PDA

View Full Version : Lifting for 5 months with no serious diet, just stepped it up, tell me what you think

sleeplessaddict
02-05-2007, 07:24 AM
I have been lifting for a while now maybe 5 months i believe, and have made so-so gains. I was 140 when i started, around 17% body fat, and im 165 @ 15%. I drank protein shakes and what not but I really hadn't a clue what I was doing.

As of now, my buddy advised me to try a carb cycling diet, with splitting my fat and my carbs.

For instance, on a workout day I would -

Meal 1 - Fat / Protein (6 am) Deer steak and eggs - multi vitamin (gnc mega man 2 a day)
Meal 2 - Fat / Protein (9 am) Deer steak
Meal 3 - Fat / Protein (12 am) Protein and Extra virgin olive oil
Meal 4 - Fat / Protein (2 pm) deerburger - multi vitamin

- Pre workout shake (430pm) - 1 scoop protein - 1 scoop dextrose (sugar stuff)
workout
- post workout shake - 2 scoops dex - 2 scoops protein - tblspn creatine monohydrate

1 hr after work out - carb / protein - 3/4 lb pasta - crushed tomatoes w/ garlic - 1 glass v8 juice - 2 scoops protein

2 hrs later - Fat/ Protein

Zma before bed

- with that i think im going to be taking in at a minimum of 4000 calories a day, probably alot more...

off days are pretty much the same with exception of not having any dextrose or carbs for that matter at all...

please tell me what you think and dont feel bad bashing me or whatever, i can take it ;)

Edit * What inspired me to do it like this, is having access to 100's of pounds of deer meat from my uncles recent killing spree.... steaks at my disposal! its better than christmas

Edit * I forgot that i made the exception for carbs on any of the above meal if veggies are available... I usually eat broccoli 2-3 times a week and throw in a salad with good veggies now and again.

Scorpion32
02-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Where are your complex carbs??

Scorpion32
02-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Where are your complex carbs??

Didn't see the last line. I still think you need more complex carbs. Oatmeal in the morning, yam with your steak. I don't know what sugar stuff/dextrose is but it sounds bad!

sleeplessaddict
02-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Didn't see the last line. I still think you need more complex carbs. Oatmeal in the morning, yam with your steak. I don't know what sugar stuff/dextrose is but it sounds bad!

i think the idea behind the dextrose which is a fast acting carb, is to raise insulin levels for better absorption for the protein, but im really new considering i've only been doing this for less than a half a year, so correct me if im wrong or you think its a bad idea.

Slim Schaedle
02-05-2007, 08:26 AM
I don't know what sugar stuff/dextrose is but it sounds bad!

Don't take this personally, but it is a good idea to learn more about basic diet/nutrition stuff such as glucose before offering advice pertaining to carbohydrates.

Mr. D
02-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Dextrose is a great carb to take around a workout. I would track all that food in fitday and see what your totals come to.

I eat my carbs in meal 1 upon rising and pre/post workout. The rest of the meals are P+F meals.

You do need to eat more veggies.

12 oz of pasta?Thats practically 250g of carbs right there.

sleeplessaddict
02-05-2007, 10:10 AM
i see the diet as being sucessful to me at least for a while, comming from such a crappy diet, to a somewhat balanced carb cycle diet. i know im probably fine since im young, but i wish the diet had less cholesteral =/ but then again im probably not storing the ammount of cholesteral that someone on my diet not working out, would take. i think the only thing im going to change is when i run out of mono get some creatine ethyl ester. im probably going to do this diet for a few more months as a bulk maybe a slight cut for summer but then im back to bulk...

Mr. D
02-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Dietary cholesterol doesnt affect blood cholesterol unless you have a genetic predisposition to it.

RenegadeOfFunk
02-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Don't know if deer steak is lean or not, you wanna be increasing your kcal above maintenance by 250-500 at least

sleeplessaddict
02-06-2007, 05:19 AM
deer is like in between beef and chicken i think, so it is pretty lean, i think its like 98 percent lean.... but i can cook it pretty good and it tastes great,