PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ease somebody into eating right?

KoolDrew
01-28-2007, 09:22 AM
My girlfriend wants to loose weight and originally our plan was just to follow a decent diet plan and stick with it for a while. However, I am now beginning to think this isn't the best aproach. To just change everything just like that. I was thinking of just taking baby steps and introducing one thing at a time until she meets John Berardis 7 Habits (link (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493)). Like, for example, one of the habits is "Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea." So, maybe we should first just start with that and replacing basically everything with water, but maybe 1 cup of green tea in the morining? While we are taking baby steps do you think we should still track on fitday? Maybe she should just track what she eats normally for a whole week and then I'll post it here and you guys could tell me what she should work on first?

Any tips you guys have that will make the transition into eating right as painless as possible would be very appreciated. Exercise is already covered. We plan on starting weight training (WBB #1) and cardio tomorrow (starting with just SS cardio for like 15 minutes after workouts).

RedSpikeyThing
01-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Yes, baby steps are a great idea and Berardi's 7 habits are great too! Drinking calories is a big no-no that most people fall vitim to. You don't have to go as extreme as just water and green tea. There's nothing wrong with diet sode, no-cal fruit drinks, coffee, etc. I think it's McCain's that makes an awesome no calorie fruit drink.
And to answer your second question, yes you might as well make it a habit to track on fitday. It gives you an idea of what you're actually eating.
Steady state cardio is far from ideal, although it is a good starting point for an untrained person. Read built's article called "How to cardio if you must".

KoolDrew
01-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I know steady state cardio isn't exactly ideal. However, as you said, it's a good starting point for an untrained person. After a few weeks when she's a little more conditioned we will start incoporating HIIT and perhaps Hill-repeats once a week, as outlined in Builts cardio article.

As for nutrition, thanks for that bit of info. So, she whould try to drink only non-calorie beverages such as green tea and the ones you mentioned, correct? I think we'll go with the idea of eating normal for a week and trying to track it on fitday.

EDIT - My girlfriend also loves salt. She puts it on just about everything except sweets. Is this bad for fat loss?

Superman250
01-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Honestly I would ckeck out John Berardi's Gourmet Nutrition Book...and use his 10% rule. Where 10% of all the meals she consumes through the week she can "cheat"...keeps her sane but also keeps it somewhat strict. So for example someone eatting 6 meals/day X 7 days/week= 42 Meals....so out of those 42 meals, 4 of them can be whatever she wants (within reason).

http://www.johnberardi.com/products/gourmet/index.htm

This by far has been my best purchase to lose weight because the meals are RIDICULOUSLY good but healthy at the same time!!

Try it out man, I figured why not it has a money back gaurantee if she don't like it.

KoolDrew
01-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Superman, but I already got the book and I agree it is fantastic. When thinking of meal ideas we'll definitely be looking in there. There's a few things in there I actually can't wait to try, but need to go to the grocery store first, lol.

dblockspky
01-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Easing a person into it is the easy way. My gf complains about her weight all the time. She saw me using fitday once and also remembered me telling her that I set one up for my mother so she could lose weight. She recently asked me to help her set one up and figure everything out so she can lose a little weight. I think stuff like Fitday is one of the best things to have during a period of weightloss. I think one of the biggest problems that people have with losing weight are they aren't really aware how much they are really eating during the day. If you have something like fitday you can track your calories and make sure that you're staying under your calorie limit.

Paul Stagg
01-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Might as well pile on the Berardi bandwagon.

His articles are easy to read, and the 'rules' he gives are clear, easy to follow, and it works.

esailor
01-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Definitely track on fit day. It is the best thing I've done as far as my diet goes. The first week you might be suprised What and how much you might be eating and not realizing. A few cals or carbs here or there add up quickly. I dove in head first a year ago and quit all the crap foods and mt dew and began working out. After never working out in 42 years of life. I did a 12 week program, saw good results and now I think I am addicted.:clap:

Best thing I have ever done for myself!!!

Pete

mickyjune26
01-28-2007, 12:03 PM
definately ease into it. create designated time to talk about what she needs to do, so you don't slip into accidentally nagging. That's the hardest thing for me. i've had many friends say they want to get more fit, but don't do anything to change or just talk about what they heard you should do in order to lose/gain weight.

RedSpikeyThing
01-28-2007, 04:02 PM
As for nutrition, thanks for that bit of info. So, she whould try to drink only non-calorie beverages such as green tea and the ones you mentioned, correct? I think we'll go with the idea of eating normal for a week and trying to track it on fitday.

Yep, anything with zero calories. I think limiting it to only water and green tea is a bit much, especially if she drink's a lot of calories as is.

EDIT - My girlfriend also loves salt. She puts it on just about everything except sweets. Is this bad for fat loss?

It's only bad if she has a pre-existing condition that it will aggrevate. Salt does wonders....it makes other wise bland food taste better :)

Built
01-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Salt is fine. I use a lot of salt when I'm cutting - keeps the muscles hydrated.

How to do cardio if you MUST (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292) has suggestions on how to ease into interval-type training - read the examples - yanno, in the parts that were too long so you glazed over in the first pass ... ;)

And a really, REALLY simple little trick when you start dieting is to switch out any starch for a green, fibrous vegetable. Eat sandwich innards on a salad. Eat curry or spaghetti sauce on broccoli instead of noodles.

KoolDrew
01-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Salt is fine. I use a lot of salt when I'm cutting - keeps the muscles hydrated.

Well, that's good because she loves her salt, lol.

How to do cardio if you MUST has suggestions on how to ease into interval-type training - read the examples - yanno, in the parts that were too long so you glazed over in the first pass ...

I admit it, the first I read through I did skim through it. Then I actually sat down and read the whole thing and am glad I did. I think I'll actually use the example you gave in there to slowly introduce her to HIIT.

And a really, REALLY simple little trick when you start dieting is to switch out any starch for a green, fibrous vegetable. Eat sandwich innards on a salad. Eat curry or spaghetti sauce on broccoli instead of noodles.

Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure to keep those in mind.

Built
01-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Good luck!

RedSpikeyThing
01-28-2007, 06:14 PM

Those are some great ideas, thanks!