PDA

View Full Version : Some very bad squatting.

Fuzzy
01-28-2007, 12:57 AM
This was my 8th set.

132x10,
176x5,
220x5,
242x5
308x3 perfect
308x3 perfect
308x3 little shaky
308x4 absoloute ****

I def wasnt hitting par on the last set, and last rep nearly gave me a heart attack, i GMed it so badly. Next time Ill get it when Im doing my fresher sets.

Also, I dont usually do this much volume, but all I did was squat cause I kinda cant hold anything else.

EDIT: might actually help if I put the vid on! lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zGp73DGvDJY

Clifford Gillmore
01-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Your not breaking paralell, your about 4" away from it.

nhlfan
01-28-2007, 02:32 AM
yeah I think you could stand to go a little deeper. not too bad though...you're leaning forward/GMing it a little more than I like to.

Fuzzy
01-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Im well aware of the depth, I promise you the first 2 sets were atg.

Davidelmo
01-28-2007, 02:45 AM
I dont think it was that bad. I see a lot worse when I go to the gym.

You're still 14 and moving 140kg. Just work on the depth a little more.

1mmort4l
01-28-2007, 03:13 AM
I thought 300 was 3pps...
Aghh well 225 x 4 is pretty impressive at 14 years old..

Hockey66
01-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Looks like 3pps to me. Good stuff Fuzzy, like said you could stand to go deeper but still better than most people.

Fuzzy
01-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Ok, Im doing these again in 2 days and hitting atf and leaving a **** mark.

MeHoW
01-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Yeah thats nowhere near parallel.

Stumprrp
01-28-2007, 08:01 AM
fuzz - whether that was a tad high or not thats sick at 14 years old

sharkall2003
01-28-2007, 08:09 AM
For 14 years old that's very very good. However, keep practicing on nailing parallel and not GM'ing that like you were.

Fuzzy
01-28-2007, 08:11 AM
grr, tommorow.

I dont care, Im doing the vid again.

Beast
01-28-2007, 08:21 AM
You still rowing? Because you definitely do not look like a rower, lol.

blazedprodigy
01-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Ouch. That form looks painful. Sit back into a squat. You don't squat down you squat back. Depth was shallow. But thats been made a clear point already.

Also just a personal preferance of mine but I would go slower on the way down. You seem to be unlocking the knees and free falling. Control the negitive and explode out of the hole.

That being said. Nice work. I don't beleive I was even squatting at 14.

EDIT: I just looked...are you sure you've squatted 4 plates? Correctly? I just saw that if you can squat 405 with 4 reps like that at 308 you'd have me surprised.

Fuzzy
01-28-2007, 08:42 AM
You still rowing? Because you definitely do not look like a rower, lol.

Bastard.

Do you know how much I get told that?

sharkall2003
01-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Bastard.

Do you know how much I get told that?

You don't. You have a small gut and usually rowers are very lean and muscular.

Fuzzy
01-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Small, your too nice sharky.

I am well aware I dont have the rowers physique, but Im a good rower.

Im hopin Ill be an even better one at 180.

sharkall2003
01-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I was trying to be nice. You could see that thing a shakin' when you were getting ready to squat. Hahaha. But you're mighty strong for your age. Don't be too proud of yourself, though. You have a very long way to go until you'll be lean and strong. If you drop 26 lbs it will be a lot harder (usually) to do as much weight as you are now.

Detard
01-28-2007, 09:14 AM
thats some nice weight your moving. try sitting back more into the squat and not goodmorning it as much. i think you'll get even more poundage with some help with your form. like you said, you missed depth but thats still pretty impressive for 14 years old.

ps. hahaha @ that lady staring at you to the left.

smokinHawk
01-28-2007, 09:20 AM
i thought that was pretty close to parrellel to me, but not to the floor reps, hard to tell cause of the camrea angle though, good sets.

Beast
01-28-2007, 09:22 AM
You could see that thing a shakin' when you were getting ready to squat.
hehe that's what I was looking at.

I'm not trying to be an *******, Fuzz. I'm sure you're a strong-as-hell rower. Usually rowers are like sticks, though.

Jinkies
01-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Fuzzy those looked like some good squats, the only people in the world who don't get **** over how low they go is olympic lifters.

I wouldn't sweat going down perfect and each time because if you focus too much on that it will take ur mind of actually lifting the weight and cause you to be shaky. I may not hit parallel on my 3 or 4th rep of a set but I don't bug because the weights still on my back and im still growing.

Natetaco
01-28-2007, 03:01 PM
i sorta have a hard time beleiving you said your other 2 sets were ATG when the video you had you were inches away from parallel. thats just what i think. Other than that you wernt far from parallel and your also squatting more than me 4 years younger.

Bob
01-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Slow down fuzzy...
You will do yourself a world of benefit.. if you just lighten the weight (say 50 lbs) and strive for much stricter and deeper reps. Believe me.. if you take 100 k (220 lbs) now.. and just add 2 kilos per week... with strict form and ATF.. you will be squatting >300kilos (>661 lbs) when you are 16 or 17... that will be awesome..

You could be a beast!!! but not if you injure yourself...

Paul Stagg
01-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Kid, you have a metric assload of potential.

Drop the weight a bit, and spend some time working on your form. Sit back, not down. Head up; lead with your head and chest, the rest will follow.

Every squat should look the same.. one at 135 should look just like 405, 405 is just slower and harder.

I would take a couple of weeks, drop the weight down to 135, and do lots and lots of sets of 2-3 reps (like 20 sets). Make every rep perfect.

Then work back up. With better technique, you'll squat even more, and your lifting career will last much longer.

Jordanbcool
01-28-2007, 04:27 PM
I thought your form wasn't that bad. You were a little shaky at the third rep I think. But from what I saw it looked like you hit parallel........I dunno though. Most bodybuilders and power lifters are very picky about squat depth. Let me look over the video again...

EDIT: You could've gone lower for ATF squats but it was def. parallel from what I saw. I dunno if thats what you were going for or not.

Anyways. At 14 going parallel with 300+ pounds on your back is a huge accomplishment. I bet you could probably squat more then me.....Good job.

Jordanbcool
01-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah thats nowhere near parallel.

Did you watch the video at all?

You're making it sound like he did a half squat which is totally wrong.

HammDoggy
01-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Thats a huge effort Fuz, good work.

Paul Stagg
01-28-2007, 06:03 PM

I don't want to make an issue of this, but that squat isn't close.

It's still a hell of an effort, and it won't be long before this kid is outsquatting most of us on this forum.

deeder
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM

LOL! Did you?

Fuzz - Definately gotta work on technique and depth, I'll be waiting on some new vids where your squat is perfect.

Stumprrp
01-28-2007, 06:14 PM
look at his hip and knee, its not as far as all of you are making it seem, a few reps were an inch or 2 off.

betastas
01-28-2007, 07:11 PM
How did you squat 405 parallel?

Sensei
01-28-2007, 07:22 PM
look at his hip and knee, its not as far as all of you are making it seem, a few reps were an inch or 2 off.
Stump, most, if not all, are at least 3 inches above parallel.

Ruffian
01-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Agreed, all his were at least 3" above parallel, I think the closest he got *might* have been 3 inches above... If you stop breaking with your knees then you might be closer to parallel, but if you watch your vid you will notice that you bend at your knees instead of at your hips. Not only is that TERRIBLE on your knees but it will also make the angle needed to hit parallel much lower.

Its hard to imagine what your form would have been like on 405...you definately take a HUGE step back in weight and work on your form... Before you kill yourself!

Sidior
01-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Your are a strong dude, just one question. If lots of your sets were good before this one, why not take a video of one of the better ones instead of just telling us they hit depth?

Fuzzy
01-28-2007, 10:38 PM
I didnt relaise I had my camera in the bag till I went to get a drink from my bag.

Everyone thank you so much.

I have decided I will drop the weight to 220 and not go over for the next 8 weeks or so.

I want my form completely spot on and i want to hit proper form and depth.

Beleive me, Im very dissapointed with my form.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

As for the 405, I wish I knew, the meet I did it at was basically a gathering of lifters, I simply pressed when the guy who was in charge said 'squat' and I was passed.

Jordanbcool
01-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Guys. The knee and buttocks where completely aligned and straight. Unless he was doing ATF squats which is what he didn't do......but I thought he hit parallel from watching the video. And, I watched it more then once. I thought the last two were shaky but everything still looked parallel to me.

EDIT: I can't really see past the stupid bar but to get a better read you'd have to set up a better angle of the camera. At first I thought you hit parallel on all of them but now I'm not so sure. Anyways, comments like "dude you didn't come close at all" are totally wrong. If anything you were an inch or two away......most people don't even go anywhere near that low..

bill
01-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Jordan buttocks has nothing to do with hitting //, its the hip joint that matters.
Fuzzy excellent strength, your on the right track, being able to look at any weak points and want to improve them. That's how you get better, be your worst critic and biggest supporter. Bill

WillKuenzel
01-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Guys. The knee and buttocks where completely aligned and straight. Unless he was doing ATF squats which is what he didn't do......but I thought he hit parallel from watching the video. And, I watched it more then once. I thought the last two were shaky but everything still looked parallel to me.

EDIT: I can't really see past the stupid bar but to get a better read you'd have to set up a better angle of the camera. At first I thought you hit parallel on all of them but now I'm not so sure. Anyways, comments like "dude you didn't come close at all" are totally wrong. If anything you were an inch or two away......most people don't even go anywhere near that low..

Its hip joint and knee. Not buttocks, not hamstrings, not quads. Hip to knee relation.

We are not most people. Most people might not go near that low but the rest of us go lower than that for sure. We're here to help. Nobody is taking away from Fuzzy in saying that the weight is light but are trying to help him get lower with the weight. It'll make him better in the long run.

Just as a matter of reference, I've attached a picture of his lowest squat at its lower point and I'm still thinking he was several inches shy of parallel. His hips are locked and his knees travel way too far forward. He goes low but because his knees travel so far forward he never breaks parallel. He goes through a long ROM but its not parallel.

Jordanbcool
01-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Do you guys think its harder to hit parallel if you are doing a power squat?

I've been lifting for six years now....I've always done power squats since I thought it was easier and I was shown/told to do that in my earlier football years. In the past few weeks though I had my feet shoulder width apart and I could hit depth much easier but my weight is almost cut in half :(

Would a weight at my heels help to stabilize me? A weight under my heels I mean, like a 5lb plate.

Not to derail the thread but at my previous squatting my best depth was probably as good as fuzzy with similar weight..

Fuzzy
01-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Ok... so, need to sit back more, got it, slow it down, ok, what else?

Remember folks, I tought myself how to squat. The 2 instructors Ive asked didnt know how to...

Form work tommorow, Im really gonna focus hard.

Chubrock
01-29-2007, 08:56 AM
A more sumo style squat is harder to reach parallel because of the tension it puts on the hips and glutes. This tension, however, is what makes it such a strong position to be squatting in. If you can't reach parallel with a sumo-esque stance, work on your hip and groin flexibility.

EDIT: Fuzzy- work on kicking your hips back as the initial movement. From there, you're going to think about driving your hips farther and farther back, instead of compensating with knee bend. Work on driving your elbows farther forward, as this will keep you tighter and more upright. Also think about spreading your groing. By this, I mean driving your knees out to the sides.

Fuzzy
01-29-2007, 08:58 AM
My feet were maybe 6 inches past my shoulder width.

Is that sumo?

Chubrock
01-29-2007, 08:59 AM
I just edited my post. I was originally talking to Jordan about that but was too lazy to quote him. Check out my edit.

ericg
01-29-2007, 09:41 AM
You are a strong kid no doubt. You should seek out a really good coach if you can find one, I am sure if he saw your strength at your age he would take you under your wing.

Really listen to the posts here (well most of them) and focus on form a bit more. Just throw on 1PPS and go from there.

Fuzzy
01-29-2007, 09:53 AM
I am listening to the posts lol.

I dotn think anyone gets how attentive Im trying to be, I really want to improve these badly.

sharkall2003
01-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Would a weight at my heels help to stabilize me? A weight under my heels I mean, like a 5lb plate.

Not to derail the thread but at my previous squatting my best depth was probably as good as fuzzy with similar weight..

Nope. Drop the weight, use the hamstrings more, and start working on really tensing up your quadriceps and make sure your back is straight. No reason for the plates.

Ruffian
01-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Jordan- What kind of shoes are you lifting in? I have a problem maintaining my balance at the bottom of my squat if Im in shoes with a heel (well, this was when I was squatting o.k. lol- its been a while), perhaps try getting something with a flat hard heel or else squat in sock feet.

Fuzz- You need to practice in a mirror before you even worry about doing weight, your knees should only start drifting forward when you hit/break parallel. 3/4 of the movement should be from your hips, so you should stick your ass out real far (like I always tell the ppl who Im teaching to squat- think "Black chick's ghetto booty") and move your ass up and down, your knees should follow the movement as a secondary pivot, not primary. You are going to notice that all your weight is going to be cut back, probably as much as half... You were doing half-squats there, and with those you can do a stupid amount of weight because of the small ROM.

BTW- I would probably consider those comp results of yours null and void, they arent valid if you werent being told to go to parallel. The chances of you having done a hundred pounds more then this to parallel is very unlikely given the amount you were above parallel in this vid. Im glad your wanting to work on form, if this was an IPF competition none of those squats would have been valid. TAke a step back and do it right so you can reallly destroy the competition!

Sidior
01-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Jordan- What kind of shoes are you lifting in? I have a problem maintaining my balance at the bottom of my squat if Im in shoes with a heel (well, this was when I was squatting o.k. lol- its been a while), perhaps try getting something with a flat hard heel or else squat in sock feet.

Fuzz- You need to practice in a mirror before you even worry about doing weight, your knees should only start drifting forward when you hit/break parallel. 3/4 of the movement should be from your hips, so you should stick your ass out real far (like I always tell the ppl who Im teaching to squat- think "Black chick's ghetto booty") and move your ass up and down, your knees should follow the movement as a secondary pivot, not primary. You are going to notice that all your weight is going to be cut back, probably as much as half... You were doing half-squats there, and with those you can do a stupid amount of weight because of the small ROM.

BTW- I would probably consider those comp results of yours null and void, they arent valid if you werent being told to go to parallel. The chances of you having done a hundred pounds more then this to parallel is very unlikely given the amount you were above parallel in this vid. Im glad your wanting to work on form, if this was an IPF competition none of those squats would have been valid. TAke a step back and do it right so you can reallly destroy the competition!

He is not reaching depth but still going over a large ROM because his knees go so far forward. When fuzz learns to squat properly and hit depth Im sure he will be doing more than he just did on the video.

edit: about the IPF thing, ya they wouldnt have been close to legal but the IPF are nazis anyways

Ruffian
01-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Sid- His knees are drifting forwards, but in my mind, the ROM is still smaller. At the bottom of his squat the majority of the stress of his weight will be on his knees which are probably past his toes. The adaptation of the muscles to a real ATF squat will result in a true full ROM. Instead of allowing his joints to bear the weight he will have to have his muscular structure do it. I think it will take him a while to nail his form and build back up to the weight he was doing, the amount of depth he was hitting wil have made his hamstrings and glutes pretty much useless... Thats what I get from it anyway.

As for the IPF thing... YEs they are nazi's but that is what makes it fair! If he wants to beat an IPF world record he is going to have to take a HUGE step back and get his form perfect, it would take an IPF judge 1 s to call his lift invalid! Im just letting him know this because of the hugeass goal he has in bold on his siggy, I just dont think it would be fair to him to send him to an IPF competition expecting to win and have his lifts called invalid because he wasnt aware that the IPF requires the squat to hit parallel to make it valid.

- Does that make any sense at all or did I just talk in a huge circle?

betastas
01-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey Fuzzy

Go search for Dave Tate's article "Squat 900 Pounds". I would send you the link but I can't post it on these forums. :D

It's a great article, it'll tell you exactly what you need to do for a good power squat.

Fuzzy
01-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Ruff, thanks alot for all that.

Once again, I told you, it wasnt an IPF meet, it was bunch of big fat guys, bout 30 or so, one guy in command, I simply pressed when he said and I passed. Looking back, the depth felt the exact saem as these, so not par, but I passed.

In a few weeks I will have a proper IPF coach, and shell fix me up, till then I wanna fix as much of this damage as I can.

Chubrock
01-29-2007, 12:45 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do;jsessionid=927199BF403D6BA3592C8990E3A13C27.ba08?article=body_149squat

Jordanbcool
01-29-2007, 12:56 PM
I wear the same clothing as wrath does in the animalpak advertisements. Somewhat for the look and partly for the functionality. For example, I wear steel toed boots for the look and if I drop a dumbbell on my feet I wont crush my toes. But yes. It has a fairly big heel but I have problems doing it flat-footed. I find it easier to squat with my feet shoulder width and with my feet slightly pointed out. That seems the be the best position for me as far as form goes. As far as weight and power is concerned I can do 50+ pounds more on a power squat stance but I rarely hit parallel. At least thats what I'm seeing now.

Sidior
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Sid- His knees are drifting forwards, but in my mind, the ROM is still smaller. At the bottom of his squat the majority of the stress of his weight will be on his knees which are probably past his toes. The adaptation of the muscles to a real ATF squat will result in a true full ROM. Instead of allowing his joints to bear the weight he will have to have his muscular structure do it. I think it will take him a while to nail his form and build back up to the weight he was doing, the amount of depth he was hitting wil have made his hamstrings and glutes pretty much useless... Thats what I get from it anyway.

As for the IPF thing... YEs they are nazi's but that is what makes it fair! If he wants to beat an IPF world record he is going to have to take a HUGE step back and get his form perfect, it would take an IPF judge 1 s to call his lift invalid! Im just letting him know this because of the hugeass goal he has in bold on his siggy, I just dont think it would be fair to him to send him to an IPF competition expecting to win and have his lifts called invalid because he wasnt aware that the IPF requires the squat to hit parallel to make it valid.

- Does that make any sense at all or did I just talk in a huge circle?

lol I dig, I like the IPF and plan to compete it in very soon for those reasons. I still think they are nazis though ahaha.

In regards to fuzzies stuff I hear what you are saying about the glutes and hams, did not look at it that way before :thumbup: I do feel his rom is still quite large though, just very wrong. Your knowledge is going through the roof, get that knee sorted out so you can apply it again soon :D

betastas
01-29-2007, 02:53 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do;jsessionid=927199BF403D6BA3592C8990E3A13C27.ba08?article=body_149squat

Or just go right ahead and post it too... :rolleyes:

Chubrock
01-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Why did you say we can't post the link?

WillKuenzel
01-29-2007, 05:28 PM

I'll actually put a weight under the ball's of my feet instead of the heels. It teaches you to sit back more and learn to squat on your heels. Or learn to squat by pointing (reverse curling??) your toes up.

You've been squatting with your quads, which are strong but the combination of the hamstrings, glutes and lower back is even stronger. It might take some time to learn but everybody that I've re/taught to squat has improved above their old personal bests in no time. Its like learning a completely different movement, because you are learning to use completely different muscles together, but its a more efficient movement.