PDA

View Full Version : How long before bed should you stop eating carbs?

the_hall
02-15-2002, 07:15 PM
?

CBates
02-15-2002, 07:49 PM
There's no set time to stop eating carbs, but I wouldn't eat carbs in your last meal of the day. Make that one fat and protein. I'd say at least 4-5 hours before bed.

02-15-2002, 08:41 PM
depends on the rest of the diet.

Budiak
02-15-2002, 08:58 PM
It sure does. I never stop eating carbs. Sometimes I have a big bowl of cereal before bed, or some fruit and a glass of milk. Of course I'm bulking right now(successfully for a change). I think even when cutting its a good idea to eat some fruit like an orange immediately before bed, it fills up liver glycogen stores so if the body needs nourishment at night during sleep, it has even further to reach before it eats up muscles.

syntekz
02-15-2002, 09:09 PM
I eat carbs all the way up until I hit the sack.

Par Deus
02-17-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by CBates
There's no set time to stop eating carbs, but I wouldn't eat carbs in your last meal of the day. Make that one fat and protein. I'd say at least 4-5 hours before bed.

What do you base this on?? Carb fairies, perhaps???

max_power
02-17-2002, 04:14 PM
I think it depends on the diet in general. Anyway it's not recommended to have charboidrate a little before of going to bed as then we have rest and we risk not to burn them in a good way as we do in the day.

max_power

Par Deus
02-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by max_power
I think it depends on the diet in general. Anyway it's not recommended to have charboidrate a little before of going to bed as then we have rest and we risk not to burn them in a good way as we do in the day.

If you get the same number of carbs/calories, it does not matter if you get them in the day or the night. You will just make up for the fat loss or lack of during the other time period.

On the other hand, it is likely advantageous, in regards to cortisol and leptin, to have a steady flow of glucose in the blood.

Neil
02-18-2002, 08:43 PM
I have 25g 3-4 hours before bed and that's it.

mdirrane12
02-20-2002, 10:17 AM
The NHE rule is no carbs within 90 minutes of going to bed in order to maximize the nocturnal GH surge.

Par Deus
02-21-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by mdirrane12
The NHE rule is no carbs within 90 minutes of going to bed in order to maximize the nocturnal GH surge.

NHE is very, very far from Gospel.

People would be well advised to quit worrying about GH.

Maki Riddington
02-21-2002, 10:55 AM
On my days off I create a insilun spike before hitting the sack.

02-21-2002, 04:47 PM
maki - why a spike on off days and no spike on training days?

Maki Riddington
02-21-2002, 06:54 PM
Because I usually train several hours before bed anyways.
From what I've read spiking insilun several times a day is a good thing but I haven't found any evidence supporting this statement.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2002, 08:39 AM
do you spike it each day too?

nice way to increase insulin resistance.

do you like diabetes?

max_power
02-22-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Par Deus

If you get the same number of carbs/calories, it does not matter if you get them in the day or the night. You will just make up for the fat loss or lack of during the other time period.

On the other hand, it is likely advantageous, in regards to cortisol and leptin, to have a steady flow of glucose in the blood.

I do not agree with you. If you have carbs in the night you stop the production of the GH hormon that is very important for the muscolar growth. GH hormon is suppressed by the insulin as it's the antagonist hormon of it. So I recommend not to eat carbs in the night because we must take care about the GH hormon that is very active in this particular period.

max_power

Par Deus
02-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by max_power

I do not agree with you. If you have carbs in the night you stop the production of the GH hormon that is very important for the muscolar growth. GH hormon is suppressed by the insulin as it's the antagonist hormon of it. So I recommend not to eat carbs in the night because we must take care about the GH hormon that is very active in this particular period.

max_power

I know what you are saying, I am just saying you are wrong.

Maki Riddington
02-22-2002, 12:10 PM
I agree with Par Deus and Power.
I'll post later Chicken.

unev_en
02-22-2002, 12:11 PM
If Par Deus is correct, which, given the evidence he has presented, I believe he is, then it appears that the ideal pre-bed meal would comprise something like 1/2 cup oatmeal, some good fats, and protein. Yes?

Paul Stagg
02-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Sound fine to me.

I prefer ice cream.

Marcel
02-22-2002, 12:52 PM
Chicken Daddy - you know thaz what I was thinking also as I read all about this spiking yourself after every workout...all this spiking your insulin with high glycemic carbs...i was thinking diabetes too...let's see what other say

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2002, 01:56 PM
I'm telling you, anytime insulin comes into contact with cell receptors they become a little more resistant to it.

Don;t ask for stuides cause i have non right now.

smalls
02-22-2002, 03:53 PM
Chicken,
I agree that your receptors would get more resistant to the effects of insulin. But seriously, it takes most people who develop diabetes, 40+ years of eating absolute crap(the majority of which is processed carbs) to develop diabetes and even then most people still dont. Do you really think my 75 grams of dex 3 times a week is going to give me diabetes, when the rest of my diet is oatmeal, milk, ww bread etc. I personally think that is going way, way, overboard. But, again, thats just me.

Maki Riddington
02-22-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
I'm telling you, anytime insulin comes into contact with cell receptors they become a little more resistant to it.

Don;t ask for stuides cause i have non right now.

*** This would mean we would have a rampage of diabetics on our hands. Insilun is not a bad thing, you just have to know when to manipulate it for bodybuilding purposes

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 07:19 AM
There are several machanisms the body has of increasing insulin sensitivity - but spiking insulin several times over the course of the day is not gonna help you.

"Do you really think my 75 grams of dex 3 times a week is going to give me diabetes, when the rest of my diet is oatmeal, milk, ww bread etc"

I was refering to maki's idea of spiking it several times throughout the day, which is why i asked him if he did this everyday.

"This would mean we would have a rampage of diabetics on our hands"

I believe in about 20-30 years we may have. It's only in the past 30 or so years that products have added sh!t in them like preservatives, sweeteners, more sugars, processed sh!t and more of society are basing their daily diets around them.

Maki Riddington
02-23-2002, 04:46 PM

I believe in about 20-30 years we may have. It's only in the past 30 or so years that products have added sh!t in them like preservatives, sweeteners, more sugars, processed sh!t and more of society are basing their daily diets around them.

*** Yes, this is true but I'm talking from a bodybuilders point of view. Not the general public.
Maybe I can find the reasoning behind this..........

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Yes Maki, but if you're spiking your insulin several times daily then i don't see much difference.

Maki Riddington
02-23-2002, 06:54 PM
Spiking insulin several times a day including your post workout shake results in more of a anabolic state.
The whole goal is to not flood the blood constantly with a large amount of carbs . Otherwise it is then that the body will react by becoming resistant to insulin.
Spiking insulin several times a day with just protein and carbs allows for insulin to drive those carbs and aminos into the muscle cells to create glycogen and protein synthesis.

Remember this is geared towards muscle growth not fat loss.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 07:00 PM
huh?

are you drunk? (I am, but are you?)

Maki Riddington
02-23-2002, 07:09 PM
I'm sorry did my post make no sense?
Btw I'm not drunk yet, give me 3.5 hours and I'll be there.:)

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 07:18 PM
lol, ok. i'll go over your recent post:

"Spiking insulin several times a day including your post workout shake results in more of a anabolic state. "

True.

"The whole goal is to not flood the blood constantly with a large amount of carbs . Otherwise it is then that the body will react by becoming resistant to insulin. "

insulin makes cells more insulin resistant, not carbs. As far as the glycemic index goes, it only takes 50grams of a high GI carb (more than 60-70 on the scale) to spike insulin. This is not exactly a 'flood' of carbs.

"Spiking insulin several times a day with just protein and carbs allows for insulin to drive those carbs and aminos into the muscle cells to create glycogen and protein synthesis. "

It's also perfect conditions for initiating insulin resistance. Whether or not you're driving them in they'll still get there, unless glycogen stores are totally full.

"Remember this is geared towards muscle growth not fat loss."

Well you're not doing yourself any favours for lean gaining, and you're shortening your life span.

Maki Riddington
02-23-2002, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
[B]
"The whole goal is to not flood the blood constantly with a large amount of carbs . Otherwise it is then that the body will react by becoming resistant to insulin. "

insulin makes cells more insulin resistant, not carbs. As far as the glycemic index goes, it only takes 50grams of a high GI carb (more than 60-70 on the scale) to spike insulin. This is not exactly a 'flood' of carbs.

*** Yes, but it is the constant flooding of carbs that lead to insulin being released way too much. This is where insulin resistance comes into play. It all comes down to how sensitive or resistant you are to insulin as well as how full your glycogen stores are. For me I do this because they aren't full so I won't see any spill over to fat storage.

"Spiking insulin several times a day with just protein and carbs allows for insulin to drive those carbs and aminos into the muscle cells to create glycogen and protein synthesis. "

It's also perfect conditions for initiating insulin resistance. Whether or not you're driving them in they'll still get there, unless glycogen stores are totally full.

*** Thats right, so your other meals wouldn't be based around carbs. I would take in low carb and protein and some sort of fat like flax oil or something along that line.

"Remember this is geared towards muscle growth not fat loss."

Well you're not doing yourself any favours for lean gaining, and you're shortening your life span.

*** Some of us go through stages where we lean out and then we gain. So it fits in just perferctly for those that follow this procedure.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 07:40 PM
"Thats right, so your other meals wouldn't be based around carbs. I would take in low carb and protein and some sort of fat like flax oil or something along that line. "

how many carbs?

either way it's still carbs and an insulin response would be provoked. More insulin = more resistance.

I refer you back to you original statement of you spiking insulin several times a day.

I will conceed that there are several ways in which insulin sensitivity can be increased - omega 3 fatty acids for instance.

"Some of us go through stages where we lean out and then we gain. So it fits in just perferctly for those that follow this procedure."

even so, you're not doing your general health any favours.

Maki Riddington
02-23-2002, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
[B]"Thats right, so your other meals wouldn't be based around carbs. I would take in low carb and protein and some sort of fat like flax oil or something along that line. "

how many carbs?

*** As close to none as possible.

either way it's still carbs and an insulin response would be provoked. More insulin = more resistance.

*** Where has it been proven that following what I'm saying leads to a resistance to insulin? Insulin is not evil.

I refer you back to you original statement of you spiking insulin several times a day.

I will conceed that there are several ways in which insulin sensitivity can be increased - omega 3 fatty acids for instance.

"Some of us go through stages where we lean out and then we gain. So it fits in just perferctly for those that follow this procedure."

even so, you're not doing your general health any favours.

*** If you can provide me with some proof that my general health will take a turn for the worse I will gladly accept what you are saying, otherwise............

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 07:53 PM
Like i said earlier, i have no studies to show for it.

I do however, have this: http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/14/insulin.htm

Very interesting.

Maki Riddington
02-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Where the heck are this guys references.
How do I know what he is saying is truthful if he has no references to substantiate his claims?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-23-2002, 08:01 PM
I hear what you're saying, but it's like 3am, i'm drunk and i've just noticed that i have tuna on my leg.

go figure.

Maki Riddington
02-23-2002, 08:04 PM
Lol @ the tuna on the leg. I will give it a read tomorrow.

MonStar1023
02-23-2002, 10:14 PM
The_Chicken_Daddy-
Hehe thats hilarious. "I just noticed tuna on my leg. Go figure" Hehe your a nutcase bro!

:D:D

Sebi
02-24-2002, 04:34 AM
I do it like syntekz. I eat carbs all day. Even late at night. :cool:

MonStar1023
02-24-2002, 07:03 AM
Sebi-
Nice avatar bro. I am assuming that youre trying to bulk then correct?

:cool::cool:

Sebi
02-24-2002, 08:32 AM
Hi monstar,

I had to check a word in my dictionary.

bulbous...
bulge...
bulimia...
bulk... (That's it!) IDM bulk sth out/up - to make sth bigger, thicker or heavier

I'm trying to grow, and then get in shape?
Is that, what you asked?

MonStar1023
02-24-2002, 08:52 AM
Sebi-
Lol bro bulk, I am referring to bulking up. Like trying to get bigger etc. Yeah bro bulking up and on a bulk cycle is like a growth cycle haha.

:cool::cool:

Par Deus
02-24-2002, 09:57 AM

Actually, it is primarily glucose metabolites, via the hexosamine pathway, that makes cells insulin resistant -- not insulin itself. Insulin shifts glucose metabolism toward this pathway. As does saturated fat.

Sebi
02-24-2002, 02:34 PM
Got it! :thumbup:

Actually, I don't have ahm.... cycles. As far as I know, its a period of time, when you gain weight and bf%.
Up to now, everything seems to be allright without bulking up. Am I doing it wrong? Please, do tell me. :)

And thanks for the new vocabulary. :cool: