PDA

View Full Version : Un-fatting the Viking

VikingWarlord
02-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Since I like using myself as a lab rat, I decided to give this PSMF thing a whirl. I also decided to keep a log of this one just so I have to make myself stick to it.

After reading Lyle's book twice, seems I've got an alright grip on how this thing is supposed to go. I'm planning my first one to be a 3 week cycle beginning today and ending on Saturday, Feb 24 and then have a 2 week full break. This will coincide with the Arnold Classic weekend.

According to the book, I fit in Category 2, so I'm allowed 1 free meal and 1 5 hour refeed per week. Still trying to decide how to schedule these things. Based on my current composition (257 @ 25%), the guidelines in the book say that I'm supposed to be aiming for about 241g of protein daily (category 2 = 1.25g/lb LBM). This is going to be really hard to hit, since I had a hell of a time hitting 1g/lb on my previous diet, but I'll do what I can. Since I'm a geek, I've built myself a real basic spreadsheet containing the foods I'll be throwing down and their macronutrient breakdowns for easy reference and because I can't stand using Fitday. I need to break out the food scale again and start keeping far more accurate measurements.

Throughout this thing, I'll be supplementing with Thermocin, Multi-Plus, Creatine 500 (so I'm an ALN slut...sue me), and some generic-ass fish oil pills from Wal-Mart. Only drug I use is Excedrin...unless you want to count Melatonin.

Lastly, I think I'm going to post one update at the end of every day just so I can keep down the clutter and get an entire day in one post. I'm fully expecting to have to make adjustments on the fly and really look forward to feedback from those of you that actually know what you're doing. Now the background crap is out of the way, we're off to the races.

VikingWarlord
02-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Here's the first update, I meant to do this a while ago but got busy.

As for training, I'm going to try to stick with the split I've been doing. Sunday is Chest/Triceps/Shoulders and goes something like this:

Flat Bench - 1x10 warmup, 3x6 working
Incline DB bench - 3x6
Seated DB military press - 2x8
DB lateral raises - 2x8
Cable Tricep pushdowns - 2x8

I'm a fan of lifting short but as heavy as possible just before failure. Tuesday is legs and Thursday is back/biceps.

---------------------------------

Day 1 Eats (values coming from labels and online resources):

Meal 1:
2 pickle halves (0 cal, 2g Fiber)
1 Scoop chocolate Nitrean in water (110 cal, 24g protein)
4 hard boiled egg whites (68 cal, 16g protein)
2 fish oil capsules (20 cal, 2g fat)
Total: 198 cal, 40g protein

Meal 2 (post workout):
2 5oz cans tuna with Frank's Red Hot (300 cal, 65g protein)
2oz Baby spinach and Radicchio salad (20 cal, 1g sugar, 2g fiber, 2g protein) and 1 Tbsp Roasted Garlic rice vinegar (20 cal, 5g sugar)
Total: 360 cal, 67g protein

Meal 3:
8oz skinless chicken breast (220 cal, 46g protein, 5g fat)
1 slice fat-free american cheese (30 cal, 5g protein, 2g sugars)
2 pickle halves (0 cal, 2g Fiber)
Total:

"Meal" 4 (1 hour before bed):
2 scoops chocolate Nitrean in water (220 cal, 48g protein)

Other stuff throughout the day:
~1.5 gallons water
Green tea, unsweetened

Totals for Sunday:
1048 cal
206g protein
6 g fiber

Day 1 observations:
-First: I'm not really that hungry, I expect that'll set in later.
-Second: That garlic rice vinegar is ****ing nasty. It was a chore to eat that salad. I'm not doing that again.
-Third: I obviously didn't plan meals as well as I could have. Protein is still over 1 g/lb, but I'd like to increase that while dropping other things and trying to keep the whole total under 1100 cal.
-Finally: I'm still not 100% certain how to count vegetables. Some people count them, some people don't. The book makes it sound like the non-starchy ones are basically free even though they do still have a caloric content. Reading lots of information and I'll figure it out.

Spourk
02-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Good luck viking. im currently doing a PSMF also ... and today i felt like **** so i used a free meal(im category 3 yeah a fatass) it gets rough a few days in 2nd week isnt to bad. im started week 3 tomorrow, Started at like 253ish im down to 236 (most being water but hey) so its pretty quick. all i can say is stick with it... you wont have much energy!! Again Good Luck!

Edit: Im using Nitor, MultiPlus, Nitrean, and Creatine 500 ALN slut as well haha

Jordanbcool
02-05-2007, 08:11 AM
I follow the PSMF diet almost exclusively. Its not for everyone, but if you can really shoulder through the crappy parts you can lose a ton of weight in a matter of weeks. Most of it will be fat too.

Right now I'm down to a depleted 205 from 229 a month ago.

If you need any help or advice with this just PM me.

Stumprrp
02-05-2007, 08:17 AM
good luck viking that looks solid

VikingWarlord
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Day 2:

Woke up, took a whiz, and weighed myself. Reading through the book and other logs and whatnot, I expected to see a fairly large drop because of water weight, but I was down to 256.5...half a pound. I'm not exactly sure what to think of that. Could it be the creatine helping to retain that water?

Today is not a training day.

Foodstuffs

Meal 1:
6 egg whites
1 slice fat free American cheese
1 scoop Nitrean in water
2 fish oil caps
Total: 262 cal, 53g protein

Meal 2:
8 oz skinless chicken breast
2 fish oil caps
Veggies
Total: 270 cal, 51g protein

Meal 3:
10 oz tuna and 3 hard boiled egg whites on a spinach and radicchio salad with lemon juice
2 fish oil caps
Total: 371 cal, 77G protein

Bedtime:
2 scoops Nitrean in water
Total: 220 cal, 48g protein

8 20oz bottles of water (1.25 gal)
Green tea

Monday totals:
1123 cal
229g protein

Note: I know that the preferred method of intake is whole food, but the Nitrean makes it a little more convenient, plus if I eat before bed, I have a hard time sleeping.

Day 2 observations:

1. Hungrier than yesterday by a considerable margin. This is going to suck hard. I think I'm going to take a free meal on Wednesday and a refeed on Saturday.

2. Intake was balanced better than yesterday, I think. Still need to work in more veggies, a bit more protein, and maybe some better dairy. I may need to rework the target macros.

3. The waxing last night has me all screwed up today. I'm ungodly cold all the time and it feels like a razor burn. If you haven't yet, go to the pics and videos forum and see the comedy.

4. I'm starting to get a bit irritable.

Spourk
02-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Enjoy the hunger of PSMF it sucks. You will see more of a drop in water weight within the next few days it isnt instant. you will be atleast 7-8 pounds less by next week. I myself need to get a substantial amount of more veggies. not a big veggie person so i usually shrug them off.

VikingWarlord
02-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Day 3:

Felt like hell when I woke up. This morning I weighed in at 254.5, down 2 lbs over yesterday.

teh fud:

Meal 1:

6 hard boiled egg whites
1 scoop Nitrean in water
2 fish oil caps
Total: 232 cal, 48g protein

Meal 2:
10 oz tuna on Spinach and red leaf lettuce salad
2 fish oil caps
Total: 320 cal, 65g protein

Meal 3:
Veggies
2 fish oil caps

Bedtime:

Other stuff:
Green Tea
1.5 gal water
2 sticks Orbit gum (5 cal each)

Total for Tuesday:
1052 cal
212g protein

Today should be leg day but isn't today because we're under a snow emergency. My leg day volume isn't terribly high, but it doesn't need to be. If anyone has any ideas for improvement, feel free. Here's what I would be doing if the weather didn't completely suck.

Squats - 2x8 warmup, 2x8 working
Good Mornings - 3x8
Standing barbell calf raises - 2x10

Day 3 observations:

1. Sugar Free Orbit is helping to control hunger. Granted, it's got 5 cal per piece from sugar alcohols, but I'm willing to spare those extra 5 to not feel like complete ****.

2. That tuna and spinach salad is pretty sweet ass and keeps me relatively full for a while.

Thanks everyone that's replied. If anyone has any input or suggestions, feel free to share since I have only a rough idea of what I'm doing.

Stumprrp
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
solid diet homes

VikingWarlord
02-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Day 4:

Weighed in at 254.5 again today. Having a craptacular day so I'll keep it short. I'd be surprised if many people read this anyway.

Meal 1:

6 egg whites
1 scoop Nitrean in water
2 fish oil caps
Total: 232 cal, 48g protein

Meal 2:
9oz Tuna on salad
2 egg whites
2 fish oil caps
Total: 294 cal, 62g protein

Meal 3:
2 fish oil caps

Bedtime:
Hell, I'm sure you know this by now.

Green tea
1.5 gal water
1 stick Orbit gum (5 cal)

Wednesday totals:

1021 cal
209g protein

Observations:

1. Getting way easier. I really hope this is worth it though. Every time I hear someone talking about food, I salivate like Pavlov's dogs.

2. I haven't really cared much about junk food in quite a while, but started craving all kinds of crap like pizza, fried chicken, and donuts specifically.

Spourk
02-07-2007, 08:55 PM
oh wow man .... thats unusual i was craving krispy kreme donuts like crazy!!!! haha

offhegoes03
02-07-2007, 09:18 PM
damn man, good luck with the diet. looks like you're sticking to it so far, so keep up the good work. good thing you're not in my nutrition class. It's right around lunch time and it always leaves me starving.

VikingWarlord
02-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Day 5:

Weighed in at 252 this morning. Down 5 lbs in 4 days, no idea about how that breaks down.

I know there's 16 days left on the first cycle of this bitch, but a plan is being formulated for the end. Depending on what kind of results I see at the end, we'll see if another cycle is worth it. At the least, I'll be using it as a kickstart to a more moderate cut.

Meal 1:
6 egg whites
1 slice American cheese
Nitrean in water
2 fish oil caps

Meal 2:
I took a free meal. Footlong Subway Club on wheat with double meat, provolone, and an assload of veggies. Don't care what the calorie count is.

That sub actually filled me up for a good long while. As it's now just before bed, I put down an 8 oz chicken breast and a slice of cheese (250 cal, 51g protein), but that sandwich was bigger than I thought.

Other stuff:
~2 gal water
1 stick Orbit

Daily Total: Because of the free meal, I dunno.

At the gym, Thursday is back day.

Deadlift: 1x8 warmup, 3x6 working
Barbell Shrugs: 3x6
Barbell Rows: 2x8
SLDL: 2x8
DB Rows: 2x8
Lat pulldowns to chest: 2x8

Observations:

1. That sub was the best thing I've ever eaten after 5 days on this diet. Probably overdid it a bit, but I loaded up on veggies, and it's not like it was greasy ****.

2. The workout was kind of sad, but I had a better deadlift day than I have in quite some time. Not sure how I managed that with such a low food intake, but I'll take what I can get.

Tomorrow, I go visit my parents. Got my mom prepared, so she's going to have things I can eat when I get there. My mom = teh pwn.

VikingWarlord
02-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Day 6:

What a horrible god damn day it's been. Glad it's the weekend. No training until Sunday.

Meal 1:
7 egg whites
1 scoop Nitrean
2 fish oil caps
Total: 249 cal, 52g protein

Meal 2:
8oz chicken breast
2 fish oil caps
1 cucumber
Total: 240 cal, 46g protein

Meal 3:
10oz white albacore tuna on lettuce/red cabbage/random greens salad
2 fish oil caps
Total: 370 cal, 75g protein

Bedtime:
2 scoops Nitrean

Almost 2 gal water
Lots of green tea

Daily total: 1079 cal, 221g protein

Observations:

1. Irritability is peaking again. About to smash someone's face in at work.

2. Refeed tomorrow. Definitely. Tomorrow.

VikingWarlord
02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Weekend updates for Days 7 and 8:

Day 7:

Not sure of morning weight, I was staying with my parents and they don't own a scale.

I didn't really track anything, though I know I didn't eat much all day just because I felt like ****.

Day 8:

Weighed in at 251.

Instead of a refeed, I took a really really big free meal. Went out with my band to an Italian place where I ate the hell out of some Garlic Mozarella bread, big house salad, Fettuccine Alfredo, Lasagna, and Chicken Marsala. pwn.

Before the giant meal, I had:

6 egg whites and 1 whole egg
1 slice fat free American Cheese
8oz canned chicken
Veggies

Today was chest/triceps/shoulders day. Basically the same routine as last week, just switching it to all sets of 6.

VikingWarlord
02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Day 9:

Weighed in at 252.5. Only up a pound and a half after the massive intake. Because of a serious time crunch (woke up way late), I didn't get to eat a real breakfast.

Meal 1:

2 fish oil caps
(240 cal, 48g protein)

Meal 2:
8 oz chicken breast
veggies
(270 cal, 51g protein)

Meal 3:
10 oz tuna on spinach salad with 6 egg whites
2 fish oil caps
(422 cal, 89g protein)

Bedtime:
1 scoop Nitrean
(110 cal, 24g protein)

1.5 gal water
1L Diet Coke
Green tea

Day 9 total:
1042 cal
212g protein

This week will be tracked better. It was a real bad weekend.

Sidior
02-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Things really seem to be on track. Best of luck with your goals man. I would rather gouge my eyes out than do a PSMF.

VikingWarlord
02-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Things really seem to be on track. Best of luck with your goals man. I would rather gouge my eyes out than do a PSMF.

Thanks. I don't really have any specific goals as far as the PSMF is concerned just because I don't really know what's feasible. It sucks, but it gets easier. The worst part is the severe limitations in what you can have. Tuna and chicken gets really old after a week straight.

Stumprrp
02-13-2007, 02:17 PM
keep it up viking your doing real well IMO

Sidior
02-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks. I don't really have any specific goals as far as the PSMF is concerned just because I don't really know what's feasible. It sucks, but it gets easier. The worst part is the severe limitations in what you can have. Tuna and chicken gets really old after a week straight.

dude whey!!!! just drink that **** yo

VikingWarlord
02-13-2007, 02:55 PM
dude whey!!!! just drink that **** yo

3 scoops of Nitrean a day.

Spourk
02-13-2007, 03:41 PM
I hear ya viking. I dread opening that can of tuna now haha. chicken im fine with still though. Hang in there its worth it! Good job so far

VikingWarlord
02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I hear ya viking. I dread opening that can of tuna now haha. chicken im fine with still though. Hang in there its worth it! Good job so far

I just put down 2 cans of tuna, 2 egg whites, and 3 oz of spinach and radicchio with onion. Covered it in Frank's Red Hot, garlic salt, and black pepper. It was passable. At least I'm not hungry anymore. :D

Spourk
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
haha yeah, i just had 1 can of tuna with mustard, makes it more bearable.

Unholy
02-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Sucka I havent been in here yet, It totally missed me when I went into journal land the past few days. Your doing awesome so far. Since your so close to my height/weight/progress etc Im curious how this will go for you!

VikingWarlord
02-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Sucka I havent been in here yet, It totally missed me when I went into journal land the past few days. Your doing awesome so far. Since your so close to my height/weight/progress etc Im curious how this will go for you!

It's always kind of weirded me out how alike we were. I'm pretty interested to see how this experiment will work out as much as anyone.

VikingWarlord
02-13-2007, 07:20 PM
And today's update:

Day 10:

Weighed in at 252.

Snowed like hell all night, roads were in real bad shape this morning, so I called in to work. They knew that most of the center would, so it wasn't that big a deal. It's hard to sit here all day and not eat.

Meal 1:
6 egg whites
1 slice fat free cheese
1 scoop Nitrean
2 fish oil caps

Meal 2:
8 oz chicken breast
1 slice fat free cheese
2 fish oil caps
Veggies

Meal 3:
Tuna on spinach with 2 egg whites
2 fish oil caps
Total: 354 cal, 73 g protein

Bedtime:
2 scoops Nitrean
220 cal, 48g protein

Lots of water
Green and black tea

Day 10 totals:
1106 cal
225g protein

Today was legs. Very simple, basic workout.

Squats: 1x8 warmup, 2x6 working
Barbell calf raises: 3x8
Good Mornings: 2x8

Whole thing took about 25 minutes with some good, long (2-3 minutes) rest periods between sets.

Like I said, this thing is getting old, but I'm pushing through it. The hunger isn't really a problem, it's just...old, for lack of a better word.

Jordanbcool
02-13-2007, 08:38 PM
It can get dull after a while but I would stick to it if I were you. The fat loss can be huge motivation, atleast thats how I saw it.

I got sick of chicken and water a long time ago but I just grind through it I guess. Getting lean for this summer is much more important then a few months of blah....

Edit: I like your diet. Its totally perfect. Good job.

VikingWarlord
02-14-2007, 04:22 PM
It can get dull after a while but I would stick to it if I were you. The fat loss can be huge motivation, atleast thats how I saw it.

I got sick of chicken and water a long time ago but I just grind through it I guess. Getting lean for this summer is much more important then a few months of blah....

Edit: I like your diet. Its totally perfect. Good job.

Thanks. I read the book twice through and reread a couple other sections. I'm wondering if my progress should be moving faster, but I'm not sure. We'll see when it's all over.

Spourk
02-14-2007, 06:10 PM
yeah ive slowed down alot but i have gotten a little less strict. You should lose atleast 2 - 3 pounds a week.

VikingWarlord
02-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Day 11:

Weighed in at 252 again today.

Got ****ed out of another day's pay at work. Sat around and tried to be productive, got the basic layout for my new website done and started trying to design a good site for my band, because the current one sucks. Anyhow, that's not why you're here.

Food-like items:

Meal 1:
6 egg whites
1 slice fat free cheese
1 scoop Nitrean
2 fish oil caps

Meal 2:
9oz tuna on baby lettuce mix with Frank's Red Hot and some other random stuff
2 fish oil caps
Total: 260 cal, 54g protein

Meal 3:
8oz chicken breast
A whole lot of steamed broccoli
2 fish oil caps
Total: 220 cal, 46g protein

Bedtime:
Nitrean x 2

Drank nothing but water, had 1 stick of Orbit.

Total for Day 11:
967 cal
201g protein

Today was pretty low. I'm not really sure why. I'll probably take another free meal at lunch tomorrow since it's another workout day. It worked well for me last week. Just past the halfway point on this first cycle, we'll see how it goes for the next half.

Jordanbcool
02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Can you think of any reason why you're so low?

You should weigh something under 250 atleast. For someone your size....ten pounds of water weight is almost a given. :scratch:

Do this. For a few days drink a ton of water. But not so much that we find out you die from it. Then after this weeks up cut your water intake in half and see how much weight you lose.

I've never seen water retention like this lol.

What do your cheat meals look like?

VikingWarlord
02-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Can you think of any reason why you're so low?

You should weigh something under 250 atleast. For someone your size....ten pounds of water weight is almost a given. :scratch:

Do this. For a few days drink a ton of water. But not so much that we find out you die from it. Then after this weeks up cut your water intake in half and see how much weight you lose.

I've never seen water retention like this lol.

What do your cheat meals look like?

The water retention may be due to the creatine. That's what I'm thinking. I may discontinue use for a few days to see. I've also been dieting for a good long while. A whole lot of water was gone when I started this thing.

Cheat meals usually aren't anything bad. Last week, I had a double meat Subway club on wheat with provolone and loaded on veggies, which I'll probably do again today. Sunday I had a bunch of pasta, salad, garlic bread, and chicken marsala.

As for more water...a gallon and a half seems to be about the limit I can fit in me over a day. Add another liter on a workout day, but that's about it. I've tried to do more and just vomited it back up.

Jordanbcool
02-15-2007, 07:52 AM
O ok.

I feel bad lol. My cheat meals were probably 10 times worse.....Greasy burgers most of the time.

VikingWarlord
02-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Double update here:

Day 12:

Weighed in at 250.5. I think that I'm going to discontinue creatine use for a couple days to see if that's what was causing the water retention that Jordan pointed out.

Meal 1:
Same thing as every other day for the last week.

Meal 2:
Double meat footlong Subway Club on wheat with Provolone, loaded with lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles with a bit of salt and pepper.
Bag of Baked Lays
2 Fish Oil caps
Estimated total: 1000 cal, 65g protein

Meal 3:
16oz chicken breast
1 slice fat free cheese
2 fish oil caps
Total: 490 cal, 97g protein

7 1L bottles of water
Diet Coke from Subway

Day 12 total:
1752 cal (roughly)
215g protein (roughly)

Today should normally be back day, but I had things I had to get done so I skipped out on the gym tonight. Looks like no back day this week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 13:

Weigh in at 253. Second day discontinuing creatine use. I have a feeling I'll see a larger water weight fluctuation now.

Meal 1:
6 egg whites
Nitrean
Fat free cheese
2 fish oil caps

Meal 2:
9oz tuna, baby lettuce mix
2 fish oil caps

Meal 3:
10oz tuna, baby lettuce mix
2 fish oil caps
Total: 320 cal, 65g protein

Bedtime:
2 scoops Nitrean

Day 13 total:
1062 cal
20g protein

No workout until Sunday. I think I'm going to try an all liquid day tomorrow just because I can. If I do 10 scoops of Nitrean spread through the day with the 6 fish oil caps, that ends up being 1160 cal and 240g protein. Mostly I'm thinking about going this route because I feel like being lazy and Nitrean is the only thing I've been eating that I'm not completely ****ing sick of.

Down to just 8 days now.

VikingWarlord
02-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Weekend (days 14 and 15):

Tracked really badly. I took a big free meal on Saturday night with the family. Had a Bison burger and a whole lot of salad, and it was great. As I recall, bison is like 95% lean, so that made me happy.

Everything else, I'm not sure of. Had a real bad weekend, Didn't get to the gym. I actually think I'm going to take this week off to focus on getting some personal business finished up.

Day 16 (Monday):

Weighed in at 247.5. Looks like stopping the creatine helped with the water loss, but that raises other questions I have to look into.

Meal 1:
6 egg whites
1 scoop Nitrean
2 fish oil caps
Total: 232cal, 48g protein

Meal 2:
10 oz canned chicken
Spring mix salad
2 egg whites
2 fish oil caps
Total: 334cal, 60g protein

Meal 3:
12oz chicken breast
Steamed Broccoli
2 fish oil caps
Total: 350 cal, 69g protein

Bedtime:
2 scoops Nitrean

1.5 gal water
Green tea

Daily total:
1136 cal
225g protein

Got the post-diet regimen sorted out. I decided to take an all day refeed on Saturday, then starting Sunday I'll ramp back up to maintenance by adding 250-300 cal per day. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and that makes it easier to keep going.

VikingWarlord
02-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Day 17:

Weighed in at 248.

Meal 1:
2 scoops Nitrean
2 fish oil caps
Total: 250 cal, 48g protein

Meal 2:
9oz Tuna on baby lettuce mix
2 fish oil caps

Meal 3:
5 egg whites and 1 whole egg scrambled with onion
1 slice fat free cheese
8oz chicken breast
2 fish oil caps
Total: 425 cal, 78g protein

Bedtime:
2 scoops Nitrean

1.5 gal water
1L Diet Coke

Daily total:
1155 cal
228g protein

I forgot to go shopping last night like I wanted to, so today's meals were whatever I could scrape together. It's only Tuesday but already looking forward to the weekend and the maintenance phase.