PDA

View Full Version : Can't eat in the morning...

Hoaxy
02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
For some reason on school days no matter how hard I try, I can RARELY get down anything in the morning. On the weekends it is fine. I'm not nervous about school or anything. Anyone know a cure for this? I'm tempted to try an opticen shake, but i'm afraid i'll throw up, like what happends when I usually eat in the morning.

isosceles
02-01-2007, 09:40 PM
suck it up. I used to have the same problem, but I started making shakes and I LOVE it. milk + peanut butter + chocolate protein powder + ice cubes = frozen liquid reese cup.

yes. its a frozen liquid.

Relentless
02-02-2007, 06:57 AM
For some reason on school days no matter how hard I try, I can RARELY get down anything in the morning. On the weekends it is fine. I'm not nervous about school or anything. Anyone know a cure for this? I'm tempted to try an opticen shake, but i'm afraid i'll throw up, like what happends when I usually eat in the morning.

I have a delicate stomach sometimes in the mornings as well (the smell of cooking eggs makes me want to hurl!) and often a protein shake that I can bolt down in one slug is a godsend for getting calories into me without fussing around with food.

As with most things to do with training, in my opinion the best thing you can do is experiment a little and see how your body reacts. Try an Opticen shake and see how it goes. If you hurl, maybe it's not for you.

I also find I prefer a mix of Nitrean and Opticen in the mornings because all-Opticen shakes are pretty thick/rich. I like to thin it out a little with Nitrean so I can drink it down faster and more easily.

Paul Stagg
02-02-2007, 07:43 AM
I used to have the same issues. I also have time constraints in the morning (doesn't everyone?) I have learned to do interesting stuff with eggs in the am when I do have time. I'm also not a big morning eater.

There is no rule that says you have to eat traditional breakfast food in the morning. Eat a hunk of steak and some veggies. Have a meal replacement shake. Do whatever you need to do to get your nutrition.

My current weekday breakfast is either Opticen or Nitrean (depending on a number of factors) and a glass of V8. Optimal? Maybe. Works for me? You betcha.

getfit
02-02-2007, 07:52 AM
I'm the same.I tend to have a shake with oats about 30 mins after I'm up,works well for me.

Mad Martigan
02-02-2007, 08:22 AM
And I thought I was in the minority! I'm generally not very hungry in the morning, and extremely unmotivated for a while. People have already outlined your answer; a nice protein(with oats) or mass shake. My breakfast shake is 1 cup skim milk, 1 scoop EAS chocolate whey, 1/3 cup nonfat powdered milk, 1/2 cup quaker oats. Then I usually eat a banana. I have been eating a bowl of Fiber One as well, but it's getting old fast.

mickyjune26
02-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Definately not in the minority.

I drink a protein shake and then also a cup of OJ.
I make my 1/2 cup a little on the dry side and top it with brown sugar.

By then, I'm ready for 4 eggs, with the yolks in them (fat....i know, i know). I put some fajita seasoning on them, cook them with olive oil and have at it.

the doc
02-02-2007, 08:45 AM
breaking the morning fast is very important. Just think, you haven't eaten in 8-10 hrs and prolonging that is not beneficial. Unless you are on a ketogenic diet, most of your needed energy will come from protein scavenged from your muscles... just defeating your hard work in the gym

WORLD
02-05-2007, 05:54 PM
I have a hard time as well, most mornings. I blend a nice big shake, consisting of oats, milk, PB, honey, water, protein powder, yogurt and a banana. That covers everything, and its easy to drink.

RedSpikeyThing
02-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Morning is a bitch. Fortunately my schedule is such that a mid-morning meal is feasible. I usually have a bagel with lots of peanut butter then go to class with a coffee. By the time my class is over (1-2 hours later) my stomach is fired up and I eat something more substantial.
I would love to down a shake in the morning, but I'm the first one up and I don't think anybody would appreciate waking up the drone of a blender.

WORLD
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I would love to down a shake in the morning, but I'm the first one up and I don't think anybody would appreciate waking up the drone of a blender.

If the blender is really a problem and you want to start enjoying shakes, make them the night before. I was in the same situation, so I started blending them the night before and storing them in a big water bottle in the fridge. Tasted the same.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I'm also not into the whole morning eating thing because my stomach is sensitive during this time. But I eat anyway and I just strayed away from traditional breakfast foods to find something that I could tolerate. Now I don't have anymore problems. Find something that you can stomach in the morning.

Mr. D
02-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Man, the first thing I think of when i wake up is what Im gonna eat. I generally pop out of bed, brush my teeth and head for the kitchen.My first and last meals of the days I look most forward to.

Fredd
02-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I have the same problem...the thing I do is wake up 30 mins before than chilling a lil bit...and then I make a proteine shake and drink it...it passes pretty well.

RedSpikeyThing
02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
If the blender is really a problem and you want to start enjoying shakes, make them the night before. I was in the same situation, so I started blending them the night before and storing them in a big water bottle in the fridge. Tasted the same.

Do you oats in them? I've had problems with oats sinking to the bottom when I drink the shake immediately. I can't imagine the sludge on the bottom of the jug after sitting around for 8 hours...

muscleup
02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Do you oats in them? I've had problems with oats sinking to the bottom when I drink the shake immediately. I can't imagine the sludge on the bottom of the jug after sitting around for 8 hours...

If you are not prepared to chew the oats at the bottom of your shake...
...you are not prepared.

Tofer
02-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I pound back a shake each morning with oats, PB, 2% milk, whey and olive oil right before I leave for class. I usually have to brush my teeth right after, and I come very close to puking up my shake (brushing my teeth makes me gag).

Solid foods in the morning? Not happening. Oatmeal makes me want to hurl and eggs don't sit well in my stomach. Just get used to liquid calories in the morning, and do your best to keep from throwing up. ;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Do you oats in them? I've had problems with oats sinking to the bottom when I drink the shake immediately. I can't imagine the sludge on the bottom of the jug after sitting around for 8 hours...Um...a little tip. Before you add oats to your shake, put the oats into a coffee grinder and grind them until they're a powder. Then add the oat powder to your shake in a blender. No more "sludge".

zela
02-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I can't eat at all for the first hour after waking up. So I just take a Amazing Protein Bar by HahnB (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=63562) with me to school and have one of those 2% milks that I buy in school. Hmmmmm delicous and about 1000 calories!

WORLD
02-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Yup I put oats in. I have a little hand blender, and I will blend for maybe 5 minutes to make sure the oats are grinded well.. Since I leave it in a big Nalgene bottle over night, I simply shake it in the morning. You can close the lid and shake it after every sip too, to make sure the oats don't just sit at the bottom.

WORLD
02-07-2007, 09:27 AM
...you are not prepared.

I hope your not serious...

RenegadeOfFunk
02-07-2007, 09:30 AM
No, he's pretty damn funny :D

Progress
02-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Not a big morning eater here as well. I prefer shakes for breakfast simply because I can't "stomach" solid food.

FYI: 8-12 oz skim milk, scoop of Opticen, scoop of whey isolate and a tsp-tbsp EVOO.

LoneJeeper
03-19-2007, 11:39 AM
...you are not prepared.

awesome. I like it with walnuts.

Jeffreyk
03-19-2007, 11:57 AM
i JUST GET DOWNS MY BCAAS and then wait about an hour.....

MagnaSephiroth
03-19-2007, 06:57 PM
A big problem with the morning is that sometimes your not hungry. You know how if you get really hungry, your tummy gets all upset then after a while your body realizes its not getting food and it goes away? This happens when you sleep as well. For a few years when I was little I would never eat in the morning, I was hungry (reason above) but didnt feel that way. Eat RIGHT before bed, a decent amount, and depending on your metabolism and how much you sleep, you should wake up feeling hungry and thus making it easier to eat.