PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and training

Hardwareman
02-05-2007, 10:04 PM
I was wondering how bad alcohol (beer) consumption was for someone trying to get into shape. Let's assume binge drinking now, and only on weekends but this particular individual drinks to get hammered.

Still bad?

Allen

Mr. D
02-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Its pretty bad for a couple of reasons.

Alcohol slows down your metabolism and impedes muscle growth. Alcohol also wastes alot of vital vitamins and minerals in your body. Alcohol is very calorically dense by volume and thus this guy will be adding lots of cals to his daily intake. Finally, when one is drunk, they tend to binge eat at the end of the night as well.

Fredd
02-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I think it depends if your fat or skinny and what type of training you are looking for. Personally I drink around 1-2 times a week...and If you eat a lot the day you gonna drink and the day after your drunk time you will be alright...I guess it depends of the type of your body too. I made good gains drinking beer 1-2 times a week.

Slim Schaedle
02-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I was wondering how bad alcohol (beer) consumption was for someone trying to get into shape. Let's assume binge drinking now, and only on weekends but this particular individual drinks to get hammered.

Still bad?

Allen

Depends on how bad you want to reach your goals, or what your goals are.

You can compare scientific studies to personal anecdotal eveidence, but in the end, people are going to do what they want based on how serious they are.

Fredd
02-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Depends on how bad you want to reach your goals, or what your goals are.

You can compare scientific studies to personal anecdotal eveidence, but in the end, people are going to do what they want based on how serious they are.

exactly.

greekboy80
02-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Well, I'm guessing this "someone" is you...

But, who really cares? I drink just about every weekend, and i get hammerd. And I look pretty decent. Alot better than all of my friends.

Are You(oops), is this "someone" trying to be Mr. O someday? Is he in contests? If not, Who really cares...

What's life if you cant have fun?

Slim Schaedle
02-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Well, I'm guessing "this guy" is you...

But, who really cares? I drink just about every weekend, and i get hammerd. And I look pretty decent. Alot better than all of my friends.

Are You(oops), is "your friend" trying to be Mr. O someday? Is he in contests? If not, Who really cares...

What's life if you cant have fun?

<-- doesn't see "friend" mentioned anywhere in OP's post.

<-- thinks the post above this one is useless in terms of addessing the actual question.

greekboy80
02-06-2007, 12:47 PM
^ sorry, I meant to say "someone". I'll go ahead and edit that...

^ also, I think it's a very useful comment to his question. He asks is is bad for someone who is trying to get into shape...my answer was no.

Is it great for your body? No
Could it limit your gains? Yes
Can you get in shape while having fun and drinking on the weekends? YES

Enjoy your weekends and Bust you A*S in the gym. Track you progress and make adjustments...

Trust me, you dont want to be 40 yrs old looking back wishing that you would have partied more rather than sit at home on the weekends and work out. You cant ever go back, only foreward...

Enjoy your life you only live once...

JConrad
02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm lucky because I cannot stand alcohol (I'm 32) I tried it a few times when I was younger but I haven't touched it in years.

greekboy80
02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
^ Jconrad, thats perfect, if you dont want to you dont have to. Thats what makes it great, to each their own!

But for the original question, if he wants to, dont hold back. Just work out hard during the week and enjoy your weekends.

And dont drink and drive. That, you should never do!

DaveG
02-09-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm guessing greekboy is in a frat?
If you fit your cals from drinking into your diet, you will be fine.

Slim Schaedle
02-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm guessing greekboy is in a frat?
If you fit your cals from drinking into your diet, you will be fine.

The calorie content of alcohol would be the least of someone's worries in regards to training.

Additionally, this topic has been covered previously in other threads so further discussion should be added to one of those.

whiteman90909
02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Click here. (http://wannabebigforums.com/search.php?searchid=941727)