PDA

View Full Version : Football lifts

bo-da beast71
02-03-2007, 02:00 PM
What are the best lifts for a linemen that is a freshmen in highschool?

rbar89
02-03-2007, 02:39 PM
squat, deadlift, bench, incline bench, powerclean, shoulder press, rows, pullups/chinups, and some tricep and bicep stuff and you'll see awesome gains.

CosmicForce
02-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Bench
Squat
Deadlift
Overhead Press (Military/Push Press)
Power Clean

FortifiedIron
02-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Squat, power clean, deadlift, over head press, pull/ups, chins, dips.. and the list goes on..

Big question without knowing alot of variables.

Kc

BigRic
02-03-2007, 04:05 PM
I think it's good to use deadlifts to get a base, but after you can deadlift a decent weight 360-400 pounds i'd drop them out and focus on powercleans and other olympic lifts.

danny81
02-04-2007, 02:50 PM
not many freshman can deadlift 400 pounds

Guido
02-05-2007, 08:32 AM
not many freshman can deadlift 400 poundsI know 130 lb guys that can deadlift 400 lbs, so I think a football lineman could, even if he's just a freshman.

But yeah, focus on the major overall strength building lifts: deadlift, squat, power cleans, clean and press, and pullups. Those will get you big and strong.

RedSpikeyThing
02-05-2007, 09:07 AM
I saw some rugby players at my gym using the "jammer". I'd never seemed this contraption in use before, but it looks like it would be good for football.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz59b.jpg
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz59c.jpg

I was scared because the beast using it had about my bodyweight on it.

BigRic
02-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Theres actually a better way to do this than using the machine. You have to go one arm at a time though. Take a barbell put it in a corner so it's at a 45 degree angle to either wall. Then lift it up and do an explosive movement extending ur hips and arms fully. We call them Free Jammers. it'll activate more muscles because you have to stabilize the bar as ur exploding it out.

dude34
02-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Day 1
Trap Bar Deads
Front Squats
Weighted Decline Sit-ups
Weighted Reverse Hyperextension
DB Incline Press
One Arm Rows
Upright Rows
Negative Weighted Chins
Toe Raises (Deep Stretch, Standing)

OFF

Day 2
Sled Pulls, tire flips, Farmer Walks, Plyometrics, Weighted Stair Steps, Plyo-Push-ups, Rock Carries, Rock throws... you get the picture.

OFF

Day 3
One Leg Squats or Walking Lunges (Get Deep)
Leg Curls
Power T's (1 Min Hold each side, add weight every week)
Weighted Push-ups
Pull-Ups
Military Press Front (Bring all the way down to top of chest, I see a lot of people cheat on this one, don't use you legs)
Negative Dips
Toe Raises (Standing)

OFF
OFF

Football players are made on the field. Play catch, work on form tackling, condition (Plyometrics on lifting days, before lifting, 3-4 hours before lifting concentrate on lateral movement if possible, weightlifting is linear primarily. Track work, cone work on non-lifting days take off at least one day week completely.) Get a partner.

Rep Sequence (Change every two weeks, record weight, reps)
3 x 12
3 x 10
3 x 8
3 x 5
You should be using a lot more weight on your 2nd time through, and then your 3rd, your 4th etc...

Good Luck

danny81
02-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Try and do bill starrs 5x5 great routine( or so I heard)

teenathlete3030
02-06-2007, 08:05 PM
I only know one guy that could deadlift 400 as a freshman, and he was ripped, 175-180 pounds at the time.

Go to biggerfasterstronger.com and type in the numbers. They have a chart that tells you where your lifts are at.

ericg
02-07-2007, 05:25 AM
Theres actually a better way to do this than using the machine. You have to go one arm at a time though. Take a barbell put it in a corner so it's at a 45 degree angle to either wall. Then lift it up and do an explosive movement extending ur hips and arms fully. We call them Free Jammers. it'll activate more muscles because you have to stabilize the bar as ur exploding it out.

It is almost like a front squat into an overhead press aka thruster. The angle is different but I would bet the results would be the same if not better with Big Ric's version or doing thrusters since there are no machines involved so all the stabilization and balance is from YOU, not the machine. More functional I would think.

RhodeHouse
02-07-2007, 06:20 PM
I really like the ideas behind the BiggerFasterStronger method. The most important thing for a high school footbal player is core work. Make sure your back and abs are real strong. I don't like using a whole lot of exercises with young kids because they haven't necessarily mastered the core movements. I would recommend this:

MONDAY
Squat (heavy)
Bench or Incline Bench (light)
Push Press (standing military with leg drive)
Lat Pulldowns
Seated Rows
Weighted Ab Work
Low Back Work

WEDNESDAY
Trap Bar DL or Leg Press
Romanian DL
Pull-ups
Shrugs
45 degree back raises
Weighted Ab Work
Side Bends

FRIDAY
Squat (light)
Bench (heavy)
Lat Pulldowns (change grip)
DB Clean and Press from the floor
Seated Rows (change grip)
Weighted Ab Work
Low Back Work

Just an idea. Keep it simple for young kids. Their bodies are primed to get bigger and stronger, so EVERYTHING will work. Form is an absolute must, before any weight can be added to the bar. Form rules over anything else.

Bupp
02-15-2007, 02:38 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that you are going to want to save the last 4 weeks before the season starts to convert all your strength gains into power/power-endurance.

loftin12393
02-18-2007, 09:44 PM
The Big Three
Squats, Power Clean, Bench Press
Then you could do
Deadlifts, T Bar Rows, Dips

Squats will help you the most in finishing plays and the better the endurance the more bulldozing in the 4th quater and racking up pancakes which are fun. Also what helped me the most to dominate oppenents all through the year speed off the ball beat them to it you will destroy.

Jinkies
02-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I only know one guy that could deadlift 400 as a freshman, and he was ripped, 175-180 pounds at the time.

Go to biggerfasterstronger.com and type in the numbers. They have a chart that tells you where your lifts are at.

That website is lame, wouldnt let me input my weight for the ironman ranking.

Squat only goes to 500? What gives