PDA

View Full Version : Why is natural peanut butter better?

speak
02-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Why is natural peanut butter a better choice?

What's the difference between Natural peanut butter vs. Reduced fat peanut butter (eg Skippy reduced fat)?

isosceles
02-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Natural peanut butter has completely zero trans fat per serving, while everything else has like 0.3g of trans fat per serving even though it says 0 on the nutrition facts.

Mr. D
02-05-2007, 12:47 PM
First, Peanut butter is eaten for its healthy fat source. There is no need to get reduced fat PB. You wouldnt buy reduced protein chicken would you?

second, natural peanut butter is in its well as the name says natural state. Brands like skippy,Jif,peter pan will add junk like partially hydrogenated oil (TRANS FAT) and sugar to it. There is no need for that and it doesnt do a body good. The only ingredients of PB should be PEANUTS and SALT.

sleeplessaddict
02-05-2007, 02:19 PM
i bought some skippy natural peanut butter.... im not exactly sure what about it is any different other than its only ingredients are roasted peanuts sugar palm oil and salt. i dont see any other types of oils... if im not mistaken, palm oil is kind of like vegetable oil which probably isnt so good, but i think its better than regular peanut butter, and it tastes better than the other natural pbs, but probably isnt that good for u.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Natural peanut butter is healthier, does not contain trans fat, and tastes better than regular peanut butter. Natural peanut butter is essentially what it's supposed to be. Natural is the real "normal" peanut butter because that's how it was when it was first invented by George Washington Carver. With the introduction of new technology...we now have cutting edge ways to manipulate foods to make them incredibly bad for the human body. Try to eat as natural as possible. Processed junk food and hydrogenated oils just aren't good for the body.

FireRescue
02-05-2007, 04:32 PM
I agree the Skippy Natural is better than regular Jif or other "non-natural" peanut butters, but all natural is still better.

The best natty PB I have found is Krema.

Mr. D
02-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Skippy is a step above regular pb but a step below true natural PB. There is no need to add sugar or palm oil to PB. I like target brand, Market Pantry. Its a 1.91 to 1.99 for a jar.

Kroger brand at 2.19 a jar is good too. If you want to spend a little more, Smuckers at 2.29 is good too. If you really want to go full board, go to whole foods or central market, where you can see the peanuts grind right in front of you and you get the organic variety for like 3.99/lb.

Howard 9
02-05-2007, 05:51 PM
**** i cant believe those companies can get away with puttin down 0g of trans fat when its really 0.3. I feel cheated lol. Gonna pick up some natty pb tomorrow definetly.

Casey Butt
02-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Most of the brand name peanut butters are largely icing sugar and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils ...if they say no trans fats it probably means they're using palm kernel oil (which is largely MCT so it isn't so bad).

Essentially, if it isn't "natural" peanut butter, then it really isn't peanut butter - it's peanut paste mixed with processed sugars and oils.

saleen01
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
i recntly found a health store in toronto that you buy the peanuts and press your own peanut butter on the spot, and its about the third of the cost of regular natty peanut butters

JConrad
02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Natural peanut butter is healthier, does not contain trans fat, and tastes better than regular peanut butter. Natural peanut butter is essentially what it's supposed to be. Natural is the real "normal" peanut butter because that's how it was when it was first invented by George Washington Carver. With the introduction of new technology...we now have cutting edge ways to manipulate foods to make them incredibly bad for the human body. Try to eat as natural as possible. Processed junk food and hydrogenated oils just aren't good for the body.

You're right about everything except peanut butter wasn't invented by Washington Carver, it was invented by an unknown St Louis phyician in the 1890's.
http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=460

I'm not sure where the myth about Washington Carver came from.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-06-2007, 02:41 PM
You're right about everything except peanut butter wasn't invented by Washington Carver, it was invented by an unknown St Louis phyician in the 1890's.
http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=460

I'm not sure where the myth about Washington Carver came from.My bad. Apparently George Washington Carver made it "popular". And apparently the idea of "peanut butter" has been toyed with a lot longer than the 1890's.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blpeanutbutter.htm

Alex.V
02-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Most of the brand name peanut butters are largely icing sugar and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils

This is flat out incorrect.

Most brand name peanut butters contain about 1.5-2 grams of added sugar per serving (32 grams; i.e. 2 tablespoons), and around 0.025-0.2 grams of trans fats (depending on who you ask... 0.025 is the FDA conclusion) per serving. (Out of 16 total grams of fat). If you want to call ~5% "largely", then we may have a definitional issue.

Natural peanut butter is "largely" a marketing scheme. There's no reason it should cost more, and the health benefits are marginal at best. Welcome to the wonderful world of hype and bandwagons.

You want to reduce your sugar intake, skip a piece of fruit. You want to cut a fifth of a gram of trans fats out of your diet, then avoid cooking one meal on high heat.

There are some things worth worrying about. This isn't one of them.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Your posts intrigue me, Belial.

Well if nothing else, Natty PB just tastes better to me. And since I eat a lot of freaking peanut butter, the small amounts of "insignificant" bad things do become something to consider when they add up.

JConrad
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
When I first started eating PB 8 months ago it was nice, now its a chore. I eat a spoonful with my protein shake and get it out of the way.

Alex.V
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Your posts intrigue me, Belial.

Well if nothing else, Natty PB just tastes better to me. And since I eat a lot of freaking peanut butter, the small amounts of "insignificant" bad things do become something to consider when they add up.

Honestly, sometimes I DO like it better, so I hear ya. If there's no preference either way, yeah, it's better. I just don't think people need to go out of their way to force-feed themselves the natty stuff, or pay extra for it if they're already on a tight budget.

Quick note:

Best part of the natty stuff.. I used to pour the oil off the top into a bowl, throw in some dutch cocoa, add some splenda, mix it, then freeze it.

Makes some damn good chocolate.

jamrock
02-06-2007, 05:16 PM
The palm oil in the "Natural Skippy" is so it doesn't split up and get all oily like the regular natural pb's.. I use smuckers natty and its the same price (or just about) as the other ****.. Can't say I use it for its healthy benefits when I glaze the stuff with grape jelly..