PDA

View Full Version : Eating Late...

Nosaj
02-04-2007, 12:38 PM
So I was just looking at the locked maryjane thread a few posts down and I noticed some people were saying it was a bad idea to eat after 10pm (i.e. late)... but I personally eat two cups of cottage cheese right before I go to bed to help avoid any muscle loss while sleeping. So which is it, is eating late = fat loss, or does having a nice clean meal right before bed help keep the body anabolic? I've always thought the latter, but if someone can prove me otherwise I'd be greatly appreciative.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-04-2007, 02:01 PM
When you eat is irrelevant. Eating after 10 does not have any affect on fat storage or anything of that nature. In fact, eating before bed is a very good idea since you'll be in a catabolic stage of fasting until you awake. Most of your muscle tissue repair occurs during sleep, so it's vital that you give fuel to your body to perform this process.

When you eat does not matter. What matters is your total calories for the day.

KoolDrew
02-04-2007, 05:31 PM
When you eat does not matter.

With the exception of meals within the workout window, correct?

Optimum08
02-04-2007, 05:39 PM

he was basically talking about all that matters is calories in versus calories out throughout the day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-04-2007, 06:24 PM
:withstupi

With the exception of meals within the workout window, correct?With the exception of pre-/post-workout nutrition, yes...but that's a separate topic.

Slim Schaedle
02-04-2007, 11:20 PM

My Second question is about the Anabolic window that happens right after you lift. I understand how protien intake is very important during this time, but what is happening with that protien during this time? A lot of other articles I've read state that almost all muscle building occurs at night during sleep. Is this true?

Thanks

Unless you're in a starved state and haven't eaten anything solid for 24 hours, or have just somehow depleted ALL the glycogen in your body (you'd be dead) chances are you have more than enough amino acids in your gut being digested to assist in repair, and enough carbohydrates to prevent immediate catabolism.

Most important thing to get in is a small amount of simple carbohydrates to bring your blood sugar back up quickly. You'll feel better. But other than that, the post-workout shake is one of the biggest pieces of marketing hype ever thrown out by supp companies.

This is not to say they're useless for endurance athletes, bodybuilders or strength athletes who are cutting weight, etc... nor is it to say that electrolyte/carb recovery drinks are worthless.

But don't worry about the silly anabolic window. It's not an window. It's a god damn barn door that you can fit a truck through, and it's always open.

And maltodextrin... has too many different structures depending on the starch it's derived from, but essentially they are all processed quickly and easily by the gut, quickly stripped down into various simple sugars for processing. Of course, there are issues regarding malto versus dextrose concentrations in sports drinks for dehydrated athletes (osmolality issues, etc.), but those are nothing to worry about unless you're taking in your malto in a dehydrated, critical state.

So, essentially, there's no difference between using malto and using dextrose.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-04-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm glad the window is actually a barn door. ;)

Optimum08
02-05-2007, 04:08 PM
im glad i've learned to concentrate more on the pre/during workout nutrition/shake and not so much the post, although i still do take a post-workout shake.

Mr. D
02-05-2007, 04:28 PM
When lifting heavy with long rest time, the whey/dex shake to sip on is a savior.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-05-2007, 07:29 PM
I haven't tried sipping a shake during my workouts. I'll have to try that. I did sip some CytoSport fruit punch drink during my workout though, and that gave me a lot more energy. I haven't done that in a while.

And I'm glad to be reminded that the body will use what it needs to use and to relieve a little stress from my mind with this comforting thought. I get obsessive with my diet sometimes in regards to "when" I should eat.