PDA

View Full Version : Best time to start a cut for summer?

Questor
01-31-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm sitting around 15.5-16%, and would like to cut to look a little more ripped for summer. I've never 'cut' before - not really - and I'm not sure when I should start? March 1st? That'd give me a two or three months. Think that's enough time to cut down to 11 or 12%? Or am I being an idiot? lol.

It's been a clean bulk - I hear those are easier to shed. And in fact, it's not been a very big bulk. I'll have gained about 20 lbs, and I'll be sitting at about 167 (on March 1st).

Paul Stagg
01-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Now.

Questor
01-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Bummer!

Bicster
01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Its a long process bro, start now and you'll be a month ahead of the game.

WORLD
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah I agree.. Get into proper eating habits and have your routine going early, and by then you'll look great.

ADT
01-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Congratulations on the clean bulk over the holiday season. I bet that was a challenge!

Since you are new to cutting - my advice is the slower the better. In the first week or so you will lose quite a bit of weight (mostly water), but then your goal should be a maximum loss of 1-3 pounds per week. In my experience, anything over 3 pounds per week is pushing it and could lead to muscle loss. This depends on the individual, but it simply isn't worth losing hard earned muscle for a few pounds.

Again, my cut started Sunday and I have cut the wrong way in the past with less than desirable results. The slower the cut - the better.

However, you really do not have that much to lose - so this being your first cut, you may have to make some adjustments along the way. Diet is key: create a caloric deficit, but not too much so that you become "skinny fat" or cheating too often. (Otherwise you will lose too much too fast and/or you won't get the results you want.)

I cut without any cardio, as you can imagine, it takes me awhile as a result.

Do you plan on using supplements during the cut? If so, we can guide you with those as well.

Good luck and you're not alone - a lot of us on this site just started cutting slowly as well!

Best,
Andrew

Cirino83
01-31-2007, 11:06 AM
You are lucky...I still have to bulk more before I cut. (ideally gain another 15-20 lbs) I plan on packing on more weight until the end of Feb, beg of March...then start the cut from wherever I stand.

Questor
01-31-2007, 01:59 PM
You are lucky...I still have to bulk more before I cut. (ideally gain another 15-20 lbs) I plan on packing on more weight until the end of Feb, beg of March...then start the cut from wherever I stand.

That's what I was thinking - putting on another 7 lbs and then starting. Looks like I"ll cut my bulk short and stop at 165.

Any ideas what a good target bf is? 11-12% sound good?