PDA

View Full Version : Egg whites in shake? Is it safe, cause its good!

Junior
02-15-2002, 09:34 PM
Hello,

I read here before that it is not a good idea can anyone confirm this, and expliain why?

I have tried it and it tastes so awesome, and it is a perfect way to make a wickedly high in protein shake wow.

I want to do it, but dont cause I dont want to get sick! Can anyone confirm if it is potentially harmful to put raw egg whites in a protein shake.

Im telling you the truth it tastes awesome.

syntekz
02-15-2002, 09:45 PM
I can't imagine it tasting good, but whatever you say...

I think Tryska mentioned something about the safety of eating raw eggs. She said that the kind you buy at the grocery stores are ok to eat raw. (Chemicals used or certain processes they go through)

Junior
02-15-2002, 09:51 PM
syntekz try it out, just put one ice cube and a egg white or two, it gets a wicked testure and tastes greeatt, and imagine the potential for protein intake.

im smiling out of excitment right now, can anyone confirm its safe?

Slim Schaedle
02-15-2002, 11:48 PM
and imagine the potential for protein intake
dude, unless you are adding tons of whites, it's not going to add that much more protein. Keep in mind, a white is about only 3 grams protein. I'm not saying don't add them for more protein, but I'm not saying it's gonna be some super shake

aeckhardt
02-16-2002, 12:18 AM
Plus if you don't cook eggs your body can't use all the protein. When you cook them the heat breaks down certain enzymes and allows your body to digest more of the protein.

And like Slim said, you would have to add so many anyway. Just eat some more chicken or tuna.

irish mike
02-16-2002, 01:23 AM
actually egg whites have 6 grams of protein and me and my old roommate would make killer protein shakes with a half dozen eggs a piece mixed in chocolate milk. he was a hard gainer so he put ALL the egg yolks in. from my eggs and his.i never got sick but my old lady heard it could be dangerous so i quit

heathj
02-16-2002, 01:28 AM
Make sure they are pastuerized and all that stuff and that it's impossible to get salmonella from them...

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-16-2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by irish mike
actually egg whites have 6 grams of protein

no they don't.

One large egg white = ~3.5g protein.

The whole egg is closer to 6g [a bit more in reality tho]

there's a 1 in 10k chance of getting salmonella, and that means there's still a chance. Ask Yates about the joys of salmonella poisoning.

TreeTrunks
02-16-2002, 09:42 AM
Egg whites are totally safe to eat just by nature they are. The yolk is the worst part of the egg. It contains all the fat and it can carry samonilla. The egg white cannot house bacteria forgot why but I remember that part in biology class.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-16-2002, 11:12 AM
"The yolk is the worst part of the egg"

~Hands TreeTrunks the most retarded award~

The yolk is predominantly good fats.

The yolk, together with the white, provide an excellent array of amino acids.

the yolk = easy calories for those who find eating hard.

the yolk has most of the vitamins and minerals.

the yolk contains some good ole' cholesterol [albeit quite a lot] but provided the rest of your diet is relatively clean this shouldn;t be a problem. Cholesterol is good for muscle growth haha :)

the yolk = ace.

Short N Buff
02-17-2002, 12:10 AM
"Plus if you don't cook eggs your body can't use all the protein. When you cook them the heat breaks down certain enzymes and allows your body to digest more of the protein.
And like Slim said, you would have to add so many anyway. Just eat some more chicken or tuna."

What does this mean? why would breaking down enzymes help, wah do these enzymes do if uncooked?

TreeTrunks
02-17-2002, 04:28 PM
Chicken daddy, all depends on if your bulking or cutting. I think I would have to hand you the retard award. If you want samonella your firggin' retard and eggs have high cholestrol, LDL that is.

yolk=****

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
If you want samonella your firggin' retard

Oh, and you're giving me the retard award?...

There is no correlation between the cholesterol in eggs and serum levels in humans.

There is however, correlation between saturated fat and serum levels in humans. The amount of saturated fat in eggs compared to good fat is really quite out numbered.

Whole eggs = ace.

TreeTrunks
02-17-2002, 04:45 PM
If you want bacteria well I guess I wll have to give you the award. Maybe one day you'll get a darwin award.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-17-2002, 04:50 PM
wtf you on about?

bacteria?

cooking kills salmonella.

if you're retarded enough to 'under cook' your eggs (something that wouldn't suprise me with you) then it's your own dumb fault.

Egg handling is also very good now, hence the 1 in 10k possibility. Providing you cook that egg then you're singing.

People new to the diet scene who are unsure about eggs are getting the wrong impression from you. Eggs are perfectly decent - great in fact, and i recommend anyone to add them to their diets, unless they have already done so.

TreeTrunks
02-17-2002, 04:54 PM
I don't cook eggs. I just use the egg white. I don't want to denature the protein from cooking it.

People new to the diet scene who are unsure about eggs are getting the wrong impression from you.

This whole site is 500 different opinions. One person does not have that much of am impact bud. a lot of people end up more confused than ever coming to this site that they were before.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-17-2002, 04:56 PM
No f**kin' wonder then!

Slim Schaedle
02-17-2002, 05:06 PM
let's duke it out boys! :)

TreeTrunks
02-17-2002, 05:08 PM
I just can't find any info that says the sat. fat in eggs is healthy and must be consumed. I guess I should try www.bs.gov

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-17-2002, 05:10 PM
I just can't find any info that says the sat. fat in eggs is healthy and must be consumed. I guess I should try www.bs.gov

I didn;t say the sat fat was healthy you retard. I said it was bad!

I didn;t say the cholesterol in eggs was healthy either, but i did say there is no correlation between cholesterol in eggs and human cholesterol levels.

TreeTrunks
02-17-2002, 07:09 PM
But sat. fat has been linked to heart diseases. I think your the one sending mixed messages bud.

MonStar1023
02-17-2002, 08:07 PM
EEWWW!

:omg::omg:

..I cant even start to imagine how disgusting raw egg whites in a nasty a*s protein shake would taste!

TreeTrunks
02-17-2002, 08:14 PM
Thats the beauty, you can't taste the egg whites at all.

Manipul8r
02-17-2002, 08:48 PM
eggs whites w/out yoke = NASTY, egg whites w/yolk = ACE!! verdict says?? YOLKS = ACE!! :)

TreeTrunks
02-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Why is that manip? Taste bad ? or B/c chicken daddy says so?

Manipul8r
02-17-2002, 08:51 PM
no no, b/c i dont like the way whites taste alone, just the texture and general lack of flavor make me want to vomit, never tried them raw though..cant imagine they would be any different.. the only way i can eat egg whites is with YOLK mixed in.. so in MY book YOLKS = ACE!! :)

TreeTrunks
02-17-2002, 09:05 PM
I gottcha. I can't eat raw eggs straight up. I have to mix the eggs in with my protein shake. To me I can't taste a differnece with or without eggs. When I use whole eggs the shake is a little thicker but thats the only difference I can tell.

Jeremy Ray
02-17-2002, 09:41 PM
the gas you'll get from that will kill your roommate and you'll be stuck with all the rent pay...;)

hemants
02-18-2002, 09:39 AM
1. There IS a correlation between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol. It's just not as strong as previously thought and not as strong as the correlation between dietary saturated fat and serum cholesterol.

2. If you want to add egg whites to your shake then either buy pasteurized whites or cook them first.

TreeTrunks
02-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Yeah I have recently found out the awesome power of egg beaters! The down side to egg beaters is that it is very expensive especailly compared to eggs which can be .99 a dozen for extra large eggs when there is a sale.

Eggs may only have 1.5g of saturated fat but when you start eating them a lot of people eat at least 4 eggs and thats 6 grams of sat. fat. The sat. fat keeps piling up until your ateries become like rocks. Its best to have one whole egg and 3 egg whites. Or a 1/2 cup of egg beaters.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-18-2002, 11:34 AM
But sat. fat has been linked to heart diseases. I think your the one sending mixed messages bud.

TT you are a total fukin' spastic.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

There is however, correlation between saturated fat and serum levels in humans.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

I didn;t say the sat fat was healthy you retard. I said it was bad!

Pay attention.

gino
02-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by MonStar1023
EEWWW!

:omg::omg:

..I cant even start to imagine how disgusting raw egg whites in a nasty a*s protein shake would taste!

Like TT said, there is NO taste when you add them to a shake. You can't tell that they're in there. Personally, I've never had any problems adding egg whites to shakes, and although I haven't done it recently because I eat so many boiled eggs, I've added them to hundreds of shakes in the past. I don't know what the probability of salmonella is, though.

gino
02-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Be nice.

The yolk isn't ALL sh!t. Just some. A few egg yolks a day can be beneficial. Many yolks a day can be harmful. Let's leave it at that.

hemants
02-18-2002, 12:36 PM
"A few egg yolks a day can be beneficial. Many yolks a day can be harmful. Let's leave it at that."

Spoken like a true moderator :thumbup:

syntekz
02-18-2002, 08:03 PM
I finally tried this. Added an egg yolk to my night time shake. Tastes great!

TreeTrunks
02-18-2002, 08:07 PM
I can't taste a difference really when I throw eggs in. I put one whole egg and 2 egg whites. Just makes my shakes a little thicker.

Junior
02-18-2002, 09:20 PM
what about if I eat 8-12 whites and 1-2 yolks a day, 2-3 of the whites raw? Is that ok? How many calories in a white again? 20?

TreeTrunks your last qoute is from swordfish, its the main actor talking about his wife... dont know the names though

TreeTrunks
02-19-2002, 12:13 PM
The reason I put ????? at the end of that quatoe is b/c that is an OLLLLDDDD quoate long before swordfish was out. So I don't know the first person who said it was. I think I heard Aisha Tyler say it once. It just popped in my head one day.

Junior
02-19-2002, 08:51 PM
Well, Im sorry, didn't mean to upset you. I thought that was a nice jesture, didn't know if you had seen the movie. I will keep my goddamned mouth shout.

TreeTrunks
02-19-2002, 08:53 PM
Nah you didn't upset me man. I just remember hearing before swordfish came out. I need to apologize if i came across as an ass man. sorry.

Junior
02-19-2002, 08:57 PM
No, you didn't really I was just having fun as well, I enjoy the qoute. SO are my egg eatting habbits up to snuff

Junior
02-19-2002, 08:58 PM
Hey tree, I think your online so ill ask you in this post despite the oddball location... I did legs today and now back is pretty stiff/sore, thinkheavey leg press may have caused it, is there any need to worry?

TreeTrunks
02-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Yeah i'd say thats perfect. Now sure on the calories for egg whites though.

YatesNightBlade
02-20-2002, 02:42 AM
I wouldn't suggest that anyone adds raw eggs to their shakes.

IT PUT ME IN HOSPITAL. I lost 24 pounds of hard earned muscle. I was being fed through a RV and was vomiting and sh!tting my pants every 20 mins. Nasty ..... very very nasty.

syntekz
02-20-2002, 04:51 AM
How many eggs were you eating Yates?

YatesNightBlade
02-20-2002, 05:51 AM
Around 2 - 3.

Manipul8r
02-20-2002, 07:02 AM
whats an RV? dont you mean IV?

YatesNightBlade
02-20-2002, 08:29 AM
Yeah Sorry ..... IV.

gino
02-20-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
I was sh!tting my pants every 20 mins. Nasty ..... very very nasty.

Why didn't you use a toilet stupid

YatesNightBlade
02-20-2002, 09:17 AM
I tried to get there in time on many occasions. In the end I just lied there and crapped. Pretty nice for my mother. (I ws living at home at the time).

gino
02-20-2002, 09:28 AM
You must have been laughing so hard. Crapping your pants is funny, especially when you don't even try to avoid it.

Reinier
02-20-2002, 09:34 AM
that sucks.

*cooks a few dozen of eggs*

YatesNightBlade
02-21-2002, 02:55 AM
Doctor told me if I was a smal child or an old person I could have died ..... so no I wasn't laughting. Although it is pretty funny now. I remember one of my mates coming to see me in hospital and farting. He said "I bet your wish you could do that". I wish I could have without messing myself yeah. lol