intake on fitday.com and I was around 4000.

Built, I read through your section as well, but I'm not sure how to design my diet around what you did. I guess I just didn't follow it to well. You'll have to exuse my incompetance here. Im knew to this whole designing a diet thing.

Paul Stagg
01-27-2007, 11:15 PM
How long have you been lifting?

How much do you weigh?

What is your approximate bodyfat percentage?

What is your goal?

Built
01-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Okay.

From the foods you ordinarily eat, fiddle with the amounts until you get the protein and fat at no lower than their minimums.

Then fill up the rest of your calories from whatever combination of protein, carb and fat you desire.

Make sure you get at least 25g fiber in there.

This will get you most of the way to where you need your diet to be.

The rest - make sure you have lowfat carb and protein meals after you lift, sip a protein/dex shake before and during your workout, get in fish oil - those can all get tucked in later.

Okay?

waly01
01-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Yea, that helps a lot. Thanks so much. I'll try to mess around and design something off that.

To answer:

I'm 200 pds, 5'11 and about 11-12% body fat. I've been lifting for about 4-5 years now but this is the first time that I'm doing this type of research and really changing my routine around. My goals for this diet are gonna be to gain for a while

Paul Stagg
01-28-2007, 11:29 AM
This is what I would do. It's worked for me.

Eat whatever you want. Whenever you want. As much as you want. Follow a couple of simple rules:

200+g protein
include healthy fats (fish oil)
5 serv of veggies every day

That's it. Everything else is up to you. The key to gaining is getting enough calories and enough protein. The only challenge is making sure you get enough calories, which for me was always pretty easy, because I pick things like double quarter pounders and pizza when I eat whatever I want.

Another approach is to use John Berardi's articles as a base for your diet. That's certainly healthier, but it's harder to get calories.

Built
01-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Follow Paul's suggestion for now. Keep it simple. When your gains slow/stop, you'll have to pay more attention.

waly01
01-29-2007, 03:28 PM
So you guys think it's ok that I eat pizza and cheesteaks as long as I get the dietary fibers I need and 200+ g of protein?

How many calories should I aim for? im 5'11 195 and abou 10-12%

Paul Stagg
01-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Sure. You need to consider your health, and weigh that against how fast you want to get bigger.

Real bulking: 20x bodyweight. So for you, a little under 4000

waly01
01-29-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't think my health will be to bad, I will try to balance it as much as I can.

What supplements, if any should i be taking? and also my shake is isopure whey protein. should i pick up anything else?

Paul Stagg
01-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Supplement what you don't get in your diet.

If you need additional protein, use it.
If you need more convenient meals, get a meal replacement.
If you want to use creatine, go ahead.
Fish oil is a good idea
A multivitamin is a good idea
Fiber is a good idea if you don't eat enough of it.

Other than that, I don't think you need to use much of anything

waly01
01-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I forgot to mention tho, if I stick with that method and just eat everything i can within those limitations, will i be gaining fat with my muscle? I wanna put on mass without adding to much extra fat

Any changes in your suggestions with that?

Paul Stagg
01-30-2007, 08:58 AM
You'll gain some fat, yes.

How much will vary. If you gain too much fat, you need to figure out if your training isn't optimal or if you are eating too much.

Or both.

This is where you knowing how you respond is critical. It's all trial and error, and it changes over time.

When I was about 26 or 27, I was in grad school at night, working a day job, and training 3 or 4 times a week. My post workout meals were often McDonalds double quarter pounders. I followed the rules above (except for the vegatables part), got enough protein, got a metric assload of calories, and I blew up, and didn't get fat.

It was great.

If I try that now, at 36, the results might be different. My training is different, my energy expenditure is different, my concerns about my health are different. So I need to experiment, and find what's best for me, based on what I know worked for me in the past, as well as what I know about physiology. And I experiment. It doesn't take long to figure out something is or isn't working.

You'll learn to do the same. And when you do, you'll be successful.

Slim Schaedle
01-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Paul wrote more than 1 response in a newbie's diet thread :eek:

:)

waly01
01-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Its been damn helpful so im glad he broke the trend with me

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-30-2007, 10:53 AM
You'll gain some fat, yes.

How much will vary. If you gain too much fat, you need to figure out if your training isn't optimal or if you are eating too much.

Or both.

This is where you knowing how you respond is critical. It's all trial and error, and it changes over time.

When I was about 26 or 27, I was in grad school at night, working a day job, and training 3 or 4 times a week. My post workout meals were often McDonalds double quarter pounders. I followed the rules above (except for the vegatables part), got enough protein, got a metric assload of calories, and I blew up, and didn't get fat.

It was great.

If I try that now, at 36, the results might be different. My training is different, my energy expenditure is different, my concerns about my health are different. So I need to experiment, and find what's best for me, based on what I know worked for me in the past, as well as what I know about physiology. And I experiment. It doesn't take long to figure out something is or isn't working.

You'll learn to do the same. And when you do, you'll be successful.Nice post Paul. :strong: